[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 45 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: questionThread.jpg (466 KB, 1200x1200)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
>Will mastering /3/ help me get popular with the ladies?
>If there is a Z-brush is there a X and Y brush?
>Does sculpting in blender make one a better person?
>If my skin is turning bluish am I normal?

Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread.

prev thread: >>743647
>>
File: reddit_frog.jpg (23 KB, 300x300)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Should I make a skeleton every time I make an organic character to eliminate guess work [2]
>>
File: skeleton.jpg (407 KB, 1448x851)
407 KB
407 KB JPG
>>752446
It's not necessary to make a skeleton everytime but it can be a very good idea to try it out while you're still learning.
Having anchor points and fitting a skeleton inside your model can help you figure out misshapen volumes angles and aid in clearing up your own
ideas about how something is structured. In the past I've explored this on my own as it made a lot of sense to me at the time.

Before I picked up 3D I was a self-taught half competent 2D artist (kid who never stopped drawing type) I mainly did simplified 'roboskeleton' manga type art.
my sense of shapes and curves where pretty refined but since I mainly only did figure drawing my surface anatomy was very lacking.
Once my skills had grown to the point I felt drawn towards going for less stylized depictions of creatures I started to run into all kinds of problems.

Doing stuff like pic related back in the day helped me iron out a lot of my misconceptions about the human body.
It was not enough however and more of the spark of what eventually pushed me into realizing I need to take anatomy seriously
and set out to deliberately study how we're put together to gain a more satisfactory understanding of the body.
>>
>>752424
is it possible to make money in 3d if you're a non degenerate aka non commie aka non sjw aka non blm etc..?
>>
how do 3d modelers who print their work to sell do it? aren't 3d printers like, really rough?
>>
>>752470
wow very detailed answer thanks
>>
>>752493
If you're apolitical you won't have a problem but if you align yourself with facist ideals that approaches the alt-right or nazi /pol/tardery
you will become treated like a pariah by industry insiders.

Aesthetic people are overwhelmingly humanitarian and the entertainment industry as a result is very much left leaning.
The fact you talk about leftists in terms of being 'commi/sjw' is sorta revealing to what kind of sentiments you hold.
Unless you kept such cards very close to your chest you'd end up against powerful people that would not hesitate to sabotage you given opportunity.
>>
Is it enough to learn Maya and Solidworks to gain basic skills needed to apply for normal boring modeling jobs in factories/companies? I'm talking about boring technical jobs modeling bolts, molds, exhausts, bicycles etc, nothing fancy like being a designer. I work as a call center agent now so I guess any jobs albeit boring will be better than my current job really
>>
>>752424
>If there is a Z-brush is there a X and Y brush?
Well, is there?
>>
File: 672.jpg (82 KB, 1039x1200)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
Where can I download nude skins? It seems like every website I used to visit to download models has basically been purged of any and all NSFW content.
>>
File: yesNkinda.jpg (107 KB, 1060x384)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>752510
Yes and kinda.
>>
>>752512
please ..... go back....
>>
>>752526
Why?
>>
>>752509
You probably also need an engineering background, learning 3d isn't enough to design it's just a medium
>>
How do I decide if I should composite a rain in a shot or use actual particle systems in a scene? It's for 3D and not filmed footage.

What are the benefits of each? Is mixing both a thing, so for example I have particles close to the camera and composite rain in the background? I would definitely do everything in a scene for closeups, but not sure what to do with wider shots.

The thing is that I'd also want rain creating small "waterfalls" on roofs and I think that would be easier to place correctly in 3D. Also, I've seen things like these

https://twitter.com/Mrdodobird/status/1276422592069419010

where it's possible to achieve some of these effects with cards. This shit is crazy, but I'm not sure if it could work with rain because there's a lot of transparency inbetween raindrops, would be hard to mask it I assume.

I need so many variations of rain for different shots, I want a general rain, rain creating wetmaps on the ground, rain splashes, raindrops sliding down a slope, rain pouring from a roof, raindrops hanging for a while and then dropping and ripples on a surface of a pond.

