[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 54 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: heds.jpg (155 KB, 2482x932)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
i've been modeling heads for the past 4 days and i still can't get them right. i'm looking at reference pictures and they still turn out like crap. how did you get good at sclupting faces? should i just power through and make more until i get good? do you know any tutorials that explain step by stay what i should do to make something that looks like a face?
>>
>>751434
You're already doing better than Bethesda
>>
File: anatomy-for-sculptors-fat.jpg (701 KB, 3114x1883)
701 KB
701 KB JPG
>>751434
Learn anatomy to understand the underlying bony and muscular structure. Once you learned the theoretical basis then go to practice to get faster and have smoother end results
Practicing daily when you don't have a good basis of what you're supposed to do is at worst pointless and at best incredibly slow as far as progressing you skill level
>>
>>751434
The basic idea is that you should have bones in mind when sculpting, that way you will even intuitively know where to build muscles and where to build mass (fat)
Second thing is, try to accent characteristical points of sexes (eg. cheek and brow bone for males)
Third thing to try is to sculpt in series of strokes but perpendicular to the direction of muscles - this may sound counterintuitive but can give really good results
>>
>>751434
are you using humans or aliens as reference cause damn
>>
File: fuckingheads.jpg (252 KB, 1482x829)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
Holy shit same
I look at anatomy and can't grasp what am I supposed to do with this.
Everything checked: forward maxila, prominent cheekbones, feminine but prominent browridge. Still looks fucking ugly, if i wanted to do a female counterpart of myself, i'd just download a special app for this.

It's just the slow tweaking of shapes, until you suddenly get something right and try not to erase it with further refining, for guys like us with negative spatial IQ. I've wasted literally 20 hours on a female model that i kinda liked, but of course /3/ rightfully shat on me. At least i liked it, so the key is just to sit like an autist and tweak shapes until you get something barely resembling a good-looking human.
>>
>>751439
>From human to American
>>
File: head.jpg (67 KB, 645x646)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>751434
Well, you're on the right track keep at it.
Download models, observe topology.
>>
>>751434
>i've been modeling heads for the past 4 days and i still can't get them right.
>>
>>751434
Oh look, another fool who wants to model without learning the basics like drawing or anatomy.
>>
>>751485
i actually can draw pretty good faces with pen and paper. but that's when i have to worry about just 2 spatial dimensions
>>
>>751489
post a face you drew
>>
File: facedrawing.jpg (1.28 MB, 2080x1560)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB JPG
>>751500
ok it's been a while. it doesn't look as good as i remembered. fucking memory works like that sometimes
>>
>>751504
Is that from reference or not?
>>
File: Scream-Drew-Barrymore.jpg (1.31 MB, 2560x1088)
1.31 MB
1.31 MB JPG
>>751505
yeah, it's from the movie Scream
>>
>>751506
just because you can copy an image doesn't mean that you understand the anatomy underneath
>>
>>751434
Don't make a disconnected head like that, establish the connecting forms. You're essentially trying to sculpt a face onto a curved surface here.
Instead of this make a bust with a neck and a hint of shoulders.

Work on capturing the actual geometry of the head. Look at people with shaved head to figure out how the dome and crown of the head is shaped.
even if you don't detail them model in a hint of the ears so you know where they are. You need to establish landmarks so you can work out the relationships between your shapes.
To get it right you need to pay careful attention where a shape is located in space in relationship to the rest and how it flows into neighboring shapes.
Don't assume any portion of the surface is a flat nondescript area, pay attention and look at what shapes are actually there and don't just make shit up to fill the gaps.

What you're doing right now is sorta like giving a face to a tennis ball, that is not what a human looks like.

