[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 30 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: R1050C_altMaskSource.jpg (147 KB, 960x720)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
To stop all the "how do I make 90/psx/ps2 graphics" threads, I make the first /retro/ general.

Post tutorials, links, renders, etc about old 3D.
Someone make a pasta OP for the next thread.

https://www.udemy.com/course/how-to-create-retro-3d-graphics/

Here's a course about making psx graphics with blender, gimp, from the guy that made the PSX demakes of AAA games on godot.
>>
File: op_faggot_police.png (232 KB, 500x553)
232 KB
232 KB PNG
Fuck you autist
>>
File: 1616675088468.jpg (229 KB, 409x500)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
kys
>>
>>812821
Racoon city looked very strange with the way it was laid out.
>>
>>812821
if the retards that start these threads were capable of looking at the catalog, they wouldn't be starting new threads in the first place. your "general" is worthless.
>>
>>812912
While that is prob true at least what Op does here makes sense. Now we can all go "post it in retro general retard" and hide the thread whenever these threads appear.

I'm not interested in making retro graphics at all but there have been interesting discourse from a few knowledgeable anons on the games from my childhood in some of them threads.
Problem with retro is how many lazy hacks are using that as their EWO when wanting to get into game dev, not retro itself.

Let's not flush down the kid with the shower water.
>>
File: R20D04.jpg (26 KB, 640x480)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>812821
>from the guy that made the PSX demakes of AAA games on godot

Fuck this guy- Fuck demakes,,. Make something NEW.

>embarking on a project to ultimately market AAA garbage free of charge Plus tip
VIRGIN
>executing unique ideas conjured from your own skull, separated from consumer motives, driven by a visual style that could express the ideas with power, giving new spin on procedures and workflows of the past
CHAD

Let's get this thread pointed in a more productive direction. For a modern game using sequenced areas of pre-rendered backgrounds, There's got to be a better movement then tank yeah? I know RE remake had the more "modern" control scheme option, but have not tried it myself. I can also imagine a cursor which the player character follows at a slight delay. like a cursor with trails
>>
>>812842
Holy mother of cringe
Imagine being the piece of shit who spams all those threads
>>
>>812821
Good luck OP. Hope this goes on well enough.
>>
File: 1614731035310.gif (1.28 MB, 425x318)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>812821
hope this thread works out
>>
>>813452
pathogen x?
>>
>>813004
>>812842
>>812840

We're trying to save the board here. Don't like retro 3D? Hide the thread and fuck off.
>>
>>812821
is krita a good alternative for gimp?
>>
>>813467
It's good for painting. It's bad for image manipulation.
As retarded as it sounds, Krita has basically zero over all contrast/hue/saturation/whatever curve controls for altering an entire layer/image. "Why?" You ask? Because if it did have this, it would render GIMP completely obsolete, and Krita's devs don't want to step on GIMP's toes for some absolutely fucking retarded reason.
>>
>>813466
save by spamming the same thread over and over? at least get more creative with the topics retard
>>
>>813466
Hey my post >>813004
was in support of you retards GROWING and thinking FORWARD with your brains. This place should hold the cutting edge of revival and has the power and skill to forcefully bend the groupthink-culture pit of the surface-level. I think this thread is good and want the best for all posters on this board

However, I dont think a virgin who lacks skill and talent should be the mascot of ANY sort of productive force
>>
File: vectormathsnap.png (472 KB, 822x1086)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
Let's do it, t/3/apots.
Lets save /3/.

Here, I made an image with a useful tip on it.

Do want to save /3/? Make your own tip images and post them. Together we can enlarge our fucking brains and save this board.
>>
>>813509
based and pixelated
>>
>>813470
>Krita has basically zero over all contrast/hue/saturation/whatever curve controls for altering an entire layer/image
What's wrong with this?
https://docs.krita.org/en/reference_manual/filters/adjust.html#color-adjustment-curves
>>
>>813517
Oh, neat. Looks like they finally got tired of being faggots.

In that case, it likely BTFO's gimp completely. Nobody should ever have to use gimp.
>>
>OP tries to save /3/
>mostly just gets replies from faggots who don't want to help