This was my plan:
>actual rain particles for a general rain and "waterfalls"
>shader for rain ripples on a pond and rain sliding down the slope
>transparent textures spawning on the ground for rain splashes
>not sure about hanging raindrops, I even thought about placing them and animating them manualy because there wouldn't be too much of them nor would they be visible in all shots, and it seems easier to achieve than trying to figure out how to make surface tension work, seems like a complex task

No compositing involved atm. Is this a good workflow?
>>
In tpose, do I do my legs completely straight, or do I do them naturally bent somewhat? I'll be animating this walking, so nothing complicated but I feel like this is baking animation before I've even gotten started - it's almost like a resting stand pose, and I'm not sure this slight bending is the way to go.
>>
>>752564
Modelling your character with all the limbs pre-bent to the middle of their motionrange is the best for animation if you intend to use no deformers or extra bones.
Reason you don't see this done very often (hardly ever) is it comes with other issues like making it way more difficult to create the model in the first place
more difficult to create outfit variation, texture it etc. Basically you get improved deformation at the cost of a lot of fuckery in every other area.

There is no best way of doing it and every variation has some trade-offs, I've tried all kinds of stuff including the variation described above.
My go-to after years of building character is basically the so called A-pose. In the T-pose I find it too difficult to create natural looking shoulders.
>>
>>752504
>>apolitical

that's the problem, they won't let you remain neutral.

silence is violence

fuck, well I guess I'm gonna have to go freelance then
>>
>>752587
just lie to their face when you need to and profit
>>
>>752587
How can one remain truly neutral? To me that seems impossible.
>>
>>752597
Not having an opinion about some things is the same as having an opinion. But for most topics that isn't the case.
>>
>>752587
Ya imagine working for a western AAA studio. You would have to put black lives matter in your twitter bio then you would be mee too'd for farting in a females direction.
>>
>>752424
Houdini 18 for mac!
Does anyone know how to get the crack working without disabling SIP?
If xforce is roaming around here, stop making shit cracks yeah?
>>
>>752633
Beggars can't be choosers
>>
>>752633
What's SIP?
>>
how can I make 3d models out of drawings that have angled perspectives? so far I can only make models out of 90°/180° turnaround sheets, but that means I can't use most images as a reference and can't make scenes without modeling T/A poses first. is it really a "dude just know how to do it lmao" kinda thing or are there actually tips to help pull this off?
>>
>>752654
System Integrity Protection
>>
>>752678
You view everything you see as a set of ratios you compare one thing to another to set some bounds on the size and shape of the thing you're looking at.
View the outline of the shapes themselves as well as the shapes of the empty space between them as geometric relationships that inform you about volume and distance.

You look at what can be known to be the same lenght due to the foreshortening and then you redraw/model/blockout/sculpt a rough sketch of the the thing from another angle.
Make sane corrections whereever your initial guesses are off or correct the concept itself if the geometry turns out to be impossible. Like it often is if you work from 2D concept art.
Fastest way to learn all the skills involved in this is to become enough of a concept artist yourself by learning how to draw that you understand how to go about it.

Like when you know how to draw and you sit down with a paper, to your mind it's not 2D, you are thinking about the paper as a window into a space with depth.
You are actually doing 3D when you draw, just that you can't move the camera.
>>
>>752683
>>752687
Also if it's a character figure out where all the joints are and place a pivot there and threat each limb segment
as a separate piece of geometry. Link them together into a basic skeleton.

Keep the neutral T-pose, A-pose etc at frame zero hit animate and pose your model into whatever poses you need at another frame
That way you can go instantly between posed and neutral to validate against a concept to figure out if you're on the right path.
Then you can edit your geometry in the local space of each part. Being able to edit your model while it is posed on the fly is very helpful.
>>
>>752687
>>752691
that's very insightful! thank you very much, I think it will be a lot easier if I take some objects as reference in size and perspective and then use this knowledge it as a pivot point to make broader assumptions. that's reasonable to say the least, I honestly feel kinda bad now for not have even taken this into account

