[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Happy 18th Birthday, 4chan!

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Houdini3D_icon.png (20 KB, 520x520)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
Is Houdini really THAT hard to understand?
I've been avoiding this bitch for a very long time.
I remember watching tuts when I was like 13-14? and said fuck it, and became a cinema4d fag. The rewatched tuts at 20-23,and still didn't pick uptmavh
>>
>>847214
Idk, it seems to be endless and I don't have a clear understanding of what is possible with it and what to even use it for. I guess you can do pretty much anything, but good luck with tutorials. The ones I followed though were pretty easy to understand, I guess I could get familiar with it at least in a particular niche relatively easily, especially since I have a background in coding, but I just don't know what to use it for. Since I'm focused on environments there could surely be some useful tools, but nothing that I really need. There aren't many times I had a thought like "man I wish I could automate this thing somehow". I even prefer doing a lot of stuff by hand.
>>
>Is Houdini really THAT hard to understand?
no, but also maybe and definitely yes.
if you do decide to try it, you need to commit to it for at least a year.
there will come a day when you'll need to define a transform matrix manually and you'll want to kill yourself, but it's not that hard and you'll get through it.
>>
File: Blade-Runner-168.jpg (191 KB, 1918x794)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
>>847214
>Is Houdini really THAT hard to understand?
No, and I don't know why people think it is.

On the surface, Houdini might be daunting, just like any industry DCC tool it's not going to easy to master, but it should be easy to learn.
Seriously, go watch a easy tutorial and you'll start to understand that it's not hard to learn at all. There's some aspects of Houdini that might be a bit complex or overly daunting, but all this stuff takes time to learn.

You wont become a Houdini master overnight, but if you spend a good year learning it, then you'll become proficient.
>>
>>847214
It's only multivariable calculus and linear algebra.
>>
>>847273
>>847270
thx
>>
Don't bother with it if you're a simple asset monkey.
>>
1 week in blender and you feel like you know what you're doing

1 week in Houdini and you still don't know what 70% of the tools do
>>
>>847214
If you have to ask here you are NGMI with Houdini anyway.
>>
>>847374
>70%
lol
>>
File: 80s Sigourney is so fetch.jpg (551 KB, 2684x4096)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
>>847214
>>847226
>>847270
>>847273
>>847315

Who's the Pavlovich of Houdini?
>>
>>847214
tried out Houdini once at work, it seemed easier to learn than the retarded Blender UI
>>
>>847793
doesn't work that way with houdini unfortunately. it's just too big and too much to cover. good news is there are a lot of pavlovich-tier instructors doing houdini stuff at all levels.

>rohan dalvi - official intro to houdini (intro)
>tim van helsdingen - howdini (intro)
>steve knipping - applied houdini series (dynamics)
>matt estella - thecgwiki (essential)

maybe just start with those and see how you fare.
>>
>>847827
unfortunately Sidefx is totally incompetent with their own masterclasses on youtube / vimeo, not releasing project files
>>
>>847977
not really an issue for me.
if i can't recreate a houdini set up from memory, i probably didn't understand it.
>>
>>847977
I am starting to feel like SideFX is botching this deliberately. While they do put some efforts in to make Houdini more approachable, they still keep it at a level where the person must show self-initiative and effort to become part of the club.
Undesirables are getting weeded out. You must show to be worthy by overcoming the hardship of the learning curve yourself or with a proper teacher. It cleanses the user base of mediocrity.
I can understand it, quality over quantity is a good approach to keep their reputation at a high level and the customers of H-artists satisfied.
>>
>>847986
Not putting up your files is bush league
>>
>>847214
Better question is what Houdini is FOR (besides muh VFX/procedural). So far to me it looked like a collections of systems working together (nodes), but besides aforementioned I’ve seen it used for procedural modelling and that’s about it (there are not as many generalised videos on it as on Blender and even Maya). There is also a kineFX but looks like it’s mostly used for retargeting atm.
>>
>>847990
it's nice that you added muh in front of VFX, otherwise i would have thought you were a moron
>>
>>847827
Is it worth it for a casual dude to try to learn? Don't have much time between uni, family and work and a basic understanding of 3DS Max. Have a small handful of hours a week to practice/learn
>>
>>848112
>Is it worth it for a casual dude to try to learn?
probably only if you really enjoy it and don't have a really hard time with it. as with most things, only way to know that is to try it out. if you find it very difficult and stressful, spend your time elsewhere.
>>
What's the correct way to polymodel in this thing? SOP or OBJ level with shelf tools? Polydraw? Every update adds a few neat modeling tools but the overall workflow is a mystery to me.
>>
>>848169
i barely do it, but all the nodes get dropped into sops, so if you need the controls they're over there.