You people deserve this shitty board.
>>
>>812821
stop advertising for that faggot
>>
File: ninja_23.jpg (232 KB, 640x480)
232 KB
232 KB JPG
>>
Why do people want to do this?
I'm just learning blender and just started looking into /3/ so I'll admit I'm new fagging in a big way here but why is this such a fad? I remember 90's graphics, we all got excited when they improved. Why go out of your way to recreate the limitations of the past? We make things better for a reason, it's like if cooking as a hobby suddenly decided they all wanted to make gruel again. It's current year, make current year graphics.
>>
>>813997
Nintendo DS graphics remind me of long road trips and better days.
Also lower fidelity graphics take less time to render, so I can have more fun faster instead of waiting for a render that's inevitably going to be disappointing.
>>
>>813525
Affinity Photo and Clip Studio Paint exist and go on sale regularly so even without Krita you had decent, cheap alternatives to PS/GIMP.
>>
>>813997
If you're making a game, PS1-style graphics are much easier to make and iterate on - fewer polys, fewer surfacing targets, simpler rigs -, you can use stock resources (like Mixamo) and they won't seem out of place, etc. Also as far as virality/memeability goes: simple, naive designs are easier and more attractive for fan artists to copy and remix. Basically, if you make something that a fan looks at and simultaneously thinks, "Woah that's cool" and "I could make it better," then they're more likely to do so and share with their friends, leading to more widespread awareness of your game. See: Undertale, Homestuck, Among Us, SONIC, etc.
>>
>>813997
Lot of people who lack artistic ability seem to think lowering the bar to that level of early polygon graphics is the easiest option for them.

They hype it because it feels like something attainable for them. They get mad when they look at contemporary graphics because it's not something they can take part in.
Admitting this to themselves would harm their ego so they tell themselves early 3D is imbued with "soul" and other such nonsense.

Thing is back in those days most people thought it looked like garbage compared to the 2D games of the day, but they recognized how cool it was to be able to
navigate environments in 3D so it was still appreciated. Now days that novelty ofc isn't there since just about every game is like that
and going out of your way to make early crappy looking 3D in the present day is just regressive.

One can develop simplified artstyles without resorting to these compromised artstyles that only exist due to the hardware limitations of it's day.
>>
>>814073
>Thing is back in those days most people thought it looked like garbage compared to the 2D games of the day, but they recognized how cool it was to be able to navigate environments in 3D so it was still appreciated.
Lmao this isn't even remotely true. 2D games got run through the ringer for not being 3D.
>>
>>814100
>2D games got run through the ringer for not being 3D.

Only by the corporate shill journalists.
>>
>>814178
No, gamers too. It was a part of the impetus to line up and get the console on release day or as early as possible, because you wanted to play NEW games with the BEST graphics. And of course PC assholes would gloat about having the best-looking games, so when consoles leapfrogged them ever-so-slightly, it was a point of pride (which you wouldn't get from boosting 2D games). 2D only became cool again when indie games started to become big and texture size got large enough that you'd have some really beautiful new releases. Pretty sure Odin's Sphere was a turning point. That was when people realized 2D didn't have to be pixel art, 2D could look like THAT. And with that self-conscious barrier broken people started to reappraise pixel art.
>>
>>814294
> 2D only became cool again when indie games started to become big and texture size got large enough that you'd have some really beautiful new releases.
>Odin Sphere

Uh.....?

Symphony of the Night?
Rayman?
Abe's Oddysee?
Megaman X 4?
Streetfigher Alpha 3?
Guilty Gear?
>>
>>814294
>Odin's Sphere
>some waifu shit

every time
>>
>>814329
>SOTN
Decent 2D saved by its art direction, not its actual execution. Unironically looks comparable to its GBA successors.
>Rayman
You can't tell me you don't remember the hype when Rayman 2 was announced
>Abe's Oddysee
Remembering my palpable disappointment when the cutscenes weren't representative of gameplay (in terms of being 3D)
>MM
"Oh wow cool another Megaman game."
>SF and GG
I did hear people praising their graphics back in the day, but I also remember the unadulterated hype when each series finally went legit 2.5D

I'm not saying 2D games haven't maintained quality over the years. I'm saying that there was a period, roughly from the Dreamcast's release through really nice-looking 2D games (and specifically Vanillaware titles) coming out on the PS2/PS3, where 3D and especially realism carried a cachet premium. Remember that this was also the time period where you'd get big-budget 3D titles with crappy derivative GBA "ports", and that was what people thought of when comparing 2D to 3D games. Platformers in particular were heavily penalized for being side-scrollers. The only consistent exception was fighters, and that was partly because 2D fighters were always going to be more tight technically, and able to use high-quality assets due to the relative simplicity of their design.
>>
>>814335
Didn't even play it. I just remember everyone I know who did raving about how good it looked.
>>
File: moving goalposts.jpg (95 KB, 945x526)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>814073
never more obvious than that

>uhh is it just me or do AAA games look bad?

thread where when objectively flawless examples were posted the replies became

>yeah well they wasted their time and shouldn't have bothered

the ngmis will always cut down that which they can't do instead of aspiring to achieve that excellence themselves.
>>
File: asawqwqw.jpg (93 KB, 499x512)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>814073
>Admitting this to themselves would harm their ego

