[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 536536536.jpg (122 KB, 1280x720)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
how to retopo efficiently in blender? are there any plugins that are as good as maya's retopo tools? i want to retopo as fast as possible.
>>
>>803300
>Google it
>>
>>803300
You can retopo me op
>>
>>803300
you fucking disgusting retard

https://youtu.be/X8kQiccJetw
>>
Another of the tedious, unartistic tasks that will be entirely handled by AI in the future.
>>
>>803320
>I'm too stupid to do it now so I'll just wait to get spoonfed
ngmi
>>
>>803300
just put vertices one by one lool
>>
>>803323
I wasted the better part of 20 years on stupid technical(or rather brain dead) shit like UV mapping, rigging and retopo. It's as un-artistic as it gets.
>>
>>803341
Ive always said artfags are the worst. Go do some 2d, entitled cunt
>>
>>803342
He's right, you know. Stop being triggered so much whenever everyone mentions this (I assume you're the same dude who keeps writing shit like this). UV mapping, retopo, baking and similar tasks aren't even that challenging, they're just monkey busywork.
>>
>>803300
Retopoflow.
>>
>>803320
Who knows, maybe in the future your artistic abilities will be replaced by machine too.
>>
>>803342
Is that your inner TD screaming out at the world or just mild autism?
>>
>>803342
i know, you seem to tell this board how butthurt you are at the concept of art about five times a day. get over yourself you angsty teenage faggot
>>
>>803344
He might be right, but he chose the wrong field. If you don’t find the technical part of the job enjoyable, fuck off to 2d. Or trad painting/sculpting/whatever.
>>803384
A bit of both
>>803392
I don’t post in this tone very often. And I don’t hate artists, but pretentious shitters thinking they are above the technical aspects of their highly technical craft do trigger me.
>>
>>803402
"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWW": the post
>>
File: 1469737063145.png (299 KB, 540x532)
299 KB
299 KB PNG
Flipped Normals is garbage tier clickbait for beginners that want to feel accomplished without doing opening blender.exe
>>
>>803504
This

Flipped Normals are retards with no clue how to do the most basic shit, yet they pose as "experts". In their retopo video, for example, they say you should use the shrinkwrap modifier (because they stole it from a tutorial from 2008), which is 2000% retarded. The shrinkwrap modifier makes it impossible to place verts in tight corners, and the default snapping feature already does everything you want it to do. Fucking hell, I hate those fags.
>>
File: bawks modeling.png (291 KB, 1378x934)
291 KB
291 KB PNG
>>804479
you mean pic related is not industry level quality?
>>
>>804486
>>804479
I find it hard to believe these guys actually worked on big movies.
>>
>>804488
Weeell, you know how it is.. some people are lighting artists, compositing artists, texture artists and all that shit. They often have just basic knowledge of modeling, topology etc. Take a look at some lighting artist portfolio, they usually don't model or animate their stuff, they light the scene and call it a day. It looks great, but you know.. Not so much because of their skill..
>>
>>804486
Now watch their sculpting vids and see how quickly they produce passable results
>>
File: morten-jaeger-marathon[1].jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>804488
nah be real, morten at the very least is pretty fuckin good.

https://youtu.be/cT3LNee9CzU
>>
>>804495
Theyre both good, that guy is Dunning Krugering it
>>
>>804493
>>804495
>thanos
>45 hours
>no legs
>no retopology
>no texturing
That's a work week +5 hours.
It's passable, but def. not industry standard.
I can tell you, those people are absolutely insane and the work they put out reflects it.
Even if Flippednormals have worked in the industry, it doesn't mean that they can deliver.
I've known a guy who has worked on one of the old Disney movies and, man.. that guy was not pulling his weight, but hey, now he can go around and "teach" noobs about workflows and shit.
>>
>>804499
you know a guy eh.
>>
>>804501
yeah, you call him mom
>>
>>804499
Well, maybe stop watching shitty thanos vids
>>
>>804499
Pyw
>>
>>804504
debate me instead, you faggot
>>
>>804486
That's not an example of them being bad at 3D, but it is a good example of something else.

They are total shills.

Say what you will about Andrew Price but his tutorials actually make you want to learn 3D.
These guys on the other hand seem to want to suck any passion you might have out of you.
I stopped watching them a year ago but the worst I saw was
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42pALQQefDk
>Be a cog
>Don't think
>Do popular fanart
>>
i have NEVER finished a model because i give up at retopo
>>
>>804640
Would you rather be:
Enthusiastic about 3D, but incompetent
Disillusioned but decently prepared.
?
>>
File: price sculpts.png (368 KB, 610x1005)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>804640
that was advice to get into a studio not to have fun as a hobbyist.

