[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 117 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Ask questions that don't deserve their own thread itt
>>
I heard from a 3d artist that 3d coommissions get a better pay than 2d coom, can anyone confirm this?
>>
>>811351
is 3ds max dying?
>>
>>811364
>>811380

yes.
>>
As a size fag using Linux, is Blender worth learning? I'd love to learn to create size coomer material but most of the 3D stuff I own is made with DAZ. I'm wondering if Blender can be used to produce good quality stuff.
>>
>>811409
Of course. How do you think assets for DAZ are created? With software like Blender or Maya.
>>
File: eye-roll.jpg (10 KB, 250x250)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>811380
>>811395
>>
Why is the workflow for making a 3D character so annoying? How come there's no way to speed it up? I saw our teacher, with 15 years in Maya, take almost 2 hours to spit out a complete 3D model. No rigging done. I guess a smart pro can do it around 30 mins with subpar topology? That's still fucking long.
>>
>>811459
What. Did you expect a fully rigged model sculpted from zero to be done in less than 2 hours? Get fucked, zoomer
>>
>>811459
Wtf dude? 2 hours is stupid fast, I assume he just made a very simple low poly or just a quick Zbrush high poly sculpt. Creating a proper AAA fully rigged character takes dozens of hours.
>>
>>811459
3d is very time consuming alas
>>
File: blender_irVXYxAyfm.png (978 KB, 1920x1027)
978 KB
978 KB PNG
I'm trying to bake a ripple effect normal map to use in a shitty game engine... how do i bake multiple frames?? so far im doing manually, but it would be great to bake all 60 frames instead of 1 and then moving to the next frame.
>>
How to rig a wagon / carriage / trailer in Blender so it follows the vehicle and properly rotates? I can find exactly 0 tutorials on it, which is quite surprising.
>>
>>811518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWaARrOiyE
This should work great, I used this method for my project as well.
>>
>>811550
There is nothing about baking in that video.
>>
>>811553
... You really need to be spoonfed, don't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5f-5R8AriI&t=357s
>>
>>811556
>... You really need to be spoonfed, don't you?

His question was 'how do I bake multiple frames' not 'how do I make a normal map'.

And wow, the solution is 'point a camera at a plane with your texture on it and render animation.

The absolute fucking state of blender.
>>
>>811560
I thought it was about animating the ripples, because the baking process is exactly the same. You literally just render an image sequence instead of a single image.
>>
>>811351
I can't rip this edge even tho it's selected...how do i resolve that
>>
>>811564
I would like to avoid using camera and lights for such things as baking textures.

>>811575
you mean dissolve? or separate?
>>
>>811612
But that's how it is done, and you don't need lights, you just use a normal matcap. Good luck then.
>>
>>811612
YES
>>
File: 348-1.webm (1.04 MB, 1920x1016)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB WEBM
I can't figure out why this is merging even though I have merging turned off in the mirror modifier.
>>
>>811632
increase the size of your model
>>
File: 349.png (262 KB, 842x901)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>811633
Thanks. Is it just floating point precision, or something else?
>>
>>811634
you're welcome
>>
File: 1606498675374.png (7 KB, 822x995)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
Is drawing harder than 3D?
Also, is /ic/ more toxic than /3/?
>>
>>811752
>Is drawing harder than 3D?
no
>toxic
go to plebbit if you can't take it
>>
>>811756
too many women and minorities
>>
File: hl2_KCyxvlmVGB.jpg (455 KB, 1920x1080)
455 KB
455 KB JPG
>>811625
I guess that was the only thing i could do, thanks..
>>
What the best youtube channel to learn how to zbrush?

Im 3d printing
>>
File: file.png (911 KB, 818x958)
911 KB
911 KB PNG
>>811351
How do I achieve [pic related] color and shading style?
Is this done with Beer/Malt?
>>
>>811756
haha idiots likes to shout louder than they actually know
>>
why r 4channers mostly idiotic self centered schizoid pyschologist wannabe
>>
File: groomboy.jpg (57 KB, 640x316)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
how do I make hair like this in maya with xgen? I also made a thread :)
>>
>>811843
eevee, use emissive shaders
your textures should use gradients entirely
>>
Does anyone know about an issue with Windows10 where the middle click on a wacom pen isnt working? I have been trying to solve this for weeks now, but nothing works. everything works fine under Linux.
>>
File: awdwdawd.jpg (1.47 MB, 3757x2160)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
is it possible to sew this frankenstein in a few clicks? if so, how?
>>
very new to blender. is there an easy way to connect all these edges? this is the bottom of something im trying to 3d print. this was originally an svg that i converted to a mesh and extruded.
>>
>>811924
Not without the original model, no.
This is a morph target for UV mapping (did a few myself back in the day) but nowadays that´s useless thanks to Zbrush.
Where did you steal that from, kid?
>>
>>811939
>Where did you steal that from, kid?
it's imported from DAZ
>>
>>811548
Find a car animation tutorial and just change the wheels to wagon wheels.
>>
Dumb blender question, what type of mesh deformation modifier/constraint whatsit would i need if im trying to push two mesh together, but as they interact, one mesh has its verticies slide away from the other mesh enveloping it

