[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 115869l.jpg (78 KB, 424x600)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>You will be cucked
>You will be a wagie
>And you WILL be happy
>>
But he wasn't happy the anime makes this very clear
>>
>>237696103
should have deleted the "nn"
>>
File: mkv_snapshot8.jpg (132 KB, 1920x1080)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>237696214
>But he wasn't happy the anime makes this very clear
This is his face in the last episode right before credits roll.
>>
>>237696103
It's a baseball league here in the world of Monkey Mountain
>>
>>237696346
He realized he's been Sonny boy all along
>>
>>237696103
It seems like I didn’t miss much glad I dropped this at episode 4. who thought it was a good idea to make most of the episode about some retard talking baseball and monkeys.
>>
>>237696346
kino
>>
>>237696103
Kill yourself, election tourist.
>>
>>237696103
>>237696346
>leaves paradise to work as a low paid wageslave
massive COPE for salarymonkeys. why does /a/ think this is enlightened? the point of it is "yeah society sucks but we wont do anything to solve our social problems even though the solution is simple, easy, and free (8 hour workday enforced instead of allowing salaryslaves to be abused); so just cope with it or something. misery is a virtue. uhhhh confucius said so!"

sonny boy is trash, japan is trash, and sb luggage lads are trash.
"don't dream, just work. don't think about why you are miserable. keep working."
>>
File: easy breezy meezy.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>237697063
>>237696577
>>237696214
>>237696225
It's not sad to me because they're both clearly in better places both mentally/physically than they were pre-drifting. Nagara becomes more confident, moves out of his shitty house, and realizes that he doesn't need to rely on Nozomi for happiness. On a smaller note, he also becomes more empathetic and realizes the importance of life which is shown when helping out the bird at the end. Which is something he didn't do in the beginning. He was too cowardly to face conflict head on, by the end though, not so much. Thus he moves on with his life. It should also be noted that Nagara potentially asking out Nozomi in this world isn't completely out of the question either. He now has the will to befriend her, like she wanted to after they came back to the "real world". And sure, he's currently working at a shitty job, and so have most us who watched it have/are. But just because times may be hard for you now, doesn't mean that they'll always be that way. It's better to tackle our fears head on.

If you could lucid dream for eternity, eventually you would get very bored because nothing was dictated against you. You'd literally want to stop being lucid just to have a genuine experience, regardless of how mundane it is.
>>
>>237696577
Imagine being this filtered
>>
>>237697063
The state of affairs in Japan is truly sad, the Japanese are one of the most close minded and autustically stubborn people on earth, they would rather die and take their country with them if it means upholding traditions and laws written and established 300 years ago.
>>
>>237698160
basically. and it isn't even anything crazy that we're asking for. just establish a 40 hour workweek and dont let companies work people until they die. that's all. it wouldn't even cost them anything because per hour those excessive work hours are not even productive. an american working 8 hours accomplishes more than a japanese does working 14. they're all torturing each other for no reason at all, but no one wants to be the first to stop it. millions of people are suffering and having their lives bodies and minds destroyed for no reason at all. and japan makes an anime that says, "this is fine. stop dreaming about a better life. work until you die. if you can't work, turn your soul off and keep working."

people defending SB are metaphysically evil.
>>
>>237697155
based post
>>
>>237698160
>laws written and established 300 years ago
The english do the same with laws written 800 years ago. It's not that uncommon.
>>
>>237696103
I had to drop this a few episodes in. It was so goddamn pretentious.
>>
>>237698591
grow up
>>
>>237698603
That’s why I stopped watching SB. I remembered I’m an adult and not some teenager who wants to be perceived as smart by others.
>>
>>237698430
Yeah, buth karoshi and work culture is the least of their problems, no, it actually is part of an intricate web of problems which are all tied together and made worse because of how rigid and unforgiving Japanese culture is as a whole.
>>237698536
I didn't know that, which 800 year old important laws do the English government still enforce and blatantly and stubbornly refuse to change?
>>
I miss it so much bros
>>
>>237698736
karoshi is the most visible issue. and frankly it's a lynchpin. if you didn't have daddy working himself to death most other societal issues would be resolved. child emotional neglect for example. that can't be fixed until daddy stops being worked 16 hours a day, gone from 5am to 1am every day. from that you could fix the bullying, exclusion, rigid social structures that cause anxiety and vegetarianism, and other bullshit.

or honestly i think education on basic psychology might solve 80% of it. i mean, japan has no problems except self-created problems. they aren't poor and they dont have a certain color criminal element being 1/4 of their population. all their problems could be fixed by saying, "stop being a retarded hard-headed cunt and have a little empathy." instead you get served a shit sandwich like sonny boy, that gaslights these struggling overworked chronically-depressed people who see something wrong with a terrifyingly stiff social standard and the salaryman lifestyle, and tells them it's actually a good thing and here's why, and some midwits on /a/ praise it as the best anime ever created because it's full of pretty colors and they didn't understand it so it must be really smart. it's just painful.
>>
>>237698877
Me too.
>>
>>237698990
Just to get this out of the way, I actually really enjoyed Sonny boy I think it's more a coming of age story about growing up than a stance on work culture, though if you view it through the lens of Japanese society and put the message of the series in a japanese perspective, yeah, it's uite as you say it is, even if it's unintended.