Andrew price's incredible advice however consists of nuggets like "don't compare yourself to pros because it'll hurt your fee fees" and "do my anvil"

you got scammed if you ever paid attention to him.
>>
>>804640
>that video
Imagine being so cucked that you decide to invest so much time and energy to get into a field where you get to be an artist, but the type who only copies other people's works. It has all of the challenges and suffering other art fields have, but without a true satisfaction at the end even if you make it.
>>
>>804800
R3DS Wrap is not a retopo tool. WTF is he talking about.
Also 5 hours for that?
>>
>>804506
>no works
>but hey, now he can go around and "teach" noobs about workflows and shit
>>
also
>>803300
>how to retopo efficiently in blender? are there any plugins that are as good as maya's retopo tools? i want to retopo as fast as possible.
PolyQuilt
found it in the comments for the latest flipped normal retopo video kek
>>
>>804812
yeah being bad at sculpting is one thing, not everyone is gonna have the art gene and take to it immediately but like 5 hours for basic head topology that doesn't even look good is fucking bizarre as somebody who's supposed to be a guru.
>>
>>804800
2020 and he's never touched sculpting before? Has he only made donuts and anvils before this?
>>
>>804640
>>Be a cog
>>Don't think
That's what employers want.
>>
>>804640
>>804806
>>805159
/v/ and /ic/ tourists, you gotta leave.
doing 3d without a reference or 3d concepting is completely different talk and as a beginner you have no skills or experience to do it decently. you gonna fail like a bitch and no one gives a fuck about your theoretical deep artistic talent if you fail at modeling, unwrapping and baking a threaded screw. learn how to use your hammer and chisel, then go around and bitch and moan about muh industry liming your artistic potential.
>>
so... do you guys have any source to learn the basics of retopo?
>>
>>804640
>>804806
You use reference to learn how to successfully apply 2d concepts into 3d while giving it your all. You have to think holistically
>>
>>805177
It's something that you learn over time, but I learned how to do from box modeling characters.
https://youtu.be/5G9ziFbJJmM
>>
>>805180

thanks anon
>>
>>805177
the key is to work very low/simple and subdivide so that it would wrap around your sculpt well
>>
>>805177
Topology should be cylindrical for limbs (preferably eight subdivisions for arms, legs, and necks). circular or oval for bellies, vaginas, eyes, mouths, and assholes. etc

You can theoretically do it without retopo, but it's a pain in the ass to weight paint shit.
>>
>>805183
also, use existing topology ref
>>
>>805178
>>805171
I'm not talking about using references when learning, but about the fact that professional 3D artists spend their careers copying other people's ideas and concepts. A job of a 3D cog in a machine consists of getting a task to make a perfect recreation of a picture they are given and that's it, like a robot. But it becomes really sad when they use other people's concepts even for their personal projects.
>>
>>804479
???
Shrinkwrap + subd gets into tight corners fine.
>>
>>805212
joblet sheltered zoomers gonna taste some fucking life because all this muh cog garbage is very tiresome. 3d by it's nature and toolkit leans towards crafts like metalworking or engineering, areas where you have plenty of opportunities to use your intelligence and wit = express your fucking artistic nature you stupid nigger, art is not only drawing OC anime trannies.
you can create a perfect recreation of a spoon in dozens different ways, workflows and solutions, you can program a photoreal spoon with fucking substance designer math nodes. so this isn't art right? only OC anime sculpts is art? fucking OC tranny, you totally don't get 3d and never gonna make it.
>>
File: basadp.png (216 KB, 521x937)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>>805226
dangerously based
>>
>>805226
>you can create a perfect recreation of a spoon in dozens different ways, workflows and solutions
Meh, not really, at least in the production. It's pretty straight forward, not much intelligence needed.
>>
>>805237
I don't think you need much intelligence to make 3d trannies either.
>>
>>805238
I agree, that's why I don't waste my time on them either
>>
>>804640
>Don't Do Your Own Concept Art as a 3D Artist
How the fuck are you supposed to create your own original shit then? You just end up making someone else's thing instead. This advice would only be useful for retards wanting to slave away as part of some industry.
>>
>>805296
>This advice would only be useful for retards wanting to slave away as part of some industry.

yes that's the topic of the video retard
>>
>>805226
This is some wagie cope if I've ever seen one.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.