[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 111 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: blendergen.jpg (85 KB, 1000x500)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
Previous thread hit the bump limit. This is a blender general thread for all your questions/posts/anything else to do with Blender. Mainly to prevent individual questions posts from making the board shit.
Read the official board FAQ before posting so that this thread doesn't die faster than it should: >>561987

Previous Thread: >>807837
>>
File: EvM8w8ZUcAEQ7TO.jpg (41 KB, 437x355)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>813544
bump
>>
>>813544
OP here. I'm trans if that matters.
>>
How would you go about making something from blender interactable in VR? I'm guessing you make whatever and then convert that into some game engine?
>>
File: 1616856381614.webm (2.97 MB, 640x360)
2.97 MB
2.97 MB WEBM
>>
Fluids fucking sucks.
Why do I have to do to a 10000scale for the fluid to even start working?
I'm at 500 resolution divisions and this 0.002 scale object won't emit fluid.
When I scale everything up so that the object is at scale 4, the rest is so big that the viewport breaks and the fluid is just a few polygons at 500 resolution divisions and lags blender down to 2fps on a 5950x system.

What the fuck are you supposed to do?
>>
Is it bad practice if I construct characters in those character creator software first, get reference shots from the front and side then model a new thing off of those?
>>
>>813654
>What the fuck are you supposed to do?
Disregard Blender, learn Houdini.
>>
>>813664
Minimum of 2k usd a year to make jizz, I guess it's worth it.
>>
>>813654
Yeah, Blender's sims all have this weird thing about them where they are designed to work on a huge scale.

You can try a particle sim set to fluid and use metaballs as the render object. You get something similar to a real fluid sim at much faster speeds, close to, if not real time. It doesn't look nearly as good but it's something. A little hard to work with though, requires lots of tweaking.
>>
>>813669
Nah, you can use the Apprentice for free (though it would make it difficult for you to export high res shit), the Indie for $250/year, or simply pirate the FX.
>>
Dumb question that I know the answer is "you can do that with houdini".

Blender uses actual particle sims for its fluid and smoke sims now right? Like the sims use physics particles and then smooths them to look like fluid/smoke? Which was the whole point of FLIP systems.

Is there any way to control the way those particles look, so I could instance an object as the particle and have a particle system of whatever objects I want behave like fluid/smoke?
I don't know how much that question makes sense though.
>>
File: issues.jpg (81 KB, 700x700)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Any ideas why my normal map doesnt work in Substance painter?
Switching between OpenGL and DirectX doesnt help
>>
File: normalMap.jpg (21 KB, 512x512)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>813690
>>
>>813690
I think this is the issue: https://docs.substance3d.com/bake/black-shading-cross-are-visible-on-the-mesh-surface-159451846.html

Ideally you should feed Painter the mesh already triangulated and with tangents specified, otherwise Painter computes their own, and those may not match the ones that were used when making the normal map.
>>
>>813695
thanks, works now.
Really thought i could get away with a quad mesh
>>
BlenderToday-Pablo stumbled around the matter (like he often does when topics are a bit uncomfortable), pretty much claimed Sculpt-Pablo noped the fuck out of the Texture paint mode because it's related to brush management and apparently it's such a clusterfuck that no one wants to take care of it, in the end meaning Texture Paint mode is abandoned AGAIN.
>>
>>813884
there's only one solution:
quick, we need a dynamically curved wavy star shaped SPIRALS facesets masking sculpt brush!
>>
>>813629
>HOW DO MODEL AN ANIMU GRIL
>subdivide some box
>sculpt the rest of the fucking animu

Still cool though lmao
>>
File: crap.png (402 KB, 1449x1219)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
not much progress these last few days. just basic shit.
>>
how long of learning blender does it usually take to start designing people in 3D?
>>
>>813898
10,000 hours.
>>
File: example vp8.webm (173 KB, 480x270)
173 KB
173 KB WEBM
>Trying to make an animation where a series of boxes move and rotate in unison
>Array doesn't work because now all the boxes in the array rotate based on the origin of the original box (webm related)
>duplicate doesn't work because location keyframes put the duplicates right on top of the original so I would have to re-animate everything anyway
Is there an easy way to make an array of objects or move a bunch of keyframes to a new location?
>>
>>813935
Probably gonna have to settle for separate (shift+d) or instanced (alt+d) objects, and a "copy rotation" constraint.
Personally, I'd use instances if the objects are going to be the same. That way you can just change one of them and it'll work on all of them.
>>
File: Screenshot_449.jpg (63 KB, 621x699)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
You will never be an industry standard
>>
File: 1616841620717.png (224 KB, 555x511)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
>>813961
ohnonono blenderbros... how can we cope
>>
File: corner.png (200 KB, 667x566)
200 KB
200 KB PNG
I was watching a hard surface modeling tutorial a while back and the guy changed some option so the geometry on the corner isn't pinched into a triangle like pic related, and looked more like evenly sized quads lining the entire edge. I can't find where I saw it, does anyone know how to do what I'm talking about? It was in a drop down menu somewhere in a properties selection there on the right side of the screen. I'm starting to think it was an option on a boolean maybe, and this was made by extruding so I don't know if they compare.
>>
File: 474.png (411 KB, 1134x651)
411 KB
411 KB PNG
>>813985
>>
>>813999
Thanks, that was legitimately helpful, you've just done a nice thing and I appreciate it.
>>
Can you all explain to a retard like me why it takes so long to build the BVH when I use GPU render compared to my CPU?

My CPU builds it so fast that even though it takes longer to do tha actual rendering, its still faster then my overal GPU render.
Why is this?
>>
>>813690
You have to invert the green channel. Run a seperate RGB node then invert that G my guy
>>
blender is so comfy bros, meanwhile 3ds m*x looks like a 2007 clusterfuck
>>
>>814061
That's because they kept stacking functionality on top of each other for literal decades, same with what happens under the hood. That's also why those old software packages started to get more and more unstable. Shit's literally about to collapse if they don't rebuild everything from the ground up soon (but the INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS just keep paying them nevertheless so why would they?)
>>
>>814061
Blender looks and works like complete shit.
It's crazy how they haven't improved it.
>>
>>814085
Name some software that just werks for (You)
>>
>>814085
i think you're describing 3ds max
>>
>>813884
That’s great news. More power directed into features that matter.
>>
>>814079
>>
>>814079
>>814085
Blender looks great, but works like shit. Max is the opposite. Shame blenderdevs would rather spend time improving cloth brushes than fixing what matters.
>>
>>814086
UE4.

>>814088
Also looks like it's stuck in the early 2000.
Same with houdini.
>>
>>814094
This. I suppose it's the best way they can get an audience nowadays. New shiny thing!, but mostly useless.

Blender: 3d creation for ADHD retards.
>>
>>813670
I need to export as .abc and it needs to look good. I'll look into it though.

>>813676
I tried it, followed a tutorial but as soon as I enter a letter into the node search bar houdini crashes.
I guess that 4k usd a year gets you a working search function.
>>
>>814164
>I tried it, followed a tutorial but as soon as I enter a letter into the node search bar houdini crashes.
filtered
>>
>>814164
fucking filtered
>>
>>814174
>>814176
Stop shaming me for not being a professional 3d artist!
>>
>>814163
>Shame blenderdevs would rather spend time improving cloth brushes than fixing what matters
What exactly needs 'fixing'?
>>
>>814220
Not him but seriously? Performance across the board is in desperate need of fixing and everyone complains about it.
>>
>>814079
>That's because they kept stacking functionality on top of each other for literal decades
So has blender though.
There's shit in blender that literally hasn't been improved since it was added in like 2004 or some shit.
Case in point, NURBS. They did the most basic as fuck implementation once, and never touched it again since it was added.
>>
>>814223
Performance is not something you 'fix'. Performance is an ongoing process on all programs and is entirely dependant on what you use it for. My coworkers complain even at 3Ds Max performance because they work at 100m+ poly scenes. Blender has been gaining a lot of recent performance updates.
>>
so i am a noob and i want the textures for a material(specifically garclic, but i'll have to deal with this problem with other stuff in the future anyway), but nothing close to it does exist in the free texture websites i browsed.i am not that good at photoshop.not any good photo closeups.also i'd like some variations on it.

what's the wisest path to walk? try to make it full procedural? learn how to make it from scratch using GIMP/photoshop? do the 3d model, sculpt and paint on blender and then try to extract and adapt the texture to use for more instances?
>>
>>814292
This post is hand-waving of a degree that only Blender fanboys can attain.

