[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: freecad.jpg (122 KB, 1800x1100)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
This is for my CAD bros.
What projects are you working on?
Where are you struggling?
What software are you using?
>>
File: doorgrip.png (1008 KB, 1221x767)
1008 KB
1008 KB PNG
>>800175
I'm working on a new door grip for my car because the OEM grip is hilariously ugly.
Currently struggling with finding a cheap 3d printing service and with staying motivated to finish the damn thing.
>>
File: alias design.png (10 KB, 400x319)
10 KB
10 KB PNG
This whole software is a struggle, you can't even make a simple ball corner without losing your mind.
>>
>>800234
what the hell is a "ball corner"? :/
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (42 KB, 698x442)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>800237
literally this. lol
>>
>>800240
you just click the 3 sides to do it right? it's ez.
what are you having trouble with?
>>
>>800266
you wish it was easy like that, you blend the surfaces manually
>>
>>800175
How are you expecting to machine this?
>>
>>800681
No idea, it's just an image I pulled off Google Images because it showcased CAD as opposed to e.g. sculpting or hard surface subdivision modeling.
>>
I just started learning CAD on Inventor Pro and I now cry myself to bed every night, when does it end ?
>>
>>801505
Fusion360 is better and has EXACTLY the same learning curve but better support and more tutorials and online videos.

I learned using Autodesk Inventor.
Learning curve is STEEP, and I used to write CAD software, worked for and with engineers and know how to design for CNC.
Inventor does a 'few' more things than Fusion360 but F360 is DEFINITELY the better way to go.
What are you struggling with?
>>
>>800681
Looks like it could be milled but would sure waste a lot of a block to machine away.
3d printed in plastic would be my choice.
>>
what do we think of freecad /3/? anyone used it?
>>
>>801902
I'm using it to learn FEM analysis
It seems a little cluttered and unorganized right now but hopefuly that's just because I don't really know what I'm doing.
>>
anyone tried moi3d? I think im in love for the first time in my life.
>>
>>802697
My first NURBS based modeling tool, excellent for anything but complex surfaces.
>>
File: Capture.png (359 KB, 941x1075)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
Im working on a custom key switch that has 6 "inputs". Currently, it's a bit too wide to implement into my custom keyboard im making but I got the idea down.
Using Inventor Pro, the white mans CAD
>>
File: Capture2.png (579 KB, 929x903)
579 KB
579 KB PNG
>>802829
a cut-shot
>>
>>801505
Stay with inventor and don't give up. It is much better than solidworks.
>>
>>802829
>>802830
A keyboard like that would seem very impractical and insanely hard to learn, /g/ would love this and shower you with money.
>>
>>802835
It's for arthritis. Having fewer "keys" will lessen finger movement dramatically. With practice, typing speed will increase for the same reason. The learning curve will be massive I agree.
>>
File: image_20210222003925.png (95 KB, 685x617)
95 KB
95 KB PNG
Learning FreeCAD here's my hearing
>>
>>804401
ball bearing
>>
>>804401
>>804403
Autodesk Inventor is free. Just say you are a student. No proof required.
>>
>>800176
Is 3d printing really that expensive? You might as well just make it out of wood desu... Using a cnc machine ofc or by hand doesn't matter.
>>
>>800569
Can't u just cut a sphere and snap it there?
>>
File: disgusting_cat.jpg (6 KB, 217x232)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>804429
>willingly tying yourself to an Autodesk product

>>804442
I uploaded the grip to be printed with ~2mm thickness and no internal structure at all and the cheapest option that wouldn't melt inside a car was PA12 Nylon at ~€100, per grip - without any internal structure it would absolutely need. I won't pay $200 for two plastic parts so I'll most likely have to create a mold, laminate the outer surface with fiberglass and then use casting resin for inner structures. I haven't calculated exactly how expensive that'd be but I figure the material for one grip would then come in at around 25-35€.
>>
>>801902
I used it once to design rc car steering system. ditched it cause it crashes often.
>>
If I 3d print an axel & rod what size should the rod be compared to the axel if I want it to be a snug fit? 1mm less diameter? or...?
>>
>>804538
Same size on axel and hole. Sand the axel until it fits. This will guarantee the hole not being too big.
>>
do any of you guys know where i can get a newer version of moi 4 than the beta of january 2020? its the newest i see on cgp
>>
File: 2.jpg (376 KB, 2140x1656)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
Electric actuator from the 80s that I worked on last year. Sadly it was never finished. Too much electronics and don't have the rest of the drawings for it. This is in Inventor btw.
>>
File: 3.jpg (141 KB, 1392x764)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>806427

I also worked briefly in SW last year and picked up this year. Some exercise with a bit of basic rendering which I want to explore more.

Job searching sucks these days and I wish I could come up with some good ideas to put in my portfolio. When I see other people's work on YT and grabcad I feel like a loser who is never gonna make it.
>>
>>800176
what 3d scanner are you using?
>>
File: DSC_0668.jpg (3.22 MB, 2992x2000)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
>>808201
I have a Nikon D3300 I use to take photos (although really any camera will do as long as it can take a series of photos in rapid succession), then I process the images using Meshroom.

For this scan in particular I took 200 photos, pic related is one of them.
The secret to the surface quality is the white stuff. It's corn starch mixed with water, I use a sponge to tap it onto the surface for detailed, high contrast patterns which Meshroom can pick up later. It's cheap, doesn't hurt or interact with car paint or other surfaces and you can wash it off with some water when you're done.
>>
>>808204
Shit, you drive like that bro?
>>
>>809694
Not sure what you mean - I remove the starch with some water after scanning.
>>
File: b6c.png (182 KB, 680x680)
182 KB
182 KB PNG
>>
>>808204
You can use talcum powder for that. Apply it with a fine sponge. Cleans off better.

