[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 31 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

New board: /vrpg/ - Video Games/RPG

In every thread about Maya and Max, in every 3D related video, all you see are comments claiming Blender murders Max and Maya. Many such commenters claim to be former Max and Maya users who switched to Blender.

Is Blender actually that good? If not, why is there so much hype for it?
>>
Yes. Just look how threatened it makes people feel here.
>>
>>759211
Why not try it out for yourself?
>>
>>759220
I did... back in 2001. Blender was my first 3D package, and it does hold a special place in my heart. Blender could fit on a floppy disk, yet it had radiology before 3DS Max. I moved to Max and Maya and haven’t looked back, but I am interested in trying Blender now. I just wonder if the hype is trustworthy.
>>
>>759222
Radiosity*

I did always think it was embarrassing that Blender tried to tackle GI before Max (with its old shitty scanline)
>>
This is such an easy question to formulate an answer to and it gets asked very often. In fact, I'm pretty sure there was one yesterday just like it.

Look at the blenderartists.org featured gallery*. When you click on a work, read to see what software they used. Blender has to be used somewhere in the workflow to be featured. Do you think Blender was able to fulfill the role that it played?

If you don't think so, then Blender is not valuable to you. If you do, then maybe it is. At that point you should try it and see what you think. If you still can't make a decision for yourself, then maybe you should be humbled by the enormous variety that is available to you rather than questioning what of it should have worth.

*https://blenderartists.org/tags/featured
>>
standalone? hell no.
with all the various addons from cgp? hell yeah
>>
>>759211
>>759222
Literally nothing has been stopping you all this time to spend a full minute downloading it and starting to play around with it. Then you wouldn't have to make yet another shitty Blender thread which will cause yet another software war sooner or later.

And basically this:
>>759241

It's not better, but it's pretty damn good (with some necessary addons) and much much cheaper, especially for freelancers like me.
>>
I use blender, maya and 3ds max.

They're all good.

But what brings me back to blender every time is the simplicity.

It's not a bad thing. I can jump straight in and rough out a few ideas.

Another good factor is the community. Anyone can make useful addons for it, and they're really easy to install. So I end up using it for importing a lot of .pmx .xps and just about anything else. Then I can export it for my other software.

Due to the fact that it's free, more people have access to it, and so you also find a lot of useful tutorials online. There are a whole host of "follow along" modelling tutorials on youtube, and even if they only teach you how to use blender, they're transferable skills that you can take with you to other platforms.
>>
blender is the best
>>
>>759211
>Is Blender as amazing as its users claim?
some workflows are horrible, mostly in rigging animation, but it could work as replacement of maya/max, ofc you'll need painter/mixer, zbrush, houdini, MD etc....
>>
>>759222
>Radiosity
big deal, some tools had that 2 years earlier
>>
>>759211
Blender is good, but to say it "murders MAX and Maya" is pure bullshit coming from retarded 12 year olds who just discovered 3D art and have never used any other software.
Blender has come a long fucking way over the years though, and for OS software it's pretty amazing, but using it there are still all sorts of little niggling things, where you know you should be able to do something easily, but Blender just doesn't work that way.
At least they've made it less different, back in the old days it was annoying as fuck hearing retarded Blender users being all 'akshually blender's way is far superior" my ass it's superior.

tl;dr Blender is good (though not amazing) but the community is trash.
>>
>>759222
lmao Blender in 2001 was absolute trash, seriously. Back in the late 90s through turn of the century I was heavy into 3D and used pretty much anything I could get my hands on. Blender was *extremely* lackluster, even compared to consumer stuff like Ray Dream (I guess it was Carrera by then?) or Nendo. MAX R4 easily BTFO Blender, especially with something like Brazil or VRAY
>>
>>759274
>Ray Dream
>Carrara
It's Carrara now, some key people worked on both. I also doubt Carrara was updated in many years.
>>
>>759211
>>759222
You really aren't missing on anything
>>
>>759272
But it does murder Max and Maya. Are we still on this level of cope?
>>
>>759373
>cope
lol what? It doesn't but even if it did it literally doesn't matter. It's free, any one can use it. Using software A does not in any way prevent you from using software B. That kind of brand-whore fanboy-ism is retarded.
>>
File: 1m4z98.jpg (26 KB, 550x550)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>759373
wth it doesn't.
>>
File: furball.png (98 KB, 250x242)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
yes, especially the old version (2.79b)

i run a youtube channel (podcasts+videos) with just using blender. its an absolute workhorse especially if you have sufficient RAM to support higher resolutions.

the new version is ok, but its buggy af. especially when it comes down to heavy grunt-work. i don't want my software to fuck up when im 98% through a project.

but again, don't be fooled into thinking that blender is equivalent of 300$ software package that comes with pre-made shit, you have to create everything from scratch.
>>
>>759373
Baiting still this late in the night, I see?
>>
>>759400
>especially the old version (2.79b)