Yes im making a vagina just please tell me how to make a vagina interact with a cock
>>
File: Thumbs_up.jpg (12 KB, 300x300)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>811939
>morph target for UV mapping
Wow, I used that extensively in the days before good unwrapping, going back even to the mid 90s. While working at Zoic Studios we unwrapped almost all ships for Firefly this way(unwelding at the edges, unfolding and flattening them into flat morph targets).
The bulk of that job was Lightwave plus Houdini(for particles and dynamics) and Autodesk Inferno for compositing.
>>
I just bought a 3D printer and printed out the first cat model it comes with and then also a Mayan death whistle I downloaded off of Thingiverse.

How do I start making money with my 3D printer?
>>
>>811998
If it where me, I would just make the vagina open with shape keys, animate them with the dick going in then out and then loop it.
>>
>>812001
That's actually kind of innovative, I wish I had thought about unwrapping that way 20 years ago in 3d studio max. That still sounds like hell to me, but it would have been a cool way to unwrap inside the 3d viewport.
>>
>>812001
>Firefly
Man that was a pretty cool show, too bad it didn't last more.
>>
>>811935
I figured it out
>>
>>812089
nice

btw you could have used blinds, you know
>>
>>812089
What's the material of the yellow part? Is it reflective? Looks cool. I know nothing about 3d printing though.
>>
File: asfghj.jpg (710 KB, 1744x1193)
710 KB
710 KB JPG
Tips for preventing focal length distortion ? my planet looks like an egg but I don't like how the terrain looks with other FL value. Somewhere I read I'll have to use composition but I'm not sure what to do with it
>>
>>812218
>preventing focal length distortion
by using large focal lengths?
>>
>>812222
*adjusts lens*
check'd
>>
>>812222
I don't like how it looks with a higher value, it has to be 26mm or I don't cover the areas I want
>>
>>812230
Pull the camera back. That's what you do IRL.
>>
>>812089
What printer?
Good old Filament switcharoo or actual multicolor?
>>
File: Screenshot_446.jpg (511 KB, 607x843)
511 KB
511 KB JPG
Will it be comfortable to do rigging with such amount of polygons?
>>
>>812245
You definitely have enough points for a face rig
>>
File: file.png (57 KB, 878x744)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
is there any downsides to mixing soft and hard edges? It seems very useful but Ive never heard anyone talk about it (but im also new)
>>
>>812245
Yeah, if you find your geometry is too dense you just create a proxyrig and use that one to assign weights to the full via wrapping.

Anything can be skinned to bones with about the similar level of ease if needed, up to multiple million poly sculpts as used in the movies.
>>
guys how do I animate a shit sliding out of an asshole with the correct weight, timing
please I just want a software to do it all automatically
>>
File: d.jpg (181 KB, 2164x1250)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
why is my paint not displaying?
>>
As a board, do we like trannies?
>>
>>812288

we dont really have the moral high ground to start making judgements
>>
>>812328
yes we do.
trannies and jannies deserve a fate worse than death.
>>
>>812288
I'd really prefer they stay in /g and /pol
>>
>>812288
I would prefer if you go post somewhere else
>>
>>812288
No, go and be mentally ill somewhere else.
>>
>>812251
can get messy when importing exporting
>>812288
we don't want them here
>>812245
is okay
>>
But... how? How do you even accomplish those polygon numbers with that seemingly simple model?
>>
>>812376
Wasteful topology
>>
>>812376
the anime one has a shader that does the outline based on actual geometry so it needs a geometrically complex smooth model to work.

Solid Snake is a multimillion polygon sculpture baked into normalmaps onto a pretty crude model, esp his ear is obv and very boxy. 14K is PS3 era and if MGS 4 was made for todays spec the player model would've easily be 100K+
>>
File: araRAGE_maincameraHD.png (2.41 MB, 1920x1080)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB PNG
thoughts? also how do I make a proper sidewalk? mine always looks like is fake.
>>
>>812406
also, lighting is not final, this is just a quick render so the white spots/noise will be gone by the time I finish.
>>
>>812251
Shade smooth then turn on hard normals, i always use this, soft i use only for collision.
>>
>>812426
>soft i use only for collision.
could you elaborate?
>>
is there any GOOD way of unwrapping a long, thin object? seems like a waste of UV space no matter what i do
>>
File: meh.jpg (291 KB, 1004x820)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
here I made lowpoly retop in Maya, on the render it will be with subdiv but as you see with subdiv on, lowpoly mesh does not correctly repeat shape of hipoly ( obviously ). Tried to do ShrinkWrap lowpoly retop on hipoly while lowpoly has subdiv on, but it seems that ShrinkWrap does not see subdiv polygons. Is the most correct way here is to make duplicate of lowpoly, smooth it 2 times, ShrinkWrap it to hipoly and and use original lowpoly as proxy for skinning? Will proxy thing do well with joints+blendshape rig?
>>
whats the easy cheat to get this bone to wrap around the bezier circle the same way the bottom part does, or get it to duplicate with the bottom parts modifiers
for the part i just used array modifier + a curve modifier
>>
>>812529
Collision mesh can only have one smoothing group, because its pointless to have more than one, as collision has the information of edges and vetex only.
>>
>>812619
add curve modifier, select curve in question
>>
File: m.jpg (47 KB, 766x406)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
Would this machine lead to speedy renders (under 5 minutes) for a guy working with daz and exploring asset creation in blender and Zbrush?
>>
>>812807
>DAZ
>Speedy
Nope, since the Iray implementation in DAZ is deliberately kept slow.