>Fastest way to learn all the skills involved in this is to become enough of a concept artist yourself by learning how to draw that you understand how to go about it.
this seems about right, I often find myself confused about whether I should be drawing or modeling to improve, specially considering my end goal is 100% making good 3d art and that I don't even like drawing that much. I guess there's no way around it, specially considering how much I could benefit from it as you point out here
>Like when you know how to draw and you sit down with a paper, to your mind it's not 2D, you are thinking about the paper as a window into a space with depth.
>>
What did the japanese ultimately end up switching to after softimage died? Maya? I know zbrush is a must for high poly and maybe marvelous designer and substance painter are popular. Just wonderin if max or maya got the upper hand there.
Thinking mostly of studios like capcom or kojima prod.
>>
i know nothing of renderrers. a thread here was showcasing how fast redshift is and everyone was praising arnold's rendering quality. you see i am a dazlet. iray render is fine for me but i really wanna see how different my waifu looks in arnold or standalone renderes. now my question is why should i render using an engine other than the one within daz or the 3d package i am using. i know arnold is implemented in maya and there is a daz to maya plugin to help transfer my chars there for animation and render. your thooughts?
>>
Is anyone making living of /3/?
How is it?
>>
do i need to ask for the concept artist permission before i make the character or can i just credit him when i post it on artstation/instagram ?
>>
>>753317
If it's a small/unknown artist the polite thing is always to ask. If it's a wellknown/commercial thing you just make it and call it fan art.

That said as long as you credit the artist you'll be fine.
>>
What's the best PC build and software combination for fast and accurate physics simulations like fluids, fracture/destruction, and soft body dynamics ? i was thinking houdini with an rtx card but if there's better options, i'm open to them.
>>
>>753317
I'd say ask beforehand and make sure you say it's for learning purposes only and that you don't intend to make any money out of it
>>
Substance Painter and Designer are on sale on Steam.
They are perpetual lisences, right?
Are they worth the price for a hobbyist/modder?
>>
>>753344
Perpetual with updates only until 2021. In 2021 you would need to buy the new version if you wanted new features. I still think the program needs a lot of work and wont be finished until the mid 20's at this pace.
>>
How do I set up a scene to show off my model? 3 point lighting? What's the best way to get the background? Just a gradient colored plane? Any suggestions welcome
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 318x159)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>753456
Depends on your render engine. For vray a dome light with pic related is the best option.you could always give light studio a go if you want to edit your hdri. Just make sure if your using on you found its calibrated
>>
is there a way in zbrush to fuck with curves without using the curve brush? to get control vertices for the curve or edit points or bezier handles or whatever?

this whole"draw out a wet noodle and wiggle it around to fit" thing is driving me fucking insane. i dont mind drawing it out but its so damn finicky to edit once its on the model
>>
>>752424
is it possible to import an obj sequence into zbrush so that each obj is it's own subtool?
>>
>>753456
>3 point lighting

yes but make sure they're reasonably sized rectangular lights, look into setups that actual photographers use and just copy them. CG however also affords you infinite lights, so think less in "I need to use 3 lights" and when you see an area you think needs a highlight or some fill just add another light, world is your oyster.

You can use emission planes with textures on them to make lights that have a natural softbox falloff as well.

Also just a workflow thing is set all your lights up to track their direction to the model so you can just move them around and change position quickly.
>>
I got into modeling recently and I've been reading digital modeling by William Vaughman. My ultimate goal is to be able to make a vtuber avatar. Realistically how much time would it take to learn how to do it correctly? And to make myself clear, I am not talking about generic anime avatars, I'm talking about more diverse humanoid avatars in general.
>>
Is it possible to create brushes for substance painter in another 3d modelling program or importing from materialize?
>>
>>753855
kys
https://derpibooru.org/2327577

