[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: tfw.jpg (148 KB, 616x562)
148 KB
148 KB JPG
>>
File: unknown-1.png (566 KB, 996x564)
566 KB
566 KB PNG
>>804798
It didn't because I am shit at it.
Pic rel
>>
It got me a bf
>>
>>804798
Yeah, probably for the worse. It feels like I'm wasting my time being a neet and working on a portfolio. If I had invested the same amount of time in coding, I probably would have been a senior earning 100k+ already. I could probably learn another meme webdev technology in the time it takes me to unwrap a complex prop, and the first thing makes me smarter, while the latter makes my IQ drop becuase UNWRAPING IS SOME MONKEY TIER SHIT AND I HATE IT HATE IT I HATE IT
>>
>>804815
Don't be so hard on yourself.
>>
>>804815
Yea whoever uses that matcap ngmi sorry
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 263x191)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>804821
Jogger
>>
I am a popufur now
>>
>>804815
>I am shit at it.

>proceeds to post proof of impressive skill
>>
>>804837
fishing for compliments
>>
>>804837
>tracing over car schematics
>impressive skill
Anon, you should really step up your work if this looks mindblowing for you.
>>
>>804843
Car-related CG is its own field and rightfully so.
>>
>>804836
Based
>>
>>804798
Make a bit of money off of vrchat avatars. It's fun
>>
>>804844
Yea almost like Daz
>>
>>804815
pathetic level of insecurity
>>
>>804819
>UNWRAPING IS SOME MONKEY TIER SHIT AND I HATE IT HATE IT I HATE IT
I feel the same way. The best way I've figured out to go about this assembly line shit with the least amount of pain is to work in passes. After the modeling and shit is done, I just set aside a bunch of time to UV everything, start a podcast, music playlist, movie, or whatever in background and get in the flow. Same thing for retopology after I figure out all the key loops.
>>
>>805098
I heard some people recommend to unwrap while you're modeling. When you're done with each part of the model, unwrap it before continuing. Don't know how efficient it is, but with that approach you don't end up with a gigantic amount of unwrapping to do after the model is finished.
>>
>>805110
I think that's great if you're good at context switching. UV unwrapping in the middle of the more active processes kills my productivity. That's why I'd rather spend a long time unwrapping. As for not getting overwhelmed by a gigantic amount of unwrapping -- I cap the number of models I make in a scene before doing a "UV pass" on them. Sometimes I take a break for a day or two before spending a bunch of time unwrapping.
>>
>>805117
It's funny how it was easier and faster to make 3D art when I was a noob with lower standards. I just auto unwrapped almost everything and the results were often good enough for me. I didn't bother too much with hp baking either and just used mid poly workflow. Didn't worry about optimization, lightmaps, correct pbr values, micro details in textures... Stuff like that. Now sometimes I feel like I got worse at it when I realize how much faster I could have finished a scene compared to now, but I know I improved. I just didn't do things "properly". It just shows how much faster 3D production can be if you take shortcuts like that and do what Ian Hubert does. His workflow feels so freeing t b h.
>>
>>804819
Unwrapping is the first IQlet filter.
Second one is retopo. Third is rigging.
You got filtered on the first one. Let that sink in.
>>
>>804815
Tell me your perspective matching secrets
>>
>>805127
blueprint drawings are not in perspective
>>
>>805129
Then what's that picture on the bottom right for?
>>
>>805123
You clearly lack reading comprehension. Who's IQlet now?
>>
>>805132
to see how the model feels compared to the pic most likely
>>
>>805122
>It just shows how much faster 3D production can be if you take shortcuts like that and do what Ian Hubert does.
I don't think taking shortcuts is a problem as long as it gives you good results, and people working on it in the future don't have a hard time.
If you're projecting textures(e.g., Substance Painter, map projections) and have the correct texel densities, you can mostly autogenerate the UVs.
You could also go with a complete procedural approach -- this practically takes the standard texture mapping out of the process. You can also gather UV shells in certain areas, and use a texture map for specific colors and effects. It also gives you a bunch of flexibility.
You can even model out most of the details instead of using texture maps with the current computation power. Just reduce the draw calls.
Though obviously, you'll have to discuss these things if you're working with other people or are on a budget.
>>
>>805134
It's not me who finds unwrapping so complex that he spends days on it. So still you.
>>
>>805138
I never said that. Unwrapping is pretty straight forward once you understand it, after that it's just a time consuming process without much creativity and challenge. That's why I find it boring and annoying, not hard. Tell me anon, why do you think so many people say that when they unwrap, they enter a kind of a zen mode and just listen to podcasts?
>>
>>805136
Makes sense. I'm struggling big time to model a car without blueprints. I can kinda sorta match my model to a picture, but then it will be completely fucked in other pictures.