you probably want to create nodes by tabbing in the 3d view itself. e.g. you don't get the edge loop option anywhere else (because it's just a macro for polysplit set to edgeloop). setting up some decent shortcuts would probably help, a lot.
>>
>>848182
I find the basic operations like edge loop, weld and extrude work well but other essential tools like extract and combine are just broken. Extract just duplicates and doesn't actually delete the geometry from the original object, with any kind of transform anywhere combine will just fuck up the resulting object. And of course the "delete history" option is hidden form the right click menu when you need it, and when you find it and use it on the wrong object it fucks up all the downstream objects dependent on it.

This is my experience working at the OBJ level so I wonder if inside SOPs is actually the way to go.
>>
>>848212
unfortunately i don't think going into SOPs is going to help too much. you'll be able to see exactly why it's doing the weird stuff it is doing, but it's going to keep making those dumb choices. you can script your own shelf tools if you're so inclined to try and make it less insane.

you can check out modeller if you really need to keep polymodelling in houdini:
https://alexeyvanzhula.gumroad.com/
>>
>try houdini apprentice and its only available renderer, mantra
>create a scene with a single object with a principled shader and textures from substance
>render a 12 frame animation at a low resolution
>over 3 minutes to render and flickers like mad
>setup the same exact scene in blender cycles CPU and render in less than a minute and the frames dont flicker
>try various mantra pixel sampling quality settings but even extremely low quality scenes take multiple minutes.

Even 240x125 resolution at 2x2 or 1x1 sampling takes an eternity compared to blender (cpu). What have i done wrong? People say that mantra is powerful but just slow - am i experiencing it? How can it possibly be this slow at low res?
>>
File: 806792744589.png (573 KB, 1282x721)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
>>848223
unless you need to learn mantra for some reason, just pirate fx and save yourself some pain
>>
>>848224
I only have 3.5gb of vram making my gpu useless and crash all the time. My gpu is too old for arnold gpu. I need a cpu renderer but the problem with mantra is that it looks worse in terms of flickering and instability while also taking a lot longer
>>
>>848226
arnold and vray cpu are still better options than mantra.
plus with fx you can export alembics to send over to blender.
>>
>>848233
Before taking the steps into external renderers I tried Karma. I already found multiple bugs. The IPR just wont refresh after you've set a key on a param, go to another frame and then set another key. I'm interested in Solaris because they say its the present and future. How is renderman?
>>
>>848244
Karma is beta.

Redshift has decent Solaris support. Renderman, I haven't tried, but should be the gold example. You can also have a look into AMD ProRender, and 3delight.
>>
>>848212
Often times people have a certain way of working in one application, and when they try to translate that workflow into another application it just ends in misery.
I'm having a hard time imagining what you're working on or how you're going about it, maybe you can give a little more info? Do you have a bunch of Objects at the /obj level and are you trying to concurrently do modeling work on them? If so I would not recommend that.

