[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 79 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1652786052394.png (955 KB, 753x707)
955 KB
955 KB PNG
"You mfs are too stupid to recognize bump limited thread" edition

Previous thread: >>915587
>>
File: extendexample.jpg (114 KB, 1078x596)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
I'll start, is there any Marvelous Designer fag around here?
Is it easy to make a garment fit character of different sizes? And when I say different size, I mean different proportions of arm/legs/torso/whatever.

I have these stylized characters that I have sketched and sometimes I get really bored of working with Zbrush and want to switch to MD for a "break" of sculpting. But I never do it because I feel that in the end, I'll have to redo them to fit the proportion of this or that character.

So is it easy to make a ton of clothes in one size, then resize each of them for a specific character they were created for?
>>
>>924308
Yes.

Watch tuts by Daniel.
>>
>>924331
Apparently he nuked most of his content but the goat Michael Pavlovich was just live and adressed this exact question
>>
>>924335
why did he do it?
>>
is it legal to recreate a paid model? i think i need to start using a basemesh instead of going from a sphere every single time so i looked up a good basemesh and recreated it in zbrush with pictures of it on planes as reference. i won't sell the basemesh itself anywhere, just use it as a beginning for my characters for a personal game project i will sell someday, can i get in trouble for that?
>>
>>924351
I think he joined a studo (probably Disney) that made him do it. That's what an anon told a while ago
>>
>>924358
What a fucking pussy. Deleting content that teaches millions just to get a meager paycheque? What an asshat! Something always seemed off about him, too
>>
>>924357
Where do you think the artist for that base mesh got the idea? Or do you think he sculpted and modeled from memory
>>
How do i approach making such lattice-like model? Box it out and boolean? Start with a plane and autistically move vertices around, adding more detail? Or maybe curves, extrude them and merge somehow?
>>
>>924392
solidworks
>>
Are AMD gpu's really that bad for 3D stuff?
>>
>>924408
Nah, they're fine.
>>
>>924408
they are that bad. No CUDA = no good stuff
>>
>>924410
So no hope really for the future? Cursory googling shows HIP is an equivalent to CUDA?
>>
Guys can I use a normal map to remove detail instead of adding? For example, suppose that I have an icosahedron and a sphere with millions of faces, then I bake the normals of the sphere over the ico. Is this fundamentally wrong?
>>
>>924410
also, no RTX
>>
>>924373
Yeah the worse is I never got to see what this guy had in his Youtube channel, I just had the exact same convo with an anon that linked his channel a while ago and he realised that everything was gone.
What content did he have? Do you think it's still somewhere?
>>
File: dgdfgdgd.jpg (981 KB, 4096x2440)
981 KB
981 KB JPG
Zbrush fags, how can I go from hair number 1 to hair number 2 ? Especially cutting the hair into separate parts.
>>
>>924433
It looks like a custom insert brush. They dyanmeshed at the end to make it one piece.
>>
>>924414
Yes, google smoothing groups + your softwere.
>>
File: 64857759.jpg (2.37 MB, 4500x2531)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
Is there a program that can auto generate a normal map based on the visual appearance of the diffuse texture for a model?
>>
>>924835
Crazybump, bitmap2material, nvidia normal map photoshop plugin.
>>
File: alignement.png (32 KB, 463x330)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
WHY WONT THESE TWO FUCKING PARTS MEET PERFECTLY
>split part into two
>fill the hollow edge on one part
>copy the surface chain and connect the second part to the same exact vertices
>everywhere else its perfect
>this spot it fucks me
normals are done properly, flipped to face outside on both parts
>>
File: 1545441037747.jpg (765 KB, 2500x1712)
765 KB
765 KB JPG
What do you guys recommend for parametric modeling and design? Mostly for architecture purposes (so from furniture and wall mounts to buildings)
>>
>>925322
Rhino.
>>
File: 1662195305497.jpg (39 KB, 374x347)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
is python programming in blender similar to node editing?
like does it have all the features of geometry/shader nodes??
usually in other software the nodes are built ontop of the programming language so that code illiterates can do stuff
i was just wondering because i wanna get into it but i dont wanna miss out on all the features...
>>
>>924307
so I'm looking at getting a galaxy s7+ tablet for different reasons but figured I may as well look into it for art, Im wondering if anyone knows if the cheapest version of it feel ram limited in things like nomad sculpt, or if you know it for any drawing programs, I know it wont be ideal/perfect for art, but its more of a 'can also do without shitting the bed' kind of bonus.
>>
File: Screenshot (611).jpg (820 KB, 3440x1440)
820 KB
820 KB JPG
How do I erase some spots on the face
I have the dirt layer selected but the eraser doesn't do anything
I believe I've added the dirt from smart mask
>>
>>925433
create a folder
drag the material with the mask to said folder
right click the folder and add a white mask
erase the unwanted parts with the white mask selected
>>
File: Dream_TradingCard(6).jpg (397 KB, 1080x1920)
397 KB
397 KB JPG
>>924307
How do I get animators to work with me on a project? I tried finding people through Discord, but everyone I got could barely speak English and their work all looked like it was complete shit - corporate infotainment animation bullshit. My technical abilities are limited and I do not want to spend years of autistic fury working alone on a project. I want to tell a story about pirates, attack ships burning off the shoulder of Orion, C-beams glittering by the Tannhauser Gate. What would /3/ want to see in a project's writing to get involved?
>>
>>925433
You have the mask for the dirt selected, the eraser is pointless here. Since it's a black mask with fill layers, you better add a paint layer to the mask, and paint in black to mask what you want hidden.
>>
>>925450
I added the paint layer, I think
But what now?
>>925439
Create folder? In the program?
>>
File: Screenshot (613).png (2.92 MB, 3440x1440)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB PNG
>>925474
>>
>>925474
In the brush panel pull the slider to the left and paint the mask.

