[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 16 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vst/ - Video Games/Strategy

New boards: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG/vmg/ - Video Games/Mobile

File: thonk.gif (174 KB, 220x220)
174 KB
174 KB GIF
Are Low poly models with nice painted textures, the only realistic style for indie solo developers budget?

Like what's the AAA style that still is realistic for a single developer time/money budget?
>>
Uh, no. It's like you're specifically targeting me for making an AAA graphics game solo. Anything is possible as long as you are fast and good. I am faster than the normal loser poo poo character artist so I can crank out a full character sculpt a day, with polypaint, ss, xyz alpha texturing included. I then take a second day to refine everything and leave the character bald and nude. Then I transfer skin weights over with little effort as I already plotted out the entire complexity of the skinning beforehand for male and female master rigs. I cut the character up into pieces, import into ue4, and then make one set of clothing in a few hours with accessories, also cut up in a modular fashion. It takes around three or four days to have an AAA character (minus hair and multiples sets of clothing) pushed out because I already created my busts and body bases ahead of time. I already know most things on how to refine the look and I come from a lighting background so it's easy for me to get something that looks exceptional in UE4. But I work 14 hours a day while enjoying every second of my life, sitting at a computer making virtual people and environments. I am quite literally autistic. I would imagine that for a normal character artist burnout happens, insecurity happens, and they likely want a social life or need to worry about money/job. I sit in my room all day making pretty characters because to me that's fun. I sit in my room all day making concept art and pretty environments because to me that's fun. I sit in my room all day and assuage my ego with art because to me that's fun. Pursue any avenue you want as long as you are better and superior to your peers. The problem I currently face that I don't even consider a problem is that I make a basic prototype and then leave it to make a new prototype that has caught my eye. You can probably find me on Youtube pooping out examples if you try hard enough but the point here is that you can do anything.
>>
eh it depends
you're probably not gonna make a big ass open world rpg with hundreds of characters in 10 years but on the other end, one of those shitty horror escape games where the entire level is just the inside of a house should be pretty easy
>>
>>759440
>It's like you're specifically targeting me for making an AAA graphics game solo
>>
>>759411
Most indies making 3D games are barely using textures at all, especially when it comes to solo developers. There are very few one man shows who get very far with anything other than low res sprites, or flat-shaded 3D.

Not surprising, as for a solo dev, nothing remotely AAA is even remotely viable for you..
>>
Pretty much low poly with simple shaders (no textures), but if you'd like to pursue a more realistic style I think the best option would be mid-poly + trimsheet workflow with premade textures (Megascans) that you tweak a bit in Mixer or SP. Definitely slower than the first one, but much better result. Important thing is to not do any unique assets where the workflow is SubD - baking - unique texture in SP because that is slow as fuck.
>>
>>759457
Seen a load of poly art from indies this year. Dont know how the guy above does it but a modern AAA character would take at least a month to produce. You then have to make environments to the same quality and it would take about 2 years alone to make just the art. You have to get to a quality level where it takes just a day for a character and that usually means loads of modularity or flat shaded stuff.
>>
>>759505
> Dont know how the guy above does it but a modern AAA character would take at least a month to produce. You then have to make environments to the same quality and it would take about 2 years alone
Easy, he probably has pretty low standards and his work isn't nearly as good as an actual AAA content. Or he maybe just uses lots of premade assets and just mashes them together, like you would do with Megascans assets. But even then you'd still spend days or weeks if you want to make a proper AAA environment.
>>
>>759505
>>759509
>>759512
I detailed it in my post, it's not hard to follow along and understand the how to if you're already a character artist. By using perfected basemeshes for the male and female only tweaking and the head creation is all that's needed. I took the time to create a bunch of different body "morphs", which are just preset sculpts I made ahead of time, and then choose which one feels the best for that characters body. Start a head from a sphere or a base mesh head for White, Black, Yellow, Brown phenotypes (again preset sculpts already made), and you can make a new character sculpt in a single day, alongside the polypaint/xyz stamping (incredibly simple and easy to do once you've done the workflow once), and pushing out an SS shader that looks good enough in UE4. This process is NOT hard and it shouldn't taken you an exorbitant amount of time to make your characters physical bodies.The accessories, hair, and equipment however will take time as they're all unique assets that can't be immediately tweaked. But if you've used Marvelous Designer at all you would know that making clothing that looks good as a base takes an hour or two at most. Bringing that into zBrush using cloth brushes makes it as simple as dropping a preset smart material on it to call it done. I would argue this gets you to 95% of the way to AAA.