For anything else; yes.
>>
>>812812
>deliberately kept slow.
Source?
>>
>>812815
It's a fact. Iray for Maya is magnitudes faster.
>>
>>812820
Yeah, but I wouldn't say it's deliberate. Just a bad implementation.
>>
>>812825
I was speculated that it's deliberate. After all it's free in DAZ. Free but utterly useless because of the speed.
>>
>>812748
>>
File: american arists.jpg (43 KB, 1280x339)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>811351
>>
In a game company, what is better: Blender or 3dsmax? (forget maya and others for this question)
>>
>>812902
Blender is free so the obvious answer is both.
>>
>>812871
Never have heard of any of them.
>>
>>812953
Google American Inventors then.
>>
>>812978
That's a lot of black people. And I didn't know Graham Bell was black either.
>>
>>811634
>Is it just floating point precision
Not an expert in Blender's code, but I suspect that this is most likely the case, especially if it was solved by making the model bigger. One day, in the distant future we will have an int64_t modelling and rendering software package.
>>
>>812871
Never realized how short Pollock's life was. Dang. Never heard of Basquiat, but 28 years is sad.
>>
>>811364
No. Typical grass is always greener. If you ask this question you are probably a shitter at 3d or 2d or both.
>>
File: Circles.png (15 KB, 1024x1024)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
How can I recreate this pattern using Blender's node editor?
An example node tree would be appreciated but certainly not required.
>>
>>812995
Er, I guess I should've used the word procedurally.
>>
>>812995
you make 1 circle then you tile it,then you copy that 1 more time and rotate it by 45d
>>
>>811752
>Is drawing harder than 3D?
Depends entirely on what you want to do related to it.
2D Animations? Gonna have to re-draw pretty much every single thing over and over again for each frame, or use some sort of 2D rigging program which ends up making your animation look robotic and not fluid at all. Also in that case you need to learn how to draw from different perspectives as well.
Just static images? Might be worth learning it, at least maybe the fundamentals because in that case you could draw yourself a reference sheet for something that you can then use to 3D model after.
>>
any of you used render farms for anything so far?
what's your opinion on them?
>>
>>811752
drawing and 3d are as hard as you want them to be, it all depends on how good you wanna get.

The main difference is drawing is a very linear progression of skills while 3d (as a beginner) has many vertical cliffs you need to get past to be able to continue, UV will make no sense to you, topology will make no sense etc. After you get those basics down (You can know almost every technical thing you need to in well under a year) it becomes like drawing where progress is slow, steady, linear and mostly about refining.

The start is definitely rougher though simply due to the technical requirements.
>>
Whats the best/easiest software to make posable characters?
>>
>>813147
Maya.
>>
File: 1598167448634.jpg (134 KB, 422x437)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
Can a based blenderfag answer why subdivision surface is unusable in edit mode? The performance it so atrocious at 2 subdivision levels with a relatively simple object that I have to set it to 0 to be able to edit the mesh. It used to work fine in 2.79.
>>
File: file.png (3 KB, 255x49)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>813323
don't use it in edit mode
turn it off here
>>
>>813412
lol
Just use Maya, 3ds Max, or Modo. No performance issues, especially with the first two.
>>
>>813420
I don't see why you'd want it on while editing
in max it's off while moving the verts turns back on when you release them, this does the same
>>
>>813421
>I don't see why you'd want it on while editing
I care about the subdivided shape, not the cage's.
>>
During modeling a body, what is the better choice? Model the torso with the shoulders, or model the shoulders alongside the arms, modularly?
>>
>>813412
Alright thanks for answering. I'm still dumbfounded as to why it used to be usable in edit mode in 2.79 though. I've read it's because they haven't implemented it properly in 2.8 and onwards and blah blah but it's already 2.9 and it's still the same. It's just kind of weird to gloss over such an important feature.
>>
Maya/3D Coat for UV Mapping?
Marmorset/ZBrush/Substance Painter for Baking?
>>
>>813560

Gideon, no!
>>
In blender is there a way to copy all vertices, edges and faces then paste them into another mesh (not copying animation, modifier, etc. data)?