To be quite frank I think it's best if you watch some tutorials as they can things explain better than me.
>>
>>925481
They don't get into such specifics
>>
>>925481
What brush panel are you talking about?
>>
>>925508
bump
>>
are amd gpus bad for 3d?
what do i lose by not picking nvidia?
>>
>>924307
Anons im working on my donut and at times my CPU will hit the ceiling, is it because i have cycles left on instead of eevee? Should i leave eevee on while working in render mode and only go to cycles when im looking at what a "complete" product might look like? I have it set so it uses my GPU (3070) and i know my cpu is i need of an upgrade soon (i7)
>>
>>925776
Just don't work with the live render.
>>
can someone tell if an obj was made from cracked software?
>>
>>925810
Of course. Even more if it's some Autodesk thing; they have a bunch of ways to mark pirated stuff. I worked at a place where all our software was pirated and the company owners were pretty worried that customers would find out.
>>
>>925811
how can you hide it for an obj from maya?
>>
How do I duplicate an object so that the duplication will have different nodes
I did shift+D then ctrl alt S but if I change the nodes of the duplication the original object gets modified too. How stop that?
>>
>>925813
I'm no expert but I have dealed with obj parsing for many web related proyects. Obj is a very simple file type, you can read it on a notepad and see all its visible contents in plain text. Just copy that plain text into a new text editor and save it as .obj. the new file will have all the geometry data and none of the hidden meta data. Same applies to .mat.
>>
I'm posing and animating some rigged models but I'm having a little trouble visualizing how much a joint or muscle can move/bend/rotate before being wrong, mostly because my knowledge of anatomy is really basic.
Having reference is of course really helpful, but when I try doing something on my own everything starts falling apart. Are there any resources that could help me with that?
I don't know if going balls deep into anatomy will help in my case but please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>>925776
Also make sure you're actually using the GPU, you need to both check it in settings and on the properties tab.
>>
File: 1666998940728665.jpg (50 KB, 720x717)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Im done with the first half of my donut tutorial, im not very dedicated but im proud ive made it this far. Ive followed people involved for 3D art for quite awhile and always see people talking about how learning nodes is like a major improvement for a lot of them. I recently did the shading part of my donut to add bumps and I fucking hate how it looks, is this just a nodes thing? Im going to ignore it and push through for now but is this why people struggle with nodes and say its important to learn?
>>
what is that website that gives out "free" models, and it has an image version where you can get models at different angles?
>>
File: bland-shapes-issue.jpg (203 KB, 1599x827)
203 KB
203 KB JPG
How do you trigger BlendShapes in Unity from a script? When I try it the action is triggered in the 'animation controller' but the object doesn't animate. When I link the action with an arrow it plays but not when triggered programmatically. I know Blender very well, it's not the FBX file.
>>
File: blender-shapekeys.jpg (233 KB, 1598x829)
233 KB
233 KB JPG
>>926181
I'm trying to make a game in which you chip away at a rock to make a 3D object. The 'sculpting' action is achieved by triggering different shape keys (mesh deformations) backwards from the original shape.
>>
>>926181
Isn't that code wrong? Are you supposed to start playing the animation every single frame? Feels wrong.
>>
Can anyone tell me is saving and reusing skin weight/paint/whatever your favourite software is calling it, really time saving ?

