[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Capture.png (105 KB, 588x874)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
I've been working on this body for 3 hours. Do most people just sculpt and retopo their models?
>>
>>804635
not much anymore, people just polymodel characters these days.
>>
>>804636
nonsense, grandpa. the cutting edge character workflow is assembling them out of flat-shaded primitives like in money for nothing. that's the future.
>>
>>804635
You are a fucking retard. 3D is not for you.
The first time I tried to model a torso in Zbrush I did something 100 times better in just 30 minutes
>>
>>804635
>3 hours
Thinks that's a "long" time.
>>
>>804646
You mean you sculpted a torso?
>>
>>804647
Is it bad for three hours then?
>>
>>804635
How did you make that?
>>
>>804649
Not when you are learning. You will have to put 100s of hours in to get good.
>>
>>804648
Yes
>>
>>804646
>>804655
Flat out lie and you should be ashamed of yourself
I'd call you a joke, but jokes are funny
>>
>>804672
Cope
>>
>>804650
I'm really sorry for not responding. I used a reference of a woman and made each limb individually. I tend to make awkward limbs when I extrude them from the body, so I made them separate. The legs and arms were long square prisms with the top faces deleted and a had a subsurf.
>>
>>804646
post it.
>>
show the butt
>>
>>804635
Honestly, don't even concern yourself with how long it's taking you. This is pretty good so far, and you're at least paying attention to topology unlike a lot of beginners.

As for your question, it heavily depends. Sometimes you'll purely sculpt then retopo, or you'll sculpt on a clean base mesh to save time, then retopo, or you'll sculpt on a base mesh and not even retopo because the original base mesh is good enough, or you'll just poly model the whole thing. It really is a case to case basis and you gotta do whatever works for you.
>>
>>804635
These times are totally normal for a beginner. Dont trouble yourself with the pace, just keep going and youll naturally become more efficient over time.
Also after a few models done you will find that designing a base model for human characters that you base all future models on is the way to go. It has topology and uvs already sorted out and just needs to be reshaped with every new character you create. You then also improve little issues that it might have over time with the different use cases you put it through.
>>
>>804646
meds psycho
>>
>>804635
ok... how to explain...

this is highly dependant on application but lets assume you want a portfolio piece,

box modeling shit is for very low poly/stylized

what you use box modeling for is prototyping and base 'its at least something to work with' work, or if you are doing something completely mechanical and need that perfect edge feel. but even with mechanical, its possible to sculpt it and possibly sculpt it faster as long as the part doesn't need to be working.

what you are doing is not bad to know how to do, but every industry has moved away from this and went to sculpting that this kind of work is almost pointless unless you want a really simple model for learning rigging or animation.

as for modeling fast, the more you do something the more you know how to do it. for me the easiest way to explain it is photoshop, the first time you cover a blemish you may have tried to paint it, the next time you may have clone stamped it, by the 10th time it's second nature and you don't even bother looking to closely at what you do. at some point you know exactly what you are doing and getting from point a to b is simple, that's the same with modeling.
>>
>>804652
This. OP, 3 hours is generally a blink of an eye when it comes to any kind of 3D production.
>>
>>804769

This.

Also, check the feet. They're always slightly larger than you expect.
>>
>>804635
OP this is good
>>
>>804635
>I've been working on this body for 3 hours.
Ask me how I know that you masturbated at least 2 hours while modelling this.
>>
>>804646
Sculpting gives you good models, but box modeling gives you good models and topology from the get-go.
>>
>>804635
That's actually pretty good for 3 hours anon. If you pop a multires modifier on that and sculpt some higher details it could turn out really good if you're not going for the low-poly style. As for your question, 95% of modelers nowadays use the blocking->sculpting->retopo workflow for their work. While this is a versatile workflow, it is pretty time intensive if you're just starting. It's not too useful if you're going for a low-poly or anime-like aesthetic though, for that box-modeling is more useful. If you look up "modeling vtuber in blender" or something like that there are a lot of videos of people poly-modeling anime characters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0FUeoHgGBQ
>>
>>804635
Cunny
>>
>>805116
>but box modeling gives you good models and topology from the get-go.
at 5 times the time investment, and with ps2 levels of detail. no thanks grandpa, i'm not making a retro videogame
>>
>>805157
that's why you subdivide and bake
>>
>>805186
You don't magically conjure detail by subdividing
>>
>>805189
Sculpt the details after subdividing and bake it onto the lower res model fucking retard!
>>
>>805190
this approach works only for hardsurface
>>
>>804635
That looks excellent OP. I'd be very proud of something like that. Feet too small and narrow though.
>>
File: Capture.png (150 KB, 349x852)
150 KB
150 KB PNG
>>804635
you keep practicing
>>
>>805190
or i could just sculpt it in the first place like a sane person. sculpt+retopo is way faster and more convenient than boxmodel+sculpt. you have not shown any benefits of your goofy mid-2000s workflow. again, i am not trying to recreate old videogames, so why would i copy their methods?
>>
OP here. I retried it.
>>
>>805948
>>
>>804635
Just do a retopo without a sculpt
>>
File: step_10C.jpg (74 KB, 690x841)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>804635
>Do most people just sculpt and retopo their models?
I don´t know about most people, but i abandoned boxmodeling a decade ago and yes, that´s exaclty what i do.
Sculpting is like drawing, you get the hang of poses, pieces and so forth as you model more and more, be machine or character.
How many models you did in how much time? That´s the answer for all your questions, my friend.
>>
>>805949
Learn some topology you fucking nigger, and why are you using the cavity shader?
>>
>>805955
What could I do to improve the butt?
>>
File: HIGH QUALITY CG 07.jpg (87 KB, 1200x516)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>805960
Not the nigger-calling anon, but...
If you´re not doing a photorealistic, laser-scan, 360 degree photographic referenced nude model, them the model in question is a cartoon-like in your style, and YOU decide what topology YOU use on it.
Hat/3/rs gonna hat/3/, so if you don´t have a specific technical issue that isn´t 'do you guys like it like that' ambiguous, reserve /3/ to a unused sample of your finished, textured, animated model.
>>
File: buttTopo2.png (466 KB, 1059x1018)
466 KB
466 KB PNG
>>805964
Why would you show him that picture of such a badly bricked model unless you want him to see how NOT to topo your model.