I would work in one SOP network where it's much easier to relate different parts of a larger model to one another, and then break things out into different objects via Object Merges or caching to disk. Again I'm not sure what the use case is but you can accomplish an "extract" by using the Split SOP or the Blast SOP set to Delete Non-Selected.
What do you mean by "delete history"? Instead cache files to disk and read them back in at key points in a modeling network if you don't want to wait for things to cook.
>>848223
Like anon said just pirate it or go Indie, so you can have access to more modern renderers. Mantra is very capable, but you won't get far with it unless you have a renderfarm at your disposal.
>>848244
Karma could be a nice option a little further down the road. The problem with Karma and Solaris is that USD is still very much a moving target. While the scene composition stuff has been stable for a while, Pixar is still making major architecture changes to things like Hydra, lights, materials and things related final rendering. Kind of hard to build something solid on top of that, which I feel explains *some* of the jank in Solaris.
>>
File: hdelhistory.jpg (103 KB, 651x786)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>848267
I'm not having problems with any specific project, they were just general observations about modeling in Houdini. For modeling tasks I still fall back to Maya and import to Houdini as .fbx but ideally I'd like to ditch other DCCs completely.

>Do you have a bunch of Objects at the /obj level and are you trying to concurrently do modeling work on them?

Yes, this is the standard approach in Maya and hopefully in the future Houdini too. Working inside the SOP context doesn't seem ideal, after a few minutes of intense modeling it's very tedious to zoom in and sift through 100 edits and polysplits to find some critical node like some sub-object's pivot. Doing housekeeping by putting dirty edits in subnets etc. is pointless busywork when in the end you'll lock the model's last node and delete everything upstream, you get clean organization for free in other 3d applications by working in the object context and continuously deleting history.

>>848222
Thanks for the suggestion, but I wouldn't learn to model with a plugin made by one guy who might just drop support on a whim or charges you over and over again just to keep the plugin functional in future versions of Houdini.
>>
>>848276
Fair enough, I think it's a difference in viewpoints since I'm so used to working in Houdini. Personally I have never had things that would be considered separate objects and needed/wanted to do modeling work on them together, but I know Maya and Softimage artists have inquired about that on the forums.

I do a little bit of modeling in Maya (when it's more convenient to just stay in Maya) but I have no desire to port workflows from there to Houdini. I *like* having a long-ass history of nodes, because I use it and pull stuff from the upstream network often. If I'm trying to organize things I stick them into network boxes (I don't like diving in and out of subnets).
>>
File: stressed-rubs-eyes.gif (1.08 MB, 216x174)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB GIF
>tab indents lines
>backspace removes one space, not the whole indent
please fix. it's painful every time.
>>
>>848390
if you're at the beginning of a line, Shift+Tab removes indentation
>>
>>847214

I'd certainly recommend it for anyone that has come up against the maya API when they wanted to script something a bit more complex.
doing complex shit is easy in Houdini.
doing run of the mill stuff is harder than it should be.

I'd love for them to get their rigging and animation tools up to the state of maya then I could use it for the majority of my work and not need to shunt alembics around all day.
Even then I'd always go back to maya or blender if I needed to do simple polymodeling things.
>>
>>848445
>doing complex shit is easy in Houdini.
>doing run of the mill stuff is harder than it should be.

This is where USD comes in. Set it up once and create variations.
>>
File: 1615749357393.jpg (64 KB, 630x399)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>848445
>get their rigging and animation tools up
>>
File: h19.jpg (20 KB, 888x83)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
bros..
>>
>>848839
no sneak peek yet, though
>>
it seems that Labs Substance Archive is getting deprecated. I wonder if they'll introduce something better for Substance files, or just drop it
>>
>>849674
Either the Labs guys are releasing the fully live link between Houdini and Substance they teased a while back OR they're shifting the burden of development on Adobe since providing bridges seems to be their new thing (Substance >< Blender).
>>
File: 210846577185.png (18 KB, 501x334)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>849674
>>849695
lads, i'm rewiring the existing substance material node to work with arnold and v-ray. i've got both working, but i'm running into one last issue:

i want viewport previews and so i need to keep the existing principled shader wired in.

unfortunately, i can't figure out a way to get display / render flags to work here.
pic-related shows shader in viewport, but does not render it.

if i have display flag on the principled shader, but an output node wired into arnold, it'll render correctly, but break viewport shading.

