[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: metaverse.png (108 KB, 1064x912)
108 KB
108 KB PNG
https://www.epicgames.com/site/en-US/news/sketchfab-is-now-part-of-epic-games

Not the acquisition I expected but I guess it won't really affect much.
>>
Lesser store fees, that's good.
>>
>>840325
I unironically wish epic bought allegorithmic substance.
>>
>>840330
Imagine they did that and made it free, or at least cut the price by half. Hnnnnggg...
>>
>>840330
Sketchfab was probably a cheaper buy and the store fees provide a return on investment. But I agree. ArmorPaint received a grant from Epic so maybe they will eventually buy the tech and combine it with the Quixel suite.
>>
>>840325
just saw this, whats in it for epic, are they making sketchfab models available on the unreal engine asset store or something?
>>
>>840325
i do not like 'megacorps 'buying up other companies left and right, but i'd rather it be epic than anyone else. they're the least evil in my book
>>
>x has joined the y family

I hate that fucking corporate speech so much.
Can't they come up with some new shit already?
>>
>>840325
Good, Even though I don't support epic at all this will probably be more beneficial than bad.
Store fee was 30% now it's 12%. Still bad but way better than before.
>>
>>840363
what about
>EPIC GAMES NOW DOES THE MOM OF SKETCHFAB
>>
What's the point in owning sketchfab and artstation. pdyv
>>
>>840330
>>840331
But don't they already have Quixel?
>>
>>840376
I've noticed a trend of Epic buying 3D storefronts recently. Artstation sells tutorials/assets, Sketchfab sells models, Quixel sells Megascans.
>>
>>840376
they make unreal engine. it's obvious they're serious about it. now they want to gain control of asset distribution, probably in order to tie it into to the software.
>>
They'll rename it to sketchy fab, since epic is sketchy.
>>
>>840388
https://www.emerson.edu/programs/comedic-arts-bfa
>>
They clearly seek to own every major platform, which is popular among developers. Imagine how easy it will be to deplatform your ass when it's all controlled by one player. And all this done, while screeching about monopoly BAD.
"Epic Games" our greatest ally, fellow developers.
>>
>>840330
They should've also bought Mixamo. Also, pleeeeaaaase buy Marvelous Designer!!
>>
>>840405
Good.
>>
>>840414
Please, login Tim.
>>
File: 1602568286361.jpg (185 KB, 1227x1058)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>840405
>Imagine how easy it will be to deplatform your ass when it's all controlled by one player.
and that one player is anti-democracy chinese government. Just another reason to stick with unity, as much as it is hated here
>>
>>840325
Thanks Tim!
>>
File: you can't do that.png (308 KB, 477x390)
308 KB
308 KB PNG
Unreal viewer?
>>
>>840360
>epic
>least evil
pick one r/3/tard
>>
>>840360
Stop being retarded. Epic are completely anti-consumer, they just larp as being pro-consumer and MONOPOLY BAD so they can establish their own monopoly. It's literally Communism 101.
>>
>>840473
I'm not a consumer, though. I'm a professional. Do you think I play games? You think I give a shit what goes on with the Epic Game Store? Fuck no. I just want to get paid and Epic buying them gives me a bigger slice. I'm not the owner of a billion dollar business and there's no union for this industry. I don't have money/power, I just want to make a decent living and maybe retire before I die.
>>
>>840471

Only fat greasy gamers hate Epic.

Epic is the best thing that ever happened to 3d artists.
>>
File: Assholes.jpg (56 KB, 640x432)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>840473
>epic becoming a monopoly due to unregulated capitalism
>communism 101
Read it out loud before you post next time. You'll be able to hear how dumb you sound.
>>
File: st.png (504 KB, 965x824)
504 KB
504 KB PNG
>>840325
Looks like they're fighting an acquisition war now. Unity just bought SpeedTree, which is actually a much better purchase than Sketchfab.
>>
>>840377
They do, but Mixer is still trash compared to Substance. Doesn't even have a baker and performance is horrible. I do use it for mixing some tileables, but it's a no-no for uniques.
>>
>>840480
I agree. Quixel survives because of their megascans. Their software is years behind Substance.
>>
File: 1602648388456.jpg (96 KB, 745x791)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>840473
>communism is when the big corporation gets bigger
mmh
>>
File: (you).jpg (12 KB, 486x168)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>840473
>>
>>840508
>>840483
>communist subverted and controlled corporation buys up key infrastructure in an industry
gee... why would they do that?
>>
>>840475
There's no union for 3D artists in EU?
>>
>>840511
Who's talking about the EU? The only options in the US are VFX and animation unions.
>>
>>840511
A quick Google search shows no major unions for 3D artists in any country, Europe included. Strange considering how many jobs/industries the term "3D artist" covers. Then you compare it to things like the film industry. Even gaffers have a fucking union.
>>
>>840514
Probably because the 3d industry is very recent and unions are more of a boomer thing.
>>
>>840515
>unions are more of a boomer thing
(((Everything goes according to plan.)))
>>
>>840515
>unions are more of a boomer thing.
I think it depends on the part of the US you're from. Boomers seems to favor them in the north but are vehemently anti-union in the south (unless it involves electricians, railroad workers or the police). I'd have to see data for the west. This industry already has minimal job security. If a 3D union could provide limits to overtime and legal counsel in the event of termination without just cause, I'd join it. As it stands, you either honor your boss' most ridiculous request or you're out the door.
>>
>>840325
Dude, they are going to get fucking sued up the ass for licensing fees and pirated models now that they got that Epic Games money.
>>
>>840514
is there a fluffers union
>>
>>840531
Maybe. I know Turbosquid had that debacle a few years involving automotive companies.

>>840533
Ask your mom.
>>
>>840332
Speculation on my part but I think Epic's strategy (with everything) is to invest all their Fortnite money into *anything* that might get them the next Fortnite before the current Fortnite goes away.
>>
>>840566
I'm not sure how any of these investments can be used in that way, though. They'll make money but it's not like you can tie lootboxes into 3D models. More likely they're just building up an ecosystem of free/cheap services available exclusively to the users of their engine. The amount of time to develop and set up their own competing service isn't viable, so they buy up storefronts and give discounts of those assets to their own users. It's smart from a business standpoint.
>>
>Epic buys Sketchfab
>Unity buys SpeedTree

I wish it was the other way around.
>>
>>840602
It would have also suited Unity's overlap with degenerate furries who also post on Sketchfab.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.