[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>friends shilling blender
>teacher shilling blender
>dedicates whole day to teach us blender
>everyone I know uses blender
i-industrybros??
>>
>>820411
>half job offers are for blender
feels good desu
>>
>>820414
In what bizarre dimension? Here in Germany you are either good at Maya, 3ds or C4D or you won't get any work in that field.

>>820411
Just use what you're comfortable with. You can always do the transition to any other package.
>>
Whats even good about Blender? The results look like something a highschooler would shit out on his first semester, why is everyone shilling this software?
>>
>>820426
It's free.
>>
>>820427
My time isn't free so fuck that.
>>
>>820419
Literally Max, Maya, Blender, usually saying either or for smaller indie studios Blender only. Never seen an offer for C4D
>>
>>820426
>results look like
Results depend on the person creating them. If you can't model for shit you won't be able to get any better results in other soft. The problem is Blender is accessible, so lots of noskills use it and brag about their work, so that's what you mostly see.
>>
>>820427
It all sums to this. Imagine if Blender with it's "similar features" was just slightly cheaper than Maya or 3Dsmax .
>>
>>820435
>Imagine if Blender with it's "similar features" was just slightly cheaper than Maya or 3Dsmax
Literally C4D
>>
>>820438
C4D for all its shortcomings is still better than blender. Also far better selection of plugins and 3rd party renderers.
>>
>>820440
Probably slightly better if you want to render stuff, but for strictly asset creation Blender shits on it.
>>
>>820442
And I shit on blender.
>>
>>820411
>>
>>820419
You are gonna get fired and replaced by a pajeet soon then.
>>
>>820448
No, I'm a TD and programmer, not some prop monkey. I will always find work.
>>
>>820411
The most depressing thing about Blender is that there is virtually no good art produced with it that's not low poly.
>>
File: EzBZFCvXAA82-FN.jpg (239 KB, 1920x960)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
>>820426
>blender is shit because begginers are shit
have you tried to fucking get good with blender?
>>
>>820494
Not worth the time and effort.
>>
>get into industry
>half of the team are maya or max, blendets are juniors or middles at best and getting laughed at for falling for hype
>-"can i do this in blender?" -"lmao, no, you can't"
>>
>>820515
Project harder
>>
>>820515
Blender will be the default app in 20 years.

The more time it passes, the best blender becomes and more companies and studios start to use it.

Eventually at some point, there will be no point for most smaller studios to use autoshit.
>>
>>820527
>>820525
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
AHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>820530
>blender keeps improving
>slowly some company realizes they can do the same with blender (because is open source) at cheaper cost (because they can simply donate 10% of the autocuck licence and just hire a single full time blender developer as support).
>Blender keeps improving
>Eventually it gets to a point where is good enough for most smaller studios
>Each new version is harder to justify not switching to blender

It's just a matter of time before a big studio starts funding and customizing blender into their pipeline.

Could be some anime studio, who knows.
>>
>>820534
I think you need a healthy dose of reality. Blender's share is nothing in the the bigger scope of things.

Also:
>weebshit
Who the fuck cares
>>
>>820541
It's just a matter of time.

It's a marathon and not a sprint.
>>
File: 4pd2u0.png (72 KB, 472x468)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>820543
>I-It's just a matter of time
>industry leader by 2030
>>
blender may become another tool, but it will never be THE tool because it doesn't have any killer features at all
it's just another box modeling package, but hey it's free, but big studios never really cared about licensing because they use volume licensing and office / payroll spendings are nothing compared to software
so it a niche solution in the industry built entirely around maya and zbrush. and blender can't compete with them at all. blender will never get fast geometry / deformation solver because it's open source trash no one gave a fuck about and it had zero redeeming factors until 2.8 ui redesign and it still works like a fucking snail with everything except low poly \ midpoly. blender will never get studio tools because of fucking GNU, go educate yourself on this point. zbrush? nothing. blender can't deal with high polys for shit, you will never clean up 25m prod scans with blender.
but hey, blender can do box modeling, oh fuck, but every fucking software can do box modeling!
>>
File: 1590082580357.jpg (87 KB, 800x764)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>820552
>everything on the industry is big hollywood productions
I love how you ignore all the non big hollywood industries.