First of all I want to make things clear, japanese work culture is not about "work your ass off repeatedly like a slave all of your life without a break", it's more about "BE at work at the expense of every other aspect of your life, we don't really care what you do, just dedicate your everything and sell your soul to us".
One of the main goals of a Japanese company is that their employees see the company as a second family, the Gallup survey of 2017 showed that even though Japanese people spend a lot of hours at work they are the least productive out of most of European countries and the USA, I find it hilarious that when a housewife was shown this graph the woman said "how can that be? My husband spends all of his day at work."
To properly respond to what you said, I think that to fix Japanese work culture you have to change the Japanese way of thinking, you cannot solve anything in any country if you don't change the way people think.
>>
File: 1622993440006.png (76 KB, 1012x664)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>237699688
>they are the least productive out of most of European countries and the USA
This. Imagine being Japanese. And Germany isn't even the most productive. There are like 5 European (non) countries (e.g. Norway, Belgium, Ireland, Luxembourg) with even better numbers. Japanese politicians even enacted laws to counter-act all the unregistered overwork, but it hasn't have had much of an effect yet.

Fuck Sonny Boy apologists. Being a Japanese wageslave is a miserable experience.
>>
>>237700232
indiabros?
>>
>>237699688
You're probably right about that. I just see externally that they work insane hours, but the hours derive from the mindset of selling themselves mind body and soul to the company. It's the mindset that is the cause of that. Japanese work culture is really fucked up. It's safe for people to criticise american work culture for not having guaranteed PTO and things like that, but in america you can enter a new job with just a single interview whenever you want, and quit a job whenever you want. the company has limited control over their employees and there is much more social equality in the relationship. there are healthy boundaries for what the company can and cannot do to employees. in japan it's different. you're expected to be perfect out of the gate. that's why getting fired in japan is so devastating, because it's unusual to look for a new job ever and most companies assume the employee is a criminal or something. it's extremely abusive and does come from this dysfunctional mindset. on the surface it might sound great to say, "the company is your second family, so give them your all!" but the ramifications are horrifying when you think what it actually entails and works out to. so yes, collapsed salarymen falling down in their apartment entryway at 2am and waking up at 5am to do it again is just what we see on the surface.

however, i do hold that Sonny Boy is apologist for this. instead of suggesting that cultural dysfunction needs to change so people can live decently, they place the blame on the abused overworked salarymen, "this is just reality. daydreams are for children. stop hoping for anything better. deaden your soul and keep working like a slave until you die." that's the message i get from it, and it's immensely disturbing that /a/ is lauding this just because it has pretty art direction. it's abusive and fucked up to the point the series creeps me out to the bottom of my soul.
>>
>>237696103
Why do all artsy anime promote cuckery?
>>
>>237700404
they think it makes them big brain to mindlessly copy (((avant garde))) trends from american kosher circles. utena is a smart anime pretending to be stupid. sonny boy is a stupid anime pretending to be smart.
>>
>>237696103
>Anons calling SonnyBoy a wagie apologist anime
>They completely speedwatched/skipped the bloc carrying episode
Impressive, shitposters, impressive.
>>
>>237700324
I don't know, it's been a while since I watched sonny boy but I don't think the message of it is "haha! Give up on your silly dilusions and come be an overworked slave! Don't you see how good it is?" I don't think the series tried to send that message at all, when MC comes back to the real world, reality isn't shown to us as this objectively better place, is grim, dark, grey, imperfect, a world in which not everything goes your way (emphasized by the supposed NTR, which correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember MC ever having feelings for the chick anyway) which is a DIRECT contrast to the world he just left, but the imperfect world he chose to live in, well, it's reality, of course if you could actually live out your fantasies in a dream like world in our reality, the question of "should I really leave this place?" Would have more weight to it and all, but I don't think that is where the series is trying to go.
When I watched Sonny boy I couldn't help but to draw comparisons between the anime to studio Ghibli's "I can hear the sea" (one of my personal favourite movies) in the way in which the fresh, idealistic and free youth is left behind and the dullness of adulthood enters, normally, accepting it all as "I had my fun in my youth, but life goes on". Of course the movie doesn't end in a sad note but still...I can't really put in into words, and I can understand how some people may be angry at how stupid it is that MC left this objectively better world to live in reality, Japanese reality out of all things. I think that sonny boy is really meta with its uncomfortable, depressing but honest and universal message: Enjoy your youth, but at some point in time, you will, inevitably, have to face reality.