Once all your major landmarks have been established this way your details of the face will have established locations where they'll fall into place.
However you are currently focusing on making your own impression of what an 'eye' a 'nose' a 'mouth' looks like and placing it on your sphere.
Instead of bringing your preconceptions to the table and slot them in like parts pretend you are an alien that have never seen a human face before.
And have no idea what you're looking at, just try to mimic the geometry of the surface as it actually looks without assuming anything.
View it like a pure geometrical shape that has no meaning to you. That is how you need to think if you wanna capture the subtle forms present in a photo reference.
>>
>actually valid advice on /3/
what the fuck is this
spooks
>>
>>751489
>posts pic

Mate, you can't draw for shit. You don't even have the basics down:
- drawing every individual tooth so she looks like a crackwhore with massive cavities
- drawing each strand of hair and shading each strand of hair the same with no regards of lighting or occlusion or shape
- pig nostrils (wtf, dude, why?)
- ZERO understanding of depth, she looks like she has thalidomide arms

Again, you can't draw.
Learn how to draw.
>>
>>751531
>pig nostrils
Literally one line goes too far in his drawing. But this isn't /ic/. His ability to draw is not the problem. He just needs to practice sculpting more by taking anon's >>751508 well written advice. From four days ago he's already improved a lot, and inshallah he'll improve more.
>>
>>751542
>His ability to draw is not the problem.
Yes, because he has no ability to draw. Neither do you if you think that portrait wasn't shit.
>>
>>751553
I don't care. That level of drawing is good enough to carry his entire 3D career and whining about his drawings isn't relevant to a 3D board. He has been given proper advice on how to improve his sculpts, and he can follow it much easily than learning draw properly, brother.
>>
>>751553
That portrait demonstrates he has enough ability to recognize shapes and angles well enough that he can up his level in no time if he just pay attention to the right things.

You're being a complete douchebag here for no reason at all here taking a shit on the guy.
>>
File: plp4.png (569 KB, 1544x464)
569 KB
569 KB PNG
>>751434
Could always be worse, anon...
>>
>>751443
Dude you're not even close to recreating that let reference let alone getting the anatomy right. Work on your observation skills first
>>
>>751531
>- drawing each strand of hair and shading each strand of hair the same with no regards of lighting or occlusion or shape
>occlusion
>REEE LEANR TO DRAW
You first retard. No one trained in 2D mediums unironically uses the term occlusion unless they're tards trying to cater to gamers and other 3Dtards.
>>
>>751434
Third and last one don't look half bad, actually.
If you're going for a stylized look, that is. Either way, you don't have to learn to draw, even though it helps.
Most important thing is practice. You can't expect to produce photo-realistic faces within 4 days of modeling.
>>
>>751557
>You're being a complete douchebag here for no reason at all here taking a shit on the guy.

I'm not being a douchebag. You are. He has no understanding of shapes and angles. You are a liar. You are lying to him. You're setting him on a path that will have him in circles for years until he finally realizes he should learn the basics. You are not qualified to give any advice on any topic whatsoever.

OP, if someone tells you that drawing is anything other than kindling they should not be trusted. I am not your friend so I don't care in the slightest about your emotions. I do care about how all the artists here (I'm using the term lightly) use this board as an excuse to be lazy and incompetent. Them taking umbrage of me saying your shit drawing is shit is not about you. It's about what that means to their own delusions because there's a 99% chance they're just as shit at drawing as you are.
>>
>>751592
>using a 3D term on a 3D-specific board to explain a 2D concept.

You talk like your mother fucked a monkey.
>>
>>751600
Your LARP character is being a douchebag anon. Reroll him you incredible clown person.
>>
>>751601
You talk like your mother didn't raise you right. Stop being such a dick and take control over your anger.
You don't have to give people shit just because they can't hold you responsible for your words here.

I mean you talk that way to people in the real world? If no; then why do you do it here?
Does talking tough behind a keyboard really do anything for you? If so how and why?
Doesn't it like make you feel small and pathetic if you're not consistent in who you are?

And if yes, how many of your real teeth are still in your mouth? I mean seriously, do you like wear a mouthpiece in a necklace or some shit?
>>
>>751602
>>751603

stop thinking I'm not cool because I monkey fuck peoples parents with my typing.
This is 4channel we're you're 18+ cool if you say everyone is shit.

>fuck.
>>
>>751591
>Dude you're not even close to recreating that
I know, meet me in a couple of days and it will at least weakly resemble the abosultely stunning girl I'm almost illegally daring to recreate in digital form.
>>
>modeling heads for the past 4 days
> i still can't get them right
> should i just power through and make more until i get good?