Let's say I have an automatic rigging tool in preparation for regular human bodies (two arms, two legs, etc). Will I save a tremendous amount of time just reusing the same skin weight accross all my characters and just tweaking details for each of them? Because it don't seem that this part is really time consuming. The details are but the general work doesn't seem to be a hassle. Sorry for the bad english.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (74 KB, 882x862)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>926181
This guy (>>926195) is right.
Also you don't need to use animations and shit - you can just directly manipulate the blend shapes.
See code attached.
Activates blend shapes with R and F and turns off the blendshapes with T and G respectively.
>>
>>926251
That code was in a script attached the the cube in picrel. You can see the blend shape values on the right changing as I press corresponding keys.
Quality is shit because I am lazy. Hope it's readable.
>>
>>926251
Also, goes without saying that this can be optimized further - using get component multiple times is redundant - could just store it in a variable on awake or whatever and just access that variable.
Hope your game works out.
>>
>>926252
Also damn, VP9 is too stronk.
>>
File: 1667912484537920.jpg (53 KB, 960x921)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
pose model in complex position
find out nails are missing
append the nails from original model but they're not attached to the fingers

guessing parenting them to the finger bones won't help

wat do???
>>
>>926325
parent them to the finger bones, but don't forget to weight paint them too.
>>
>>924307
how do i make the fur
>>
File: 1654877324128.jpg (119 KB, 320x315)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
What's the best auto rigging tool for Maya? Fuck the Quick Rig built-in option they have, it sucks balls.
>>
File: 20221119014601_1.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080)
324 KB
324 KB JPG
how would I go about creating a fur texture like this? It's really nice.
>>
>>926441
If you are going for stylized there are some good zbrushes for fur patterns, if you are going for more realistic, Nanomesh/fibermesh or some hair grooming tool like Xgen or hair cards are probably the better way.
>>
Is there a good IMM brush for branches / trees? I've played with curve brushes, IMMs, tried making my own but all of it looks like crap. And I can't find anything on the internet either. Is the technology really not there yet so that you can just draw some curves and get a detailed generic branch from it? I see people still use zspheres or snakehooks and sculpting from scratch manually.
>>
>just learned about IK
>go to add IK to an old model I rigged
>everything's all fucked up because of bad topology
fucking shoot me
>>
>>926493
mgear
>>
>>926252
Your demo is blowing my mind. As I understand it, I can:
>make a model in Blender
>make some shape keys for it
>export as fbx
>trigger the shape changes with little effort from Unity
Is it really that magical? This stuff seems pretty useful but I never knew it existed.
>>
File: 1660491268302571.png (1.52 MB, 1024x1024)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
Do I actually need to make sure the entire model is stitched together or is it okay to have disconnected pieces as long as you cant see the back faces?

For some reason for the longest time I thought the entire model needed to be in one piece.
>>
>>926579
>mgear
Would you say its a good one for gamedev, I'm primarly interested in that? I heard a lot about Advanced Skeleton too
>>
File: 1657754318662.gif (475 KB, 320x240)
475 KB
475 KB GIF
What do you do when you come home real late from work and have to go back the next day and after you eat your meal and run a shower its even later, giving you next to no time to do any 3d because by the time you start working its just going to be too goddamn late? I get discouraged.