>>753857
YOU SHOULD BE DEAD.
>>
File: huh.webm (1.1 MB, 1280x720)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB WEBM
Brainlet and zbrush noob here trying to follow a tutorial. Does anyone know how he did this? He just sorta timelapsed through it. Something to do with polygroups from the looks of it? I'd appreciate any help.
>>
File: MLP stealth image 4.jpg (147 KB, 1920x1080)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
>>753868
HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU FAGS TO LET GO OF YOUR SHITTY TODDLER'S SHOW
>>
>>753872
HOW HARD IS IT FOR YOU FAGS TO LET GO OF YOUR SHITTY TODDLER'S SHOW
>>753871
>>
>>753875
I'd hate to imagine how you thought that posting this would be for the greater good
https://derpibooru.org/1290565
>>
>>753888
Get hanged, turd
https://derpibooru.org/2068220
https://derpibooru.org/507065
>>
>>753859
If you come from nothing, and you want it to be cute not a monstrosity, minimum 1 year, realistically 2-3
>>
File: arnoldlight.png (590 KB, 1252x480)
590 KB
590 KB PNG
Need some help anons. How do I make lights cooperate with me in Arnold? I've been trying to make this lamp work, but I'm unable to get the desired results. The front is a fairly thin mesh with transmission set to 1. Inside there is a rounded cone of reflective surface, with a point light at the end. When the light is on, the whole setup catches color from the rest of the model that's not even directly in front of it. Also, despite the light's intensity being set to 1000, it barely has any effect on anything outside its immediate surroundings. I tried different types of lights, and most are not even visible at all, tried different values for the reflective and glass surfaces, but I'm unable to get rid of the strong yellow reflection in the lamp. I also get weird artifacts on the exterior when the light is turned on, despite the fact that it's hidden behind 2 layers of mesh. Obviously there is something wrong with my approach to this, but I have no idea how to set it up correctly.
>>
Hi, I haven’t used zBrush and Maya since 2012 and wanna try it again, what’s the best source for cracks these days I don’t wanna search all those shady Russian sites
>>
>>753867
Masking mask by feature/ groups.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping#Interpreting_Tangent_Space_Maps
I clearly remember there was a section in this article where RGB values for each direction were written. I was clearly looking at it half a year ago when I was painting normal maps by hand before I started learning 3D.

It looked like (numbers are wrong because I don't remember them, that's why I opened the article today in the first place):
- 255,255,255 - front
- 127,127,0 - top-right
Nothing in changes history o_O
>>
how long should it take for one to learn the basic foundations of anatomy? i'm going at a very slow pace, been practicing the whole week and am not good enough to just practice other exercise-drawings quite yet
>>
>>754074
non-exercise drawings*
>>
>>754074
This is going to be a not so fun reality check, it could take you years to understand anatomy, at minimum to understand how mussels look, where they should go, how they change when tense or in tensed will most likely take you 6 months or more, your in a similar situation to >>753859
>>
>>754085
how do people who have just started and plan on doing this professionally cope with the long learning path? I know pretty much every field can only be mastered with years of experience and there's always going to be stuff to learn, but I wonder how long it will take me to even make solid simple drawings
>>
>>754096
>how do people who have just started and plan on doing this professionally cope with the long learning path

they're having fun while doing it. obviously not all the time, but experiencing breakthrough moments and the massive dopamine rushes they come with helps you maintain 100s of hours of motivated effort by conditioning your brain to turn frustration into anticipation.
>>
>>752424
I wanna start sculpting. I love sculpting in RL and have done a few projects for art toy companies
I wanna go into that market fully, but only after learning 3D, so here's my question:
>should i learn modeling and then sculpting?
I know a tiny bit of blender, but i wanna learn the tools in ZBrush
>Should i just go for sculpting and then try to learn what i think will be useful in 3D modeling?
I honestly just want to jump into it, i bought a display tablet for my 2D illustration freelance work and i've been wanting to learn 3D sculpting ever since, but i also don't want to be capped by not knowing 3D modeling.
I have Pavlovich couse, i haven't started it yet because i don't wanna waste my time by being a retard :/
>>
>>754109
This is a good answer but to add to it, most people really serious about this stuff start early and go to a collage or university for it, that's 3 years minimum right there of guided trading, it doesn't feel like a long time when your entire job is: student learning to draw/model
>>
>>754117
Sculpting and modeling have a little cross over, you will make some mistakes you normally wouldn't if you knew a lot about modeling but it's like painting Vs photography, your probably going to want to edit your photo later but for now you may as well just learn how to take a photo.
>>
how do you sculpt armor plates without the edges getting wavy and uneven?

is the answer just to reduce polycount and then build it back up? using a combo of trimdynamic and claw buildup and move brush, but it's hard to get crisp armor plates that i can then start sculpting details on.

maybe zmodeler? but fuck me that tool is frustrating to use.
>>
>>754308
Probably just poly model it and export to zbrush to add detail, your shouldn't really be sculpting hard surface from scratch
>>
File: frog_crying.png (212 KB, 860x602)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
How do you faggots learn to cope with being jealous of other artists who have more clout/success than you
>>
>>752424
is there any money in 3D outside of porn / sfm?