(1/2)
>>
>>237700324
>>237702385
And with what you said, the thing about being angry that they don't address the problems of their reality, it's saddening and angry to me too, but you have to cut them some slack, they are litteraly hardwired to not question traditions and customs nor what the collective thinks, hopefully In the coming generations the Japanese will start to wake up to the realization that the only way in which they can better their country is not looking back and silently following outdated traditions but looking forward into the future.

(2/2)
>>
File: 1639071083398.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>237696577
>It's a baseball league here in the world of Monkey Mountain,
>played by the great monkeys, which started when the first ball and bat
>and the rules of the game were handed down to them.
>In the Monkey League, a number of great players arose
>from among the nameless monkeys,
>whose faces and appearances all looked the same.
>They included the legendary home run king,
>who batted an unprecedented, record-breaking
>80 home runs in one year, Steroid Monkey;
>the one who bested the god of batting, Monkey River's career batting average
>by two thousandths, the miracle hitting machine, Upper Monkey;
>the greatest catcher of the Bigfoot era, Mister Monkey;
>later, as manager, he would go on to break the record for most league wins,
>with a legendary ten-season-long streak!
>Then came the golden age of the M-League.
>A miracle monkey came along
>and shattered those previous legends one by one--
>the monster, Monkey Blue!
>This maverick of the league was the only one with blue hair,
>who, despite weathering ugly discrimination and crafty persecution,
>triumphed over them with overwhelming talent, ultimately becoming a hero,
>and a symbol of hope for the monkeys!
>Although a rookie, Blue put the brakes to the king, Steroid Monkey!
>Breaking his bat as well as his heart, Blue drove him to retirement.
>Then, with his mighty pitching arm,
>Blue led the underdog team Monkey and Club to victory,
>preventing Bigfoot's championship streak from reaching 11.
>The public accepted this new hair color,
>and there was no doubt in anybody's mind
>that the era of Monkey Blue had begun! But then...
>...that great tragedy, when a near-perfect game was foiled,
>and a monkey was killed, took place!
>>
>>237700404
because that's the kind of reject would watch anime in the first place
>>
File: Kagari.jpg (137 KB, 1178x720)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>237700404
Its not cuckery though. Cuckery requires the loser to have some degenerate pleasure kink out of it.
It's just handling a relationship fallout.

The reason why all these artsy films have characters with failed relationships is ultimately because its a realistic dilemmia.
Getting the one close character in the show like classic roms feels like cheesy wish fullfillment. They know that's not how it worked. For most people, getting a partner requires wading through an ocean of rejection and break ups.
>>
>>237696103
wat is the message of the series??? shit like the series itself. Shit I'll never understand this cuck fetish.
>>
>>237696103
A horrible series and a loss of good animation by the way.
>>
>>237702807
good post
for a brainless chimp everything that doesn't fulfill his shitty wishes and daydreams is considered cuckery, they can't deal with grief and thus lash out when unexpected happens
>>
>>237696577
The monkey episode was one of the best. You genuinely were filtered.
>>
>>237703103
It's to accept life is imperfect and stop being a bitch who is afraid of failure.
Fail upwards and cope with your mundanity effectively.
>>
File: 16435677528630.jpg (63 KB, 640x807)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>237696346
Literally same face
I'm too lazy to launch photoshop and edit the title into that frame
>>
>>237697155
you mean it's better to let go what you have so you can work to get it back?
>>
>>237703103
>ESCAPISM BAD
>YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE SYSTEM, ONLY OBEY
>NOW GO BACK TO WORK, GOYIM
>>
File: 1631819330241.jpg (107 KB, 1242x703)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
This shit was only worth watching for Mizuho otherwise, wouldn't have bothered sticking around.
>>
>>237698160
seething chink
>>
>>237704532
Chinks also work like ants to the point of killing themselves. Braindead retard. Asians live like colony insects which was fine when the world population was 1/3 of what it is now and endless and ever increasing consumption wasn't the aim of the entire world.
>>
>>237696103
Let me guess, people that liked Mob Psycho also liked this one, haha.
>>
>>237702807
>Realistic=good
Brainlet take
>>
File: Mayakashi2.jpg (30 KB, 291x187)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>237704976
The fact that your only take from it was "Muh realism le good" shows how much of a brainlet YOU are anon.
>>
>>237705100
>NO U
Concession accepted
>>
>>237705100
Why do you eve responding to these idiots? You know they aren't here to actually discuss anything right?
>>
>>237704118
Not really, but that reminds me of another life lesson that's cliché but rings true
>You don't appreciate what you have until you've lost it
>>
There's nothing wrong with complacency and going with the flow like Nagara did
>>
>>237696103
You can't cuck me if I never had sex and gf
>>
>>237708148
>You can't cuck me if I never had sex and gf
Well said, anon! but you can also have sex without a girlfriend. That's what whores are for. Advice from an experienced anon, a good time with a whore is better than a long bad experience.
>>
I loved sonny boy
it seemed like everything was set up for it to be meaningless, artsy fartsy, convoluted, pretentious bullshit but it was really fun and wistful. I think the message of the ending is a bit more nuanced than "ESCAPISM BAD"
>>237702429
I'm gonna level with you, I had to rewatch the first half of this episode because I thought him going on a long tangent about monkey baseball was just a bit, I didn't think it was gonna be central to the point of that episode so I didn't really pick up any of the details at first
>>
>>237696103
This is the best isekai anime in recent years
>>
>>237704126
BASADO
>>
>>237708780
No, no está BASADO.
>>
Shingo Natsume is an okay director and a nice animator but a weak writer, at least for his debute as one in Sonny Boy.
Due to the targeted demographic, there are two recurrent themes in most of anime that aspire to be artistic : coming of age and escapism ; as we can see this in the works of studio Gainax, Satoshi Kon and as far as modern anime is concerned, Gurren Lagann and The Tatami Galaxy, besides other works of shounen, shoujo and so on.