is there any way to make this work without having to have a toggle-switch?
>>
File: rg.jpg (45 KB, 1164x363)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>849761
I would submit a bug report. Tested with 2 constant materials and your setup works.
>>
>>849764
t b h i'm not sure it is a bug.

more likely i'm doing something wrong / specific to the substance hda / intended behaviour inside hdas(?)

also i'm a pirate so i don't make bug reports
>>
>>849765
>what is houdini apprentice?
>>
>>849770
>what is me being a lazy cunt
>>
>>849770
houdini apprentice is useless because it doesnt let you use 3rd party renderer
>>
>>849772
>useless
i'm the pirate and even i think that's a bit harsh, m8
>>
>>849770
does that let you make houdini for unreal shit
>>
>>849790
https://www.sidefx.com/products/compare/
>>
>>847793
no such thing I'm afraid but Entagma will get you there
>>
Do nodes have a performance cost like in substance designer? doesn't seem like you can model complex stuff without having a mile long list of nodes, wondering if it has big effect on performance.
>>
>>849891
You can't do anything without nodes. Nodes are the point of Houdini.
Houdini went though some extensive optimization in that regard but at some point, with a large and complex node network, it will inevitably get slower.
>>
File: test_mantra.jpg (163 KB, 1280x720)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>849896

Sorry I was thinking more like for example, lets say I had box and added a polysplit node then set the number of loops to 10 then I have 2 nodes in the network but I could also have a box and 10 edit nodes each adding a loop cut now I have 11 nodes in the network, it's obviously better to use the more efficient network but is there a performance hit when in the end you end up with the same result and is it even worth taking into account.
>>
>>849897
Different guy here. Houdini is pretty efficient when it comes to dealing with large quantities of nodes, but yes, in the end it does have a performance impact in the sense that you are dealing with larger .hip file sizes, longer load and save times, and potentially cooking through longer chains of SOP nodes (if you are not making use of File Cache nodes to cache along the way). Your example was good, and it would be more efficient to do it in one node as opposed to ten if you can achieve the same result.
Generally speaking you would keep your modeling hip file separate, save the result to disk and then load from disk in your layout/animation scene.
>>
>>847991
So what is it for then?
>>
>>850655
making people with big brains feel like they're better than everyone else
>>
File: 1629157164646.jpg (263 KB, 764x551)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
>>847214
The thing about Houdini is that it's wide as an ocean, deep as an ocean. People seem to think they need to master all of it like they would with Maya or ZBrush, but nobody does this it's just too much for a single person.

Also, to really master it you need to have both artistic and mathematical/engineering skills, needless to say the people who have both of those are very very rare, which is why people keep claiming you need 500IQ for Houdini (which isn't true as mentioned in the paragraph above, unless you want to excel at it, in which case it probably is).
>>
What are the go to flip sim tutorials/courses?
I'm mostly interested in small scale advertising things vs gushing rivers / big ocean tanks.

I've already checked out applied houdini liquids 1 and the few entagma ones they have on flips.
>>
>>849891
Yes, there is a perfomance cost, however Houdini's nodes are very light and you have more control over how they evaluate. Substance is an absolute dog compared to Houdini.
>>
>>851394
For small scale stuff look for tuts that explicitly mention "surface tension", IIRC it's a fairly recent addition to Houdini's FLIP solver and older stuff will not cover it.
>>
>>851394
Houdini small scale FLIP sims suck fucking ass. I work fulltime as FX artist at MPC.
You have to do shitton of RnD with every fucking parameter, you won't learn shit from tutorials.
Create or find a hip file with wedging and auto flipbook setup. Do lot of wedges with every parameter to your heart's content. And you'll start to understand every small single parameter drastically a simulation.
>>
>>851564
Ah fug, parameter tuning my least favourite thing.