"Performance is an ongoing process on all programs and is entirely dependant on what you use it for." The fuck does this even mean? lol
>>
>>814293
wip thread has a link to a bunch of free resources. Check there if you haven't already.
>>
How dumb do I have to not be in order to use blender, cause i'm not good at math.
>>
>>814306
Blender is suitable for all IQs 70 and up, with an especially good fit up to 105 IQ.
>>
>>814293
you could use the stencil and some pictures of garlic
>>
>>814163
It's not so much that, it's more like blender isn't a product designed to fit a specific gap in the market, it's an open source project mainly for and by people who aren't interested in anything that isn't open source. Naturally it just recovers a lot of ground with stuff like the sculpting shit or texture painting that the industry chad just has no use for. If you're an industry chad the only things you'd ever use blender for are modelling, retopo, UV, and rendering which sucks because the UV really needs some work and eevee is slow as shit + lacks a shadowcatcher which means i still have to use marmoset for my asset showcases.

If eevee rendered the frames to disc as fast as it did in the viewport and we had viewport compositor (+ the compositor wasn't slow as shit) it'd be a KILLER bit of software for showcasing your work.
>>
>>813664
THIS

Blendlets are the lowest tier of 3D artists. If you want to get anywhere in 3D, especially simulations, learn Houdini.
>>
>>814374
pyw
>>
>>813544
Ok, I've got the sculpture part down, but I have no idea how to texture characters in a way that does not look like shit, all the videos I've watched don't arse themselves with anything that is not handpainted, I want precission.
Any good course or youtuber out there to learn to do what this guy does here (texture wise)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eay22s0TPpk
>>
>>814405
>wants something that does not look like shit
>posts something that looks like shit as an example
what did he mean by this?
>>
Why is Blender outputting terrible PNGs? The left is what the render result looks like, but right is what Blender saves.
>>
>>814417
looks like a user error to me
>>
>>814417
>>814418
>looks like a user error to me
I doubt it. I recreated the exact scene in another in blend file without modifying the Output settings at all. Looks fine when I save it without transparency in both the original and the new blend files, but saving it with transparency till has the same issue as my first pic.
>>
File: 1.jpg (91 KB, 676x585)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
How can I merge geometry of a particle system in blender? Made this in 2 seconds to show what I'm talking about. I want the geometry to merge and become a single mesh instead of clipping
>>
File: remesh.png (141 KB, 755x719)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>814424
The easiest way is to merge all the spheres into one mesh (ctrl + j), select the newly merged object, go to sculpt mode, and remesh it with ctrl + r. You can adjust the voxel size remesh uses with shift + r. Smaller voxels provide more precise, higher poly results, while larger ones provide less precise, lower poly results. Pic rel.
>>
File: remesh2.png (199 KB, 894x716)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>814427
and in this pic, I subdivided the object first, and then remeshed at a higher resolution.
>>
>>814421
I tried rerendering and saving as an exr (right), and it's a bit better, but it still looks much worse than the render result (left).
>>
>>814427
This is exactly why I needed. Voxel size is working weird but it may be because of the shitty laptop. Will try later on the desktop. Thanks anon!
>>
>>814432
what* sorry, ESL
>>
>>814432
Happy to help, my dude. If the shift + r method of adjusting the voxel size is acting strangely, you can manually adjust it under the remesh menu, to the right of the Dyntopo menu.
>>
>>814405
The existence of furries makes me happy that people have limited life spans.
>>
File: bump map.png (519 KB, 1299x989)
519 KB
519 KB PNG
>>814405
you can recreate the effect in the video like this although I would recommend not doing that method because it looks like arse.

If all you're seeing is handpainted stuff then look up mech texturing.
>>
>>813684
bumping this question
>>
>>813684
>>814483
i think blender is using sdf volumes for its smoke sim, and afaik those aren't really particles. they aren't treated as such in houdini either. eg in houdini if you wanted to do a 'swarm of any object behaving like a smoke sim' you're first do the smoke sim, then use that to drive/advect a particle sim and then instance geometry onto those particles.

no idea about fluid sims tho, too much for my toaster.
>>
File: binary volume.jpg (1.23 MB, 1500x1500)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
>>814493
>first do the smoke sim, then use that to drive/advect a particle sim and then instance geometry onto those particles.
Looks like that's also the workflow for Blender as well from what I'm looking at now.
You do the smoke sim, add a "Smoke Flow" forcefield and use that to drive a particle system.

Seems like it's mainly used to make embers and stuff like that, and not really for replicating the movement of smoke. The documentation and stuff are really nonexistent too.
Still, I might start there and see if I can get it to work.

Really all I wanted to do was make some tron-esque smoke cloud made of binary 1's and 0's. Like pic related, but flowing like smoke.
>>
File: file.png (694 KB, 1145x1002)
694 KB
694 KB PNG
How do I add a switch node to the Shader Editor? I have a bunch of mix nodes I would rather be simple checkboxes so that I can make the textures visible/invisible when animating my model.

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/compositing/types/layout/switch.html

I'm on version 2.92 BTW.
>>
>>813544
So the Blender texture painting tools suck ass... unless I'm using them wrong. They're either super blurry or super pixelated. What's a better way to texture a human mesh?
>>
>>814542
you aren't ready for better texturing tools if you can't figure out brush hardness

or more than likely your UVs are just insane.
>>
Is there any way of converting child hairs into real hairs?
I want to make the overall basic shape using one hair, lots of children and clump curves, then convert them to actual hairs later for some finer details.
>>
>>814533
You dont.
I don't even think you can animate the checkbox of a switch node anyway.
You're better off just animating the mix factor with the interpolation set to constant (so that the change is instant and on the frame you specify). It's the same thing, and uses the same amount of keyframes as animating a checkbox on/off.
>>
File: turd cloud.png (754 KB, 1920x1080)
754 KB
754 KB PNG
Eevee's new volumetric render quality is pretty impressive
>>
File: 1615794022442.png (37 KB, 342x674)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>814427
You don't need to go to sculpt mode to remesh an object, you can do it directly from the mesh's properties.
>>
>>814403
https://vimeo.com/zybrand
>>
>>814591
>pronouns
Anon, I...
>>
>>814297
It means performance is subjective. As a game artist it is a non-issue, and as a vfx artist you just gotta chill with the subdivides and multiple objects.
Also 'across the board' is simply wrong. The only 'slow' factor is single-object edit mode, everything else is up to par or better.
>>
>>814601
>everything else is up to par or better.
Try the following:
>using undo, especially on complex sculpts
>boolean dense meshes
>remesh an object of a few million polys
>sculpt with alphas on objects with 5+ mil poly
>use any sculpt brushes on 10+ mil poly objects
>>
>>814601
>Also 'across the board' is simply wrong.
Not really. Undo is notoriously bad. Edit mode is slow with lots of polys. Object mode is slow with lots of objects. Sculpt, see the post above. Animation playback is slow, particularly with subdivs. Compositor is slow. Lots of hair particles slows ALL of Blender down until they are disabled... I'm sure I could find more instances of complaints if I cared to.

And I know there is a limit to anything, but compared to specialized software, Blender is slow.
>>
>>814601
As a game artist myself blender being slow as fuck absolutely makes a huge difference because it means I can't sculpt in it and I also don't even render out asset demonstrations in it soon as marmoset will spit out a render in 1/8th of the time of eevee.

>>814604
lol try the lasso trim tool in sculpt mode on a mesh of less than 100k tris and it'll take 10 seconds.
>>
>>814601
>It means performance is subjective.
No, it isn't. You can objectively compare Blender's performance for a given scenario against other software. Whether you find such performance acceptable or not to you is irrelevant.
>>
>>813894
shitty attempt at a tree
>>
File: uggg.png (305 KB, 958x752)
305 KB
305 KB PNG
New to blender
Is this concave-y ness for the front and back of the shoulders normal or did I fuck something up?
>>
File: unknown.png (159 KB, 812x682)
159 KB
159 KB PNG
>>814654
>>
File: ugggg.png (326 KB, 790x783)
326 KB
326 KB PNG
>>814655
Looks fine from the front and back but odd from an angle.
>>
>>814558
That's what I ended up doing. I found out the switch node in the doc was only for composite nodes anyway, which is why I was confused why I wasn't seeing it in the shader editor.
>>
File: SmokeParticles.webm (2.42 MB, 512x512)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB WEBM
>>814507
>Really all I wanted to do was make some tron-esque smoke cloud made of binary 1's and 0's. Like pic related, but flowing like smoke.

