[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 22 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next ~72 hours. Apply here.

New board added: /xs/ - Extreme Sports

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: retro.jpg (731 KB, 768x1892)
731 KB
731 KB JPG
What old program should I download to start making stuff like this? I'd rather use a program from the era instead of trying to force a modern program and renderer in to results like this.
>>
>>802159
This board is like groundhog day.
>>
File: Fortifications.png (3.29 MB, 1280x1440)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB PNG
>>802159
some of my friends use bryce from daz3d (pic related)
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/68441/bryce-render-challenge-surreal-worlds-we-have-winners
its often on sale

it might also be smart to research ways of recreating the look in blender, since it's become so extendable.
>>
>>802159
>I'd rather use a program from the era instead of trying to force a modern program and renderer in to results like this
Good luck dealing with drivers on an old OS. I understand what you want, but you must consider this factor, anon.
>>
>>802177
Not really an issue. Old versions of 3D Studio MAX, Maya, Lightwave, Animation:Master, Poser, Bryce or VUE work well on never versions of Windows.
>>
File: SHIT RENDER.jpg (194 KB, 960x540)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
>>802159
Look we have this thread every fucking day lmao you don't have to use old software to achieve that look.

Major 3D softwares still have their renderer from 90s (Maya Software, 3dsmax Scanline, C4D Software renderer without GI) Here you go I made this shit in like a minute.
>>
>>802194
soulless
>>
Sorry nerds. Thanks for the replies though.
>>
>>802295
You're welcome pisshead. See you next week.
>>
>>802159
Use the Symbolics Graphics System
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4HXPJtym2Q
>>
File: random-smbx-lispm.jpg (57 KB, 768x512)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>802303
Good luck finding a running 3600 series workstation. Even more impractical than getting a capable SGI machine with all the software.
>>
>>802166
post your bleeding edge work then you literal homosexual gay
>>
File: 1495291504306.gif (417 KB, 640x480)
417 KB
417 KB GIF
>>802159

> OP has never seen a ray tracer before
>>
>>802305
that monitor has autism
>>
>>803565
Upright was actually better for administrative/server stuff
>>
>>802159
I want to make something like this, kinda like Area 51 or Maximum Force
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odp0vkk7Hbk
Now who's gonna act in my POS lightgun game
>>
>>803726
Good god that's ugly as hell.
I thought the stopped churning out visual obminations like that by the end of the 5th gen.
>>
>>803734
Suck the shit out of my asshole, jogger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>802194
Blender doesn't
>>
>>803802
yet another reason i'm beginning to think blender is actually shit after all
>>
generally the older cg stuff was using ray tracing. i'm not really familiar with the style of the example you posted; it looks anachronistic
>>
>>803726
you can literally just use blender to do this
>>
>>803802
It has its work bench renderer
>>
>>803726
Created by the legendary Eugene Jarvis, the mind behind Defender, Robotron, Smash TV, Cruisin USA, Area 51 and Maximum Force.

>>803856
Or he could use something non-retarded.
>>
>>802159
Anim8or has been around since 1999 or something. iirc it is not user friendly /at all/ though.

https://www.anim8or.com
>>
>>802159
single bounce raytracer with MSAA, phong shading, gamma-space lighting, and normal maps. Any motivated retard (read: no education background beyond highschool required) could probably code one up from scratch in a weekend.
it's not magic you know.
>>
>>804773
>normal maps
No.
>>
>>804781
you're going to tell me that huge plane of water going to the horizon is made of geometry? normal maps have been around since the dawn of graphics.
>>
>>804805
>you're going to tell me that huge plane of water going to the horizon is made of geometry?
Yes it is you absolute fucking retard. A simple plane with a bump map on it.
>normal maps have been around since the dawn of graphics.
Nope. They showed up in 3D programs after 2000 or so, 20 years after the dawn of graphics.
>>
>>804813
bump maps are normal maps you retard. how do you think bump maps get converted into lighting calculation? what showed up in the 2000s was detail baking.
>>
File: BRICKBMP.gif (2 KB, 145x104)
2 KB
2 KB GIF
>>804805
We only had grey scale bump maps until around 1999/2000 when the technique got adapted from papers into actual working shaders. 2003 saw the introduction into real time applications, making normal mapping known to a wider audience.

An alternative was to use procedural textures as bump maps, which worked well for natural surfaces like water or rock.
>>
>>804814
Silence. You don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>804814
Another zoomer fuckwit thinking bump and normal maps are the same.
>>
>>804814
Shut up noob. Its the other way around.
Normal maps are upgraded bump maps that allow for light calculation with a vector encoded in the RGB channels.
Bump maps are 2 directional, up or down.
>>
>>804814
but that's wrong
>>
blender supports external renderers, you know? if you just absolutely do not want to use one of the built-in ones.

just pick the one you want to work with, and disable as many features as necessary
>>
>>804855
which one is a scanline renderer?
>>
>>805705
None.
>>
>>804824
>>804845
>>804847
>>804848
>>804850
kek. yet more evidence that artists don't understand the tools they work with. the gradient of a grayscale bump map IS a normal map, and the idea of distorting surface normals on flat geometry using textures existed well before the 2000s, before such concepts as "shaders" even existed.

Just because tangent-space rgb-encoded normal maps didn't show up in realtime graphics doesn't mean the technique of using images to perturb surface normals didn't exist in the past.

Modern shaders don't even accept bump maps, and encode them directly into their normal map form to save on texture fetches, but this was hardly a concern back before the days of programmable shaders. You actually have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>805721
Talk to the hand, buttblasted chud
>>
>>805721
I'm doing this far, far longer than you buddy. Are you even dry yet?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.