I do make progress on my off days, but i dont have a lot of off days. Like, I feel like my work could skyrocket in quality if I was allowed to do it every day, but really, i can only do it at most 3 days a week becauss i have to many god damn things i have to do
>>
>>926681
write your own rigging tools. Forget about mgear, - its a mess - and advanced skeleton is terribly written. Just write your own modular auto rigger with fk ik switch, a handful of set driven keys, and a gui picker and facial gui
>>
>>926595
Yeah, that's the basics of it. Your understanding is correct.
>>
Is there any generally accepted rules for using 5 edged poles in regards to animation? Like "only use them where deformation is/isn't likely to happen" etc.?
>>
>>926723
I was bro. But then I got frustrated by the amount of hard coding that making an auto rigger requires ngl. I was also not used to Python and I just that the logic you want to implement sometimes relies on string management (splitting, concaneting, searching, etc.)
I'll eventually get back to it but I just need some basic bidep rigs for the moment. And they all seem to the job very well despite what you're telling me.
>>
>>926729
>I just that the logic you want to implement sometimes relies on string management (splitting, concaneting, searching, etc.)

But anon, string management in python is ez.

are you using pymel message attributes?
>>
File: uhhh.png (929 KB, 859x682)
929 KB
929 KB PNG
So, following a blender tutorial on adding fuzz to a fabric. However at no point in the tutorial did the hair particles look like these big sharp bits, and at no point could I get my bits into hairs.
I've no idea what's going on here, how do I fix?
>>
>>926768
>>926768
> are you using pymel message attributes?
No. I'm quite a beginner in Python. Didn't even follow a tutorial, just learned on the spot while trying this.
What is that? Do you mean creating an attribute (addAttr)à for an object or something else? Even if you mean that I never used it lol.
I'll admit that I need to get used to the Maya Python library
>>
>>926771
http://www.chrisevans3d.com/pub_blog/mighty-message-attribute/
>>
File: Screenshot (626).png (3.15 MB, 2165x1326)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB PNG
Why's my render result like this?
I have black spots...
>>
>>926794
Go see a doctor.
>>
File: shading.jpg (26 KB, 556x556)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
How would you place seams and sharp edges on a bevel geo like this so that shading doesn't have gradients?
>>
>>926769
Nevermind, I had a fucked up displacement going on simultaneously that I had failed to check on before.
>>
>>926721
Been stuck on one project for a year because of work. It sucks alright.
>>
>>926721
Scared this will happen to me. I'm getting back to webdev after a 4 year break just doing my things (one of them being 3D and gamedev) and I don't know if I'll keep making progress when someone hires me. Wich isn't any time soon for a profile like mine but still.
>>
>>926872
What's your high poly like? That should bake fine, what normally blows up is trying to bake a rounded high poly bevel onto a low poly with 90 degree edges. Otherwise, rule of thumb is all hard edges should be UV seams, but not all UV seams need to be hard edged
>>
>>926894
HP has clean shading, I'm just never sure about these gradients because I heard gradients in normal maps are not ideal. They can be fine, but may cause weird visual issues when textures start mipping or something like that.

If LP was a 90 degree cube, I would have no problems, that should still bake fine. If it had some supporting loops (korean bevels lol) that should also work well because it will fix shading gradients. But the cost would be extra geo. So this combination of a single bevel which I can't really make so it has clean flat shading is what I don't know how to deal with.

Weighted normals apparently won't work with baking, right? I assume baked normals from HP and FWN on LP would clash.
>>
File: rüssel.png (471 KB, 1194x776)
471 KB
471 KB PNG
Somewhat new to blender, I want to do image related.

How should I do these boils?

Sculpting requires a high vertex count right? Not that it really matters.
Any modifier or something that can do it automatically?
>>
>>926923
place icospheres manually then use remesh operator
>>
>>927009
Thank you.
>>
Surely there is a better way to generate an anime style face than this, right?
>>
>>927268
Just look up timelapse videos on youtube.
There are a bunch of methods to do this, so find one that looks right to you and use that.
>>
>>927268
This isn't a bad way to do it honestly. You'll get a more visually appealing face this way.
>>
Is there a way to automatically fix my fucked up meshes in Blender?
I have a few tris and ngons somewhere in my mesh, but I can't find them anymore.

Thought it wasn't a big problem but it's pissing me off now.
A way to mark them so I can fix them by hand would also help.

(bloody beginner just saying)
>>
How easy is it to edit someone else's STL file?

