[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 898.jpg (366 KB, 2048x910)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
You experts and professionals in the field, how many polys does this beauty have?
>>
At least 10
>>
Do you really expect me, in a Saturday afternoon that I'm passing drinking good whiskey, in probably another continent from you, to count the polygons of your fucking jpeg picture? Why? What, exactly, is the purpose behind that question?

No. Wait. I do not care. I absolutely give zero fucks.
>>
>>897139
between 40k - 60k
>>
>>897139
Middle is the most attractive.
>>
>>897153
>drinking good whiskey
Bullshit. I bet you drink some supermarket swill.
>>
File: fuck you.jpg (559 KB, 1200x800)
559 KB
559 KB JPG
>>897169
It IS good whiskey. Go fuck yourself. If you want to give me some better whiskey, please tell me about it. Then I will not call you a fucking tranny faggot, in general.
>>
>>897174
>malt whiskey

My god, I can smell the poor taste across the ocean.
>>
File: 569.png (558 KB, 1142x367)
558 KB
558 KB PNG
>>897153
Yes, i will explain.
When this movie came out it was practically the most absurd 3D at that time, it would be interesting to find out if the current games come close to that amount of triangles... but good drinking anyway.
>>897155
Seems like a believable amount according to this wireframe.
>>
Anon do you understand the concept of subdivision
>>
I like big butts and I cannot lie. No literally I cannot.
>>
File: ss (317).jpg (185 KB, 1714x1119)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>897155
>>897139
It's comparable to modern day game models. 20k-30k
>>
>>897174
>malt
Nig
>>
>>897227
Yea looks close to the base Genesis 2 low res 16k poly.
>>
>>897227
no
the base body is close but look at ops pic, hands and face have a higher density.
the head is obviously one level higher subdiv.
>>
File: TSWDemoCompare.jpg (18 KB, 340x409)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>Every one of her 60,000 hairs was separately animated and rendered, at a render farm consisting of 960 Pentium III-933MHz workstations that took 1.5 hours to render every frame. Her model is estimated to be made up of around 400,000 polygons, as are the other main characters of the movie
>>
>>897139
As you can see the Aki model isn't that heavy and in the sub 100K range like most modern game characters. But it's built with subdivision in mind so when you see it on screen it is the number of polys in the basemodel squared to the subdivision level. Whatever is needed for her curvature to look perfectly smooth at the distance from camera so prob between 2-4 subdivisions depending on the shot.

So Aki is maybe 40-90K polygons that is actually hand edited by the artist, and a couple of hundred thousand to low millions is what you're looking at on the subdivided surface in the rendered frames of the released film.
>>
>>897369
This is bullshit there already was hair sim back then
>>
>>897367
you over estimate the polycount.
~25k polys is accurate, definitely under 30k
The comparison model is under 20k polys.

OPs model shows more polys in the neck and hands and probably the feet, but not in the face. The face only looks more dense because the the hair from the back of the head showing through the front of the head.

add ~1000 polys each to the neck, each hand and feet on the comparison model and you have a very similar density distribution.
>>
>>897381
they literally chose to do this anon
>>
>>897227
>>897367
>body is close
Look at OP boobs - round to pixel precision.
Look at yours - like 8 sides.
I'm not even /3/ but are you guys retarded?
Didn't those old programs use nurbs so there are no polys until surfaces are divided up to render one tri per pixel or whatever?
>>
>>897448
Sub-D and NURMS had displaced NURBS quite some time before The Spirits Within.
NURBS was pretty archaic and something few where dabbling in by the turn of the Millennium.
CV-surfaces are very hard to work with compared sub-d and something few people was dabbling in past the early-mid 90's.
>>
File: NURMsubD.jpg (686 KB, 1746x860)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
>>897436
20K sound plausible, my fem-model looks like it has a very similar poly density and it's about 20K.

It's a game model not meant for sub-d but it can be used to demo what sub-D is all about for people ITT that perhaps are new to all this.
>>
>>897153
No one knows or cares who you are, faggot
>dood drink lmao
Shut up
>>
>>897227
How did you get quad version of game models?
>>
>>897501
He didn't see that thigh? how all the wrong triangles are iso-lined?
Anon prob ran some 're-quadify' function on it or did a very sloppy cleanup manually.
>>
>>897663

>>897501
this is right. I just ran the quadrangulate operation in maya for the sake of getting a more comparable model.
>>
File: 1638778507000.jpg (33 KB, 540x720)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>897448
>I'm not even /3/
you should stop there and asks questions next time instead of calling others retards. it really just makes you sound like one.

OPs image is a poly model with NURBS hair; Built in 2000, so likely in Power Animator, and that approach would be the norm at the time. I started 3d in 1998, so I know quite well how it worked back then. There were not a lot of options.

The underside of the breasts are rounder in OPs image because of subdivisions in the bikini top and perhaps subdivisions in the rendered models. Otherwise, you can visually count the number of polygons that make up the breast area and in entire model for that matter, to see that they're very similar.

Also note, that the comparison mesh has denser hair including the bun, and bows and lace in the top of her outfit that account for additional polygons if you want to consider the differences. All that in a model under 20k polys. Adding an extra 5k on top of that is generous.
>>
>>897369
>>897381
>>897441

>Every one of her 60,000 hairs was separately animated and rendered
>Her model is estimated to be made up of around 400,000 polygons
these points and numbers are marketing nonsense given to impress the audience.

you can see the wireframe in OPs pic. there's no need to imagine what it looks likes to understand what is a realistic poly count is, or how the hair was made.

the hairs,or eye lashes, brows, possibly the clothing were nurbs based surfaces, so of course they cant give a polycount on the mdels, so they give some made up *estimate* of 400k polygons to make it sound impressive.

being partially made of nurbs means that the tesselation and polycount varies depending on the rendering resolution and distance from camera any character is at any time.
>>
>>897675
>>897663
>>897501
Worth noting some games, especially older ones, do sometime encode quads in the model file and split them at load time.
>>
>>897139
250 thousand polys. Half in the face and hands, the other half in the hair and the whole body.
>>
>>897794
Spoopy
>>
>>897679
>you should stop there
And yet I was clearly right that there are more polygons used in the shaded images in OP than in the 'mesh', (look at the shoulder of the arm on our left - hard corners - shaded, no corners) whereas you are left embarrassing yourself talking about visually counting the polygons in the mesh
>>
>>897917
>I was clearly right
no, the only smooth thing here is your brain. this is a discussion talking about estimated polygon count in the model, not how you focus on breasts.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.