My buddy got a job only because he hounded a a small company into taking him on (and his stuff was good)
>>
File: 1593626846128.png (897 KB, 960x960)
897 KB
897 KB PNG
>>754085
This a load of shit. Entire anatomy courses from micro to macro don't even take that long.
>>
>>754367
Selling stuff for second life and VR avatars makes some money if you do it from scratch. If you're good at making anime or furry shit you can have a legit business going. Just set the price high so you avoid kids who are trying to scam you.
>>
>>754371
>If you're good at making anime or furry shit you can have a legit business going
is there still money in furry crap? I thought it'd be completely saturated by now with how public this info is
>>
>>754374
If you're talking about 2D furry shit, yes, the market is very saturated, but even there you can manage to sell stuff. I have a friend who isn't stellar at furry art yet manages to sell artwork occasionally.
If you're talking about 3D furry shit, the market is wayyyy bigger. 3D stuff is inherently harder and the difference between a bad furry model and a good furry model are so wide that if you are good at making fur and scales and whatever you legit could make yourself rich if you have a good advertisement method. 3D modeling requires a special kind of autism that not a lot of people have, so even if we speak about popular stuff like anime and furry there is a market for that stuff in 3D.
Another important thing to remember is that furries have money. We're talking about people who spend thousands on fursuits without blinking. These people WILL pay for a good 3D model, they won't be cheap bastards about it which is also another benefit of this. There's serious money to be made if you're willing to deal with that sort of autism and if you're good at this shit.
>>
>>754364
I don't get jealous on other people success and could care less about having any so called 'clout'.
I don't interact with the people I follow because they make great art, and I don't wish for followers of my own that isn't treating me that same way.
I suppose I'm not at all interested about the person behind the work, I just care about their art.
When I see work that impress me by other artists in a style I care about it fills me with energy and spurs me to work harder to improve.

If I feel like I'm procrastinating or don't really wanna put in the hours that day I like to go on Artstation or browse forum threads
highlighting WiP's by people I've consider to be the elite.

Seeing them pull away from me always lights a fire under my ass. But it isn't out of jealousy.
Real jealously is a terrible sickening feeling to experience, this is a positive emotion about being motivated and inspired to spring into action.
>>
>>754379
>furries have money

You know how car people always gotta have their car, even poor car people will have a really nice car from time to time. It's kind of like that, only they can't get a loan and it doesn't cost $10,000 in one sitting. Just take everything that's not required to live and funnel it into one thing, that's furry money.

On that note, /3/ filled with jobless because ZBrush ain't that expensive.
>>
>>754070
Check history of the article.
Are you sure you're not mistaking that for what's written on this article from a different wiki?
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Bump_map
>>
How to start a business with 3d printed models?
I want to sell action figures and shit
>>
>>754442
SEO
>>
>>754374
there is not as much money as people think there is and the idea of an artist who isn't in the furry lyfe having an interesting enough style or personality (the more well liked you are as a person the more your output is worth) to capture the market is laughable, it doesn't happen, you vanilla mofos won't make it.

Guarantee you modelers 3x more skilled than me couldn't make as much money doing 3d stuff for furries because I know what makes the dick cum in my niche.
>>
>>752504
There is a much, much, MUCH larger spectrum to being to the right of current popular positions, and muh fashism.
I guess sometimes agreeing with MRAs, as in, thinking false accusations should be a crime, etc, are opinions better kept private or shared in anonymity?
>>
>>754364
Well, simple: I know why they are more successful than me. In the art department at least (in the clout department it's because I've never produced anything I'd want to share online, and thus haven't).
The difference between them and me is that they put in the effort, I don't. Until I change that, I don't deserve to become better.
>>
are there any resources out there who teach 2D drawing for 3d modelers? Or like, are there resources here to teach how to draw simple designs? I fucking suck at drawing and I want to learn how to at least draw simple objects as reference when I'm modeling. I don't want to do anything too crazy in 2d, I just wanna know how to sketch simple designs.
>>
>>754502
the way people describe it is easily making money doing some SFM and the money comes rolling in

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.