[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/a/ - Anime & Manga

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1533268124190.jpg (2.05 MB, 2000x2000)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
why do you fags care about story so much? why can't you appreciate a series for other things like characters or soundtrack or visuals?
>>
franxx being in there is like pissing in what could've been a drinkable jug of water
>>
>>214520677
Flip flop is fucking garbage
>>
Some troll took the time to make that chart with almost nothing but well-known and beloved works, so obviously some people do like this kind of stuff.
>>
>>214520677
https://desuarchive.org/a/search/image/vSXkpuE9sU7GQd3pOTXctg/
You are mentally ill.
>>
>>214520677
I literally do not care about story. The only anime I've watched where I'm actively interested in the plot is probably Made in Abyss until they dropped that shitty ass third movie
>>
>>214520677
I know this is supposed to be a bait image but it's true, there are several shows that people who care too much about story will never appreciate
For example, 90s sailor moon. Every episode follows the same formula, with the same stock footage attacks and transformations, and it takes like 20 episodes for the little plot there is to actually progress. But it's still an amazing show because of the fun characters, god tier soundtrack, fun enemies, and nice visual style and animation. The average plotfag could never understand that and would drop sailor moon early into season 1
>>
>>214520831
It's a Franxxtard trying to convince people that it's an acceptable turd to consume.
>>
>>214520677
The characters and visuals are the story in my view.
>>
>>214520839
Ultimate plotfag filters
>literally any comedy series
>sailor moon
>monogatari
>darling in the franxx
>fairy tail
>>
>>214520839
Well that has nothing to do with plot vs anything not related to plot. You're just tolerating the same formulaic shit being recycled. Which is fine if you're a kid and you catch an episode here and there on tv but would probably feel like a monumental waste of time if marathoned.
>>
>>214520745
>>214520873
This
>>
>>214520833
>every arc is shallow suffer bait
>>
>>214520677
Taking the bait.
Imo good stories are crafted around interesting dynamic characters and the plot arises from decisions they take.
That being said I don't get how some of those shows are "anti-plot" if that's even the stance it's trying to take.

>3.0
was a bit jarring, but the movie still makes sense and it's very arguable it disorients viewers intentionally.
>FLCL
also had a plot, it's very simple but it's there. the main draw to FLCL is the characters, visuals, and sounds anyways.
>Tsuki Ga Kirei
also had a plot, it just wasn't filled with excessive drama like most romances.
>DITF
Easily the worst anime on that list. It had mediocre MCs with a handful of interesting side characters, and the story fell apart after a point.

>>214520839
>>214520920
Agreed. Like I mention above dynamic characters will bring out an interesting story. However I'm not sure how that applies to Sailor Moon's case since I haven't seen it.
I feel like that kind of episodic show often leads to characters becoming static versions of themselves over long periods of time in order to keep a status quo.
I think that kinda storytelling works in comedies or low stakes SoL, but it's an issue I see in a lot of anime writing. shounen in particular.
That being said I think there's also merit in looking at other parts of a story like worldbuilding/lore, but I also think there's been a huge issue with people arguing that those elements should take precedent.
>>
>>214521143
maybe, but the world is more interesting than most anime so I cared about the story
>>
>>214520833
MiA was always a shounen plot hidden behind the author's fetishes.
Always.
>>
>>214521153
>Imo good stories are crafted around interesting dynamic characters and the plot arises from decisions they take
This. There's merit in a good plot but what gets you to stay with a story are the characters.
>>
>>214520677
could have been perfect...could have been.
>>
>>214520932
Honestly Fairy Tail might genuinely be the greatest plotfag filter
The amount of shit that series gets for not making plot the priority is unreal
>>
>>214521518
I don't know if I'd use Fairy Tail for the best example of that.
Chainsaw Man and fire punch encapsulate this to a T though.
CSM was really interesting to watch unfold because it isn't written like the average shounen manga at all, and the Mangaka's previous work would've informed anyone who read it that he's not a shounen mangaka at all.
He adapts some shounen frameworks like the idea of a world where everyone has powers and some lore behind it, but he doesn't focus on developing any of that past the premise, and rather has a very heavy focus on characterization.
It was like an outsider to shounen snuck their way into shounen jump.

In CSM threads you could tell who was a shounen reader and who wasn't based on what they expected from the series.
A lot of the shounen fans were theorizing about the lore behind the demons, the rankings of their powers, exactly how their powers worked, etc. Basically paying closer attention to everything but the characterization of Denji.
The truth is I don't really think the mangaka cares too much about that, he just likes to use the premises he comes up with as an excuse to draw cool shit, but his writing is always about really deep introspection for the MC.
>>
The ultimate plotfag filter is Macross 7
>>
>>214521405
yeah some of the scenes were questionable to say the least
>>
>why do you care so much about story in a storytelling medium
>>
>>214521908
>treating plot and story and synonyms
i really hoep you don't do this
>>
>>214521890
M7 has a plot though, they just stretch it out over 20+ episodes of episodic material.
And it doesn't help that Basara's a static character, but at least the supporting cast was good.

>>214521908
storytelling is not the same as the story/plot.
Storytelling is how those ideas are conveyed and encompasses every element. The visuals, sounds, and writing are all ways the story is told.
The plot is just the what, the sequence of events in the story.
>>
>>214520677
>SEL
>plotless
anon...
>>
>>214520745
same with eva
>>
File: ep 13.jpg (245 KB, 1920x1080)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>214520873
>Letting the shitty rushed aliens ending put you off some fantastic episodes
yep, classic plotfag opinion right there.
>>
>>214521771
Faggy analysis but I agree with every word you wrote so I guess I'm faggy too.
>>
Personally I just concentrate on the strengths of any given manga
>>214521771
agreed
>>
File: 1587803832202.gif (408 KB, 480x270)
408 KB
408 KB GIF
>But it's just a completely generic shounen plot that's been rehashed hundreds of times!
>>
>>214520932
Add HxH
>>
>>214520677
Putting FLCL and Dead Leaves in one list with Franx should be a punishable offense.
>>
what's his endgame?
>>
>>214520677
is there an actual dragon dentist anime. I thought that was just a nip animator expo short

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.