What I have right now is an old mesh that I appended from a file I worked on years ago. Something is wrong with it where blender does not recgonize it as a mesh, so I can't join it with other meshes. When I try duplicated the mesh and seperating the duplication, it has the same problems as the original.
>>
>>813621
Try exporting it as obj, no modifiers applied
>>
>>813625
that didn't work, unfortunately.
It looks like blender doesn't recognize the object properly and doesn't know how to handle it (even though I can still edit the mesh).
Is there a way to forcefully change how blender recognizes the object? Or at least see what it thinks the object is? I don't think it sees it as a mesh, because when I try joining with it I get a "active object is not selected mesh" error
>>
File: motivational jew actor.png (242 KB, 860x1254)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
i have a question:
how do i just fucking do it instead of procrastinating?
>>
>>813628
Can you use an older Blender version?
>>
File: torso.png (491 KB, 1920x1017)
491 KB
491 KB PNG
I'm stuck trying to make a female torso and the chest won't mirror right any tips on how to fix this
>>
I'm trying to make topology for a face that can both open its mouth wide and puff its cheeks, kinda like Kirby or Jigglypuff. It's pretty hard, and I can't find any wireframes of these characters that have said functionality to them. Anyone got the official models or pictures of their wireframes so I can see how they did it?
>>
>>813642
That will probably work. The model didn't have a lot of vertices, so I was able to hand copy it without much time.
Thanks for the export as obj idea, thats what I'll have to do in the future once i find a version that works.
>>
>>813641
You do very little work per time to avoid scaring you pussy brain
>>
>>813641
Think about what you should not do instead of what you want to do.
>>
how do i import a 2nd character ? none of the "import" options are able to select it and if i simply open, it makes a new window
>>
>>812230
Use optical compensation or a 35mm lens and step back
>>
>>813737
Would be helpfull if you said what app.
>>
>>813674
your picture is asymmetric
>>
>>813749
thanks I been stuck for a while on this
>>
File: 69f0e91eb3[1].png (484 KB, 1920x1017)
484 KB
484 KB PNG
Blender is making me want to kill myself.

All I want to do is subtract this cylinder from this model that I imported from an stl file. I have it saved right before the fucking boolean difference, but as soon as I click on the object to do the intersection, the entire program comes to a crashing halt. Doesn't max out memory, just fucking stops responding.

I just want to make this mask not fuck up my nose so badly. Is that so much to ask?
>>
>>813768
Crashing on so few polygons, your computer is from fucking 2005?
>>
>>813774
Apparently it didn't crash, just took about 10 fucking minutes to complete. I have 64 gigs of ram. Blender is a butthole.
>>
>>813778
>Apparently it didn't crash, just took about 10 fucking minutes to complete.
Kek, you have seen nothing yet.
>>
>>813768
pirate zbrush.

Live boolean in zbrush is the most responsive booleans in any software.
>>
>>811924
>UV Selection
>Marquee select the area
>Create UV Shell
>????????
>Profit
>>
I can't into modeling anything remotely human so I downloaded a human model. It's totally fine and everything, but I have two questions regarding it.
First of all, it's naked. How would I go about putting clothes on it? The clothes I can do easy enough, I'm just not sure how I would go about actually "dressing" the model.
Secondly, it's in a fixed positions and has no kind of rigging to it. I don't do animation and I don't intend to animate the model itself, I just want to reposition certain limbs and things. How easy will this be to do and how do I go about doing it?
>>
How do i make a shape exact dimensions in blender? Im trying to model a house and making a 10m exact wall is harder than i thought (coming from using hammer)
>>
>>813809
One way that works everywhere is to make a unit cube, scale it along each axis to the right dimension, and then freeze its transform.
>>
>>813809
For a whole object: you can use the side panel (N key) and set the dimensions directly in the item tab.
Not sure the best way to do it for editing within an object, but you can set the postions of vertices in the N panel as well so I guess you could set one end's position and then set the other end to be 10m away from it?
>>
>>811351
>>but who is Octane?
>>
>>813831
>>813830
is there really no easy grid like hammer where everything just snaps?
>>
File: file.png (258 KB, 1526x1001)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>813859
>>813830
>>813831
I say that because this seems to be the issue im having
>>
>>813859
You can activate snapping to the grid, so when you scale and shit you get that.
>>
>>813863
ok, also whats with scaling being from the center point, so i have to half all my measurements?
>>
>>813864
That's the default. You can edit the pivot and snap it to the border of the mesh you want to align.
>>
>>813864
You could scale from active element, and select the face you want to remain static as you scale away, or you could place one edge of a wall, then extrude to desired length. You could also scale from cursor, and place the cursor where you want to scale from.
>>
>>813804
>I just want to reposition certain limbs and things.
might as well rig it
>How would I go about putting clothes on it?
marvelous designer or model the clothing.
>>
>>813862

take a plane put the corner in the center of the coordinate system give it the dimensions of the rooms outer walls select the face inset delete the inner face extrude the walls to the right height.