God this board is slowly killing me
>>
File: ken.jpg (28 KB, 480x360)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>751608
>this board is slowly killing me

actually...
>>
>>751609
rofl nice one made me chuckle
>>
>>751603
>>751602
>>751606

Adorable. Every masturbator when they can't retort resort to tone-policing.

>Doesn't it like make you feel small and pathetic if you're not consistent in who you are?
>take control over your anger.

Don't project your insecurities on me, manlet. This is not a safe-space for your gamma-boi self-victimization. You know fully well that the way I'm talking to you is the same others have talked to you in public face to face. Because let's face it, even if I say 10x worse things to you to your face there's not a thing you would do about it.

>And if yes, how many of your real teeth are still in your mouth? I mean seriously, do you like wear a mouthpiece in a necklace or some shit?

Let me ask you this: >Does talking tough behind a keyboard really do anything for you? If so how and why?
>>
what anatomy book do u guys recommend? I don't want to make anything realistic for what it's worth
>>
File: anatomy_for_sculptors.png (18 KB, 510x451)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>751612
Zarins Uldis, Kondrats Sandis - Anatomy for Sculptors, Understanding the Human Figure - 2014
50 pages dedicated to heads.
>>
>>751612
Netter.
Everything else is useless crap. You will never hear any decent artist say "Oh I learned anatomy from X artist".
>>
>>751620
actual hugely successful sculptor:
"look at other people's models and see how they indicate stuff, it's often way more useful than memorizing muscles from some anatomy book"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69AC3O0_ob8

retarded /3/ larper that never achieved anything and never will:
"everything but medical textbooks is useless, don't even bother sculpting before you've memorized this diagram of the inside of a kidney"

hmm who do i trust, what a dilemma
>>
i tired to take your advice guys and i started my 5th face. not gonna lie, kinda proud of this base mesh.
>>
>>751439
I like how her skin get's worse the fatter she is, nice touch.
>>
File: human.jpg (69 KB, 896x519)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>751607
See, three hours, and it starts to look like a human face.
>>
>>751632
great, now do this to get the rest of the owl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSKsmyV9ISk
>>
>>751639
>>751590
>>751434

I'm trying to settle a debate I had with a friend and I would apreciate if you could enlighten me on something. I'm not trolling you or anything, I'm genuinely asking
Do you guys: 1. Understand the anatomy but have a hard time reproducing the forms through sculpting(lack of skill)? or
2. Generally have no issues reproducing forms through sculpting but struggle with anatomical knowledge(lack of knowledge)?
Or is it a combination of both?
If someone where to give you a simpler shape to sculpt rather then a face do you guys know how to add mass, remove mass, understand negative shape, outline and all that and could you reproduce it it via sculpting?
>>
>>751624
>"look at other people's models and see how they indicate stuff, it's often way more useful than memorizing muscles from some anatomy book"

Literal sculptor says how he learned actual anatomy from an anatomy textbook. But you do, you, loser. You learn the way you want to learn and maybe in 10 years you'll get where you want to get.
>>
>>751645
Yeah bro people who sculpt for the first time surely understand anatomy well.

Don't understand what you've just said: mass, negative shape and outline. I just use brushes randomly while putting on a smart face.
See those bumpy eyelids here? >>751639
I just do a strong ctrl+crease, while stopping to inflate the rim so it doesn't collapse, then move it with snake tool until it at least resembles an eyelid curve. Smoothing is useless because the rim collapses and you have to inflate it again. The problem fixes itself in retopo.
Also don't want to increase the resolution because PC starts freezing when an object has more than 1kk tris.
Also no graphic tablet.
I'm watching people in ZBrush do super-smooth strokes and assume they're on a very high resolution and use tablets and don't see a point in trying to do as smooth as them. Retopo fill fix it anyway.

As for the anatomy, of course I don't get it. I don't have a 360° 4k reference to look at it while sculpting. I have muscle and bone projections from anatomy books, and the only way t go is to loosely interpolate between without much knowledge.

Tell your friend that it all comes together. Newbies can neither use tools right, nor they understand anatomy.
>>
>>751601
Occlusion isn't a 2D concept retard. It was invented as a shitty work around for real time 3D graphics because the entire concept of simple 3d lighting is completely fucking retarded and antithetical to how shading is taught to 2D artists.
>>
>>751653
>Also don't want to increase the resolution because PC starts freezing when an object has more than 1kk tris.
>Also no graphic tablet.