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various/gardenia

I finally got a 3d printer on black friday and want to print my waifu, but I want to add a belly button to her model.
>>
Is it truly necessary to retopo if I am going to use my assets on UE5?
>>
>>927350
You can go in edit mode, deselect all and then in the top menu do select - select all by trait - faces by sides, then choose your filter in the menu that will pop up.
>>
Any reccs for laptop mostly gamedev in UE4 and some light work in 3D. Budget would be 1500 euros
>>
does cgpeers have a superior selection of high quality 3d printable models compared to other sites?
is it worth buying an invite to?
>>
>>927358
Thank you
>>
>>927437
np
>>
File: blender_N9Vyb22kSx.png (312 KB, 1087x476)
312 KB
312 KB PNG
Why can't I weight paint on top of this irregular flat cylinder? It only wants to paint on the edges.
>>
File: blender_EgUaE98Xqd.png (363 KB, 1158x562)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
>>927482
example
>>
>>927482
>>927484

Not a blender user but normally weight painting is a value applied to vertices in geometry. Your top surface is a huge ngon so in order to apply weight you should subdivide it.
>>
Is it normal that Cycles rendering takes like 2-3 min per frame using a GTX 1080?

I wanted to do an animation but it took 2h+ for 2 seconds yesterday lol.
All I have was a pumpkin with 1000 vertices and 2 light sources.
>>
>>927524
Probably it is, but you can always tweak render settings. You can speed it up at a cost of lower quality and vice versa.
>>
3D newfag here, I torrented many softwares and I wanted to know if Marmoset was useful to learn if I already have Substance Painter/Designer and Marmoset? Do both of them can work together or it's one or the other?
>>
What is the recommended way to model shoulder/armpits? Every time I try it looks terrible. Does anyone have a retard proof tutorial on how to accomplish this?
>>
>>927585
Marmoset is usually used just for quick render showcases and HP to LP bakes, but you can do the latter in Substance as well.
>>
>>927585
I use it to preview complete characters. Hair, clothes, skin etc. You will probably be only working on single pieces in Substance.
>>
>>927601
>>927603
hmm okay, so it doesn't seem that useful then. thanks
>>
using a random value node in geometry nodes to affect the scale of things scattered across a surface. How would I go about adjusting the frequency of the min-max values of the random value node? For example, I want the scale to be random, but I'd like to have about 70% of all instances to be closer to the min value and 30% closer to the max.
>>
File: Fg41_hcaAAUnj6s.jfif.jpg (232 KB, 1536x2304)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
Is there a free download for Goo Blender anywhere?
It's this custom Blender version made for 2D animations see the video below.
Apparently its open source but you need to compile it yourself or pay on patreon for the precompiled version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zto6lTAJo0

Yes it's just 5 bucks but I'm poor as fuck and almost starving as is.
>>
>>927524
>>927541
Okay it was the subsurface scattering.
With none it's 1sec render time with a high value its 3min.

Havent found a setting that does okayish SSS without taking 1-2min yet.
>>
File: grease.jpg (411 KB, 1920x1080)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
Anyone familiar with Grease Pencil in Blender? Got questions:

- How to I get rid from that behaviour that progressively draws the previous frame drawings to the current one?
- How can I change all the strokes colors at once?
>>
>>927666
the progressive frame thing should be the snowflake icon to the right of the mode dropdown
change the color by changing the material in the properties editor
>>
File: Thomas_Robert_Malthus.jpg (240 KB, 541x687)
240 KB
240 KB JPG
>>927657
>I'm poor as fuck and almost starving as is
>8 billion and counting
not my problem
>>
Humblebundle has a beginners course for blender from GameDev.tv. Anyone have experience with it? Is it worth it?
>>
File: descarga.jpg (102 KB, 1170x827)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>927795
It's very, very amateur hour. Only for absolute beginners that know nothing, in which case it will be useful.

Otherwise, you will benefit more from 3rd world guys who can barely speak english on youtube.
>>
>>927807
The most I’ve done is a donut, so it’s sounds right for me. Thanks anon
>>
How long should it take to get an AutoCAD cert? I took a class on it years ago in community college and wanted to try teaching myself to get the certificate so I can get a wfh gig.
>>
Can someone PLEASE tell me where I can find a HDRI with a Night sky? like just a night sky?