Blender literally dominates every scientific and medical companies like NASA, because they don't care about muh "HOLLYWOOD" pajeet made VFX.

https://www.blender.org/user-stories/nasas-experience-curiosity/

I love how now you will cope by saying that NASA is a bunch of nobodies in the industry.
>>
>>820534
>It's just a matter of time before a big studio starts funding and customizing Blender into their pipeline, and having their improvements released as GPL for any competitors to grab.
FTFY
>>
>>820554
>Blender literally dominates every scientific and medical companies like NASA

No.
>>
>>820562
Yes.

Scientist don't care about muh big billion dollar features, and they're poorfags to spend on industry tools.
>>
>>820554
Almost all videos of SIGGRAPH papers use Maya to display simulated/cached results
>>
File: 247553953_orig.jpg (6 KB, 216x197)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>820562
lol no you delusional hobbyist.
>>
>>820568
>SISGRAPH
AKA hollywood garbage.
>>
File: 1591485494538.png (1.32 MB, 2560x1440)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>820564
>and they're poorfags to spend on industry tools.
lol in Academia they don't give a fuck about a few thousands for a software license, the grant covers it and there are more expensive things to put money into. Besides, practically all companies offer cheaper academic/education licenses.

Good luck working with big datasets in Blender, by the way.
>>
>>820570
You have no idea what you're talking about you 3D tourist.
>>
>>820571
>>820573
Academia is the only place where they prefer to use FOSS, newfags.
>>
>>820571
>Good luck working with big datasets in Blender
Can't imagine blender handing FEM or volume sets in the hundreds of GB range.
>>
>>820574
I've been in Academia, and yours is a false statement. They prefer results. If those can only come from proprietary software, that's what gets bought.

Blender can't reasonably process complex data. That's game over for it.
>>
File: 1583331617675.jpg (22 KB, 169x170)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>820574
On 4chinz since 2004, tourist.
>>
>>820411
Imagine if a carpenter sat around bitching all day about what brand his hammer was. You guys are fags and this is a terrible board.
>>
>>820581
you can either have a nice, strong hammer or a dirty rod with rusty nails that you use to make a rotting hole between your legs
>>
>>820554
so, blender dominates among users and companies where nothing significant is ever made? you that fucking stupid, blendet? nasa is doing space, not 3d, idiot. are you even aware that pretty much all polygonal 3d modeling as we know it today stems pixar and disney? jesus fuck, blendets are that fucking stupid.
>>
>>820581
it's not like that. it's actual carpenters using reliable tools then a shitty hipster pretender rolls into the workshop and starts bitching around muh oldfag using outdated shit, look at my hipster trendy tools i have, please respect me.
>>
>>820494
Why get good on something that has it's obvious limitations?
>>
>>820543
>It's a marathon and not a sprint

This is the biggest cope phrase I've ever heard.
>>
>>820581
>carpenter prefers using a premium DeWalt cordless drill over some cheap Chinese shit because he isn't broke
>>
>>820527
>Blender will be the default app in 20 years.

in 20 years there will be apps with AI auto modeling and animating everything in realtime by just typing in what you want. Nobody will need Maya, Max and definitely not Blunder.
>>
>>820447
if all you want to do is get hired by a studio you are never going to make it
>>
WOOW USE BLUNDER IS SOOO AMAZING
Then you need to move a bunch of vertices on their edges and you can't and then you need to unwrap so you open a paid app to unwrap because blunder can't
amazing program.
>>
you come here and get shilled by blender users
>>
>>820591
A carpenter will invest in a hammer that lasts +20 y . No need to bitch about it. Circular saws on the other hand....
>>
>>820455
Smart move, any recs on languages to learn for programming?
>>
>>820763
ANSI C, C++ and Python. This enables you to do plug-in development and pipeline management / integration for all the major 3D packages.
I also focused heavily on MEL before it was (effectively) retired.
>>
>>820884
What are the mayor 3d packages?
>>
>>820972
Maya, 3ds and Cinema 4D. Those are atm the most sensible (and profitable) when it comes to plug-in and script development, but you can also use C/C++ to write plug-ins for blender.
>>
>>820676
The words you're writing look english, but fuck if it isn't making a sentence that's readable as english.
>>
>>820676
>Then you need to move a bunch of vertices on their edges and you can't

double tap G you faggot
>>
>>820411
>still waiting for big daddy companies to hire you and set your wagecuck job

Use whichever program fits your needs. Fuck this pozzed industry. Start your own biz.
>>
I do Blender as a job and Maya as a hobby.