stuff like that is quicker in CAD or solidworks.
>>
>>813917
>might as well rig it
I thought that might end up being the case.
>marvelous designer
I think that seems the easier option desu.
Thanks fren.
>>
>>813737
if it's blender and you want a model from another blend file use append.
>>
>>813936
>stuff like that is quicker in CAD or solidworks.
yeah but i dont have them. i used to use sketchup but they went full **** and now the program barely runs.
>>
>>814043
>yeah but i dont have them.
try piratebay
>>
>>814044
you may pirate software, but id rather not
>>
>>811380
It has been dying since 2009

Autodesk is only interested in CAD and industrial 3d, maya is the only non-industrial thing they halfway support

Everything else has been neglected for years
>>
>>811459
Maya isnt ideal for modeling, 3dsmax or blender would be better choices

But besides of that, 3d is time consuming, there is no short way
>>
>>814035
Or just open blender twice and copypaste it from one window to another
>>
File: tree.png (626 KB, 1107x739)
626 KB
626 KB PNG
>>811351
I'm trying to make an open-world game
How do I know what level of detail should I make my game in order to make it tolerable for modern hardware?

P.S. pic related: My first attempt at making a tree
>>
>>814675
Honestly you won't pull off AAA quality so I say make with a mobile quality from the start, maybe it'll pay off when you release it on more than 1 platform.
>>
File: 3124235346457.png (3.52 MB, 1920x1080)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB PNG
I've played so many coomer games that they've just become too repetitive and I'm honestly getting tired of them so I decided to start developing my own to fulfil my own niche scenarios, especially as a learning tool for python. Where do I get started with this shit? I know I need Ren'Py but there's so many options and conflicting information on getting started with developing 3D vidya. I installed Daz3D but apparently it's not meant for sculpting 3d models and only for rendering. Then I look at the threads in here and there's a lot of options to choose. So which tools should I install to get started? I'm not in any rush since I'm not doing this for money but I would like to use tools that won't bite me in the ass later because of copyright or some shit.
>>
>>814687
If you're serious about 3d, make a VR game. If not - fuck off, you can make a text-based game without using any graphics. Seems like you're already proficient at spewing a lot of text that has no value.
>>
>>814688
>VR game
I would, but I don't have the right equipment for it.
>without using any graphics
How am I supposed to coom?
>proficient at spewing a lot of text that has no value
I did some commissions and written essays.
>>
>>814687
>no clamps on the weights
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (44 KB, 480x360)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>814691
>>
>>814675
the best looking way is to handcraft different lods for everything.
you can try out automatic methods.
>>
WHY AREN'T MY ASSETS CASTING SHADOWS...
>>
I need a hobby. Hit 30, career is in a comfortable spot, and now I have free time for the first time in decades.
Are there any resources you guys would recommend for someone in an unrelated field to start learning the ropes to 2d and 3d modelling?
I reckon creating cute, healing, shit might help stave off existential dread.
>>
>>814916
You probably turned shadows off.
>>
I've just watched a beginner tutorial on animating, and the guy starts blocking poses on contiguous frames, only adding inbetweens with each, more detailed blocking pass. Some time ago I watched a different tutorial, and the guy blocked the poses at their expected occurrence in the timeline. Which way is more common among experienced animators?
>>
>>814925
Make lovey dovey porn.
>>
Where is a good place to go to hire someone to make some realistic 3d characters?
>>
>>815057
ArtStation. Find somebody whose style you like, and make an offer.
>>
File: Screenshot_13.jpg (121 KB, 1681x565)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
Are normals supposed to look like in the middle example after normal transfer (from the mesh on the right)? They are pretty dark and when I get them into Unreal, they get even darker. I'm actually getting better results not doing anything to normals (left example). But I always hear you should do this to game-ready foliage with normals. However I never noticed an improvement when doing it.
>>
What's a good place to get specific vegetation textures? Need some stuff to make a cherry blossom tree and I don't live in Japan.
>>
>>811351
Is it possible to bake shader property -> displacement animations to vertex animation?
>>
>>815222
>Are normals supposed to look like in the middle example after normal transfer (from the mesh on the right)?
Clearly, no.
>>
>>815308
Thx for a helpful reply
>>
>>815273
Megascans
>>
>>813836
has octane become uncrackable?
just like xparticles?
>>
>>815362
Octane for most of its existence was and is un-cracked.
It's not uncrackable, but very secure due to its encryption and server connection, and no hacker wants to waste time with it.
Don't expect to see a cracked version of it. Be thankful that there is a free Blender and UE4 version.
>>
>>814687
>Ren'Py
If you want to make a coom game that isn’t just another one of the same, avoid this crap. It’s only capable of producing shitty visual novels with prerendered backgrounds and 10 frame animation loops.
It baffles me there are no good interactive sex games. Girlvania was a step in the right direction, but so far nobody seems to bother exploring that further.
>>
>>811351
Whats the dumbest, most bare bones 3D program? Like the Microsoft Paint of 3D.
>>
File: 1532309976510.jpg (87 KB, 619x643)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
What're some good books/resources for studying low poly topology? I keep just going at shit blind and I'm not sure exactly how to plan any of them out.
>>
I have a ripped complex car model from a game that I want to model myself. How do I know where to start? I’m re-modelling it because it’s all tris and I want better and cleaner surfaces with quad topology. I’m just really lost and I don’t know where to start.
>>
When you bake a normal map using xnormal/substance painter....