Like this? Have you figured it out?
>>
>>814551
I've never tried this but you can apply the particle system turning it all into edges, which you then might be able to convert back into a particle system through an addon. I think HairNet may be able to do this from edges or curves. Though I don't know if it's still updated.
>>
>>814676
Yeah kinda.
I've been busy, so I haven't actually gotten a chance to fiddle around with it yet.
I'm guessing that's the smoke flow forcefield?
>>
>>814684
In 2.92 it's called the fluid flow forcefield but yeah.

It's just a smoke fluid domain, a plane with both a smoke fluid flow and the particle system with gravity turned off and the forcefield.

I don't think I changed any settings in any of them in any significant way for this result.
>>
I'm trying to learn how to do retopology. I watched a few videos. I turned on snapping and set it to faces. Turned on backface culling. I make a plane and drag it to where I'm going to begin. It snaps to the sculpted mesh just fine. But when I try to move an edge, vertice or extrude anything, it completely flips out, flashing like crazy and the vertice/edge whatever will not move whatsoever, it just flips out. What the hell am I doing wrong?
>>
>>814696
nevermind, I didn't have project individual elements on. seems to work fine now
>>
Hello Im getting this error on blender "a graphics card and driver with support for opengl 3.3 or higher is required" I saw this video where you download the opengl file but I don't know if its legit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBcnPLMZBE8
please help :')
>>
>>814738
Find out what GPU you have and then if it supports opengl 3.3 or higher. If it does, download the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. Don't download things from youtube videos.

If your GPU does not support opengl 3.3 you will have to use Blender 2.79 or earlier, or get a new GPU.
>>
>>814738
get a fucking non shit tier PC anon.

Opengl 3.3 is literally from 2009.
>>
>>814679
>HairNet
It is, and it should be the default mode to make hair particles in blender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kjrDXIW9L0&t=1s
>>
>>814758
Thanks for your help
>>814760
Weird, my laptop is from 2011
>>
>>814545
useless advice
>>
>>815003
what would be useless is giving that anon advice, it'd be like handing a microchip to a monkey what's he gonna do with it?
>>
File: fucked it.png (1.18 MB, 1920x1080)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
Lads I can't keep doing this, I'm in mental anguish throughout the day. I can't give in or give up, I'll chop my dick off and call myself Mary before I let this 1050ti powered slaughter fest withdraw me from my desires of rendering 30 shipping crates.
>>
>>815017
Why exactly does it hang?
>>
File: AHHHHHHHHHH.png (3.15 MB, 1920x1080)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB PNG
>>815019
As I am new to blender I have a habit of
>what does this do
Unfortunately my graphics card does not share my enthusiasm and has mental breakdowns quite frequently, I'm sure as I learn more this will happen less.
>>
>>813544
I could really use some help.
what are some youtubers and obscure tutorials worth checking out.
i want to learn and make something new.
>>
https://developer.blender.org/T87134

lord have mercy you gotta be joking
>>
>>815031
I would like better edit performance for conventional poly modeling.
>>
>>815031
What's wrong with that?
>>
>>815035
the fact that a button to swap between objects in sculpt mode requires this much beauracracy
>>
>>815028
If you haven't checked him out already. Ian Hubert would be someone to check out if you're looking for niche and neat things to implement into your workflow.
If you're a beginner I'd maybe wait a bit before watching his stuff though. They're pretty quick and assume that you know your way around so they can be so short and to the point.
It's all technically easy stuff, but it might just be hard to follow along with if you're new. It's more of a "hey here's a neat idea and a place to jump off from" rather than straight spoonfeeding.
>>
How do you get good ass topology with box modeling without autistically retopoing everything every step of the way? I've tried various approaches but I can never get the loops I want. I need subdivision so anything involving tris is out of the question.
There was a simple, straightforward guide in an old reference thread but the thread has since 404ed and archives aren't searchable.
>>
>>815060
andrew hodgson's production modelling guidelines are a great place to start

https://www.artstation.com/andrewhodgson/albums/605612

also check out arrimus 3d and just watch people work man, other than that you gotta just keep practicing until you get used to the feel of it.
>>
>>815056
Normally I'd be put off by short videos, but each of these is insane. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>815021
>>815017
>900k tris
>containers still look low poly
Here's your problem. Keep your assets simple and maybe consider using instances.
>>
>>815021
>>815017
The fuck are you doing?
I used a 750Ti up until April 2020 and it only crashed rarely. Do you have some dumbass overclocking going? Is your ram timed incorrectly?
>>
File: husbando.jpg (48 KB, 612x553)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
I mean he's cute af
If I was a girl I'd fuck him
>>
I was learning blender for a while as a hobby and just started with sculpting. And I were thinking about finding a job after a while but I'm not sure how difficult it's to find a job for a common "blender fag" out there, and what kind of job that could be (how much boring, routine and low-paid). So that would be great if anyone could give me an advice and a good place were I could start ,_,
>>
>>815129
you are better off selling props and models to either coomers or delusional game devs
>>
>>815065
Unfortunately I don't see anything about ass topology in his tutorials.
I'll keep looking around as well as doing my own experimentation.
>>
>making woman character
>ass and tits are supposed to hug up against each other
>struggle against clip / merging shenanigans happening that will fuck it all up.
>>
>>815114
"People are always asking what I'm hiding in the corner of my mouth" *reaches into his mouth for it* "It's a silver DOLLAR. YEHH!"
>>
>>815140
How deformed is your character that her tits touch her ass?
>>
>>815129
#1 learn zbrush
>>
>>815140
Take the SecondLife pill and just embrace the clipping
>>
File: hehe.jpg (37 KB, 679x359)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
don't mind me just flexing a glimpse of a retro style render im making :-)
>>
>>815114
Literally unsubscribed a couple days ago.
I don't have to listen to some guy who's fucking lazy with his research or does literally no research at all before babbling about something for half an hour just to rake in clickbucks and maybe shilling his company a couple times.
>>
>>815129
There are plenty of jobs for Blender users, but you gotta be proficient in Maya.
>>
>>815056
thanks for the recommendation.
Sadly i only made it halfway into his first video until i started getting lost.
>>
>>815208
Yeah that's kind of why I went more into it than "check this guy out". His shit is good, but you have to know what you're doing first to know why it's good. Just keep him on the back-burner for a bit.

>>815071
Yeah I really prefer theoretical shit like that. Once you can pretty much make anything you can think of, videos like this that make you think about workflows differently, or have little tricks that you never thought of are real gems.
It's a shame that most channels just go for the low-hanging beginner-friendly-tutorial fruits. I swear every youtuber puts out another beginner tut every day. There's not many channels focused on theory and advanced shit.
>>
File: wh45.png (289 KB, 1177x827)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
still new and learning, making a piece of an outfit for a model. how do I best resolve this edge flow problem? my solution is obviously unusable. still wrapping my brain around edge flow
>>
File: 1591966749889.jpg (262 KB, 1177x827)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>815221
try this
>>
File: unknown.png (223 KB, 640x843)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
mannn it's depressing being a beginner.
>>
File: unknown.png (81 KB, 261x300)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>815240
>>
File: black scott the woz.jpg (193 KB, 1920x1080)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>815240
no it's not being a beginner is amazing, every week or two you get twice as good at 3d.

What really sucks is being intermediate, once you know how to do everything in the pipeline but there's still a gap between you and the very best is when it begins to hurt.
>>
>>815261
shit man. i just hope can get better enough to later start making models of people.
>>
>>815231
perfect thanks anon
>>
>>815265
just download video game models, study them, fuck around with them and you'll see it's not too complicated to understand. just takes time to advance from intermediate to expert
>>
File: IK problems.webm (2.04 MB, 1920x1020)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB WEBM
I followed this tutorial on IK rigging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBYb1YmaOMY
and got Webm related. What seems to be the problem here?
>>
>>815309
the problem is you didn't follow the tutorial because I'm not seeing a bone for the IK sticking out of the ankle

do it again and pay attention.
>>
>>815310
The "foot" is the IK because my character doesn't need feet.
>>
>>815311
>>815310
>>815309
I figured out what I did wrong
>IK controller was parented to another bone when it should have had no parent
>>
File: Nervous Statement.jpg (81 KB, 763x540)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Is there a way to make a bone that uses quaternion values for rotation rotate around the "back" between keyframes? Alternatively, is there a way to convert to euler values without having to redo all of the keyframes?