I used that when I was doing actual model building (before digital) and we prepared miniatures for filming on motion control rigs. The miniatures were taken from our shop to Image G in Valencia CA for filming. We dulled them down with talcum powder for pulling mattes against red backgrounds. Helped with spill and reflections.
>>
>>810973
blender has no place here
>>
>>810973
>t. doesn't understand what's expected of CAD software
>>
>>810987
>>810997
blender can do everything "parametric" trash can do and more
enjoy your snail's pace workflow
>>
>>811004
kek
>>
>>811004
lmao imagine being in automotive and doing shit in blender
>>
>>811007
>click "make sketch"
>go to click on surface
>whoops there is something in the way
>maneuver the camera for 2 minutes
>finally click on model
>make your sketch
>go to extrude
>no valid loops
>go back and realize 2 lines are just not connected for no reason
>fix it
>go to extrude
>"Create extruded feature failed"

VS

>enter edit mode
>click surface
>press e
>>
>>811009
lmao he’s actually making extrudes
>>
>>811010
huh?
>>
>>811013
Making extrudes is a bit like saying you’re painting when you’re coloring with crayons. People aren’t paying for Catia and NX licenses to do basic extrusions and revolves. Real CAD that you need real tools for is surfacing, which involves creating a book of sections and a ton of development.
>>
>>811009
Yep, it's a brainlet.
>>
>>811004
No it can't and you know it.
>>
>>804445
>using freecad
>>
>>810985
Thank you Anon, I'll try that.
>>
>>804401
>>804403
How do you assemble the balls into the bearing? Do you press them in with your fingers?
>>
>>811040
>Using Windows or MacOS
ngmi
>>
>>800175
Fusion360 or give up and blow away.
Been using AutoDesk products for years, but moved from Inventor after years and found Fusion360 simpler but lacking a few 'minor' yet HUGE things I still miss; like being able to reference values that are the results of calculations and in-design geometry rather than things I could know beforehand.
Although in Fusion360 the CAM tools seem to do the job.
>Everything free is useless; everything useful is expensive
Welcome to the real world.
>struggling?
Nope.
Just completed an interesting project that was supposed to be 'a one-week job just out of curiosity' that took me 6 months.

>what do?
I design things that get made in a 9-figure plant and have to work or I owe someone my house, one of my daughters and a kidney.
So far, things I have designed have worked... apart from that ONE time one didn't and luckily someone else got blamed for it and fired and two years later took a golf club to his wife's face.
No stress.
NONE AT ALL!
NO STRESS HERE!
>>
>>811254
The balls in ALL such bearings can be pressed in.
It's the cage that holds them in and the cage is supposed to hold itself in.
>>
>>811264
>'a one-week job just out of curiosity' that took me 6 months.
this is every project
>>
>>811267
lewd
>>
Can any Solidworksbros help me out?
I was given a file I should do some work on.
All the "parts" in it are features, with these blue icons I've not seen before.
When I try to edit any of them, it just tells me to locate the original file for the feature.
Can I somehow just force SW to turn them into editable workable bodies?
>>
File: step.jpg (34 KB, 811x451)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>811822
it's a step file. When opening the file does it ask you to run diagnostics and feature recognition afterwards like pic. related? After clicking yes, you should be able to edit the part like you do normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292CRndUJss
>>
>>811913
Yeah, it does ask.
However the mess I was given has overlapping solids, causing featureworks to not do much.
>>
>>800175
>What projects are you working on?
A slider that broke on my gf's """gaming chair"""
>Where are you struggling?
Everything?
>What software are you using?
Fusion360
>>
File: 2.jpg (286 KB, 1800x1100)
286 KB
286 KB JPG
>>800681
this is perfectly machinable, you just would about 5 setup operations, and a v block.
I could make OP's print in a day on a prototrak.
the only part that looks remotely challenging is this recessed slot, but I could get at it easy enough with a slitting saw.
>>
>>800175
How likely is it a 9001 auditor will enquire about my CAD licences?
pls help im scared
>>
>>808204
Aesub blue costs 30€.
>>
File: 350Z_Scan.png (1.14 MB, 1920x1080)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB PNG
>>812956
I appreciate your suggestion, but it's insufficient for photogrammetry. You don't just need a matte surface, you need a high contrast non-repeating pattern to get good surfaces. Starch is $2/kg, a kg lasts forever.
>>
What do I need to learn CAD?
>>
>>815882
masochistic tendencies
>>
>>815882
money / job
>>
>>815921
why?
>>
How easy is it to self teach this? I'm a physics brainlet who never got to work with it.
>>
File: 1446058853058.jpg (101 KB, 1024x904)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>815882
CAD software would be a start.
>>816461
>physics
>never got to work with it.
I don't think you have what it takes.
>>
Creo Parametric is has such fucking cancer controls jesus
>>
>>812425
This is one of those cute things they use to teach students.
Just as a though experiment, if I was making this in reality I’d break it into three pieces, so you’d wind up with a piece of flat bar as the base with some countersunk holes for screws, then the other two pieces are that big chamfered chunk on the end and the vertical part on the other. Drill and tap some holes and this is really easy to manufacture. Not sure how many places are selling 20mm thick material though but hey that’s a question for steel sales not for me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.