All I can find is HDRIs at night in a city.
>>
File: doorunderside.png (125 KB, 1193x722)
125 KB
125 KB PNG
So I decided to make a door. I started with a plane, extruded the details beveled them, then copied the plane, flipped it around and ended up with this. I know that nobody will ever see the lower side of the door, but how would one cleanly unite the faces? Was my approach wrong?
>>
>>927865
>copied the plane, flipped it around
Can't you just mirror it anon?
>>
>>927872
I could have, but I wanted to place myself under a situation where mirror was not an option.
>>
>>927926
Well, seems like now you're in the situation where you need to make additional fixes on topology
>>
>>927657
Build it yourself
https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender
>>
File: tupperware.png (194 KB, 936x707)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
This is a Tupperware (lid not included). I was thinking about all those triangles I ended up with. What's the right topology for something like this?
>>
I would like to design old school miniatures. Is Blender a good tool for that, it should I just do it by hand with green stuff? 28-32mm scale.
>>
>>928062
You can merge all those vertices along the horizontal edge into a single vert in the middle. If the geo doesn't contribute to the shape in any way, simplify it.
>>
>>928084
Isn't there any worth in keeping the anomaly boxed inside the other face, given that that face is part of the natural flow of the shape without the anomaly? It felt cleaner to me this way. Should I stop thinking like this? I just assumed modelling was like coding.
>>
are animationmentor or cgspectrum good courses for learning maya zbrush and substance painter? im being offered as a preemptive Christmas present to take a 6 week course in any of them and some deadlines to sign up are on the 2nd of december, even as a gift the prices ive seen look really steep to me so im unsure if i should go ahead with any of them especially if it doesnt end up teaching me much or rather something i could just be working on if i got the software and looked up tutorials thats not $699 per term, ive made some basic models and textures in blender and photoshop and some stiff animation in source filmmaker although whether im modeling or animating something always seems to trip me up and I cant articulate what the problems are and how they came to be and whether or not certain things arent looking as they should, but i only try stuff maybe once or twice a year to roll the dice on if i get any of my steam workshop submissions accepted
>>
File: 1231515.png (305 KB, 1280x600)
305 KB
305 KB PNG
>>928062
I assume by looking at that topology, you're not going to use subd workflow. So why does it matter if that face has tris in it if the shading looks fine? I'm beginner myself currently learning subd modeling and proper topology so take that as you wish.
>>
>>928104
Not sure I get what you mean, by if you say that topology is adding a bit of imperfection to the surface - I get that, and it can be a good thing, but in this case I think it's not worth it, and you would usually optimize the geo so it has less tris. You can add that kind of flat imperfections directly in the texture. If it's affecting the silhouette in some way, that's another thing and you can add more geo for it in that case.
>>
>>928134
If it's not a subd model, topology like that is perfectly fine. It's just better to still optimize it where possible and ideally avoid long thin triangles because of quad overdraw
>>
>>927864
polyhaven has some night hdris. Look for natural light. Some of them are amped up in brightness but you should be able to tone it down.

>>928131
You can find competent courses for a fraction (less than 10% of that price) that tell you all you need to know regarding anything. $700 is a ripoff unless it's literally live in-person teaching for several hours and a professional back massage on top. And even then not worth it imo.
>>
>>928202
what website would these cheaper courses be on and do they also come with maya/zbrush/substance painter or licenses so I could go "hey i found this cheaper course it would be much better for me than the expensive one ect."
>>
I'm pretty new to blender and modeling in general, but I was wondering how to work on a separate section of a model independently of another section.
for example, I have a torso with a mirror modifier on it, but I want to now work on some shoulder turrets, but its being affected by the modifier I have on the torso.
Is there anyway to have separate modifiers for each part I want to work on? Do I have to finish one part, and apply the modifiers before I start on the next part?
>>
>>928220
some modifiers have a vertex group filter, but it sounds like you should just make each part a separate object
>>
>>928235
ah yea thats it, had to add it in object mode.
thanks
>>
File: 1641274952490.png (1.35 MB, 1576x777)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB PNG
>>924307
never modelled a motorcycle before, how should I dissect the parts?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>928260
since the nigger jannies won't let me make my own thread:
So, is it true that you can just distribute blender addons for free and it's totally legal/legit because of GPL or is this just reddit cope? I want to grab hard-ops but I don't want to have to download spyware from some sandniggers google drive to get it. if it's free to redistribute, why isn't it hosted anywhere that doesn't looks sus as fuck? should I just wait to buy it? I don't have $40 now but I want to do some hard-surface stuff. Is there any hard-ops/ boxcutter alternative??
>>
>>928271
Yes, it's legal. Blendermarket is just a tip jar.
>>
>>928271
hard ops isnt the "answer". Good modelling the arrimus3d way is. Do not waste your time with hops, its dogshit.
>>
>>928274
cool, I'll keep looking for a legit looking download link but if it's all shit like google drive I'll just wait and buy it.