To put it another way, I want my character to spin clockwise from a keyframe facing 5 o'clock to a keyframe facing 7 o'clock, but the character is instead spinning all the way around counterclockwise between those keyframes, due to using quaternions for rotation values. Is there a way to fix this?
>>
>>815328
have you already keyed on your delta values? Sometimes I use the delts as a quick solution for the type of issue you describe. Just be sure to account for the delta keyframe values later on, I try to zero them back as soon as I;m able to. to save back pedaling and complicated fixes further down the timeline
>>
>>815328
How many bones are moving incorrectly? You could, for each bone:

- create an empty object
- add a copy transforms constraint to the empty copying the transforms of the bone on the end keyframe
- apply the constraint (click the X button next to influence)
- remove the keyframe
- add a copy transforms constraint to the bone copying the empty
- apply it and reset the key

This should result in the bones taking the shortest paths again. If there is a better way to do this, I'd like to know too.
>>
>>815302
well i took your advice and found a both a useful site and a useful vid on how to import a game model.
now i just need to figure out how to move the bone rig or whatever.
>>
>>814601
>performance is subjective
>>
>>815330

I'm sorry, I'm a noob and I don't know what that means.

>>815332

>How many bones are moving incorrectly?

It's just the Hips bone, the root of all the others.

I tried following the instructions, but I obviously screwed something up. To 'delete the keyframe', I just deleted the Hips bone placement of that keyframe. I then added the Copy Transforms constraint and applied it, and it made the bone (and therefore the whole character) tilt at an extreme angle. And now the Hips bone no longer animates or rotates. Should I have used a different 'Mix', 'Target', or 'Owner' for the Copy Transform constraint? I just left everything as the default.
>>
File: weak.jpg (18 KB, 500x586)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>815078
>>815109
>he doesn't crash blender with every click
>>
>>815411
Did you make sure to use a copy transforms constraint on the bone to copy back to the empty and not the entire armature? There are object constraints and bone constraints, bone constraints are only shown in pose mode. You should also be deleting the constraints after you've applied them, they shouldn't interfere with no influence but just to be clear and keep things tidy. Sorry I forgot to mention those.

Otherwise I'm not really sure how to handle the problem. I'm not sure what else could cause the bone to stop animating or rotating.
>>
>>814601
If it runs like shit, it runs like shit.
>>
>>815427

Yeah, the constraint was getting applied to the whole armature, not the bone.

When I applied the constraint to the bone, though, it went back to how it was behaving before, rotating the wrong direction. Dang. I'll try fiddling with things and seeing what I can make happen; thanks for you help!
>>
>>815114
pretty amazing that this guy's most popular videos by a mile are his tutorial series, yet he almost never does them and clearly dislikes doing them, instead opting to do boring blogs and interviews with like fucking random students and shit

also i'm pretty sure he hates his life
>>
>>815417
this, ever since 2.9 something blender crashes for literally any random reason. assign a material to a cube, crash. save a file, crash. add a loop cut, crash. somehow I think my 128 gigs of ram is plenty to run this shitty program
>>
Been sculpting thigh squishes all day, just occurred to me there might be a better way by simming it.

My body mesh is pretty high res, I want to sim some tight panties squishing in. Is there any sim solution that isn't too retarded that can do this? I haven't played with softbody much.
>>
>>815557
In all honesty, you're probably better off sculpting some shapekeys and saving yourself the time, trouble, and headaches from trying to fuck with Blender's sims.

If you're hell-bent on using softbody sims though, there's a neat new feature that lets you preserve the volume in the object which is good for making things squishy but also rigid.
>>
>>815557
post pic of mesh in question. a simple two key setup should suffice
>>
>>815598
That's what iv been doing, I was just wondering if it was simpler to somehow constrict/tighten the clothing and have it press in, if that would be faster

>>815574
What is the new feature called? Is it inside softbody or a whole new thing? I just have literally never played with that stuff in blender so not sure where to start
>>
Metaballs are so frustrating that they appear to defy the purpose, which is to create speedy organic forms.

Example 1: something as simple as a tapering conical shape. You need it for the lower calf (wider below the gastrocnemius, narrower at the ankle). There's no reasonable way to do that with metaballs. All available primitives are symmetrical like boxes.

You can try to build a fasces (a bundle of metaball sticks) to simulate a cone but this becomes unmanageable quite quick. There's no way to snap one end of a metaball stick to a circular guide (or a curve, or an edge) to aid in such an endeavour in the first place.

Example 2: a floppy penis. Not possible. You can only have a stiff stick.
>>
>>815614
Example 3: tear shape.
>>
>>815614
>The technique for rendering metaballs was invented by Jim Blinn in the early 1980s to model atom interactions for Carl Sagan's 1980 TV series Cosmos.

"speedy organic forms" was never their purpose.
>>
>>815618
Is there any other tool for assembling crude organic forms fast? My imagined workflow is joining semi-liquid blobs of clay of various parametric shapes into limbs (with groups of blobs rigged to individual bones) and eventually a full human body.

This shouldn't be rocket science.

Maybe you can do something like that in Sculpt Mode?
>>
>>815632
>Maybe you can do something like that in Sculpt Mode?
There's voxel remesh if it counts. There's nothing as dynamic as
>joining semi-liquid blobs of clay of various parametric shapes into limbs
I don't know if even top-$$$ tools can do this.
>>
>>815632
It’s called extruding, remeshing and using grab brush. Your proposed workflow would be way more time consuming
>>
>>815632
Just use primitive objects and a remesh modifier. Or look into the skin modifier. Or stop looking for shortcuts and learn to model properly or you'll find out eventually that you can't half-ass your way through this.
>>
File: an-mpq-65-770x385@2x.jpg (155 KB, 1540x770)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
Is there a way to have an array fill a space like the hexagons on this radar?
>>
>>815730
desu I'd just make a massive grid, select a circle from the inside and delete the rest.
>>
>>815632
metaballs
>>
>>815749
I tried them. You can't build arbitrary shapes with them. Only bubbly shapes.
>>
Why is it so hard to get a perfectly straight uv island if it has some holes in the middle? I assume the algorithm gets confused because of the holes and can't figure out how to properly align everything, but how to solve this? I got close by aligning everything to one side with UV Toolkit, but the other edge loop is still a bit skewed. I can't perfectly straighten all sides.

I thought it may work if I temporarily fill those holes and then delete later, but since those are insets I can't really fill the face when the other face is behind it, it will fuck it up, no?
>>
>>815614
Further experiments. Picture: a disc with an invisible anti-sphere in the centre and two sticks running across.
>>
>>815764
Artifacts in rendering metaballs. This is maximum detail.
>>
Why do objects snap back to where they started after I keyframe the "animated" box in the rigidbody panel being unchecked?
>>
>>815771
It still seems works with playback despite snapping back in the viewport. Is it really a problem?
>>
>>815774
I kinda explained that bad. I want my chess piece to slide forward with regular location keyframe animation, then I uncheck animated in the rigidbody panel so that it can be knocked down by another piece, but then for whatever reason the piece teleports back to its starting square. I feel like Im misunderstanding some basic shit but Im not totally sure what to google.
>>
>>815777
So it does not work for you when you hit play? It works fine for me. It's only when I actually click the checkbox that the position changes, not when animating.

Make sure your keyframes are correct. It should go: animation checked, start key, end key, animation unchecked, hit.

Try doing it in a test from scratch in a new file.
>>
>>815782
>It should go: animation checked, start key, end key, animation unchecked, hit.

Scratch that. It should be: start, end, check, uncheck, hit. In my case the animation box was checked from the beginning and changed in one frame to unchecked.
>>
>>815786
Gonna try a brand new file when Im done work, but heres a quick pic of whats happening. Top is animated checked, bottom is the frame it gets unchecked.
>>
File: strange pawns.png (1.17 MB, 1372x1752)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
>>815797
>
>>
>>815730
You can make 2 arrays in different axis and to do a boolean to get the shape that you want after
>>
File: hops.jpg (12 KB, 245x191)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Pirated Hardops, bit scared of installing it as I might get fucked with some malware/cryptominer/filelocker. Should I just go ahead?