>>851426
Thanks mang.
>>
>>851564
what's wedging?
>>
>>851674
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/tops/wedge.html
>>
>>851564
We found out 20+ years ago that going bigger scale in sims negates 90% of the problems.
>>
Will learning basic python help me with Houdini.
>>
What was in the leaked H19 e-mail? Any juicy deets?
>>
>>852518
nothing specific, just very vague news that they're improving almost everything
>>
File: 19.jpg (245 KB, 1080x1248)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>852518
>Today's beta email was erroneously sent to all Houdini customers. It was meant to be an early access letter for Annual Upgrade Customers who will be getting a chance to work with Houdini 19 before it goes Gold.
>For Indie, Education and non-AUP customers there will be a longer wait as we put the finishing touches on this exciting release. There will be a presentation to introduce you to all of the new features and then you will receive your new licenses once the product is released in late October.
>We apologize for the accidental email. At least you now have some idea of what is coming in the new release and we look forward to getting it into your hands.
Sincerely,
Your SideFX Houdini Team
From reddit but people on other forums got this mail as well it seems.
>>
>>852563
I love goemetry
>>
>>852511
??? someone plz
>>
>>852563
>improvements to modeling and gömetry
I hope it's actual usability improvements and not just a couple of new niche nodes (chain sop lol).
>>
>>849891
It has an effect on scene file size (relatively minor) and on scene load and save times. If you take a complex model from start to finish you will end up with a ton of nodes, and cooking that network from start to finish ona fresh scene load would potentially take time.

>>852676
From a recent job posting we know they are wanting to rewrite the viewport in Vulkan. Hopefully that gets rid of some of the buggy viewport behaviors and occasional funkyess with selection highlighting and tool initialization.
>>
put axiom in dops you coward
>>
>>852681
>From a recent job posting
Not for H19, that's for sure.
>>
File: fuckblender.jpg (77 KB, 1207x920)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
I made a donut in houdini.
>>
bag of new tutorials to keep u boys fed:

HelloLuxx: Houdini In Bloom
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1dh411W72

CGMA: Procedural Modelling For Production In Houdini
pt1: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1h44y1479H
pt2: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1NR4y1p7Za
pt3: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1yb4y1y7UZ
pt4: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1bh411n7K2
pt5: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1A64y187fQ
pt6: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1bh411n77F
>>
>>852790
oh snap

bloom is not even on cgpeers
thanks houdianon
>>
>>852812
it just popped up as a recommendation. nice surprise.
can't find it on the website that's in the watermarks. guessing it's probably in a wechat group or something like that?
make me curious about what else is hidden in the chinesenet
>>
>>852790
noice, thanks
>>
I'm so sad for you Houdini bros. So much time invested in learning that convoluted byzantine mess, and know Blender introduces geometry mixed and BTFOs poor Houdini. My condolences, bros.
(totally not bait)
>>
Rebelway: Math For FX Artists
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1tL411s7pd
>>
>>853036
learn you VEX boyo, it's good for you.
>>853621
chinese are quick, thanks anon
>>
>>853036
>I'm so sad for you Houdini bros.
I'm so sad for you delusional Blendlets.
>So much time invested in learning that convoluted byzantine mess, and know Blender introduces geometry mixed and BTFOs poor Houdini.
implying it does BTFO Houdini is the manifestation of your delusion.
>(totally not bait)
it totally is great bait, it made me laugh out loud and I answered
10/10
On a serious note though: Learning and comprehending Geometry nodes made me also understand some concepts in Houdini I avoided in the past. Learning procedural nodes in Houdini or Blender will train your brain either way, so no matter what you use, you benefit from it.
The first program I learned that used nodes was Substance Designer, after doing so Nuke and every other program that used Nodes appeared easier, it made me loose my fear of nodes and my Brain upgraded.
>>
>adam swaab
why do i instantly feel sleepy
>>
>mfw you can start event based timers in solver sops
>>
Heres the thing about Houdini that you people don't want to realize : it's good at proceduralism, not simulations. ALL the sims look the same and you can tell rigt away that they're fake.
>>
>>854127
Thanks for letting us know, king
>>
>>854127
>ALL the sims look the same and you can tell rigt away that they're fake.
What do you mean
>>
this thread will stay alive till h19 is out
>>
File: 1610227837109.gif (335 KB, 250x250)
335 KB
335 KB GIF
H19 reveal - 18th 18:00 CET

https://www.viewconference.it/article/565/houdini-hive

Karma XPU - 19th 09:00 CET

https://www.viewconference.it/article/660/karma-xpu-materialx-and-vellum-grains-in-houdini-19