OP here. i am you and you are me
>>
File: bolgar.png (252 KB, 473x650)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
>>751663
Well, to be fair, his 10k tris mesh looks eons better than our 100k's, so low resolution is not really a problem
>>
>>751645
When I started, i was doing similar render like this. I think it really comes to people understand the anatomy but have a hard time reproducing it on zbrush.
I've yet to meet somebody who seriously didn't understand where the anatomy is wrong. IMO doing faces is literally just a matter of doing it, and doing it over and over again. You will improve very fast
>>
Learning anatomy is a good long term goal but you shouldn't need to have any expertise to just to recreate something you're referencing. That's like saying you need to study an elephant down to the bones to draw or sculpt it. Or an insect. You're going to have a hard time even finding the study material for that. You should be able to block things out and get a resemblance at least. One of the first techniques a painter will learn is to block out the broad shapes, or topology here, in pencil. Look up the "planes of the face/head", it's exactly what I'm talking about. It's all surface level and has no anatomic detail, but it does the basic task of blocking out the broad shapes of the head and you should be able to recreate it as an exercise. In general, blocking out shapes and planing surfaces is one of the first things figure drawing covers, you don't even really get into the nittygritty of anatomy until you know how to recreate the basic shapes and surfaces of the body. You don't need to learn to draw but you should at least skim through some basics and learn basic artists' techniques
>>
>>751668
I highly disagree based on personal experience and that's the basis of the argument I had with my pal.
I believe once you understand how to sculpt(which really shouldn't take you very long, there are only a handful of operations that you constantly repeat), theoretical knowledge is all that's keeping you back, while "practice" does nothing other then increase your speed and maybe allows you to cement and better retain the knowledge you get through studying. A somewhat exception to this is likeness sculpting, but even there a theoretical framework should reduce the need to "practice" considerably.
I once had this argument in here before, because I literally almost never practice(all this "just sculpt everyday" thing I see everywhere), and had progressed significantly faster then I see people progressing through daily practice and I'm trying to get if it's a "me thing" or if people are just approaching progress in art in an inefficient, almost mystical way that's just slow
>>
>>751676
That's called talent. Congrats, you have it
>>
>>751677
I literally don't believe in that, I attribute all I can do to studying in a systematized way and understanding, I really don't think I'm particularly gifted for this.
>>
>>751676
can you show us some of your work or preferably a timestamped progression of your sculpting skill?
>>
>>751652
thanks for the concern, but i'm doing great already. you, on the other hand, are a laughable larping pseud. you're recommending, for learning portrait sculpting, a medical atlas that contains hundreds and hundreds of pages of information that's completely artistically irrelevant - cross sections of internal organs, maps of the nervous system etc - but does not as much as mention facial fat distribution. if you ever tired to follow your own dumb advice you would discover that it's literally unusable, because information crucial for artists is simply not present in that book.

you're obviously a non-artist that fantasizes that if you WERE to learn anatomy you WOULD do so from this very smart book for very smart doctors that you've never bothered to even crack open. i see you going from thread to thread sabotaging newbies with awful advice that stems from this fantasy. you're a joke.
>>
>>751676
that's interesting, because i've also found myself progressing faster than i expected, from never having sculpted (or drawn) a face to being able to pull off a decent likeness in less than 2 months, but my experience is the opposite. i do the daily practice thing and haven't done any systematic "studying" beyond half-assedly watching a bunch of scott eaton lectures. it feels to me like mostly just basic observational skill that is executed intuitively - i'm focused on an audiobook or whatever and meanwhile my eyes just find a spot on the sculpt that does not match the reference and my hand moves to fix it. the people who fail i think fail right at the start - they either don't see the difference between their work and the reference, or at least they cannot isolate specific points that they could then fix. that's when you get the "pushing stuff around hoping it randomly looks good" thing someone mentioned above.
>>
File: prog.jpg (2.76 MB, 7659x1764)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
>>751684
Yeah, I can, but it was quite some time ago when I started so my current progress is pretty much plateaued as far as sculpting goes(at least for the last 1.5 years) and is nowadays geared towards the other parts of the pipeline like texturing
>>
File: 409b_o.jpg (691 KB, 2102x2808)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
The best reference you can get is a 3d scan. You can engage with it in the same way as your sculpt, same window, same brushes. Even lower poly scans tell you so much about anatomy. Looking at 2d photos has too much info - light, skin, hair everywhere - coomer brain takes over.
tldr: treat yourself to a 3d scan over an anatomy book.
>>
>>751434
learning is a process. if the pics in OP are yours, trust me, you are making fast progress, and it looks like you are breaking past symbol drawing/sculpting really quickly.

