[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 17 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Screenshot_1.png (324 KB, 515x291)
324 KB
324 KB PNG
Anons, I want to start 3d printing. What is the best printer up to 900 USD that is easy to handle (that doesn't require hard work with calibrations and replacement parts)?
>>
>>832030
>aka 'plug and play'
>>
It's all relative.
If you know the basics, there are dozens of "easy" to handle machines on the market.
If you never used one, there's literally none that is easy. There's a fuckton of shit you have to know. Even the filament can fuck shit up if you just let it sit for a month or two (it sucks up ambient moisture and without drying it in an oven you will get fucked up prints).
>>
>>832032
It was what I thought
>>
>>832030
>900 USD
You can buy the Mono X or the Elegoo Saturn (resin > plug and play) + Creality CR-10 V3 (plastic assembly required) with that budget
>>
>>832036
>starting out with a resin printer
RIP Anon
>>
>>832039
This is exactly what I'm afraid of
>>
>>832039
>>832040
if you want precision resin printers are needed, with the new ABS-like they are the best option for small pieces also figurines and shit like that, FDM are fine for larger pieces.
>>
>>832030
>that doesn't require hard work with calibrations and replacement parts

No such thing.

All printers require careful calibration and replacement of parts.
>>
>>832030
If you've got hours to spare and the ability to read, the Prusa Kit has been pretty good. The assembly is involved but the instructions are super thorough. Theyre also good about firmware updates and software updates and their slicer software. As far as calibrating and replacing parts, that's just part of it. It's not that big a deal once you've been through it a few times.

Kit is $749

Honestly, looking back at the size of most of my prints, the prusa mini would be plenty big enough. But it didn't exist when I bought mine.
>>
>>832030
Why did you choose SynDaver? They are a pretty obscure manufacturer.
>>
>>832030
Get an Ender 3 for $200 and see if you like the hobby before you drop almost a grand on a nicer one. I have 2 Ender 3s and they both have been pretty damn good at what they do.
>>
A Prusa MK3 kit is around that price, but I would get something cheaper to start out like an Ender 3 with about 150$. Don’t start with a resin printer though. That shit wack
>>
>>832347
This, alternatively you can also spend a grand on an Ender 3 to upgrade all components to high quality ones.
Printers are as modular as Desktop PCs, never buy one with proprietary components.
>>
If you are just starting then forget the pursia and get a Creality 3D printer. You want a no frills 3D printer then pursia isn't for you.

I made a huge mistake a few years back. I bought a 3D printer called "The Beast" and when I got it unpack I quickly realized I was way over my head since there was at least 2,000 parts to put together. Total waste of money there. Was lucky I was able to unload it to a friend of a friend for about 3/4 of what I paid.

Bought a Creality CR-10S Pro, built an encloser, replaced the hot end with an all metal one, and bought a Wham Bam and never looked back. I probably spent about $650-700 total.
>>
every time i look at 3d printing i bounce off of it for this exact reason. i don't want this stupid machine to be a whole other hobby, any minute i spend tinkering with the fucking thing would be stealing time away from actually sculpting. oh and for the things i'd want to print i would need the fucking nightmare ones where you have to splash around in toxic sludge or something, no fucking way. i guess i'll have to wait another decade for an actual fire-and-forget magic box, or just befriend some weirdo that loves this crap so he can print shit for me and die of kidney failure at 35 from breathing in the poison gas
>>
>>832445
Sounds like what you want is a 3D printing service.
I sometimes order prints from Craftcloud3D or Treatstock, most of the time the prices aren't too ridiculous.
>>
Is resin 3d printing good for making anime wives? If so how would I paint those? Do I treat it like gunpla and just use an airbrush plus some fineliners for details?
>>
>>832445
For now, 3D printing is pretty much it's own hobby at first since you have to get used to how it works, what quirks the machine has and how to calibrate and set it up right. It took me a couple months to figure out how to set the machine up so that I just grab a 3D file on an micro sd card, pop it in the printer, heat the bed and hot end(you can do that remotely if you have octoprint before hand) and off you go.

I do get the occasional failed print but since calibrating the gantry and leveling the bed, it's been way more reliable than when I first got it.

And the only type of printer that can kill you with "toxic sludge" is a resin printer. ABS plastic also releases toxic smoke when you print with it so make sure you print those filaments inside a encloser with an air filter.

I think using a 3D printing service is a better idea if you don't want to put up with the hassle of calibrating a 3D printer once in a while unless you are going to print dragon dildos. LOL!
>>
>>832044
FDM if size is more important than detail. (It's not.)
>>
Glad I saw this thread - also a first time printer, I have a /3/ specific question about this stuff. Does a model need specific techniques to be printable? Do I need to do something special with the topology? Or can I load in any random .OBJ and expect it to work? Also >>832039 I, too, am doing this. I committed myself before realizing what the fuck I was doing. How scared should I be?
>>
>>832914
To clarify, by "something specific" I guess I mean will I fuck myself with overlapping polys and stuff like that? Will I need to do a full retopology on anything to make it printable? I'm kind of expecting I would.
>>
>>832924
The topology doesn't matter what you need is a solid object usually, I usually go with 100-200k faces, you have to avoid holes, floating objects and you have to to play with the thickness if you have to do thin shit
>>
>>832924
ZRemesher is what you need
>>
>>832565
I already use this type of service, but with the amount of items I want to print, I would be able to take the money spent on them and buy a new printer with its resin
>>
I just ordered a ender 3 v2 just to dip my toes into the 3d world. tho after looking at resin printers I know that mini figures would be great but at the cost of resign and smell.
>>
>>832961
What are you trying to achieve? Do you need 200 different models printed or do you need the same model printed 200 times? If the latter is the case you could just order one copy, make a silicone mould and use resin to cast 200 copies.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.