Sonny Boy is about a bunch of teenangers on the verge of entering the young adult life of having a job and paying taxes, with all the worrying and anxieties that come with it, illustrated in a highschool isolated by an endless black void for the protagonists and their absence of understanding or even seeing what's beyound their bubble. Resulting to them shutting down and exploring the possibilities of the future paths, in an identity-journey of self-reflection across alternative worlds, until finding the right way for each through this mess that renders your most recognized talents irrelevant, by one effective compass that is the Heart. Time is static, and Space is fragmented. Before your heart enters into action, you have to adjust your perspective by rewinding back the film of your memory.
Shingo Natsume created a good concept with a classic message and executed the whole thing in a surreal freestyle riffing, which resulted in a fine tone and some handicaps sadly. The pace is well managed, we are in a mundane "life" with some super powers, and almost no soundtrack. We can clearly see the influence of previous works he worked on ; mainly The Tatami Galaxy and Acca. I think this is Natsume training for his next project that is The Tatami Galaxy's Sequel.
1/3
>>
>>237710236
The cast are not compelling, their dialogues are redundant, they lack chemistry, they are self insert and most of the time is spent on vagueness, irrelevant mystery bait that won't matter by the next episode because the setting is changing constantly. Of course it is stated from the beginning that their "this world" is ruled by the absurd, but it's a double edged sword especially when you grasp the message and it becomes clear by the first few episodes, rendering it just a "plot"-device to "relativistically" do whatever he wants since "nothing matters and everything matters" as they said.
Another thing that weighted this anime down is the finale...in my opinion at least despite me thinking i understood Shingo Natsume's aim...it made it like the whole thing was inside of the MC's mind and all that experimantal animation was to portray the confusion and deliver a simple anti-escapist coming of age message. The "cute girl that saves you" is just imaginary and something that will never happen just let go, keep the memories and follow your heart... Good Natsume you are reality-checking the otakus and their power fantasy isekais ! Eventhough the mc made the breakthrough with a girl and he happened to connect with her in the real "boring" world..?? You can see how Natsume is trying to play with us over here.
2/3
>>
>>237710236
>>237710274
In this current era stagnated with isekais, this was a refreshing one and a brave move from Natsume, despite the fact that he couldn't fully achieve what he aspired to ; a new Tatami Galaxy, a new FLCL, a new Paranoia Agent maybe ! with a mundane tone and average "relatable" characters. The aforementionned titles succeed in every departement ; characters organic chemistry, surreal animation and last but not least : a satisfying powerful catharsis.

Imma break a dimension too and suggest few works relevant to Sonny Boy more or less ;
-The Tatami Galaxy, FLCL,Paranoia Agent : eccentric characters, escapism,surreal animation, other worlds/possibilities, choice or l'embarras du choix.

