[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 21 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: placeholder_social.png (734 KB, 1080x608)
734 KB
734 KB PNG
Previous thread: >>828561

Opening a new one, just so we have at least one potentially decent thread along with WIP on this board atm.

Btw, I heard Epic is working on some scripting language alternative to C++ and BPs, called "Unreal Verse". Could be nice, but if I could choose, I'd just want a C#, so it is even easier to switch from Unity and you don't need to learn another meme language that isn't used anywhere outside of a particular software. My colleagues in Uni learnt C# through Unity and all of them ended up easily switching to .NET. Ofc, learning good coding practices is more valuable than syntax, but still.

Anyway, we're on /3/ after all, so we can just talk about Lumen instead.
>>
>>831948
>yeah bro just drop in some basic scan assets and drop a "dynamic" lighting framework on it that is so slow at adapting to an actually dynamic scene it's debatable whether or not it should even be called "dynamic"
>>
>>831961
You can increase the update speed via console command.
>>
>>831948
Learning a new scripting language is piss easy once you know one with the same paradigm. If you already know the engine, that shouldn't take more than a few hours to learn 95% of the language, and few days to learn the few kinks that you will probably never encounter in real life. People that complains endlessly about that shit are people that don't know how to code in the first place, and get around by copy-pasting c# tuts they don't really understand. That stand for GDscript too, once you know how Godot works, it's piss easy to use, and you don't need more than an hour to learn the syntax and start scripting.
>>
>>832188
It is piss easy, but I'd still prefer to just code in the same language I do other stuff with. Let's be clear, that wouldn't stop me from learning it if I wanted to, but just saying. I guess it becomes more annoying when you switch between tech often.
>>
>>832188
>Learning a new scripting language is piss easy
That's not the point - it's unnecessary.
>>
>>832230
what's unnecessary is c# in unreal. it's too heavy for quick scripting, and c++ is already there for performance critical piece of code. a light scripting language would fit perfectly for people that don't like to untangle spaghetti nodes, and I don't mind spending an hour, once, to learn it. you could argue that they should use existing scripting language like Python, but it come with a ton of unnecessary, outside of scope of uses feature that can break the engine/game in ton of subtle way. you can use a subset of the language, but then you end up with Gdscript.
>>
>>
>tfw Lumen presentation is at the same time of world premieres of new bibeo games
>tfw this is a true test if you're a producer or consoooomer
>tfw I decided to just watch premieres live and Lumen presentation later
>>
>>832263
This is crazy, what are your specs?
>>
>>832266
3300 ryzen and 2060gtx 16GB of ram. I also have an m2 drive but I havent been able to figure out how much of a difference that's been making.
>>
My primary build target is phones from 3 years ago. Is unreal good for this?
>>
>>832316
For mobile, Unity is definitely a better option.
>>
>>832320
and why's that?
>>
>>832323
Smaller file sizes, games run better, pretty much everyone uses it for mobile, so more learning resources etc.
>>
>>832263
buck bumble vibes
>>
chinky chinkle chinkware
>>
File: ..png (281 KB, 676x420)
281 KB
281 KB PNG
I thought I'd mess around with boob physics. It's turning out to be a real headache. When I simulate each breast individually, it's fine. When doing both at the same time, one collapses into the body. It seems to be related to the symmetry of the rig (built in blender); after rebuilding the breast bones and symmetrizing from right-to-left as opposed to left-to-right as I initially did, the left breast spazzes out instead of the right as it previously did. Curiously, even after building both sides individually (that is, not symmetrizing anything) the problem persists. It's not the collision, turning it off yields the same result. I've tried using a different model too. I'm at my wits' end with this.
>>
>>832663
The simulate button seems really buggy to me. Sometimes I need to close the skeletal mesh window and reload it for proper sim. One guess I have is maybe there's another bone higher up the left tit's heiarchy and that one doesnt have proper constraints setup when you try to simulate more bones.
>>
>>832666
It's not just the simulate button though, I tried setting up physics simulation on a character as well and it happened during play too. And I've tried redoing the constraints several times. No dice. Nice trips though.
>>
>>832674
Thinking about that, Samus + Sci-Fi setting would fit perfectly for a LUMEN(tm) testdemo. Shiny suit, with glowing parts, walking down futuristic metal hallways should give a decent ray-traced eye-candy!
>>
File: cat of crey.jpg (86 KB, 1231x915)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Anybody got some good resources for lighting in Ue4?

