[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 19 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

New board added: /pw/ - Professional Wrestling

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Physical sculpting + stop motion > 3d animation. We all know who the true artistic visionaries are.
>>
>>802306
I don't even disagree, but I would love to do or see some stop motion with highly complex 3D printed models.
>>
>>802312
Why so you can bastardized the art form?
>>
Don't get me wrong, I love stop motion, but the shit is so labor intensive, space intensive, and budget intensive, you'd probably be better off just going with a stop motion style in a 3D program. I don't blame them if they do. The physicality of stop motion is awesome, but wew. The work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnqPfWmGoeE

Watch this video, it's just... Jesus christ man.
>>
>>802314
But the work is what makes it more special. It translates through the screen, and is way more captivating than a cheap, digital image. It’s the analog version of animation. Analog > digital.
>>
File: 1604069529930.jpg (60 KB, 300x300)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>802318
>Analog > digital.
>>
>>802319
The opinion of the majority of musicians as well
>>
File: fifthelement_taxi.gif (3.94 MB, 480x272)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB GIF
>>802306
Stop motion definitely has its place in some productions. More than that I want to do motion control photography with miniatures, but using the advantages of digital compositing.
>>
File: Erika.jpg (149 KB, 768x768)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>802325
You're arguing like an idiotic Hipster.
Sure Analog synths are cool and I own a few of them myself, but in the end it's all recorded and mastered digitally.
You're doing absolutely fuck all. You probably don't do any real sculpting, stop motion or 3D work. You just come here to post this bullshit to make yourself feel superior besides your lack of skill in anything.
If analog is always the absolute, please go ahead and sell your PC and get a typewriter, it probably would increase your productivity.
>>
File: The_Beldam's_Third_Form.jpg (125 KB, 1016x709)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>802306
Your pictured example the nightmare before Christmas isn't all that impressive. Next time you want to make a point about an art style post the fuckin best. Behold my pic and realize you have shit taste if you think nightmare even holds a candle
>>
>>802335
Oh shut up
>>
>>802333
trips of truth
>>
File: shots-1.jpg (1.16 MB, 1012x3416)
1.16 MB
1.16 MB JPG
>>802328
>The Fifth Element
I was obsessed with the look of this movie during my time in film school
>>
>>802333
Are you fucking retarded? You people master with analog equipment in studios. Especially with tape machines, mixers, and effects.
>>
>>802335
The nightmare before Christmas is better than coralline. The songs in Nightmare are pure classics. It really is the full package.
>>
Why can't stop motion and 3d animation enthusiasts simply get along?
You have more in common than with "muh superior hand drawn 2d" fans. They don't even have models.
>>
>>802367
>You have more in common than with "muh superior hand drawn 2d" fans.
Yup, and there's also this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PV9qRSa51w
>>
>>802312
>>802313
laika movies are all made with 3d printing, those models are cgi first.
>>
>>802420
except characters in the nightmare before Christmas weren’t 3d printed
>>
>>802424
Ah yes the famous Laika movie nightmare before Christmas
>>
>>802314
True art demands devotion, effort and investment without asking for return. You might not wanna turn all those pure art form into instant noodles like what they all do in the industries
>>
>>802306
I wonder if the 3d pipeline would be slower than stop motion
>>
>>802455
There is a happy medium between being a conformist globohomo maker and spending your rent and lunch money on a studio to make an artsy stop motion animation that won't return your investment.
Also if technology allows you to make a more ambitious project than you could physically why not use that potential?
>>
3D BACKGROUNDS
REAL LIFE MODELS
>>
File: 1613386302079.jpg (114 KB, 1200x1188)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>804135
>>
Are there any CG movies made to look like they were done with stop motion?
>>
>>804138
Lego movie is a pretty obvious example, but can't think of any others. Fill me in /3/
>>
File: 05bUkT4.gif (1.96 MB, 500x316)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
>>804140

Pretty much just the Lego1,2,Batman. But most stop motion movie rely heavily on CGI nowadays to keep the sets smaller and more manageable. Check out Kubo's behind the scenes.

Also, there are only two real reasons why stop motion looks better than 3D CGI:

1) Detail. The models don't have to be rendered, so they have no "polygon limit", which means they can be as detailed as the sculptors want. As computers have advanced, this problem has dwindled so as to no longer be noticeable.

2) Lighting. The characters are lit by real lights, so all the little details of colors bouncing around are caught, and it looks so much better. But global illumination is standard now for CGI, and it's getting better constantly, so that advantage will soon disappear, too.

Those are it. Any other reasons you've imagined (iT hAs So MuCh SoUl) are worthless shit.
>>
>>804138
You could easily fake the slight imperfect offsets of every movement and the general staccato in any 3D application.
>>
>>804138
>>804140
actually, I just remembered this thing i saw on blenderartists. not a full film, or even a finished project, but still pretty neat

https://blenderartists.org/t/the-4th-wall-a-never-to-be-released-stop-motion-project/1282329
>>
>>804175
I'm trying to figure out what exactly is it that makes that scene look like a miniature. DoF is a one thing, but is it only just that? Is it something about models or texturing? Textures look pretty clean and simple, are they not? Obviously some models are stylized, but Pixar's props are stylized as well but don't look like miniatures. I feel like the details are subtle and I struggle to analyze them. But it is clear as day this is, or at least is supposed to be, a representation of a miniature set.
>>
>>804182
scale of materials is a big one, cloth grain only gets so small so making your materials match real world scale helps a lot.

this is why barbie has such a long neck for example, because the clothes are very bulky due to the grain so when the clothes are on her the neck is the right size.
>>
>>804147
there are other human, non technical reasons too.

1) animation technique. stop motion animators have developed an entirely different skill set of animation principles from 3D animators, and it's possible to have a subjective preference of one over the other.

2) restriction. the constraints that arise from working in the real world causes unique challenges that need creative solutions, which often lead to a noticeable framing/composition choices that would not be so obvious in a less restricted environment.

I imagine these things among others are what brainless notice subconsciously but don't understand, and therefore label as "soul".
>>
>>804138
the new pingu
>>
>>804175
Material scale is a thing. I can only talk from building and filming mechanical objects, but the structure of surfaces and the quality of highlights gives it away.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.