The old version is outdated. The new version is better in any ways imaginable.
>>
>>759211
it's the future
it will eclipse everything else
still not gonna use it
>>
>>759403
well yeah but the 4 viewport bullshit is annoying. i don't want to preview my model in 100 different ways, i only care about the functionality. besides the controls are gigafucked for some reason
>>
>>759402
How about you shut the fuck up bitch
>>
>>759419
Make me. I have more polygons than you can handle, blendlet.
>>
>>759417
You can configure the viewport you brainlet
>>
>>759211
I'm a casual but I think Blender is much quicker and more intuitive to use compared to Max
>>
Its incredible to have such a powerful software be completely free. Almost utopian
>>
It's a alright application for everything, unlike other applications which are excellent at one thing
>>
>>759211
>>Z IS UP

no thanks
>>
>>759752
Z is down in aviation and up in CNC.
Why do 3D purefags need to be so special?
>>
>>759417
>the 4 viewport bullshit is annoying
Me every time I middle click in C4D.
>>
>>759272
>community is trash
Well the community is actually really nice, minus the retards that just want to start pointless flamewars.
But that his true for every community.
>>
>>759755
It's the right thing to do
>>
>>759243
>Literally nothing has been stopping you all this time to spend a full minute downloading it and starting to play around with it
WRONG! Stop trying to burn people! Industry cuck!
>>759211
Blender is great for modeling (I only do video game assets) however it requires you to memorize keyboard shortcuts this is a good thing since it will boost productivity.

However going into blender with no tutorials is a exercise in the most bizarre way possible only challenged by being thrown into a custom made non standard command line interface.

Blender requires you learn lost of things and you need to watch hundreds of hours of tutorials to understand how it works and experiment with it.

The biggest hurdle is that most of the tutorials are surface level meaning they don't explain the deep shit, get ready to literally peace together knowledge from separate channels and videos and literally watch blender speed modeling tutorials in 0.10 speed to see what these cunts are actually doing.

After you master it its great you can fart out game ready assets in 1h.

However the learning curve is steep.

>Is Blender actually that good?
I literally only know blender and tried some poser like program however gave up on how un-intuitive and shit the posing of characters was. There was practically no YT tutorials so I simply gave up. I literally begged for blenders posing tools within minutes.

The learning curve of 3D programs is steep be warned. You can not simply start doing shit this is not 2D drawing.
However once you master it you feel like a god.
>>
>>759752
>>759755
Imagine it like this look at the floor make one side X and the other Y (it doesn't fucken matter what you chose) now you drawing on XY is you working in 2D step up and you have Z.

Its really that simple. That's not really a problem since you will be rotating all over the place simply look at the colors in 2.8x to see where X Y and Z are you dumb shit.

What really tripped people up was how blender pre 2.8x did flip standard UI muse inputs.

You are rotating all over the place either way.
2.8x is superior in every way to previous blenders.
>>
>>759752
Z is up in every modern game engine you dolt

p.s. Unity isnt a modern game engine
>>
>>760140
Based as fuck
>>
>>759739
Before you start believing that utopias exist, blender gets a majority of their money from corporations who have a vested interest in it's continued development. It's basically how any adobe product works. They know their shit gets pirated to hell, but the industry pays out the nose to keep x product supported.
>>
>>760140
this
here's every AAA game thats been made with unity:
>>
It's not bad
>>
>>760159
keep it open source 100% free for all the blender users looking to master 3d we got motion tracking, sculpting, rigging, tons of animation epic games with the clutch with that 1.2 donation used to be right click select, weirdest UI in the town rendering with cycles engine and pathtracing all around got a boot-up time of something like .00 seconds calling you out right now Pablo as my favorite blender legend know a lot of people spouting that they have no time for nodes but the best way to do things is with that procedural workflow company that can't be named must be going through a crisis how could anyone sell Max with a 1500 yearly license we got blendernation, blender guru, blendermarket got features out the wazoo and the money in our pocjet if you just finished that render and you really wanna rock-it then head over to the fund and contribute to the not-for-profit so that is going to be fund.blender.org that is where you're going to donate everything you own again that's fund.blender.org donate everything you own Andrew Price you best believe I'm coming for you next became a hot-shot from a donut now you're thinking you're the best you know that series is outdated in this age of 2.8 and now I'm going to plug your company because I think you're great if you need PBR textures poliigon is where you'll go but if you want to stick with nodes CGMatter is your bro
>>
>>760162
take your meds
>>
>>760162
Good shit post schizo anon.
>>
>>760162
>CGMatter
what's with CGMatter that it always attracts the most deranged individuals?
>>
>>760239
There is this total esoteric idea floating around since millennia, that in order to get a certain thing/person/whatever you have to become like that thing/person/whatever so that you attract it/them to you.
>>
>>760252
Now the question is who wanted to approach the other first...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.