[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 124150850.gif (761 KB, 400x400)
761 KB
761 KB GIF
How do I become a pro at texturing? I just learn the basics but how do I learn to make good textures? I'm trying to 3D model a school right now and I want to put my own take on it but idk how
>>
>>754718
learn to draw
>>
It's hard and takes a lot of time, tryhard and go through every tutorial / course /masterclass you can find. There's not a simple answer. I only scratched the surface in 3 years I've been doing 3D.

Lots of good content on ArtStation Learning, Gnomon Workshop, CGMA and occasional YouTube video.

Only 1 thing I can say is to always create enough variation in color and roughness across the surface, but don't overdo it. Gather a bunch of photo references and pay close attention to every detail, try to understand material properties and how they change over lifetime of an object.
>>
File: ca4efb5da23b0570.png (509 KB, 1217x1346)
509 KB
509 KB PNG
>>754718
My general rule of thumb is: if it doesn't look good enough, it's because you haven't added enough Layers.
>>
>>754718
Learn to draw.
>>
File: 1446472268008.png (162 KB, 482x600)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
>>754718
OP, you can learn to draw as people have suggested, or you can just use substance.
>>
I feel kind of guilty joking about substance like that, it's a nice tool, but please don't just buy it expecting to be able to texture. Even if you do, it's not all that. And it takes a lot of time to get this good whatever you use, and if you're modelling, you're spending less of your life working with images so you won't progress as quickly (still slowly).

That being said, nothing in that school hasn't been made before, so if there's something that you don't know how to draw, just do a simple search.
>How to draw tile floors
>how to draw wood furniture
>how to draw a patio
Will get you hundreds of step by step guides by pajeets for every software under the sun, and dozens by others. You don't need to be a pro to have passably pro results. When you look at tutorials, you take that knowledge, mix with what you already know, and put your own take it, as you put it. Your pro-ness increases every time you struggle like this, and every time you gain some little skill to add to your collection that'll get used again in the future. The things you learn making the textures for that school, you can apply elsewhere in different ways.
>>
>>754727
Well organized PS layers with with colours is my fetishs, nicely done mate
>>
>>754727
Autism
>>
File: D--bRvFWsAAZKPl.jpg (118 KB, 1036x1200)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>754718
You play warhammer anon? You should, get out meet people (well other NEET at least) chuck some dice. Maybe not the whole army thing but like Warcry or Killzone.

Anyway doing that as a hobby has allowed me to see the paint color interaction on the figure without really dealing with all the technical bits. It's kinda like no pressure fun texturing, just remember to thin those paints.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.