the improvement between day 3 and 4 is especially good.

basically i know its not what you want to hear but stay the course. pic a reference and sculpt it, and be constantly looking between your model and the reference and see where the differences are. try to actively evaluate it instead of instinctually guessing whats wrong. look at the shapes, look at the distance between shapes, try to break major areas like the cheeks and the forehead into major shapes by looking at what shape the shadows or highlights take.

you are making great progress, and the key is to keep at it, and keep evaluating

the mouths are looking okay, especially 3 and 4, the corner creases are maybe a little big on 4. the eyes are probably your weakest point and the brow ridges are a bit too sharp. also try to at least block in a hint of an ear and pull out the neck, that will frame the face and give you some context for the distances between some things. the tops of the ear are generally pretty close to level with the eyebrow ridge. the distance between the eyes should be 1 eye width approximately . the noses are a bit sharp and small at the ends, real noses have an almost ball shape at the end on average instead of coming to a triangular point
>>
>>751467
Loks like the son of Pavarotti and a Jew
>>
>>751611
>You know fully well that the way I'm talking to you is the same others have talked to you in public face to face.

Only time a guy ever talked to me that way in reality and neither of us had a gang of buddies there to help win/diffuse the situation did turn into a drunken brawl.
Was drunk having a shouting match with my then girlfriend because she was hitting on this other guy right infront of me.
Big dude who knew her came up in my face and started screaming all sorts of vile shit, threatened me to bring his buddies over there and 'stomp me into a wet spot on the pavement'.
We where both sorta meat heads back then and we went to the same gym so I had a vauge knowledge of who this due was. Pushing match ensued and we traded a few strikes but nobody backed down.
Both realizing the other wasn't some bitch that was gonna be scared off we talked some more and we both kinda understood one another.
We both agreed that my girlfriend was now a whore and therefore no longer my girlfriend and that it was brave of other dude to stand up for someone he knew.
Then we went to his place and shared a bottle of whisky and we both became friends, beautiful story.

>even if I say 10x worse things to you to your face there's not a thing you would do about it.

Unless you where up in face I wouldn't but if someone comes yelling at you like that and moves into grappling range you gotta push them away and
be ready to run or fight otherwise you'll be sucker punched if they decide to make a move. You really oughta run because fighting somebody you don't know who
it is can quickly become super sketchy, but depending on who's looking that isn't always a good idea.
Because you'll be seen as a bitch from then on and others will take advantage of you if you don't stand up for yourself.

But I'm not saying it's guys like me you have to worry about if you behave that way. I'm not a keyboard warrior that would do something to you if I just found you.
>>
>>751611
>>751722
>And if yes, how many of your real teeth are still in your mouth? I mean seriously, do you like wear a mouthpiece in a necklace or some shit?
>Let me ask you this: >Does talking tough behind a keyboard really do anything for you? If so how and why?