I'm under no illusion about my talents in 3d, I am terrible at it. My background is in 2d and making something even remotely nice after modeling is a slog of UV unwraps, shaders, bones, wieghtmaps, IK setups and animation. 3d is a team sport. The ease of making retro 3d as a hobby is a joy. And attainable for lone artists to make content in a reasonable amount of time. Sorry if that upsets you z-brush coastal elites
>>
>>814358
if you don't get mad at modern graphics then that post isn't about you
>>
>>814073
>Thing is back in those days most people thought it looked like garbage compared to the 2D games of the day
Said no one ever lol
>>
>>814073
>>814394
>Although not very successful during its release in North America and Europe (only 60 thousand copies sold in each continent), Symphony of the Night HAS BECOME highly sought-after by video game players and is widely considered to be one of the best and a milestone of the series.
https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Castlevania:_Symphony_of_the_Night
>>
>>814394
I've certainly heard that sentiment amongst scores of people growing up, common complaint was that it looked blocky
and many people expressed a preference towards sprites over full 3D for characters and such in the 90's 3D games.
>>
>>814397
As an artist myself during that era I found 3D graphics in videogames crude and uninteresting and focused on offline rendering.
For me realtime 3D came of age artistically with the advent of pixelshaders and the normalmap, which is what allowed videogame artists
to express themselves pretty much as they wanted rather than how the tech dictated.

That's also the point I took notice and decided I rather work realtime than CGI.

By the since ~2007 forward we've also had sufficient polycounts to no longer be held back by what kind out outlines our models allow for.
Given this total freedom to create whatever we want and have it run great it on most machines it's a bit sad to see how many
indies seem to settle for reproducing the naive instead of pushing their own boundaries.
>>
>>814338
>You can't tell me you don't remember the hype when Rayman 2 was announced

I also remember the instant disappointment the second we saw it in action.
>>
>>814397
I have never heard this ever. The only person at the time I knew who was still playing 2D games was the trailer park kid who inherited everyone's discarded NES/SNES' by pulling them out of the trash, and even he would still go over to other people's houses to play their N64. You either could barely even see the blockyness on a consumer CRT anyways running 240p, mayybbeee 480i with shit in the mix like coaxial cables and chromatic aberration. There's a reason OOT is remembered as one of the greatest games of all time and SOTN flopped. I doubt you grew up during that gen at all, honestly.
>>
>>814454
>There's a reason OOT is remembered as one of the greatest games of all time

Yeah, it's because nintendrones had about 6 games worth playing on the whole system rofl
>>
>>814456
Its a 23 year old console. Get a life you sad old man.
>>
>>815146
>23 years and nintendrones still salty that they got the wrong console for christmas
>>
>>815196
>Implying I'm old and decrepit enough to have had an N64
Ok boomer.
>>
>>815588
>zoomers on 4chan

I'll never understand why your generation comes to this site.
>>
>>815592
Because I can't call people niggers or criticize trannies anywhere else anymore.
>>
>>815595
Guess you're not as a big a faggot as I thought. Welcome aboard, kid.
>>
>>812821
we need to find and organize all of the information that a few helpful t/3/apots gave in the threads that led up to the creation of this general
>>
>>813509
i actually got in trouble in 1996 for saying things like that
>>
>>815946
What?
>>
File: chavezmilitar_pa.png (16 KB, 800x584)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
I bought pixelover.

It's literally perfect to make old retro textures with that GIF compression and dithering.
>>
Udemy? Naw son Angelfire
https://www.angelfire.com/wizard/gandalf27/jaw2.html
>>
>>816399
Why? It literally take 30 seconds to do with free software.
>>
>>816562
It's interactive and takes 5 seconds to do it on pixelover.

It's much much cumbersome to do it with photoshop.
>>
>>816280
He was asking out his first crush
>>
>>816656
underrated post
>>
>>813509
I still say all of those things without getting in trouble
>>
if i apply low resolution textures to medium-high poly models will it obviously look "wrong" (like having overly detailed lighting) or will it probably look fine, just being inefficient?
>>
>>817084
it doesn't count when there's nobody else in the room anon
>>
i know this is just a containment thread for that one schizo, but i do have a question:
what program do i use to paint ~128x128 textures onto low-poly-models? i own substance painter 2 (latest version before they went subscription-mode), but it doesn't have a color palette that you could create, save and pick from and it also doesn't allow you to turn off filtering completely.
i don't require a lot of features and i wouldn't mind switching back-and-forth to substance painter to add procedural layers and mix everything there - color palettes (so the textures stay consistent across assets), painting in actual 3D, no texture filtering, common export formats

is 3D coat superior to substance painter in that regard?
>>
>>818042
My weenus peenus
>>
>>818042
https://deakcor.itch.io/pixelover
>>
>>818134
>the same anon shilling this hipster trash again

Just pirate photoshop.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.