If anyone here has bought it, can you please kindly tell me the total file count and size of your unzipped HOps folder? The one I have is 1636 items and 15,6 mb/12 mb.

This is the 00987 Francium version.
>>
>>815808
Full name: (2.8) HOps 00987_Francium_6c.zip
>>
>>815808
get a job
>>
>>815813
By using the hardops addon, he certainly won't. *dab*
>>
>>815635
>I don't know if even top-$$$ tools can do this.
Spore can do it :^)
>>
>>815753
Make sure you're in orthographic view before you unwrap. Then if it's still fucky, follow active quads to get everything straight.
>>
>>815845
Yeah, but how to do that when you're unwrapping a cylinder? You can't project from view and get perfect straight island. But cylinder projection doesn't work either. Follow active quads is pretty much the same thing as UV straighten function from TexTools and UV Toolkit, but it still can't figure out what to do if you have holes inside the island.
>>
>>815849
I've never had problems with it.
Maybe your seams are fucked.
Show your model/uvs.
>>
File: first low poly model.jpg (21 KB, 385x608)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
i just made my first low poly humnoid model
what do you think lads?
>>
>>815858
needs more tits and ass so I can fap to it
>>
>>815798
Turns out Im just retarded and hadnt updated the physics. Works totally fine now.
>>
>>815871
Well having small shit like that be the issue is better than an overarching one that completely fucks your project.
At least now you can continue working.
>>
>>815858
i'm jealous
>>
File: 1617339865172.png (134 KB, 1426x549)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
Which workflow results in the best shoulder topology? Mainly thinking about rigging implications here.
The left avoids extra poles on the shoulders, but the right avoids unnecessary neck geometry.
Left: 258 verts / 232 quads
Right: 202 verts / 184 quads
>>
i want to be able to model a single base mesh and position duplicates of it using curves
is there a way to do this using an actual mesh? Something like the curve geometry tab, but with less limitations and using a mesh as input instead of another curve.
>>
>>815965
like micropoly in zbrush for blender?
>>
>>815932
Both are cringe, look at reference ffs.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (51 KB, 1075x710)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
How do I connect those two bones on the left, I'm not just talking about parenting, I need the bones to act like I extruded the bottom one from the top.
>>
>>815813
>get a job
The capacity to turn up for work in the same minute of the day every day for months and years at a time is a sign of extreme brain damage. A proof that the human species is mentally ill, including its "psychiatrists" who have the audacity to call the same capacity "a disorder" in all other circumstances.

I cannot nor I should need to command my attention to suit some business, I can only think about interesting things. I'm happy to offer my hand to some good cause in exchange for money but I'm not autistic enough to do that at the same exact fucking time every day. And no one offers any useful amount of money for short tasks – with Amazon MTurk now being a classic example.

TL;DNR Work doesn't pay, only slavery does. Paid work is a meme, there's none.
>>
>>815844
The only Spore I found is some game from 2008.
>>
>>815997
I believe parenting one bone to another literally does what you are asking for, unless you explicitly choose distance parenting. (I think that option is called "Bone Relative" instead of "Bone".)
>>
>>815932
>that guy who’s scared of poles but has no idea how to shape his model
>>815997
In edit mode, select the end of the bone you want to be the parent of the other bone, shift+s, snap cursor to selection, select the end of the other bone you want moved, shift+s, snap selection to cursor
>>816004
Most studios Ive seen offers from run on so called core hours, usually between 10 and 15. So you can show up whenever you want as long as you fit that window. Also, freelance and set your schedule yourself
>>
File: wtf.jpg (81 KB, 1262x749)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
Retard here, been working on a scene for some time, and when I finally decided to test render it, blender renders a completely transparent image, in eevee or cycles, doesn't matter, they look absolutely fine in the camera view in shading but not when rendered. I don't use layers. I checked the following:
-the toggles in the outliner
-the camera settings
-transparent in film is disabled
-I only have 1 active camera
-changed the file extension to jpeg, even then it's transparent
I'm on 2.92, tested a default cube instance and the render works fine so it's my file that is problematic. If anyone knows a setting that can affect this, please do tell me.
>>
>>813544
Oh my fucking GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD why isn't this stupid shit working? Look at this, it mirrors everything properly (if I try to grab a Face on one side it grabs it on the other as well) but if I try to fucking Extrude this shit and do more changes it goes lol fuck you. What the FUCK did I do wrong bros?
>>
>>816051
Only works for the existing topology
>>
>>816052
God bless you anon. I tried using AutoMirror, didn't work at first, there were artifacts and gaps and shit, but then I applied the Multires I had beforehand and it worked like a charm. Thanks bro
>>
File: mixamo.png (183 KB, 569x622)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
I want to FUCK my model
>>
File: jade coins3.png (2.81 MB, 1920x1080)
2.81 MB
2.81 MB PNG
https://youtu.be/SG_7-PhFiIU What is this style of animation called? it's possible to mimic in Blender, right? I'm almost positive I've seen a tutorial or two but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

It's mimicking stop motionn animations from real life but how do you do it!
>>
>>816060
Looks like it's simply low frame rate animation. Set it to 24 FPS or something, or whatever the FPS standard is for actual stop motion animations
>>
>>816060
>It's mimicking stop motionn animations from real life but how do you do it!
It's not, not even the slightest. It's just low FPS.
How do you even come to think of stop motion seeing this? Baffling.
>>
File: D3PVHFV.png (550 KB, 1405x417)
550 KB
550 KB PNG
>>816066
It looks exactly like Robot Chicken which is stop motion you retard.
>>
>>816067
If your eyes are that bad you mistake low FPS for stop motion you should just go ahead and find a new hobby you dense retard.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wTu3Xssw67Q
>>
File: PVC13382-6.jpg (76 KB, 700x600)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>816069
The title literally says stop motion in it you dumb faggot. Learn to read nigger
>>
>>816069
Not that anon but stop motion IS low FPS, it's the only way they can realistically make videos/movies without wasting a decade (with all the costs that entails) everytime. 24 frames taken for every second is way more feasible than 60, assuming 24 is the standard for stop motions
>>
>>816072
>stop motion IS low FPS
Yes, but low FPS _IS NOT_ stop motion.
There are ways to emulate stop motion, like in the video I posted earlier.
>>816071
Yes, rhe title of the video I posted as example of stop motion shaders in Blender, you fucked up mongoloid.
>>
File: 1614449179286.jpg (20 KB, 480x480)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>816078
I agree with this anon. That video is just on low fps.

>>816071
Stop motion does have few fps because of how much work it is. The best way to go about that would be going 8 fps and do straight ahead animation opposed to pose to pose. But if you want to have the look from the video you posted just use like 8-12 frames per second i guess. Also fuck your garbage attitude. Anon was trying to help u fucking retard
>>
https://www.blendermarket.com/products/curves-to-mesh
>License: GPL
>$25 - Purchase
>free download: nowhere
>source code: nowhere
Aren't they breaking the law?
>>
Blenders when they going to learn everything blender does autodesk and other 3d program do it better and the ui is not shit.
>>
>>816110
You forgot the picture for your Twitter meme post.
>>
>>816110
>everything blender does autodesk do it better
Agreed
>ui is not shit.
Blender has better ui than anything autodesk has ever produced
>>
They're ending support for Windows 7 in Blender 2.93 :(
>>
>>816114
Blender ui is shit how can you make a progam base on short keys is retarded
>>
>>816117
Updates to window 10 boomer
>>
>>816119
are you 7 or just a pajeet
>>
>>816103
what law do you imagine them breaking?
>>
File: radar 3.png (170 KB, 479x329)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
>>815748
thx this seemed to work.
>>815804
Cant seem to get this to work without deleting only part of the hexagons, but thx anyways anon.

So is there a way to get an object to follow a line/curve without deformation without having to resort to this technique: https://www.graphicsandprogramming.net/eng/tutorial/blender/modeling/blender-duplicate-long-a-curve-without-deformation?
>>
I've hit a brick wall with my leg control. I'm trying to rotate my foot backwards/forwards up to 90 degrees (for a walk animation), without it completely twisting my leg part way, as seen in the webm. The reference project is able to do so just fine, and I've tried to position my bones/weight paint as accurately as I possibly could.