(It's half of my job actually.)
>>
>>820426
>>820494
i will never understadn all you jews here, nearly all 3d software works exactly the same and do exactly the same
what makes you so assblasted about other software? having to use different hotkey to do literally the same action?
>>
>>820427
Absolute state of poor people.
>>
>>820552
It took Houdini years to crawl it’s own space and start creeping into Maya territory because it had killer features of procedural generation, strong VFX and node workflow (that Autodesk is still developing).
>>
File: 1610272911700.jpg (26 KB, 567x425)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>820571
>lol in Academia they don't give a fuck about a few thousands for a software license, the grant covers it
You fucking dunce. Academia doesn't have an endless stream of money to spare in fucking 3D programs they don't need. Probably in America it does due to the scammy shit that is college education but a whole lot of other places don't have the luxury of paying up thousands a year for a damn Maya or Houdini subscription just because why not.
Specially when the area of research demands lots of spending in things like
>Reactives/components
>Lab machines
>Sampling in some cases (think how "cheap" is to set up a marine survey to get fish or environmental data)
>Keeping live animals or using facilities with live animals in them
>Computers
>Big data computers
>Congress
>Journal subscriptions
>Journal publications in some cases
And so on. So, unless you do some kind of weather,water current or whatever shit that requires state of the art optimized simulations to previsualize those ,like your pic appears to be, there is no point. It's like pretending that bartenders usually buy sets of expensive japanese knives just to cut the lemon that hangs out on the border of the glass.
>>
File: 1606306703198.gif (600 KB, 200x144)
600 KB
600 KB GIF
>>823589
>It's like pretending that bartenders usually buy sets of expensive japanese knives just to cut the lemon that hangs out on the border of the glass.
>>
>>820763
It doesn't matter which language you know, learning one is easy, what matters is if you know how to do shit.
>>
>>823589
>to spare in fucking 3D programs they don't need
I didn't say anything about software *they don't need*, did I?

Also,
>the grant covers it
You should know that grants usually come with very specific guidelines as to how money can be spent. It's extremely rare to get a lump sum to spend whichever way you wish. If the PI deems a software expense necessary, it can and will be made.
>>
>>823752
You have to be 18 or older to post here. Mods.
>>
>>823651
>I didn't say anything about software *they don't need*, did I?
Your post sounded like you were implying that. I mean most academic research doesn't REALLY need or rely on 3d (much less on paid 3d software) and at most they use it for secondary shit like divulgation animations or shit and even then they can just pay a third party.
>You should know that grants usually come with very specific guidelines as to how money can be spent.IF the PI deems a software expense necessary, it can and will be made.
I know which is literally the final point of my post. The IF is usually on very specific areas so not that frequent in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>820411
Polygonal modeling tools are all the same. And 99% of the tribal-tards on this board will never use any of the unique features.
>>
>>820419
>Here in Germany
There is even a single job offer for 3d here? Things aren't as bad as I thought after all
>>
>Blender will never be industry standard, says increasingly nervous man for the 10th time this year
>>
>>824751
Yes. There are tons of job offers for motion graphics shit.
>>
>>820411
>Blender
>doesn´t connect to Zbrush like Max or Maya
...and that´s that :3
>>
File: goz.png (3 KB, 297x68)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>824773
you could pick any number of real reasons but instead you pick something like GoZ that blender actually has.
>>
>Blender because its free
>only works with paid plugins
If i´m going to steal, pirate, and take the meal out of the children´s mouths of the developer i´m rather doing it with pro software, thanks.
>>
>>824794
Most of the important plugins are free anyway.
>>
>>824794
now that you say that... pirating software by big corps won't affect the developer, but pirating small add-on devs can and will do it

thus the ethical thing to do, if one is to pirate, is to pirate Autodesk or similar. Blender stays off-limits to the ethical pirate
>>
File: IMG_20210114_101418.jpg (30 KB, 741x399)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>824824
That's why I buy blender add-ons and pirate ZBrush/substance/marvelous designer
>>
>>824794
all blender plugins are GPL so piracy is completely legal and any anti piracy measures are in fact illegal.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.