The more base mesh phenotypes you've made the easier this becomes. Transferring skin weights is a joke and once you've created a functioning, in-depth rig it's all about tweaking to reapply the intricate bones that have to be placed manually/heavily edited (face and breasts/hips). The actual character with one set of clothing takes 3-4 days TOPS if you're really trying (minus hair as that is still something I feel like I could get better at).

I guess I will say this: If you aren't skilled this will all seem impossible and you will be butthurt.
>>
>>759509
(cont)
The one thing you are right about is on making proper AAA environments. It is difficult to make brand new levels with premade assets, but it is still easy to cut down on the work that needs to be done with procedural application. UE4 has a very powerful blueprint capability of allowing highly customizable procedural systems that on the fly can be tweaked for new environments. Things like crowd controllers, streets and city layouts based on svt data, and modular buildings with interior layouts are all plausible due to the visual scripting library that is Blueprints. There is a way to make immediate blockouts of everything you need based on masks and actual concept art using depth masks but I figure you don't need to know that.
>>
>>759512
You don't need tripcodes when your posts and this consistently trash. Crawl back to whatever shithole you came from, your posts are too retarded even for 4chan.
>>
>>759411
>indie solo developers budget
What budget? Bitch, your only investment is time. Unless you put time aside to do solo dev as your main job with no income (which is retarded), your "budget" is only the amount of time you wish to invest to get the result you want.
Which means you can do whatever the fuck you want in terms of quality.
Pretty sure that game with the mouse was a completely solo game, Ghost of a Tale iirc.
And there's a game coming out on PS5 that's "AAA", but apparently done by a single Chinaman dev. I don't really believe that, but that's the story they're spinning.

The reason you see so many low-fidelity assets and stuff among indie devs, is they lack the time and skill to do better. It's not often you find a game dev that's skilled in both programming and art. It happens, but it's rare, and one facet usually takes a hit (might be better at programming than art, or the other way around). Which means they have to pay others to do art, which, because money is the budget now, they can't afford to do much. Which loops back into the fact that indie models can't really reach AAA "quality" (which has been lacking lately, but still).

If you're by yourself doing your own thing, all that matters is how long you want to spend polishing that one thing.
>>
>>759440
>>759646
>>759648
Go for a long walk, Reflect on the size of your ego,, You're not autistic, nor are you a brilliant artist (misunderstood, perhaps, you say to yourself?). You are just an asshole with a hobby.
Now get your pre-planning 1-man delusion out of here
>>
>>759652
All I can say is
>If you aren't skilled this will all seem impossible and you will be butthurt.
>>
>>759653
post your work
>>
>>759701
>>>/ic/
>>
>>759742
>>
>>759411
Just steal a model change the color and call it yours.
>>
>>759411
I have ripped models straight out of AAA titles.

They're not exactly what you would high fidelity meshes.

Polys cost more computing power than height mapping. So they make high poly models, bake the lighting and height maps, then reduce the polys for commercial release.

I get what you're saying though. A lot of indie games are created specifically with low poly meshes. I guess it's like, an aesthetic, to show that it really is indie.

If an indie developer tries too hard, then it just comes off as a poor imitation.
>>
>>759411
Don't listen. Most indie devs are lazy shits and use poor quality as an excuse. I'm well into my solo game and it's practically AAA quality.
Completely do-able.
>>
>>759814
well said

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.