And let's say you have a fully sculpted 3D mesh with submeshes.

Will the body mesh receive normal map baking from the sculpt body mesh, even if it's overlapped with let's say an armor sculpt?

If so, do I need to bake every part of the model independly?
>>
>>815518
>do I need to bake every part of the model independly?

Yes. Ideally you want to separate (explode) all mesh parts while baking so you don't get baking errors because the rays going from the outside towards the low poly hit something else blocking their path and that creates dark fucked up areas.

You don't really need to separate every piece though, you can also just properly name them with "_low" and "_high" suffixes so the baker can recognize hp and lp pairs and bake each pair separately. Look at some substance painter baking tutorials.

So you'd have a "body_low" and "body_high", and then "armor_low" and "armor_high" and these pairs will bake without errors. Otherwise if you have an armor mesh on top of the body mesh, the rays won't be able to hit the body because the armor will be blocking them.
>>
>>815526
thanks.
>>
>>815504
I'm on the same page but at least I kind of did a few tried tricks:
- make sure the important part got more texel density
- floaters are ok
- make the texture by photobashing + balancing, then stencil paint it in blender.
- paint the shadow and highlight a bit using multiply and screen mode brush/layer
>>
>>811351
newfag here is there any way I can use an .ms script in anything other than 3dsmax? I'm not paying an exorbitant amount just to rip old Resistance 2 models and I can't find any working trustworthy torrents.
>>
If I get told I should have a 10.24 texel density for a prop, how to know which texture size it should use? Because it depends on a texture size, right?

Another thing is that even if I use 4k, I would still need to mirror a majority of a prop to reach that texel density goal. I don't get it how this will work in the future where even higher resolutions will be required. I literally have to mirror my prop like 8 times in every direction if I want to reach a proper texel density with a 2k map, and the unwrap is clean as fuck as it is even a super simple prop. That doesn't make sense to me, I can't put any kind of unique detail to it now without it being obvious it is repeated. At that point one might as well just use generic trims for everything and add details through masks, just like for large buildings.
>>
>>815655
>If I get told I should have a 10.24 texel density for a prop
You must ask what unit the texel density is relative to: centimeters, meters, etc.? Say you need 10.24 texels per meter: you give that many pixels in your texture per unit meter on the mesh.

Texel density makes more sense in relation to screen size. If a mesh that measures one meter will appear on screen in such a way that it covers at most 10 pixels, then 10.24 texels/meter is fine. If it could cover 20, you should use double density, etc.

More about this here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qbOqP

I'm not sure I follow the rest of your post. If you have to adjust texel density, you just scale the UV islands accordingly. There are tools for this, built-in or not depending on DCC. If you need to have more texel density, and don't want pixelated textures, then of course you have to re-author them at higher detail. If you're using procedural texturing, and your textures are too repetitive, look into ways of reducing that by overlapping textures at different tiling sizes and orientations (there's a name for the technique but I can't remember it now).
>>
>>815664
So, the goal is apparently 1k per 1m. That should be 10.24px/cm or 1024px/m, however you want to write it. But that depends on a texture size, right? I'm using a texel density checker and currently I can only get a bit under that texel density with a 4k texture. If I calculate my current texel density with a 2k texture, I will get around 5.12px/cm etc. I'm assuming that in 2021 everything is authored in 4k (at least it was from my previous experiences), so I guess that texel density is automatically assumed to be for a 4k texture, right? They always just say "this resolution per these dimensions", but never mention the texture resolution itself.

And in the second part of my post I'm trying to say that for more complex props with more UV islands, it seems to me it is very hard to pack everything in 0-1 with these resolutions. Even with my current simple prop, at a 4k resolution, if I let the Texel density checker tool pack the islands at 10.24px/cm, they already start spilling a bit over the 0-1, so I need to scale it down.

With more complex props I would in that case have to mirror a lot of things, and that creates a problem if I want some unique detail on one side of a prop, for example. And the more details the prop has, the more islands it will create, and it will be even harder to keep that texel density, IF only 1 material per prop is allowed, ofc.