Does anyone know why The leg is distorting/twisting 360 degrees part way through? Note that I'm using IK on the legs.
>>
File: 2021-04-06 13-08-54-1.webm (1.17 MB, 1278x718)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB WEBM
>>816144
In this webm is the reference project leg. Notice that it rotates up to 90 degrees without any needless twisting/glitches.

I can provide the .blend files if needed.
>>
>>816122
GPL requires that software and source code be freely available.
>>
>>816120
You mean Windows 8.1.
>>
>>816144
Looks like you may have some circular dependecies set up, check your parenting and constrains
Other than that I can only think about pole being set up wrong, but don't really know which and where.
It's a really weird and complicated setup for what it does. Why?
>>
>>816147
no it doesn't. licensing your software under the gpl does not in any way prevent you from charging money for it. you should consider actually reading about what the gpl is.
>>
>>816152
>It's a really weird and complicated setup for what it does. Why?
I'm following a blender tutorial on Udemy that set up their character this way. Note that the bones shown in the video are normally hidden (The non-hidden bones are the circle/sphere/square wirefreames).
>>
>>816169
Udemy once again proves to have shit tutorials for blender/modeling
>>
>>816005
Exactly.
>>
>>816146
It's flipping around as soon as your ik knee pole target is behind the line that goes from the start of the IK chain to the end of it.
>>
>>816147
The GPL says that you should receive the source code with the software, not that the source code should be available for free.
>>
File: 1614070715459.jpg (66 KB, 800x600)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Dynamesh vs Multiresolution.

Explain when to use each one.
>>
>>816094
The anon didn't help aside from saying stupid shit just like you fuck boy.

>>816078
So ya you were wrong you mouth breather.
>>
>>816215
>dynamesh
You mean voxel remesh? You use that to join separate meshes, and also somewhat clean up topology for further sculpting.
>multires
Use this for fine details. Remember, multires preserves face sets, but remesh does not. With hi poly meshes you need to hide /everything/ you aren't actively sculpting, since blender doesn't cope with hi poly very well; the quickest way to do this is with face sets which let you hover over a face set and press 'h' to hide everything except that face set.
>>
>>816147
Even if GPL meant what you think it does (which it doesn't), not doing that doesn't make it against the law. It would simply mean they are in violation of the license agreement they have with the owner of the code. Presumably the seller themself is the owner of the code, so this doesn't even apply.
>>
>>816256
Ok I'm officially retarded, the option to preserve face sets is right there in the voxel remesh panel. But you still shouldn't use voxel remesh to make multi-million-poly meshes since you can't just switch off the fine details like you can with multires.
>>
>>815858
I think your mirror modifier is missing for some reason and the res of your screencap is way too small to glean anything from.
>>815932
I don't know how to say this nicely but those are both horrible and you have no clue what you're talking about. Please watch some tutorials or look at some well done models.
>>816059
those some low standards anon
>>
>>816155
As long as the software and the source code are publicly available. Where are they?
>>
Object parenting is real:
https://youtu.be/8GY4m022tgo?t=104

Thank you, Donald Trump!
>>
Animating a single model = 30fps
Add a plane to act as a floor for reference = 10fps

My pc can run games at high performance just fine but not two objects in blender?
How do I optimize?
>>
>>816277
Define "well done" topology.
>>
>>816297
Turn off subsurf dummy
>>
>>816286
nothing of the sort is stipulated in the gpl and if it was it would be unenforceable. you've made it up. again, please educate yourself instead of guessing.
>>
>>816286
GPL only requires customers have access to the code and can do as they please with it. It does NOT obligate the dev to distribute code or binaries to non-customers.
>>
>>816329
Not using Blender is the better solution, dummy.
>>
>>816348
>>816350
Okay.
>>
>>816297
>How do I optimize?
By installing Maya, as it says on the Bible.
>>
i want to get into it to but i'm not sure where to start but how did you get into character modeling? do you use sculpting or traditional modeling
>>
File: unknown.png (85 KB, 650x612)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>815246
meh
>>
File: Capture.png (77 KB, 732x549)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
>>816459
>>
>>816459
>>816470
Damn that brings back some memories. That course got me into 3D so effortlessly I couldn't even believe it myself.
>>
File: file.png (607 KB, 1297x622)
607 KB
607 KB PNG
>>816144
I managed to fix this issue, almost entirely out of chance. For some reason, the twisting was being caused due to the Z position of the foot_roll bone's tail being ever so slightly higher than the head of it. In other words, the bone wasn't completely straight along the Z axis, pointing slightly up instead, which caused the issue in my video.

I don't know why, but once I straightened the foot roll bone out on the z axis as in pic related, the issue went away, and it now behaves as it should, just like the video from >>816146.
>>
>>816471
Good to know. I really want to get better.
>>
>>816300
The opposite of what you posted. Do your own research, jfc. Put the minimal amount of effort in.
>>
>>816483
>I really want to get better.
why do you say this every time you post. you might as well say "good things are nice".
>>
>>816530
>why do you say this every time you post.
cause aside from being paranoid, having both an identity and existential crisis, my life has no meaning.
>>
does blender have a quad draw equivalent yet? its so much more intuitive to just click to place vertices and hover/hotkey to fill them in.
>>
>>816556
polyquilt
>>
File: aaaaaa.png (389 KB, 804x774)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
I added a video with transparency to blender and I wanted to put some lights behind it so it would give it that volumetric lights effect but blender seems to not be taking the transparency of my video in consideration so the shadow it casts is rectangular
That's on Eevee, doing it on Cycles seems to take that transparency in consideration but it really slows down blender and my workflow a lot, anyone have any ideas?
>>
>>816584
add the video directly to a light.
>>
>>816578
How do I make it work with mirror modifier? It seems ignoring it.
>>
>>816602
You either mean edit mirror or you can’t properly set up the mirror modifier
>>
>>816588
sorry anon Im not sure Im following you here
>>
File: wtf.png (45 KB, 866x534)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Can anyone tell me why the hell is the vector blur node option missing. I swear to god I was able to add a vector blur node a couple of days ago. Am I going insane? Pic related.
>>
>>816693
There was never a vector blur.
>>
>>816693
>>816699

Shit, I forgot I wasn't in the compositor. Nvm, I'm fucking retarded.
>>
>>816543
try to enjoy the journey anon. you're just gonna be miserable if you wistfully sigh at everything you do until you are "good". when I was at your stage I was super happy to make a simple little tower or a lego car.
>>
>>816584
In Eevee, change the shadow mode to blended or hashed. It's right below the area you change the blending mode at.
>>
File: dir blur.jpg (179 KB, 2443x1254)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>816693
Never was one.
Here's a node setup that can do (un)directional blur though. Goes after your texture coordinate, and then you add another texture coordinate after the blur as well. One controls the base coordinates, and the other (I think it's the one after), is the one that controls blur direction.

It's based on a noise texture though, but that just means it uses the noise texture for the blur, and turning up the scale increases the "samples".

Pretty sure you can just not state a vector for straight blur too.