-if you want to know more about the Soufi way of the heart and the intuition, the works of these gentleman are the true compass : Al-Ghazzali, Ibn-Arabi,Henri Bergson, René Guénon.
3/3
>>
>>237696103
Last episode was clearly meant to be unpleasant, specially the netorare scenes.
It kinda reminds me of Sayaka from Madoka Magica. She also romanticized the idea of the person she loves being happy without taking into account her own happiness... and then she realized she is not a selfless cartoon character.
The idea I got here was more like 'life sucks, but do your best anyway'.
>>
>>237710236
>>237710274
>>237710311
>using mal for copy pasta reviews
Anon, are you still stuck in 2008?
>>
>>237709319
OH, it definitely is. Mah bruh!
>>
>>237710543
old mal knows more about anime and cinema in general than most people currently posting on /a/ who've only started watching anime in the past 5 years
>>
File: sonnyboy.webm (2.83 MB, 1920x1080)
2.83 MB
2.83 MB WEBM
I feel like the people that didn't enjoy Sonny Boy only consume anime and no other forms of media, let alone books.
>>
File: sonnyboy.png (3.81 MB, 1735x978)
3.81 MB
3.81 MB PNG
>itt: Filtered
>>
>>237711811
it's possible to get a message and not like that message, anon
>>
>>237711779
I really don't understand how you can shit on Sonny Boy when 90+% of anime coming out every season is completely pleb-tier. Not that SB requires a PhD in philosophy, but it's still way above the usual shlock
>>
>>237711779
Is Sonny Boy the most kino anime from last 10 years?
>>
>>237711865
i'm convinced most of /a/ are just moeshit pedophiles with bad taste and actual bottom of the barrel iq
>>
>>237711362
No, cerra el orto, no está BASADO...Está ENVASADO.
>>
File: god I wish that were me.png (696 KB, 1280x711)
696 KB
696 KB PNG
>>237711811
I like this collage, did you make it?
>>
>>237711811
I really like the art of that place in which the blonde chick the dog guy likes stays, damn, the animation in this show is amazing.
>>
>>237711811
>it's good because uh... shiny colors!!!
>>
File: 1644843069963.png (61 KB, 653x367)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
Good morning sirs. My name is Rajdhani pajeet and I work in IT. I like eating curry and worshipping cows. Show bobs n vegana!
>>
>>237712533
fuck you I love raj
he deserves every bob and vagene on the planet
>>
>>237696577
F I L T E R E D
>>
>>237711865
>understand how you can shit on Sonny Boy
Uh simple. It’s boring.
>>
>>237711811
Wow looks pretty, that must mean that the message is correct!
>>
>>237711865
at least other shit anime don't pretend to be deep and important
>>
File: sonny boy.png (1.99 MB, 1445x1800)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB PNG
>>
>>237712198
it's shit compared to ping pong
>>
>>237712902
>a harem of sluts
>a cute girl, a cat, a big weird dog and a compass
kek
>>
as a NEET i hate this series on principle. what it's trying to say goes against my core beliefs, i value freedom to a much higher degree and can't appreciate this take at all. i'd rather live my entire life poor as fuck but doing whatever i want all day every day than go back to wanting to kill myself in an office.
>>
>>237713112
Good, this is not what the series is about tough.
>>
>>237713112
Okay, what the fuck does any of that have to do with sonny boy?
>>
>>237713357
>>237713376
>become wageslave and like it: the anime
>>
>>237713399
No,more like "litteral coming of age story about facing reality and leaving youth behind." Can't believe you feel so personally attacked by such a simple, universal message.
>>
>>237713470
cope etc
>>237712902
>>
>>237713399
It's about facing the hardships of reality head on instead of running away from your fears. It's about gaining confidence, moving on, and getting all that life has to offer through the good and bad.
>>
>>237713560
>no argument just redirects to funny meme image
I accept your concession
>>
>>237713560
Actual brainrot.
>>
>>237712885
This. I don’t watch 90% of anime. I watched Sonny Boy. It was trash. At least some anime are honest about being otaku power fantasy garbage. Sonny Boy is dogshit compared to shows like Tatami Galaxy or Paranoia Agent and has an awful message.
>>
>>237713470
Except Sonny Boy outright says that growing up means being a cucked wagie who will die in their 40s from overwork.
>>
>>237713822
where?
>>
>>237710236
Is this that one Mauritanian autist, or is there more than one pretentious North African francophone shitposting on /a/?
>>
>>237712390
Pffffffffhahaah my fucking sidess!!!
>>
>>237711811
Snyder could never
>>
It was fine until the NTR at the end. Then it became garbage.
>>
>>237712909
This and I don't even care about Yuasa overall
>>
Why people keep saying this shit has NTR? Is that true?
>>
>>237717654
I guess theyre talking about at the very end when they go back to the real world and the nozomi there isn't the nozomi that was with them, so shes with the other guy. I really don't think that counts as cuck shit though, if I was thrown into an alternate timeline where I didn't exist or never met my girlfriend, I would probably be depressed that my girlfriend didn't know me, but I wouldn't say I was cucked
>>
File: 1641511890896.png (81 KB, 436x337)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>The fucking japanese Microsoft branch of all companies enable an experiment where workers are allowed to fuck off and stay home from friday till monday
>Work productivity spike with an additional 20% plus all the economical saving such as switching the fucking lights off
>Nothing come out of it
>>
>>237712627
Raj was too based for this gay Earth, I hope he got to see everything in his journey across the worlds.
>>
>>237717654
only people who haven't had real relationships think that was NTR
>>
>>237712442
I didn't make it, just saved from another "Sonny Boy filtered the moeshitters" thread a few months ago
>>
>>237696103
Who was the principal anyways? God?
>>
>>237704160
yup
>>
>>237712909
>ping pong
Es un muñeco muy guapo y de carton
>>
>>237718442
me too anon
I don't really even know exactly why I like him so much, I just think hes neat
>>
>>237718460
Ah, got it. I like the aesthetic.
>>
>Style without Substance: The Anime
>>
>>237698160
>the Japanese are one of the most close minded and autustically stubborn people on earth, they would rather die and take their country with them if it means upholding traditions and laws written and established 300 years ago.
Have you bin that knife yet, bong boy?
>>
>>237713586
Didn't Nagara and Mizuho only want to return to the real world because Noizumi died and all their friends moved on? How is that facing the hardships of reality?
>>
>>237698430
>>237698990
>>237700324
>>237702385
>>237702425
>"I never been to Japan before, but I know everything about it's work culture!"
>"Please take me seriously!"
>>
File: miles-edgeworth.gif (252 KB, 256x192)
252 KB
252 KB GIF
>>237719743
No argument?
>>
File: 1631670358298.jpg (79 KB, 1280x1791)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>237696346
Same vibe
>>
>>237718419
they've been doing these productivity studies for decades