Vellum Fluids - 19th 10:15 CET

https://www.viewconference.it/article/661/using-vellum-fluids-and-crowd-updates-in-houdini-19
>>
>>856360
>karma
sucks that my subscription money is being wasted on this
>>
>>856363
eh, if it gets usable enough, it might mean one less subscription (Redshift) from me
>>
>>856360
>Vellum fluids
Are they just going to jam every single solver ever published into Houdini? I appreciate the variety but now we have:
-POP fluids
-FLIP fluids
-Vellum fluids
-Pyro (technically a fluid solver)

I hope at some point SideFX looks into consolidating solvers, either via robust inter-solver communication nodes (for instance the multisolver fails with RBD + Vellum) or just doing everything in Vellum since XPBD tech is pretty versatile.
>>
>>856360
these sound cool too:

Shockwaves Tool & Fire Tornado in Houdini 19
https://www.viewconference.it/article/663/shockwaves-tool-and-fire-tornado-in-houdini-19
"This talk will highlight the process for the Fire Tornado seen in the Sneak Peek, which makes heavy use of the new Volume Deform workflow"

PolySlice Tool + Asset Workflow and File Caching
https://www.viewconference.it/article/665/polyslice-tool-asset-workflow-and-file-caching
"new digital asset creation workflow to help technical artist with they asset management"
>>
Just upload the teaser, leafs
>>
>>856368
I don't think its reasonable to expect a infantile toy renderer like Karma to compete with established renderers like redshift.
>>
They completely dropped unity development and the unreal integration looks like shit
>>
My fellow Houdini giganiggachads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRpkUZmR6ro
>>
File: 1608129400569.png (634 KB, 650x779)
634 KB
634 KB PNG
>>856524
YES

4HGNN
>>
>>856524
So modeling still sucks, too bad.
>>
File: ryan-gosling-clapping.gif (843 KB, 498x498)
843 KB
843 KB GIF
>>856524
>Those vellum updates
>>
>>856524
I'm excited
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 121x121)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>856524
Using Houdini since release 9, can't get exited for anything anymore.
>>
>>856588
What path should I follow to master this software? I got into it cause of procedural assets creation for games but the more I use it the more I fucking love it and want to make it my main 3D tool.
>>
>>856591
>master houdini
become a technical director (TD)
granted that you are proficient in coding and a bit autistic
>>
So happy I started to learn this beast
It's painful but I'm going to make it, you too anons, you too.
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (21 KB, 393x360)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>856592
That doesn't tell me what learning path I should follow
>>
>>856622
applied houdini
>>
>motion graphic-y karma render
>1m30s/frame @ 1080p
>no hardware specified
why. they tell you what they used in the render straight after.

and that vellum fluids tim van helsdingen render also looks really fuzzy and i can't tell if it's rendered at 720p or if it's just timmy being shit at render and comp

>vellum
>native support for xpdb rigid bodies and plasticity
barely mentioned in the teaser so curious to see how robust this is going to be

>improved vex wrangling ux
yes, good
>>
File: 3dapu.jpg (22 KB, 525x455)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
New enthusiast fag here. Should I bother with the learning curve with Houdini or should I take easier route with Blender?
>>
>>856884
Good luck finding work as a blender artist
>>
>>856884
houdini is not great if you're new to /3/
start somewhere else and come back in 8-12 months
>>
>>856884
If you’re patient yes. I did it and it made other software really easy to get into afterwards. But patience is the key, I’m not a pro with it but if follow some high quality tutorials, you’ll be able to make some cool stuff once you start to learn its node system. But don’t expect to be proficient for a long time
>>
>>856912
post specs of your rig
>>
>>856884
in either one you need to learn the basics first, normals, UV, edge flow, local and global positions, subdivision modelling etc.