>>928275
wow, I will go check out arrimus videos I guess

wait... n-no... it can't be...
>>
unironically how do I know what I want to make? I have the skills required to actually create things somewhat competently now after 2 and 1/2 years of grinding but I don't want to just follow other people's concept art like a monkey. I am talking about creating simply for the fun of it, but when I try I can't think of what I want to do, or what I try is too cringe and stupid
>>
>>928320
try taking part in a challenge where everyone has the same prompt.
>>
>>928320
make your own concept art
>>
>>925867
Learning anatomy helps a ton, but always use reference.Even is you just record yourself on a phone mimicking the motions you want, anything helps.
>>
>>928320
Let ideas come to you. Be patient and sit somewhere calm and quiet and let yourself wander. If you fall in love with an idea, write it down, and work on it over and over until you are happy with it. It's a skill you can develop like any other. Also go out and see and do new things.
>>
How can I bend a 2D mesh into a 3D mesh without distorting it in blender? I want to use some papercraft patterns for making a basemesh of a complex object, but I can't find a good way to get the cut shapes into position.
>>
>>928320
This is definitely a skill for itself you can get better at. I respect not wanting to recreate existing concept arts, I'm the same. Creativity can be hard but it becomes easier the more you use it. Expose yourself to different things, don't stick to usual media you consume, explore new things.
>>
File: pinching-cylinder.jpg (597 KB, 1920x1080)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
How can I avoid "pinching" at the sharpened corners of a cylindrical object with subd?
>>
>>928412
With loads of geometry.
>>
>>928412
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lv5P1T4VI4
>>
>>928448
Thanks, I'm actually using Elementza's course to learn hard surface modeling. So appearantly you just need a cylinder with more subdivisions and as even of a topology as possible to minimize pinching. Someone in the comments mentioned that you also could just use a simple plane and do the detailing on that and then bend it to turn it in to cylinder.
>>
File: fuckedupmouth.png (783 KB, 2029x1157)
783 KB
783 KB PNG
Any help on how to fix the mouth?
>>
File: 1665582934752.png (853 KB, 2029x1157)
853 KB
853 KB PNG
>>928554
This should be straight. Post the side view, it'll be easier for me to draw.
>>
>>925821
Nodes as in material?
You need to duplicate/copy the material to create "Material.001".
Duplicating objects don't duplicate materials.
>>
I'm importing DAZ characters into blender. I'm trying to work with the MHX rig but the damned bvh retargetter add-on just crashes blender and Rokoko just retargets it all wrong/wonky despite me T-posing both figures prior to retargetting. How should I approach this to troubleshoot this mess?

Also, I was wondering trying out ARP instead, since it appears to be the more commonly used rig. Is anyone familiar with just adapting a DAZ rig/MHX/Rigify rig to ARP?
>>
I just tried to put together a scene to render with all the objects I made the past few days but it just fucking crashed with no error nothing.
I did however seem to max out my VRAM and RAM.

So one mistake I made was copy pasting the trees I made instead of linking okay I see, but even after linking the VRAM usage is rather high.

My question is, is using all of my VRAM bad? as in does it cuz problems or can it just cache some shit in the RAM?
Are there any settings to prevent sudden crashes like that?
Lost everything I made in the scene and wasn't even able to recover it.
>>
File: side view.png (413 KB, 1337x1110)
413 KB
413 KB PNG
>>928572

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.