They always find that less work hours = more productivity.

Companies never give employees less work hours because it's not about money, it's about keeping the working man too tired to enjoy life and revolt.
>>
>>237719975
What argument? Why should I take anything you retards have to say? Where do you get your info anyway? Wikipedia?
>>
>>237720192
Ok, what are the points you think I'm taking from Wikipedia?
>>
>>237696103
More like
>you will be cucked
>you will be a wagie
>you may never be happy
>but that's okay because that's how you should live
>>
>>237696346
greatest final ep to an anime in years. Great show.
>>
>>237720451
how should we live then?
>>
>>237719571
Nagara gains confidence, moves out of his shitty house, and realizes that he doesn't need to rely on "real world" Nozomi for happiness. On a smaller note, he also helps out the bird at the end. All of the aforementioned events were conflicts he was too scared to tackle head on. He was afraid to leave his fucked up family, get a job to support himself, and realizes life is worth living. Hence why he helps out the bird. After finally conquering these problems he moves on with his life.

As for Mizuho, she almost literally had life given to her on a silver platter thanks to the cats which accompanied her for most of her life and got her whatever she wanted. While in the other world she had difficulty imagining life without them, as did the cats with her. However both of them realize that in order to grow up she can't rely on them to fix her problems for her.

Noizumi encouraged them to stop running away from their fears and to find the confidence within themselves, that she always knew they had, to deal with the struggles of growing up head on.
>>
>>237717654
Don't let shitposters misinform you, there's no NTR
>>
>>237720698
change society
>>
>>237720451
>"I was told I was special when I was a kid!"
>"And now I'm a shut-in neckbeard and I hate everything!!
>>
>>237720781
>change society
Bet you haven't even changed your bedsheets in the past year.
>>
>>237720827
You may be more than happy to accept everything at face value but there exist people who see flaws and injustices within contemporary society and want to work to change it. Society has never remained static.
>>
File: 1563252483020.jpg (11 KB, 249x249)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>237720850
>there exist people who see flaws and injustices within contemporary society and want to work to change it
And you expect me to believe you're one of those people?
>>
>>237712902
this. sign me up for ego death instead.
>>
>>237696346
Bug in the machine expression. Waggies would ever...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6sU0lJcnyc
>>
>>237720374
Well, "knowing" what karoshi is one thing. But something tells me you read far too many anti-jap articles and watch a lot of youtube videos to convince yourself that your some expert on Japanese work culture.
>>
>>237720994
Of course not. That's why we all should just stop thinking about changing society! After all if I am not one of these people then my point is completely invalidated!
Viva wageslavery! Viva cuckoldry! Long live modern self-destructive society!
>>
>>237723816
You really think so? Just to be clear my responses in the comment you (I assume) you made are:
>>237702385
>>237702425
The first one has nothing to do with Japanese culture at all, and the second is a well known fact, I don't think you can make a counter argument on how actually Japanese culture isn't extremely conservative and stubborn and how much this not only hurts japanese people physically (via work ethic as the such) and psychologically (via the way they interact with eachother). When you say "anti Japanese videos" I don't really know what you mean, as opposed to what? Videos that suck up to Japan and try to hide its flaws? (which become evident very quickly if you actually have to engage with Japanese society, aka not being simply a tourist.) Another point I will make is that I don't simply know about karoshi, one of my previous responses cited a survey that actually goes against what is commonly believed that word actually means, so I don't really get what you mean.
>>
>>237697418
>>237703653
>>237712685
imagine the cope
>muh anti capitalism muh communism so good
no jews menitoned
>>
>>237724081
What stick do you use to measure Japanese culture to be conservative? Not everything should be viewed by your "western" cultural lens
>>
File: 1621303057694.png (354 KB, 1169x650)
354 KB
354 KB PNG
>>237696346
>>
>>237724337
I'm not viewing it through my "western lens" when I say Japanese society is conservative, because by definition it is, i think that you think i'm implying something political when in truth i'm simply speaking of the societal and cultural aspects of it (which of course are going to influence the political which I'm not really interested in talking about), now, if you are going to sit here and expect me to believe that you truly think that Japanese culture is ANYTHING but conservative (as in wanting to maintain their traditions and aversion to innovation), I simply don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>237724463
>as in wanting to maintain their traditions
I meant most cultures do this, like you might say that the West isn't conservative because they are more "progressive", but that's just another case of maintaining the tradition in the west, as they embodied liberalism and rationalism as foundations to their modern culture
>aversion to innovation
Meiji Revolution is a revolution that can be considered to be as revolutionary as the French's and Russian's. Seeing a feudal backwater country turned into a modern imperialistic state in just under 50 years is definitely unprecedented in the modern era, no "innovative" countries have achieved this before. It's not they are averse to innovation, it's just that their society just need a significant upheaval to be radically transformed.
>>
File: koyomi.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>237696103
Dynazenon has a similar ending for one of the characters and I still cant tell if its meant to be a good thing or not.
>>
>>237696103
pretentious nothingburger: the show.
>>
>>237717654
It's not NTR. People are just neets.
>>
>>237724746
He looks so much better with that haircut
>>
>>237724585