>>805960
Anon here is a picture of perfect butt topology, see and learn how the masters do it.
>>
>>806006
Please sir, post version without subdivision levels.
>>
>>806006
>Its another guy who sees a triangulated wireframe model and automatically assumes its shit because he has a sexual fetish for imaginary four-sided shapes.
>>
>>806017
/3/ is Dunning-Kruger central, bro
>>
>>806006
you're a gorilla monkey
>>
>>806006
japanese topoautismo manually figures out perfect flow with each tri
versus your flat boring automated shit with no artistic value whatsoever
hard choice
>>
>>806017

>>805964

Disgusting dog shit topology and model triangles or not
>>
>>806018
>>
>>806083
Says the guy who posted a featureless blob with basically zero anatomical detail and thinks it's good.
>>
>>804646
You forgot to take your daily meds, psycho cunt
>>
>>806070
Who cares if the end results are the same or have insignificant differences. You fags always talk about muh artistry when it comes to technical bullshit like this, while never about things like texturing, composition, lighting, storytelling and ya know, things that are actually artistic and matter. Your models will end up as a decoration in the entertainment industry, they won't be integrated in a mars rover.
>>
I know I suck ass too but I couldn't help but to notice your struggling with ass. You don't always make edge loops with the basic function, you can also do it with extrusions.

>green = surface
>red = resultant edge loops

Don't think about the speed yet, anon. You haven't even gotten a job yet. Have fun.
>>
File: suckass.png (567 KB, 1920x1057)
567 KB
567 KB PNG
>>806124
I forgot my post kek!
>>
>>805964
さくらもち
@sakuramochiJP
>>
>>804635
>polygonal butt post clearly identified
>>
>>804638
That ain't workin
>>
>>806070
and he spends days flipping edges to produce one mediocre looking weeb model for some obsucre anime game engine... thats like the burger flipping of 3d
>>
File: HIGH QUALITY CG 08.jpg (127 KB, 1200x419)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>806134
The Master hiumself
>>
>>805964
PUFFY
>>
>>806165
TAKE THAT, TOPO-AUTISTS
>>
>>806170
>"master"
sure if a static pose for 3point light renderings is all you want then who cares, now try to animate that with proper anatomical muscle and bone detail moving around... ooh yeah, suddenly topology becomes actually relevant
>>
>>806185
Shut up you literal retarded Topofag

He does all that with masterful understanding of anatomy and pose. Very stylish.