So I'm just not sure if I'm getting this correctly, I went through every texel density tutorial there is, I think I understand how it works, but it still confuses me in practice. I heard hero unique props should even have 20.48px/cm these days, and there is no way you can fit that in a single 0-1 space. So I'm guessing unique props really are usually mirrored and have islands stacked on top of each other?
>>
>>815690
>they already start spilling a bit over the 0-1, so I need to scale it down.
Or you double the texture size. So if you have unwrapped at 10.24 almost filing a 2048 texture, now that you use a 4k texture, the same UV map, still at 10.24 density, will take about a quarter of the space available. You don't need to change texel density. If, instead, you decide to make the unwrap fill the 4k space, now you're at 20.48 density. I hope this makes more sense.

If you must stay below, say, 4k, but setting your map to the required density makes it go outside of 0-1 space, you need to start considering UDIM or dividing your mesh across multiple textures.

>hero unique props should even have 20.48px/cm
Bear in mind, the key is how much space on screen it ill take. If the prop is 1m tall and will fill a 2160p screen, the texture must have at least that many pixels in order to appear sharp -- that'd be a 21.60 tx/cm density. I think most consumer screens today are still 1440p, so that might explain the suggestion to strive for 20.48 tx/cm.
>>
>>811351
what are the best places to find reference images? i just google image search and it feels retarded
>>
>>815720
Pinterest is good, despite the clunky interface. Bing Image search also has interesting features, although I haven't used it extensively.
>>
What should I try sculpting? I have no ideas, but I'd like to make something cute or possibly slightly creepy.
>>
File: ziggy.jpg (12 KB, 262x282)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
Anyone knows why is my normal map baking with zig zag edges (Substance Painter btw)? I think it isn't due to the UV islands because even high poly information bakes down wonky lines at the middle of the island. I only realized it when the curvature showed some visual problems, otherwise it wouldn't be a big deal. Does it have something to do with shading on LP or?
>>
where is a good place to start learning about making game assets? im loosely following the donut man just to get a feel for blender and most of the links in the sticky are dead
>>
>>812084
Based and god-tier series pilled
>>
Idiot question. Is a drawing tablet worthwhile, and is there a difference to just using a tablet I already have?
>>
>>811351
What the best Blender tutorial to start with?
>>
anyone got that meme dwarf model?
>>
File: NBru.gif (1015 KB, 320x240)
1015 KB
1015 KB GIF
Is it possible to create 3D models, and sell them as game development assets?
I'm currently into medieval-themed projects, and I'm having a blast creating them, but I can't help but to think to myself about how well these assets would fit into a game.

Can I sell the models I make? This is possible, right?
>>
>>816504
I'm gonna assume you mean screen tablet vs normal wacom tablet and the difference is personal preference.

personally I prefer a screen tablet but it's not like it improves your sculpting.
>>
>>816077
make a animu skeleton
>>816188
game engines have come a long way, there is not much difference between animation models and game models.
if you still follow donut tutorials, look for some about topology and texturing.
>>816504
I have no clue what tablet you already have anon? tablets are nice but not necessary.
>>816555
no
>>816581
yes it is possible. is it worth it? show what you got anon.
>>
File: egor-protonov-1001.jpg (542 KB, 1920x1536)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
I'm an absolute beginner.

I want to eventually be able to create cool 3D models of weapons.

Starting from scratch, what steps would I need to take in order to produce models like pic related? They look so cool.
>>
>>816590
>what steps would I need to take

gather reference images
blockout
highpoly
lowpoly
bake
texture
render

if we're talking realtime assets. if you just want to render them, then you can skip the lowpoly and bake steps.
>>
>>816590
don't try to think ur smart and do your own gun models.
get a good tutorial and follow it
>>
>>816599
>get a good tutorial and follow it

Just avoid Tim Bergholz's AK tutorial, it's utter shit.
>>
>>816616
>tfw spent half a year in tutorial hell when learning to code
god, what a horrible experience
thanks for the heads up
>>
>>816599
Shit advice. Learn modeling basics and then study topology from pros. Make your own projects.
>>
>>816590
the thing is there's literally like 4 ways you can do this (probably more)

>Pure subd modelling
>boolean crap
>do it in CAD (usually fusion360)
>zbrush it

You have time because it'll be literally years before you can do something that good so I'd suggest learning the basics of subd modelling and working your way up to trying other options from there, andrew hodgson has a good guide and a lot of arrimus 3d videos will help.
>>
>>816583
Yeah I meant that. Sorry for not clarifying.
>>816587
>I have no clue what tablet you already have anon? tablets are nice but not necessary.
I mean just any screen tablet, not the specific model I had.
>>
>>816616
What's terrible about it? He works in the industry and his stuff looks tremendously good.
>>
>>816760
get a small one is what i would say, the most annoying thing is it takes up space and is no replacement for a mouse and keyboard.
The only real benefit is the pressure sensitivity makes some things faster.
The pro is the pressure sensitivity the con it takes up space.
screen tablet or not makes no difference in my opinion
I get mine out sometimes but usually it's in a box.
>>
Got a question about roughness on human bodies.