I'm finding balancing the light and exposure really hard with environment stuff, If I just chuck rect lights everywhere I can get a great studio render but plasuible environment lighting is filtering me.
>>
>>832666
Well, it was an improper constraint. There was an underlying issue with the scale, but it all became really obvious after sorting that out. Thanks Lucifer.
>>
bump
>>
>>832833
Speaks to the quality of this board that this thread needs bumping. Buncha noobs and coomer modelers.
>>
>>832834
Yeah, it has been particularly bad in these recent months. There were times when these threads were booming and there were some genuinely good people posting in WIPs. I hate it how one guy is now completely derailing the board and mods don't want to do anything about it. At least delete the threads if ban can't do anything. And some mod is obviously lurking here, you can notice how some particularly NSFW posts get deleted almost immediately.
>>
only got weekends to try out stuff
working normal 40h job sucks...

/3/ is a worksafe board though, /h/ has 3d threads, but doubt its a good place there to discuss modelling own stuff... :/
we would probably need /3x/ for that...
>>
>>832838
Tbf, I haven't tried UE5 yet too busy with UE4, but it's great to read the actual discussions.
>>
>>832263
is your character a light bulb or something?
>>
https://help.quixel.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360015631737-Unreal-5-Surface-Displacement

So it turns out displacement is removed from UE5 at the moment and I'm still not sure if it will come back or be completely replaced with Nanite. That sucks, man... Now I'm not sure what to do with ground on my current project. Since it is small in scale, I guess I'll just displace the whole ground mesh as a single piece and bring it into UE5.
>>
File: file.png (1.39 MB, 1366x768)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
I have to wonder, if we're getting a new engine, are we getting some semblance of a new UT since every major release of UE came with a new tournament? Or did Fortnite completely kill all chances of this happening? I know there was one in development which was halted/abandoned due to Fortnite's unexpected and explosive popularity.

God, I miss Unreal Tournament.
>>
>>833330
UT is a terrible fit for the features of UE5, UT is about corridors and mostly interior locations with manmade surfaces, something neither lumen or nanite are needed to help with considering you'd just bake the lighting and geometry isn't an issue.
>>
>>833084
Do the geometry tools work in UE5? I haven't tested yet. But if they do, you can do the subdividing, displacing, sculpting and other tweaks in the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYOqqZE85M8
>>
>>833330
>check out the UT4 pre alpha when it's first released, it's a barely held together and really bad version of UT99
>piss off for two years
>they actually made the movement satisfying, the gamemodes are fun, and it has things like a server browser and modding support that you don't really see in games anymore
>they fucking killed it
It hurts bro. Three years ago they said they planned to come back to it but it was really a non answer, I'd be shocked if UT ever comes back. Also they burned the community who put work into UT4 pretty hard with the way they "cancelled" it.
>>
>>833330
Epic has no further plans to do anything Unreal/Unreal Tournament related.
>>
>>833350
>"you could procedurally place these cards in Houdini but I wanted to manually place them"
>proceeds to copy-paste entire rows of identically spaced cards
>says it's hard to place things manually
>doesn't use a DCC that offer tools to make manual placement easy
>....like fucking Houdini
What happened to Quixel? Imagine being new and thinking this workflow isn't garbage.
>>
>>833351
Yeah, its really stupid. It has such potential giving the fact that they could have opened it for community maps and all sorts of customization. All they had to do was creating the core gameplay and give it to the community. It would have been awesome for environmental artists to not only make maps for it, but have people actually playing those maps.
>>833359
Why do it the easy and smart way if you could make the workflow as tedious and retarded as possible.
I could have done the rooftop in a fracture of the time. (using only Blender even)
>>
>>833351
>they burned the community who put work into UT4 pretty hard with the way they "cancelled" it.
How's that? As far as I'm aware they just said
>uhh yeah Fortnite is popular so we're pulling all the devs from UT, so what you have now is what you get
or did they do something worse?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.