Makes me feel like I'm basically eyeballing the car. Honestly might be better than trying to match these pictures.
>>
>>805143
>Honestly might be better than trying to match these pictures.
That's how most people do it, I think.
>>
>>805145
I'm not sure if it's that popular, considering every single car modeling tutorial on youtube starts with the guy setting up blueprints, but the people I've seen using camera/perspective matching do AMAZING work, and I have no idea how they pull that shit off.
>>
>>804815
Looks okay from thumbnail but zoomed in you destroyed your curvature in a lot of places and have some uneven bevels and weird shading
>>
>>805162
I have no idea how to fix it and i will try to understand it, any tips on how to get individual shapes to look less 'weird' or any advice that i could use?
>>804821
I used it to show it to my friends to avoid 'why is it gray' talking
>>805127
Following the replies from the other guy, yeah i line up edges with blueprint and photo of a car for curvature. Using cube to line up critical points came in handy with this model.
>>804837
Thank you, made my day
>>804860
):
>>804820
(:
>>
>>805110
>Don't know how efficient it is
Very efficient, if you are as good as me with unwrapping. I don't even need to open the UV editor, I just know how it will unwrap, I just cut the islands in 3D and press unwrap (blindly)
When I am done modelling, I am always surprised how little time it took, I just have to compile it all together into one UV map and its done.
Unwrapping is like 15% of the whole process.
>>
>>805253
Organic models, I guess? For hard surface trusting the software's auto unwrap is probably not a good idea.
>>
>>804798
I don't know about you niggers but I'm living the dream. Back in the 90's I always wanted to be a videogame developed, but instead of following my dreams dad threw me into college for chemistry. I dropped out, became a neet, then a bottom feeder worker, and one day I discovered one can do realistic 3D fantasy art with just a few programs, math isnt even involved, if I manage to make a living out of this I'll be making my inner child happy
>>
>>805331
Lol are you literally me?
Academia's so gay. Why are parents nowadays so fanatically obsessed with getting 100% of people through college, to the detriment of personal relationships.
There are other paths. It didn't always used to be this way. There's no guarantee you'll actually get a job and if you do, you'll be bottom of the barrel wagie
>>
>>805331
Show something you made
>>
left computer engeniering uni for 3d
lets hope i made the right choise
>>
>>804815
that's some pro-level
...humblebragging.
>>
>>805392
>switching from one meme to another
>>
>>805392
Leaving my job to dedicate myself to 3d this Friday, hope it turns out well
>>
its enabled me to make an income. feels good man
>>
>>804819
what are you using to unwrap? Blender? i cant speak for it but unwrapping in 3dsmax is not so bad,....
>>
File: Sheik.webm (2.94 MB, 960x540)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB WEBM
I just recently got into it, but I'm excited about finally being able to put together my own little mini series all on my own again. That was the dream as a kid, and here it is, dreams coming true. A bit scary cuz the medium is less enjoyed, particularly by adults, but I'm having fun telling a story I love.
>>
It hasn't.
>>
>>805556
That sounds awesome anon, care to show a bit of it?
>>
>>805656
Nothing substantial to show yet, as I only picked things up a few months ago, but I'm learning fast and am starting to put together more and more cohesive test scenes. I just got my motion capture suit today so the next step is to make a 'perfect' test scene basically, and then once I have that workflow established I can start producing the episodes as a whole.

The story was originally meant to be live action, and it got longer and longer when it was being worked on for a network, so I'm also currently working out how to cut down the pilot episode and how to best contain future plots into a 20 to 30 minute time limit. Just spent the last few hours ironing out lore details and such actually.
>>
File: 2579ba70de6f4143.png (20 KB, 1192x251)
20 KB
20 KB PNG
It gave me a creative outlet where i can produce decent looking results with amateur effort, with the promise of getting ever better if i put effort into it.
>>
>>804798
it made me poor
I should've been a manager instead
>>
>>805432
Does anyone have any experience with Rizom UV for unwrapping? Is it worth it?
>>
File: 9e14lwzp43k61.png (280 KB, 642x581)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>804815
lmao
>>
File: 1611277946733.jpg (6 KB, 258x196)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>804798
Modeling has definitely turned out ot be a better choice of hobby, than having none and playing vidya in my spare time.
I found the whole rotine of making mistakes and learning to fix them to be pretty fun. As long as I dont end up draggin the same 3 verticies around for an hour straight.
Since I can cover my bills, I'm mostly learning it for fun.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.