I understand that we can't have a uniform shininess on a skin shader, so I wonder, what part of the body are supposed to have shinier skin?
>>
File: pl0050_face_rgh.jpg (1.82 MB, 2048x2048)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>816840
get some gamerips from good realistic games and have a study
>>
>>816840
stretched and taught skin areas.
on the face nose, forehead, chin, under and around the eyes.
>>
>>816763
Search for Tim Bergholz AK on artstation and tell me any of the models are good. Tim might not be a bad artist, but he sucks at making tutorials.
>>
File: me and my bitch.jpg (72 KB, 1024x757)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>816850
>beginners being bad at modelling means the course is bad

this is without even getting into how only pyschos and no hopers post the results of tutorials to arstation.

Come on dude you'll have to do better than that, explain what's fucking wrong with the actual course.
>>
>>813809
>>813862
Create a cube, delete the top and bottom faces, and add in the Solidify modifier. Yall can scale the cube to whatever size you want.
>>
>>816852
>post the results of tutorials to arstation.
Do people really?
>>
How do I specify units to import with a stl file? I dont want blender to keep thinking all my models are 112m instead of 112mm
>>
File: 1611371616278.webm (2.64 MB, 1716x1080)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB WEBM
>max swift loops
wtf am I doing wrong here?
why doesn't it turn into a circle?
>>
>>816951
Sorry for not answering your question the way you way it to be answered, but loop tools might do what you are looking for under rmb > loop tools > circle.
>>
>>816951
>>816952
Nevermind ignore what I wrote, blendlet here. Friday night and drunk.
>>
>>816951
Try selecting 4 faces instead.
>>
>>816955
I did, nothing happens.
>>
When I subdiv model, I sometimes tend to make a cut and straight up stop the edge loop in the middle of some flat surface, creating an ngon at that location. It's only on flat surface and I don't ever really see any shading problems. Is that a bad practice though if it works? Or is there something I'm missing? The thing is that sometimes there are tons of loops that would need to be connected if I wanted to do it properly, sometimes going fully around the model, so this solution seems simpler and faster to me.
>>
File: images (1).png (15 KB, 991x309)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>816980
If it looks good it is good, if you need all quad (say for detailing in zbrush later) the other option is the classic loop redirect shape, controlling edge loops and keeping them contained to only where you want them is a good idea in general
>>
>>816912
scale .001 apply scale
>>
>>817026
I know this is possible, i dont want to do it every time i import a model
>>
File: 1*ikFyLy2B-0jJU0NI9TMV0Q.jpg (599 KB, 1772x1688)
599 KB
599 KB JPG
What software should I learn if I want to make my own short movies, cinematic VFX and environment designs?

I saw some decent stuff made in UE4 but it seems like that's aimed more towards gaming? I'm mainly interested in creating something as realistic as possible. I know it's a lot to learn and will take me years.

Apologies in advance for the vagueness of this post, I'm really new to all of this.
>>
>>817075
UE4 is a content creation software at this point, not just a game engine. So you can definitely make good shit with it and all the other free tools Epic provides. It will take a long time to get to realistic shorts though. But if you really just want to get as photorealistic picture as possible, then offline renderers would be the better option. They just have their own problems then, because they are slower and it's harder to experiment and preview things in realtime like in UE4. I can render out a whole ray traced test sequence in Unreal by the time it would take me to just preview a single frame in an offline renderer, so I personally prefer realtime because of the workflow. It depends on you.
>>
>>817075
>my own short movies, cinematic VFX
>something as realistic as possible.
Your post isn't vague, you are just attempting to bite more than you can chew if you mean serious real short movies and CINEMATIC VFX.
You need to learn ALL the 3D disciplines (and those related to it), which means modelling/sculpting, UV-ing, texturing/shading, (rigging), animation, simulation, vfx, lighting, rendering, post and editing.
On top of it you need to learn and master ALL the art fundamentals that are necessary for all these disciplines which is basically EVERYTHING related to visual art.
In terms of software you need to learn one major 3D program like Maya, Max. Zbrush for sculpting, Substance Painter, or better Painter, Designer AND Mari for materials. Houdini for the general productivity, VFX, simulations and a tons of other stuff.
Nuke for compositing and Resolve for editing.
You are trying to become a true generalist and not many can pull it off.
You have to understand that if you want to do that, you have to put as much if not more energy into it as an specialized artist that wants to become the best in one discipline.
If you think you can do that on the side as an hobby, think again...if you aren't driven like a madman by passion you can stop right here. You'll never get even close to that.
>>
>>817075
learn enviro asset making, prod pipeline, trim sheets, reuse
then you can do your cinematic shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.