First of all, the Meiji Revolution wasn't something that the Japanese initially wanted, they were forced to innovate or share the same faith as their other Asian neighbors who where plundered and their riches shared amongst the European great powers, you can read a book by Augustus H mounsey on the Satsuma Rebellion in which he describes in length the Boshin war and the thoughts of the samurai who rebelled against the shogun (mainly those of satsuma) and their dissapointment with how the imperial government acted in the years after the war (which led to their rebellion), there is nothing liberal nor progressive about that revolution, there is no question of authority (as the shogun was immediately and without question replaced by the emperor something that might even be considered reactionary if we are to go back in history), no true republicanism nor liberation of an oppressed class. In fact many of the most "progressive" men were killed because of their views.
(1/2)
>>
>>237724982
He's a japanman who's angry you said something bad about his country
>>
>>237724585
>>237724982
Your first point I don't really understand, if you can rephrase it it would be nice.

Also talking about the Meiji and Boshin again, if you need to threaten war to a nation so that they catch up to the rest of the world and end their 300 years of isolation, that is not called as you say "not being averse to innovation" that is called being "averse to innovation (almost to death)".
The USA didn't just gave them a push so that they would catch up, they threatened total subjugation.
>>
>>237725097
>first point
Liberalism and rationalism are two foundations of the west, so it's natural that the acts of them embracing progressive movement in terms of science and society can also be viewed as acts of preserving their cultures as well.
>averse to innovation (almost to death)
I do mention this though
>It's not they are averse to innovation, it's just that their society just need a significant upheaval to be radically transformed.
Even then post-war Japan has been quite innovative, probably the most innovative out of any Asian countries, only to be overtaken by other East Asian countries recently.
>>237724982
>the most proponent of progress are oppressed
Aren't these true for many of progressive countries as well?
Like for examples:
>Communist movement
>Civil rights movement
>LGBT+ movement
Those movements were oppressed at first when they showed up, so it's not really exclusive to Japan as well.
>>237725007
I do agree that Japanese culture fall into the "conservative" side, but what yardstick can you use to measure it? Like I could say that Japan is more progressive in term of art expressions compared to the majority of the world because depiction of underage cartoons are allowed in the country.
>>
>>237724585
About your first point, I don't really know where you are trying to get with that, the ideas of rationalism and liberalism where not even 110 years old by the time of the Meiji and what's more, western ideas were constantly evolving and being born (much more so in the 19th century in which most of the basis of our modern world in all fields possible were born or revolutionised).
Meanwhile you have the Japanese who since the samurai toppled the courtesans in a fight of who could pull the strings of the emperor almost 1000 years by that time, didn't really change anything, what's more they isolated themselves almost completely just letting the Dutch ocassionaly bring them some of the books about European technology for 300 years.
We have to make a distinction between western conservativism and Japanese conservatism.

(2/2)
>>
File: qKogtJ6 (1).jpg (111 KB, 1280x720)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>237724746
It's just pragmatic. He's 33 already and has no other skills, what else he's gonna do?
On the other hand he tells Chise to not end up like him, and she doesn't even choose to enroll back in school, so it's not like the show is interested in enforcing conformity.
>>
>>237725305
I'm more confused now, are you saying that by us embracing progressive ideals and acting upon them, that that is a way of conservatism? What?
Also you know that Post war Japan was occupied and purposefully forced to take western ideas so that no jingoists or fascist would appear again right? So it's not like the Japanese wilfully innovated this time either.
>>
File: EV000190.jpg (1.97 MB, 6152x4383)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
>>237725441
> us embracing progressive ideals and acting upon them, that that is a way of conservatism?
No, it's not conservatism, as it doesn't reflect the traditional religious values of the west, but it does preserve the secular values of the west.
>wilfully innovated
Most innovations do not develop naturally,though. Competition, coercion, conflicts, etc, are necessary evils to breed innovations
>picrel
This is what I meant about a yardstick to measure how conservative. As you can see, Japanese culture doesn't really fall into the more conservative side compared to other cultures in the world, it's just that our own culture skewed with how we perceive other cultures as more conservative/progressive
>>
File: sonny boy.png (3.67 MB, 1876x1440)
3.67 MB
3.67 MB PNG
>"In this world where we can't really die"
>"Oh yeah that girl? Oh yeah she died."
What the fuck ???
>>
The girl that you love would rather be with a rude and violent Chad than you, and the girl you were the best friends with, and escaped the "magic world" would rather pretend she never met you in her life, in real life.