In any case, I mainly use this on road textures and stuff to add extra blur to them to make things seem super fast, without piling on with the motion blur in the settings.
>>
File: aaaaaaaa.png (316 KB, 718x753)
316 KB
316 KB PNG
>>816733
oh that was really simple, thanks anon, you're an angel
sorry for the trouble, I'm pretty new to blender
>>
>>816415
I'm doing traditional modeling myself, because I'm more interested in an anime aesthetic and sculpting is overkill for this. For a more detailed, organic style--especially realism--you would typically sculpt.
Of course, even with realistic characters you can simply create a low-poly mesh, use multires to sculpt high-poly details, and then bake the multires normals onto the original low-poly mesh.
>>
>>816740
No worries. It's one of those things that aren't immediately obvious, and it make you question why the devs opted to have the default as opaque instead of something like hashed. I mean yeah, it's a slight performance cost, but you can't even use Eevee without a GPU in the first place iirc.
>>
I like the concept of blender but I suck at using it
>>
>>816602
Do you have the mirror modifier first or last on the modifier chain?
>>
File: sos.png (183 KB, 424x596)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
I've seen some shit.
>>
>>816814
i want to do the anime aesthetic as well so i guess i would have to do traditional modeling and i'm kinda stumped on where to start because i feel as if i'm not worthy enough to learn yet
>>
Blender's undo system is so retarded because of 2 working modes (object, edit). I have to wait a few seconds when undoing operations on a complex object because it keeps going back and forth between object and edit. I don't even know why, when I was in edit mode the entire time.
>>
>>816913
just git gud
>>
>>816943
Blendlets don't have an excuse for it.
Every time it gets brought up, it's being ignored.
Blendlets know they have the shittiest software, but if you don't have a cgp account, what alternative do you have?
Poor blendlets.
>>
>>817011
What's CGP?
>>
File: 1607928284463.jpg (243 KB, 600x704)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
>>817018
>>
>>813544
Can Blender add-ons be pirated? I don't want to pay for SoftWrap but the old alpha on GitHub is predictably fucky
>>
>>817082
Technically no, since all Blender add-ons are required to be GPL and therefore can be distributed freely without legal consequences. Therefore, it isn't piracy.
https://www.blender.org/about/license/
>>
>>817018
A testing ground and spread vector for new Russian viruses.
>>
File: sickleupdate.png (134 KB, 1089x612)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
When texturing do you guys do it in Blender or do you export the UV map and do it in a photo editing tool? I always exported it into gimp and did it that way, but it might not be the most practical thing.
>>
File: a happy sandnigger.png (446 KB, 477x390)
446 KB
446 KB PNG
>>817110
No fucking way, I was certain that sharing add-ons you bought was piracy. Well in that case who's hungry for Retopoflow 3 boiiisss, just tell me how to share it with you people if you're interested
>>
>>817110
I read that earlier this morning and decided against plugin development for blender. I will stick to 3ds instead.
>>
>>817110
Free speech not free beer.
>>
>>817247
Careful, it's not that easy. Derivative code is under GPL, but other kinds of content (such as icons, meshes, etc.) may have limited rights. Even in that case, distributing a stripped-down version with only GPL content is of course legal.
>>
>>817251
"Free speech" as in you can legally distribute GPL code you purchased as you please (as long as you watch out for artwork as >>817256 mentioned, since the GPL allows artwork to be licensed separately.)
>>
>>817082
Many plugins require a kernel or some part of software to work, which doesn't have to be under the license
>>
>>817011
>what'd you do today anon?
>oh, I went to 4chan and posted in threads that I didn't like, told them how stupid they are for liking something I don't like. pretty much did that all day, they were seething so hard
>>
>>817238
If you're texturing something that shitty it really doesn't matter.
>>
>>817238
I do it in substance painter you idiot
>>
File: LowPolyPAWG2.png (245 KB, 948x577)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
Fellas I...
>>
In Maya

Vertex can have only one bone to it with weight value of 100% If you add weight value of 80% with second bone, value of first one will have 20%.

In Blender

Vertex can have two (or more) bones with weight value of 100% on it. Blender effectively treats it as 50/50 weighting.

The way it's made in Blender i find way more inconvenient, i want to do weight paint on one bone and automatically update weights of defriend bones.
>>
>>817322
Wait, you like switching modes on ctrl+z? Sorry then, I thought you were sane.
>>
>>817018

Blinded by Blender
>>
File: 745.webm (399 KB, 900x1080)
399 KB
399 KB WEBM
https://files.catbox.moe/v495mz.webm
>>
>>817419
rohypnol.webm
>>
>>817419
worthless
>>
>>817419
w-where can I find more like this?
>>
>>817390
In weight paint mode, click the Options drop-down and check auto-normalize. You can save this in your blender startup file so that you aren't having to do it all the time.
Dunno why this isn't on by default.
>>
>>817482

Thank you!
>>
>>817267
I'm no lawyer, but the blender market site shows the license the entire plugin as GPL, not just the code. There should be no legal issue in redistributing the entire package you download off that site.
>>
File: Screenshot (199).jpg (1.39 MB, 3440x1440)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
How do I make the pubes(physics) not clip through the dress??
>>
>>817562
>blender
>collision
LOL
>>
File: Capture.png (490 KB, 1919x999)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>817562
new fag that knows fuck all about anything here.
you could parent a plane inside the pants, add a rigid body and hide it
don't know if this is the best way to do it though.
>>
>>817419
is there a point to you silently dumping this shit here
>>
File: fused shadow.png (260 KB, 519x570)
260 KB
260 KB PNG
I'm making a higher fidelity version of this video game character's helmet/crown or whatever. (pic related) Obviously I'm using multiple meshes. The original model is incredibly low poly with nonexistent edge flow and shitloads of tris. Because of this, obviously any notion of detail is done via base texture and normal. My question is, having recreated this with proper topology should I still rely mostly on textures/bump/displacement or should I actually sculpt/poly the details into the mesh?
>>
File: guhnk.jpg (172 KB, 1237x779)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>817645
2/2 mesh comparison, original on right
>>
>>817562
Lattice modifier after the physics one. Keeps the physics, but uses the lattice to keep things in the pants. Might do better with a mesh-deform modifier rather than lattice, since you can have a shapekey on the deforming mesh for when you want things to show normally.
>>
>>817645
Sculpt, then bake it into displacement/normals.
>>
>>817647
I should also mention that you lose a lot of the angularity that was in the original if you're going to subsurf it like that.
Remember that it's stone or something similar. The original doesn't come off as overly low-poly because it uses the fact that it is to its advantage. Something carved out of stone like that would naturally be angular, and come out "low poly" looking.

So yeah, don't go wild with the smoothing, otherwise you'll just make it look like a messy blob.
>>
File: loop fuck up.png (275 KB, 1091x421)
275 KB
275 KB PNG
Anyone know what is going on here, I have a weld modifier going and it looks like the surface is overlapping, and the loop tool seems to be spazzing out?
>>
>>817658
Yep I already know what you're saying. The subsurf isn't actually applied yet. I haven't decided whether I want it to be angular or not. Stone is more smooth than it is jagged like a blade, which the original is due to being so low poly.
>>
>>817642
Probably not, but I certainly appreciate him silently dumping this shit here.
>>
File: Screenshot (199).jpg (1.22 MB, 3026x1079)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
>>817653
When trying to apply''I get a moddifier is disabled. skipping apply''
also can t pick any object
>>
>>817667
Uh, what did it look like before?
>>
File: desk2.gif (3.97 MB, 1000x501)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB GIF
>>817726
bump

And what's the best and or fastest way of fitting clothes onto a body?
the way I do it is quite tedious gif related
>>
>>817928
Shrink-wrap modifier.
>>
File: Screenshot (202).jpg (3.02 MB, 6218x1978)
3.02 MB
3.02 MB JPG
>>817972
Thanks man worked nicely

I have a new issue now
Trying to attach the clothes to the body so that when it is posed the clothes move along with the body

Any other way? I've tried with DataTransfer modifierbut you can see the result in the third screen

in the upper left screen I'm thinking that maybe the top mesh is too convoluted
>>
>>818054
Ahh so annoying
Decide to to put character in rest position
Move skirt to the body use shrinkwrap modifier
add transfer data modifier, apply it then apply armature modifier,
Go into pose mode switch to pose position, skirt stays on the body(yay!), though there are some clippings when posing

Try the same with the fishnet top, doesn't work. Top remains in rest position while body is in the pose position(skirt on)
just why??!
>>
>>818083
I'd check your modifier order on the top first. If that's all in order then double check that it's parented to the rig. Only thing I can think of if neither of those work is to join the two meshes.
>>
Want to get good at animating. Did anyone did that course https://www.bloopanimation.com/blender-animation/#get-started ?
If yes how is it?
>>
>>817719
>OMG PORN A+++
I think maybe /ic/ is more your speed anon.
>>
>>817655
Not who you're replying to but I'd like to learn how to do this, what do I look up to find some information on this? Couldn't find anything through google
>>
File: AbleDaringJaguar.webm (1.49 MB, 1080x1080)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB WEBM
Hi. I am interested in node based workflows for creating generative 2D and 3D art. I have three options: Blender, TouchDesigner, and Houdini.

