[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 26 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bonk.gif (625 KB, 220x219)
625 KB
625 KB GIF
Should I go to college to learn 3D modeling and animation? I know I can teach my self, but is it worth it at all? My mom wants me to go to college but there's nothing I'm really interested in.
>>
>>816436
Don't do it, it's a ripoff. They teach you the bare minimum and you have to learn the complicated stuff by yourself.
Don't do it! Better yet, try learning a trade and do 3D on the side. You won't regret it.
>>
>>816436

I am finishing up my last semester of University at a fairly well known film school. 3D and such is usually an art degree. You would be stuck with ultra liberal, hyper incompetent, whiny wannabe disney princesses that cant even handle making a neighborhood scene out of basic shapes. It was so boring and easy that i added a second major because it wasnt even worth the 40 minute commute there, let alone the money i was paying. The LAST semester of the program only just gets into animation with IK and such. I literally knew more going into college than going out.

Youtube alone is better for teaching. Not even counting all the other resources.

I added a computer science degree and it was much much more challenging. I learned an equal amount of both trivial bullshit that i need to know, and useful information i can directly apply through advanced 3D software such as Houdini.

A Houdini artist combines 3d and computer science and pays insanely well. I got a job offer from a minor AAA studio by showing some rando online what to do for advanced procedural modeling, and it turned out to be someone with a high enough position to directly ask if i wanted it. The studio was in canada and you can probably imagine my response.

So DON'T get a degree directly in 3D or similar, get a degree that you can use alongside it.

By doing computer science, i got exposed to robotics, and having a background in 3D made it really fun to design things for 3D printing.

You might find value doing the same, or consider:
Marketing, to market your art or future endeavors better.
Engineering, to use your modeling skills for CNC/3D printing/design. DO NOT MAJOR IN CAD.
Robotics: Explained above.

If i were to choose all over again i would have skipped the 3D degree and did Robotics alone, or combined with computer science.
>>
>>816436
Udemy and youtube. Save yourself a college loan. Employers really only care about portfolio anyway, they could give a shit if you have a degree or not.
>>
Klee you need to shut the fuck up and get back to being cute.
>>
>>816436
You go to college to get laid and get away from your parents, not to learn a trade.
To learn, you search the internet.
>>
>>816456
This is your brain on Hollywood.
>>
>>816436
The only 3d art schools worth going to are Gnomon and Full Sail and those are mostly for the connections that will get you a job (if you're not an asshole / sperg).

The thing you should really probably do is a combination of self teaching (pirate the gnomon DVDs) and then, assuming you get in and can afford it, actually go to the school.
In order to stand out you need to do a ton of extra work on your own, and ideally have been doing work all along, and you need to go beyond the bare minimum of what you learn at school.

Also, what are you actually good at and how do you spend your time?
>>
Most art schools, especially private ones you have never heard of, are absolute garbage. If it's a for profit private college you turn 720 degrees and blast them with a hadouken.

The TL;DR is that you need to either get into a school with a good rep and well known name, or don't bother.

You are almost always better off just going for CompSci instead and learning 3D on your own time. The reality is Youtube and Polycount forum tuts are going to be better than 99% of the shit you would learn in a class.
>>
>>816559
>pirate the gnomon DVDs
Any good sites for that besides rutracker?
>>
>>816535
He’s not wrong
>>
>>816456
I didn't get laid, but made some good friends
>>
>>816436
Don't do it
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
go study houdini with this absolute chad.
>>
>>816631
I got laid, but didn't keep any good friends.
>>
>>816640
>>816631
I didn't get either. Feelsbadman.
>>
File: 1591081727597.png (72 KB, 900x727)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>816641
Sorry to hear, anon. I hope the future brings you better.
>>
>>816436

No don't go to art school. STEM is the way my little Klee. Do it for fun and once you get rich to the point you can leave STEM to work as a 3d slave, you'll have skills to fall back on easily unlike the pure 3d slave who can only work part-time in Starbucks.

To give you an idea, I went through my 3d and 2d expenses ever since starting out in fall last year. I spent roughly $4k usd buying zbrush, toolbag, painter, clip studio, a chinese display tablet and a handful of tutorials.

I have stopped spending realizing the shit I bought was already free in the internet however, it still came out significantly cheaper than going to $40k usd in debt for art school.
>>
>>817240
Very good advice for someone who enjoys 6 polygon boobies.
>>
>>817240
>once you get rich to the point you can leave STEM to work as a 3d slave
Why would you ever do it at that point? It is clear as day you never worked in this industry. It is a job like everything else and you won't be just fucking around and have fun with it all the time.
>>
>>817240
>once you get rich
And this is where your plan falls apart.
>>
>>816436
DAE is a good college
>>
>>816436
If it's free, yes.
>>
I'm really enjoying animation mentor so far but I more or less feel like I'm paying for networking opportunities/motivation than I am actual content that I couldn't just find in a less organized fashion on udemy/cgpeers etc. Having someone from dreamworks to critique my shitty walk cycle is really nice and makes the whole thing feel more real and attainable and the student community is great and a far cry from the gatekeeping/whining you'll find here. I'm pretty confident I'll find a job when I finish with it, but am at the same time aware that if I was more self motivated I could probably learn the same skills in the same amount of time practically for free. But I'm not self motivated at all so the investment and having weekly assignments to be graded on keeps me focused on honing my skills rather than getting distracted and wanting to work on pet projects doing only what I'm interested in in that moment and forever having shit fundamentals.
>>
>>817615
>networking opportunities/motivation
That's worthy. Also, regarding organized content: you save time, a lot of it.

I went through university (not 3d related) and am now learning 3d on my own, am well motivated, and still, I think learning at uni can be much faster, simply because most content is given to you already organized. No time lost searching for content, and, most importantly, trying to decide what is actually worth to put your time into, and what you can postpone studying or even ignore. Going solo, at least for me, is kinda like "first get a general idea of everything, then specialize", which is certainly not optimal at getting you quickly to the job market.
>>
File: 80672954_p0.png (35 KB, 800x600)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Not for 3D no unless you want to make connections with classmates and professors. I went to college for 2 years for 2D and ended up getting a 3D modeling / animation position thanks to someone I knew. I didn't know much about 3D save for a single class I took but there's plenty of resources on the internet to git gud.
>>
if it's online don't do it, you don't really get any connections doing it online. It is useful for developing indie teams willing to work for revshare when doing school projects. Though you can get that experience doing a gamejam.
I guess I would say take a community college course on 3d to unlearn some bad practices you have made while teaching yourself though.
If you are planning on transferring from a community college to a 4 year you might as well just avoid any art classes in community college. They will try their best to make you retake those classes.

That said the only good thing about art colleges are getting connections. They teach you pretty much nothing.
>>
>>816436
>My mom wants me to go to college but there's nothing I'm really interested in.

Business communications.

Sounds boring as fuck, doesn't it? But you can do almost anything in life after college and that degree will help you.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.