Now please link to your Artstation, fag
>>
>>806185
>autist whines
like clockwork
>>
>>806185
> relevant
It isn't unless your renderer is garbage.
>>
File: EgxGwa6UMAAm6lL.jpg (108 KB, 984x413)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>806185
>>
>>806185
I think he just triangulated faced after baking animatations to prevent replication. I'm sure he worked really hard to get to this point, regardless of opinion.
>>
>>806204
soul
>>
>>806185
you really don't understand topology
try to realise that quads don't actually exist, everything is tris.
his models are actually optimised for animation and proper topo flow.
go practise your cargo cult elsewhere or simply stfu since you clearly don't know your shit
>>
>>806114
please grow a pair of work ethics.
>>
File: Eu1oUB2VcAMc0Xh.jpg (82 KB, 930x890)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>806218
This. Everything is actually comprised of triangles. quads are just memory cached geometry to properly distribute light, and by the looks of his pseudo "90s computer game hentai node shading", it really doesn't matter.
>>
File: 1548013005982.jpg (52 KB, 430x645)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>806231
>>806218
Oh yeah and we breathe air to live... duuuuuuh! You fools, everyone knows that quads are also internally trianglated, thats not even the point of this.
But after seeing these images you posted I think im done here. Just stay naive weeb fanboys for all i care, my time is too valuable to deal with this.
God this place is pathetic why do I always come back here.
>>
>>806219
>be a good goy 3d cog monkey chinese factory worker
>>
>>806204
fuck the topo, I wanna know his rigging secrets
>>
>>806185
>>806204
biggest btfo on the board this month ahahah
>>
>>806231
>quads are just memory cached geometry to properly distribute light
I don't know what you're trying to say, quads are simply 2 tris. the id of each poly determines the winding order since they're rendered as strips.
>>806260
his bone setups are pretty straight forward, albeit quite complex. go check his twitter.
>>
Quad Autismimo Topofag is seething so hard while getting BTFO'd hard by superior chaotic Tri-Jap lmao
>>
>>806204
Quadfags absolutely BTFO'd.

Look at that rigging. Look at the shaders interacting with the definition in chun li's arms, holy shit.

>I think he just triangulated faced after baking animatations to prevent replication

Nah, look at >>806165 again. There are plenty of quads. The triangulated faces have been specifically, intentially triangulated by him to give him manual control of the orientation of the central edge of the quad.
>>
>>806165
>all this effort
>tits look like bad implants
why
>>
>>806291
>bad implants
I'd say they look more like the tits of well endowed [spoiler]14 year old
>>
>>806263
>the id of each poly determines the winding order since they're rendered as strips

That's what cached geometry is. RAM hold that id. Just thought I could save a couple of words.
>>
>>806286
>to give him manual control of the orientation of the central edge of the quad.
You don't need to triangulate to have that control. At least in Maya.
>>
>>806322
'saving' words by uttering nonsense.
everything you work on are in RAM anyhow.
You talk about this "cached geometry" which is actually some Maya specific thing to save intermediate mesh data on HARD DRIVE and not RAM.
So just stay quiet if you don't know even the basics of general 3d graphics render process.
>>
>>806344
Funnily enough, you didn't need to triangulate to do it in blender either, prior to 2.8, when blender's functionality regressed so that it could have Eevee and a new ui.

Regardless, though, triangulating does let you see what you're doing.
>>
>>806262
>>806231
>>806218
>>806204
>>806188
>>806195
>>806170
>>806189
OP here. It warms my heart to see people like you shame these retards. Ive been modeling for two years (more like a couple months of days worth) and I have been severely held back by the negative feelings of using tris and I’ve thrown away dozens of models because I couldn’t keep it all in quads. Granted, some of it was stupid, like caring about topology in flat objects, but still, I kept caring about topology over the resulting product. Fuck these idiots
>>
>>806416
enjoy your unpaid hobby then. youll never make a living from it
>>
>>806424
Why do you say that?
>>
>>806346
My guy comes here with no proof to refute the argument only to completely agree with what he's trying to agree with. It's okay to be retarded, Anon.
>>
>>806428
you'll figure that out on your own... you're a big boy now
>>
>>804646
>LPs pipeline is the same as HPs
you are the retard
>>
>>806416
Key things to remember:

- Anything intended for realtime rendering is probably going to have tris somewhere - keeping things fully quad is just bloating the polygon count.

- Tris only deform badly if their dimensions and orientation don't work well with the direction the joint is going to deform in. Many older tutorials specifically told you where to use tris and how to orient them on joints.

- The primary reason for maintaining quads is that they will always subdivide in a uniform manner. When you're in a position where your final mesh is never going to be subdivided again, that reason is gone, realtime or not.

- The orientation of the triangle edge of the triangle edge of a quad matters, especially on realtime assets.

The 'TRIS ARE BAD!' crowd are are dunning-krueger types who've absorbed a basic tip from an beginner tutorial, but that's as far as things go for them.
>>
>>806448
Thank you for these pearls of wisdom. I’ve already begun in making models with tris.
>>
>>806470
none of the components of a gun really deform. It's okay in this instance unless you wanted a cartoon aesthetic.
>>
>>806470
You don't even need all those tris. There's no reason to connect the geometry of those pins to the main body of the gun. They can just be seperate pieces that intersect it, and it won't cause you any rigging difficulties because it's a rigid object.

Other than that, good job. You are now emancipated from the oppression of the quadrilateral Jew.
>>
>>806448
Thanks for the guidelines anon.
Especially the third bit
>>
>>806470
just use big ngons on flat surfaces
>>
>>806514
You're forgetting that ngons don't exist.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.