What is your preferred option? Sorry to post in the Blender thread but there is no general questions thread.
>>
>>818215
I stole this course and it was shit. Just find some tutorial on youtube instead.
>>
>>818297
which one? aren't most tuts going to be worse than that guy?
>>
>>818299
Only if you just type in "blender animation tutorial", if you look for individual methods by name you'll have much better results instead of click farm fodder.
>>
>>818305
>>818299
The fuck are you retards on about, if you can't search "blender animation tutorial" and learn everything you need to be on your way, you are irredeemable and will never make it.
>>
>>818317
anyone can learn that way, the point is to not have to curate every video yourself
>>
>>818143
parented the top to the rig as object, tried it with keep transform both checked and unchecked
didn t work
ctrl+j top and rig
nothing

did all these in Rest Position
>>
>>818359
so these are the steps I've followed https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/67625/how-to-rig-clothes
>>
>>818380
I've got it it , added an armature modifier and it works now
>>
File: Screenshot (207).jpg (1.2 MB, 2996x1242)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>817595
doesn t work :(
>>
>>818265
>Couldn't find anything through google
It's THE basic sculpting workflow.
>sculpt
>retopo
>bake height/normals
It should be part of any tutorial that goes over retopology. Try to find a tutorial that goes over the sculpting and retopology process from start to finish. Baking height info should be a part of it, since otherwise there's no real reason to sculpt in the first place if you're not getting any extra detail from it.

If you're only interested in the baking process, just try looking for high poly to low poly baking. There's tons of info out there.
>>
File: ug.jpg (28 KB, 603x568)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
How do I fix this issue I have where I retopo a mesh add a 1 or 2 subsurf and it has this very subtle "wavy" look. Pic related, you can see the mesh has these soft verticle ridges casting shadows. How do I fix this? I tried smoothing it out in sculpt but even a very low pass fucks the mesh up entirely
>>
>>818575
>It's THE basic sculpting workflow.
Y-yeah... I'm still a noob anon. For whatever reason I've never heard of that part before. But thank you for the info, I'll look into it
>>
>watching a guy make a sword
>makes it in 3 separate meshes, smashes them into each other and joins them all into 1
is this really the proper way to do it? won't it fuck with lighting and stuff having additional geometry inside other meshes and having faces inside of faces if you know what i mean?
>>
File: Captura.png (199 KB, 1538x765)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
>>818651
This looks as if you had vertical loops too close to each other, just as if you had stacked two subdivision modifiers, one as simple subdivision and the other as catmull-clark.

I'd like to see the wireframe before and after subdivision
>>
File: r4qjk68745.jpg (188 KB, 1500x567)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>818837
left is before, right is after
I didn't stack subdivision modifiers, I did word that a bit badly. What I meant was I used a subdivision surface mod with levels set to 1 or 2. It's not just this model either, most retopos I do from sculpts end up having this wavy look and I don't know what I'm doing wrong
>>
>>818653
Nah I emphasized "the" not to be snarky, but just that it's not something special or a niche technique. Like it's hardly a "workflow", it's essentially what you have to do if you want to make a sculpt usable.
It's so basic and integral to the whole mindset of sculpting something "functional" that nearly every beginner tut probably goes over it in some capacity. And with beginner tuts being the low hanging fruit that everyone wants a piece of, there should be a ton of info out there for it.
>>
>>818672
Perfectly fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Only time a problem might arise is if you have 2 faces occupying the same coordinates (z-fighting), and you *might* get issues if you bake normals and stuff depending on your model.
All in all though, it's a valid and often used workflow in games and similar. Smashing together floating geometry is often times cheaper and faster than doing it the "right" way, since you might add a lot of extra geometry trying to make it flow right and stuff.
>>
File: 1599561000971.png (162 KB, 829x741)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>818915
I see a lot of planes that are 2 quads wide. The edge loops going up the middle of each column don't add any detail and are flattening out your subdivided mesh. Try dissolving them in edit mode.
Pic related shows a comparison with and without useless edge loops, the effects become quite clear toward the sides where the horizontal edge loops look bumpy on the left but are much smoother on the right.
>>
>>818944
did what you said and it worked, thanks anon
>>
Someone else can make a new thread this time.
>>
>>819119
this is the last blender thread
thanks for participating, everyone!
>>
i just got this guy cos i wanna finally try sculpting
can anyone share what kind of hotkeys they use on their graphics tablets when they are sculpting with blender?
right now its information overload a bit trying to figure out both blenders ui with sculpting and this tablet, its my first time using one so everything feels quite fresh and uncomfortable

also im a lefty, so setting up my deskspace is a bit more difficult but right now i have the tablet on the far left side, keyboard in the middle and mouse on the right, cos i use mouse right handed
love to hear any tips about how most people navigate using programs with one
this one has the two buttons on the pen and 8 buttons on the pad, plus my mouse has 2 side buttons
at the moment im thinking the best is to put shift, ctrl, alt on my tablet buttons, but really open for anyones settigns that they find well, im surprised i cant find anything online for this kinda optimal setup even though its all personal, just review of the tablet
>>
>>819180
To add to this, im quite familiar with blender in general but its just sculpting i have never really touched on aside from minor adjustments. So regarding setting up hotkeys, im not sure what i will be using a lot when im sculpting. Like, should i set a button for a few different brushes? i suppose i want one for brush size
>>
>>819181
>>819180
I just keep my left hand on the keyboard, i don't use the hotkeys on the tablet itself
>>
>>819182
i see
i suppose i just gotta get used to pressing the keyboard keys with my right hand

love to hear about more setups especially from LEFTIES
>>
>>819177
Well, if no one is gonna make a new thread, might as well spill out onto the other ones.
Go forth my blendlets and prosper.
>>
>>819180
Just map in the actions you use the most on the tablet. For me it was ctrl z, ctrl shift z, ctrl, shift, F, ctrl r (remesh)
>>
File: nowireframes.jpg (173 KB, 1894x1528)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
Why does my wireframe view have no wireframes? Show wireframe and shader settings have no effect in wireframe view, but I can't find any other settings that seem related. Using a file from an older blender version.
>>
>>817735
nvm one vertices was out of place
>>
File: bend issue.png (327 KB, 710x568)
327 KB
327 KB PNG
How exactly am are you supposed to achieve this sort of look without having curved planes forming?
>>
>>819488
>>
>>819488
Those things are low-poly in real life. You should be able to look at it and see what polygons you should be using. Triangles aren't evil anon. Start using them.
>>
Holy SHIT LuxCoreRender is based
>>
File: Capture.jpg (13 KB, 992x290)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
How do I disable this falloff at the edges of a reflection plane?
>>
File: normal problem.png (221 KB, 964x1182)
221 KB
221 KB PNG
I have a sphere with a "panel" of it cut out. I need it to be 100% seamless. How can I make these vertex normals identical without merging the verts?
>>
File: 1598600459544.png (317 KB, 1479x780)
317 KB
317 KB PNG
>>819622
Make a copy of your sphere before cutting out the panel and hide it
Then add a NormalEdit modifier on your sphere and set the source to your hidden sphere (don't forget to enable auto smooth)
Now you can cut and separate your panel and it should keep the same normals as your underlying sphere

The normals gizmos will still look wrong but I think this is just a display issue, they don't take the modifier stack into account. Pic related has a panel cut out and separated from the sphere but you can't see it.

Otherwise you can try to use the Data transfer modifier but I didn't have any success with this method since cutting a hole seems to modify the normals around the hole, but maybe there's a switch somewhere to keep normals intact when doing stuff in edit mode, I don't know.
>>
File: test.png (155 KB, 536x440)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>819499
thx anon, using tris and playing with the vertices seemed to fix the issue
>>
File: ODST.jpg (156 KB, 1600x850)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
Hi, newfag here, any tips for building helmets? I've tried but i just can't get it right, i don't know how to make the more specific details
>>
>>819796
Post your work. Or watch some more hard surface modelling tutorials.
>>
File: Crappy ODST.jpg (2.6 MB, 2552x2476)
2.6 MB
2.6 MB JPG
>>819811
Sorry for shitty pic, I'm stuck when it comes to making the visor and the lines i painted in red
>>
File: Flow.png (368 KB, 836x678)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>813544 (checked)
How do fix this edgeflow? I'm out of Ideas.
>>
>>819739
I'll look into that, thank you, anon.
>>
>>819825
Yeah, I would say start with some topology tutorials. Arrimus has some decent stuff but I think the topology ones are for max. Shouldn't matter too much though. Maybe check the tutorial thread.
>>
Why is liquid simulation so ass?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (189 KB, 1541x1018)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
How do I make water look like water? What settings to use?

Is there a way to make domain cube transparent before bake, but visible after bake? I know you can set it to wire, but then luquid becomes wire too.
>>
>>819855
Alright, thanks anon
>>
>>819453
try alt-z
>>
>>819863
eevee or cycles?

are you in the render preview mode in that pic?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.