[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

How much quicker is modeling in VR?
>>
>>804392
Are you the same schizo than the one who scribbles in /ic/?
>>
slower
>>
>>804392
about -2.5 times as fast, come back when we have at least cyberglove or some neuralink shit
>>
Not this shit again.
>>
File: sensi.jpg (1.24 MB, 3072x2048)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB JPG
>>804392
A lot of it is Voxel sculpting and that can take some getting used to. You can add and subtract stuff pretty quick and in full 3D but it can be a pain to control sometimes.
>>
>>804450
can you import these models to blender and continue working on them there???
>>
>>804793
If you are going to then work on them in blender or zbrush why not just start in blender or zbrush
>>
>>804799
blender just have more features
but sculpting in vr seems interesting and could be much easier idk
>>
>>804801
stop trying to escape hard work and just put in the fucking hours, you will suck at VR sculpting too if you suck at normal sculpting.
>>
Dunno bout Norma sculpting but I'm convinced it's probably quite good for modern hair creators.

https://youtu.be/3UZ1O8Fi40Q
>>
>>804793
Yeah most I know can export as model files

>>804802
You're being a tryhard. I agree that vr controls won't cover for poor skills but it's a fun way to sculpt.
>>
>>804809
If sculpting isn't fun for you then you're probably in the wrong industry
>>
>>804826
Skulpting in VR is closer to how its done Irl.
>>
>>805049
no it's not, sculpting IRL is like 70% feeling and touching and the only thing you feel in your fake shit is two oversized dildos
>>
>>805049
You're not even sculpting, you're just... I don't know, you're doing absolutely nothing at all but throw your arms around in VR like a spastic.
>>
>>805049
just sculpted this hole in my wall in vr
>>
>>805049
Even as the vr guy here, I say that's pretty false. You just add and cut out shapes. Some have a move/grab tool but that's like any other sculpt app with the added benefit of full 3D motion.

>>805167
>>805168
>Technology is scary to me
>>
>>805170
>>Technology is scary to me
I wasn't complaining about VR sculpting, I only pointed out that Schizo Anon is not actually sculpting, he is just waving his hands around like a retard.
Learn to read.
>>
>>805173
It's the "waving his arms around" part that makes you sound like you're no idea how VR works.
>>
>>805187
I do know very well how it works, OP is the one who doesn't know how it works.
Also, I'm obviously exaggerating. Goddamn Aspies.
>>
>>
How will 3Dflatlets ever recover??
>>
>>805170
>Technology is scary to me

VR gives you a massive disadvantage in the controls department, both in sculpting and in games. both of these tasks require precision.

and we have fingers to do tasks that require precision, in VR you are using your whole arms to do things that require your fingers. then today's motion tracking deducts even more.

it is just inefficient, demands extra motion from you, etc...

so yeah, you can sculpt some basic shit with VR, but you'll do it much better in a normal way...

also, it really baffles me, how the gaming industry decided to go all-in on VR shit when it was getting started, without figuring out that it'll fucking flop D: then they had to let go almost all devs...
>>
I don't think it matters what you're using if all you're going to do is smear a sphere around, schizo
>>
File: much thinking.jpg (17 KB, 500x508)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>805281
the thing is that I believe sculpting with more drawing like controls is just actually a lot easier and faster to get to the desired result than any alternative, it's certainly faster than IRL sculpting and clearly you can get to higher levels of precision and detail in zbrush than it's rational to in real life as well.

So the question to me becomes why would you want it to be more like real life sculpting?
>>
>>804392

Most people in this thread commenting on the efficacy of VR modeling have likely never actually tried it in a serious manner. As someone who has spent hundreds of hours in VR sculpting/painting and more than a decade using Zbrush I can tell you that VR sculpting has some really great advantages you guys are overlooking.

Pros for sculpting in VR

1. You can move in three dimensions at once, you can rotate the model as you sculpt while simultaneously move your sculpting hand in 3 dimensions as opposed to typical sculpting that requires you to first move the camera, stop and then make a stroke in 2 dimensions. This gives you a level of accuracy that you cant find in typical desktop applications.

2. You have more information to work with as you sculpt, sculpting with depth information allows you to make better judgement on the model In front of you as opposed to looking at a constant 2d image.

3. Oculus medium voxel based sculpting is way more advanced for creating base mesh sculptures than even Zbrush, the ability to add and subtract mesh information in real time at 90 fps makes creating complex shapes way easier as opposed to having to add meshes and then dynamesh them in or working with the sculptris mode that is severely limited in comparison to Medium.

4. Usability: these applications are made so that a baby can pick it up and learn to use them as opposed to the typical overly bloated
industry software.

5. Cheap, you can buy a headset and the applications for less than the price of a Wacom tablet.
>>
>>805335

Cons.

1. Physically its more exhausting, you wont be able to spend 5 hours sculpting in VR without risking serious eye/mental fatigue, there is still a lot of room for improving comfort when it comes to headsets and the optics. So basically its not very efficient, but people are wrong about having to use your arms, you can get by by only using your wrists if you want by playing with the scale of the model.

2. You wont be doing very complex models, meaning nothing that you would see in a cinematic for example, at the moment the best you can archive is high quality base meshes for sculpting and detailing in other software or art for the sake of it like showing off sculpting.

3. These apps are still really early in their career, lots of features missing, for example in Medium you wont be making any optimized assets, there are no Uvs or any sort of animation, its a purely sculpting application, its bare bones.

TLDR: VR sculpting can be better for making base meshes than most sculpting software out there but lacks the comfort and efficiency to spend hours detailing in. If you get a chance I recommend you try it, its not going anywhere, Medium was recently bought by Adobe.
>>
>>805301
I like real life sculpting because I can feel clay melting under me own hands and taking forms of whatever I desire
if you could combine that with limitless supply of virtual clay and non-existing physics I and I think many other irl sculptfags actually will jump into vrshit the moment it hits
imagine not needing to buy materials or going full hobo diy clay robinsonade and when you're done you can print it if you wish now that's gonna be fucking cool as fuck
unfortunately what we have now isn't even approaching 10% of the real shit
>>
I wish Kodon wasn't so flaky. I appreciate it trying to cover modes for box modelling, mesh sculpting and voxel sculpting in one program but conversion from one to the other always breaks it.
>>
>>805495
What would you think of an AR sculpting application where you can scan/add digital parts onto real life models? Maybe you can even color them in AR much easier or add animations.
>>
File: schizosculpting.jpg (64 KB, 786x791)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Hey OP I'm wondering the same, would VR make my sculpting any faster? This one took me about three days to complete
>>
File: my_project.png (490 KB, 1013x1248)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>
>>804393
isn't that everyone on /ic/ ?
>>
>>805756
No, there is (or used to be) a schizo who only uploaded spastic scribbles while asking for dumb questions at the same time
>>
>>
>>
>>804392
>>805049
>>805268
>>805634
>>805636
>>805659
>>806283
>>806480
kys

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.