That's the real message in this anime. If you average, you nobody.
>>
>>237725621
I think that we are really confusing our terms here, also the scale doesn't really show me anything really, in this scale the "Traditional" is described as "emphasize the importance of religion, parent-child ties, deference to authority, absolute standards and traditional family values(...)"
First of all, Japan fits this category perfectly asides from religion (which the Japanese were never really religious to begin with since shintoism is not really a religion but an amalgamation of customs).
It later goes on to say "Societies that embrace these values have high levels of national pride and a nationalistic outlook"
Since the concept of nation Is deeply tied to the emperor (an authoritative figure) I don't really know how well it applies to the Japanese.
Putting Japanese society in the label which is described as "Secular-rational values have the opposite preferences to the traditional values. Societies that embrace these values place less emphasis on religion, traditional family values and authority." It's just extremely weird to me, especially when Japanese society is so influenced by confusianism which promotes: traditional family values and deference to authority. It's just so weird to me. Maybe Asian societies are there because of how unreligious they are and how they emphasise more on moral systems and philosophies? Anyways I'll say it again I think we are misunderstanding one another when we talk about "traditional" and the such
>>
>>237726001
Another thing, I think that the scale's outlook on traditional as secular is too western, as we already know family values, authority and customs can still be upheld even if there is no religious belief (such as in China and Japan). What's more another version of this graph puts all of these cultures under the term "Confucianism" a belief which openly supports almost all of the qualities that would make a culture "traditional" on the scale
>>
>>237696346
He just gave up and accepted this shitty life.
>>
ITT: NEET tears
>>
>>237725680
How the fuck did you miss the entire reason Nozomi was on that world. It was to kill the guy who's preventing the kids from dying. She died right after that was accomplished
>>
>>237724746
>>237725380
Bratty child needs work ethic correction
>>
>>237704118
absolutely. the process of getting something is more important than the actual end. Specially when it comes to bonding with people. A clearer example would be having a degree without actually studying and working for it.
>>
>>237725305
>I do agree that Japanese culture fall into the "conservative" side, but what yardstick can you use to measure it? Like I could say that Japan is more progressive in term of art expressions compared to the majority of the world because depiction of underage cartoons are allowed in the country
wat
Where the fuck did that come from? What does my post have to do with that?
And this was only about 14 work day.
>>
wagecucks COPE.
>>
>>237696103
Truly a treatise on the Japanese condition
>>
>>237725305
Kind of silly to bring up porn when Nips still censor naughty bits. The underage notion is also a bit of a weird thing considering the "protection" of children is the progressive stance rather than the traditional one.

>>237725441
Fun facts about the occupation and Japanese media: The US forcibly liberalized news and entertainment media, but maintained a censorship office which prevented negative depictions of the occupation generally (and MacArthur specifically) and positive depictions of fascistic or imperialist notions. The US censorship took up no stance in regards to pornography except that checking over that material was apparently a popular post at the office, but Japanese anti-porn laws were still on the books and could be enforced by Japanese authorities. However, the ragged state of the nation led to difficulties in enforcing those laws amidst a surge in pulp printing of cheap lewd literature which itself became a sort of time and place specific genre.
>>
File: 16295894520392.png (188 KB, 316x583)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
It's hard to stomach ONE's writing sometimes. He's so hopelessly japanese, so intrinsically bootlicker. Society is absolute and unquestionable, and everyone who might have some grievances with it is at best a petulant manchild in need of some humbling (ALWAYS by wageslaving) and at worst a monster that needs to be eradicated. Every kind of rebellion against the rules, any kind of change is frowned upon. Even exceptional individuals who would have the power to truly change the world should just keep their head down, and do nothing meaningful with their abilities. The best they can hope for is living a mediocre life at their own pace , all while abiding by every petty rule, which is only slightly above being merely an irrelevant cog in the machine. Slave mentality to the core.
>>
>>237724912
He looks like an adult but goddamn there's no personality in it now
>>
>>237731670
this but unironically
>>
>>237704118
No, that is a very foolish understanding. It's letting go of a mirage so that you can have hope achieve the real thing.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.