that would be much easier in a traditional poly modeler imo
>>
>>856524
I just need PRMan to give an update to support H19 day 1 but I know it wont happen
>>
I wish i were smart enough for Houdini

It seems comfy as long as you know how to code and do other difficult stuff
>>
>>856933
You don't need a war machine to start getting into Houdini but it's true that once you'll ger further than the basic stuff, your computer will start to scream
>>
>>856977

>It seems comfy as long as you know how to code

This is greatly exaggerated I think. There is simple code but you can do a lot of it you don't need to code for simple tasks. Take your time to learn the basics and then the simple code will follow.

But I just started Houdini a week ago and it isn't that bad but I'm coming from a background of Cinema 4D. I just want to use Houdini to do some sims. I understand what people meant by "it will just click" because if you have any experience with After Effects or any other program you will know how it feels to instinctively do simple tasks. Just keep using it when you have the time until the magic moment because it WILL happen.

Also, always start with the basics. Never ever skip to fun-looking tutorials. Wasted too much of my life skipping in Cinema 4D.
>>
why is everyone jumping into Houdini now?
especially motion designers

did I waste my time learning c4d?
>>
File: 1634097347155.jpg (110 KB, 894x1200)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>856997
>why is everyone jumping into Houdini now?
/stage/ is OP now
>>
>>856997
Probably got tired of needing a plugin to do everything in c4d.
>>
rigids III 2.0
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Yb4y1h7oX
>>
>>857133
>https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Yb4y1h7oX
thanks anon, china numba wan
>>
>>856986
What tutorials/etc would you recommend to start with?
>>
>>857150
try the cgforge and applied houdini ones
>>
/3/ is seething that LOPS is first lmao
>>
it's up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfmtiz9qSI
>>
>>857164
I WILL NEVER LEARN /STAGE/
YOU CAN'T MAKE ME
>>
>>857166
>using /obj/ for overall scene management
dont do this
>>
bro i just want to make some fire, smoke etc for my unreal engine game
don't care about your karma
>>
>>857168
I HAVE THREE ELEMENTS IN MY SCENE, BRAD. I DON'T NEED A WHOLE NEW CONTEXT TO MANAGE IT.
>>
>>857170
you have to deal with various iterations so you should switch as well as /obj/ being unsuitable for multiple people working on the same scene
>>
>>857166
YOU WILL USE USD
AND YOU'LL BE HAPPY
>>
why do we still have to wait 9 days
fuck
>>
You can't just blueball me by teasing a best-in-class quad remesher. Fingers crossed H19.5 is finally *the* modeling update.
>>
>>847214
I started out with 0 knowledge and being a shelf tool fag and within 2 years of self study and using it at previous work managed to land a job using houdini. So it's definitely possible with some determination and the right study materials.
>>
>>857187
1-2 days more for a crack to appear
>>857241
are you making 6 figures?
>>
>>857218
>*the* modeling update
neverever
>>
chinaman too powerful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVnrrsUWvkw
>>
Anyone know a top-tier Discord server of Houdini users?
Also, has anyone ever made some documentations on how to build a city procedurally ? I mean, I can make a procedural terrain, houses, buildings and roads but how to glue that all together for a game?
>>
>>858375
think procedural is the big one
>>
Just a friendly reminder: Houdini 19 is out TOMORROW (27th).
sidefx.com/download
>>
>>858429
i'm a little bit annoyed that they haven't uploaded any of the talks from the view conference yet.
>>
>>858440
Yeah, would have been nice material to digest before the launch.
>>
>>858440
>>858442
I assume the VIEW conference imposed an embargo, it doesn't make much sense otherwise
>>
What is the difference between the Karma MaterialX as mentioned in the 10/19 reveal and MaterialX Lama in renderman?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.