That last part is not me trying to talk tough and threaten you anon, it's a very legit question; I've seen plenty of guys getting jumped
for way for less than that by dudes armed with short fuses. Like if you run your mouth that way to someone you don't know
and it turns out they're not only aggressive but they're also some psycho? what if they have a knife? then what?
Like if that is who you are please reconsider, you'll end up dead or in jail when you could've been a happy little t/3/pot short-and-stout.
Playing with them coomers, playing with your snout.
>>
>>751722
>Then we went to his place and shared a bottle of whisky and we both became friends, beautiful story.
Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed in that end, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>751736
Don't be, that girl isn't 'the one that got away' material. I actually dodged a bullet that night getting rid of her, I've since been told she's now a heroin addict.
Muscleman I still share a beer with from time to time whenever our paths cross, solid reliable guy.
>>
>>751615
>>751620
sorry about the late reply, thank you very much!! i'll try a little of both and see what works better for me
>>
File: SolWork.png (1.39 MB, 1176x1580)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB PNG
>>751679
Not that anon but discrediting talent is naive. Just because you're talented doesn't mean you can pick up a stylus and make anything you want, you still have to study to keep improving, which you showed here: >>751695
Using myself as an example, I've been sculpting on and off for years and only recently got to a point where I'm happy with how my sculpts look, even though they aren't great. I know I still have room to grow and that I have to study and practice much more before I can get to a point where I can call myself good. Pic related.
Conversely, I can say I'm naturally better at writing academic papers and that I'm talented at it. It doesn't mean I can complete my thesis in a day without any research. I still have to study and get the appropriate references before I can put together something that's good.
>>
>>751736
>if you know what I mean.
This had better not be a gay post.

>>751695
Not him, that's a pretty good shooby dooby doo sculpt. Seeing the progression of other anons, making things I actually personally like, is very inspiring. I have to get over seeing sculpting as a chore and get back into it.
>>
>>751645
Anon who posted the yellow head. I genuinely dont know anatomy. Wish I did, it would translate so well to drawing, which I love as a hobby but could never get full bodyshots or poses right because of it
>>
I have spent the last couple of hours trying to pick up anatomy and I could see what I had been doing wrong with my drawings. but now I kinda feel like I'm getting worse at this lol
>>
File: slightly_better.jpg (78 KB, 668x815)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
Dude I remember now
You have to make eyelids much thicker than in real life for them to look good in sculpt mode
>>
File: test.jpg (73 KB, 1074x839)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
Also does she look retarded?
>>
>>751823
very
>>
>>751823
i think you made her too skinny. i'd add some fat but in general i think that her face is the weakest spot. you got it bro. just keep working on her
>>
>>751817
thats getting worse. It'd take so much work to fix it, better off starting over.
>>
>>751823
thought 3dguy was at work here
>>
File: sligtly_worse.jpg (63 KB, 734x407)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>751830
>>751827
Sheiiit, I don't understand what's wrong exactly, but I do get ugly vibes from this face.
Fixed one last time before retopoing and calling this a stylized character. It's gonna look better with hair anyway, as most people IRL do.

And I'm gonna stop posting screenshots now, sorry.
>>
>>751834
>>751823
>>751817
Holy kekerino

Here's what's going on: 1) you're not able to make what's in your head appear on the screen, you need to practice fundamentals (via tutorials) more; this is a purely technical skill that you can pick up through repetition
2) on top of not being able to get what's in your head onto the screen, what's in your head looks wrong
To be more precise: you're fundamentally failing to observe the characteristics of the ref and what makes her look the way she looks
You've noticed SOME of the fine details (eyebrows, upturned nose, cleft chin, semi-prominent cheekbones, high forehead) but missed the foundation: jaw shape, skull shape, ear location, nose bridge shape and position, eye shape

You can improve the skill of identifying features either by doing more 3d sculpt tutorials, or by doing some basic 2D figure drawing stuff (the kind where you doodle circles, then lines, then end up with an approximate character shape); either is fine, remember that for 2D you don't necessarily want to fixate on trying to build the 2D drawing muscles but rather build up your "eye"; either way (doing 2D or 3D tuts) you need to be OBSERVANT and THINK CRITICALLY in order to train yourself to become observant about big details and not just little details

Anyway while I did kek a hearty kek, understand that you aren't "hopeless" or anything like that, you're just at that really difficult mid point where you're past being a beginner so you no longer feel like "well of course it won't look great, I have no idea what I'm doing" and now into the "I feel like I know what I'm doing, why isn't this working?" phase of intermediacy; only until you get to advanced will you think "I know what I'm doing and it's working, how can I get to the next level?"

A lot of artists give up at this point, they feel like they've worked really long and hard to get to this point only to be making "shit", without understanding how far they've actually come
>>
>>751837
Addendum:

By "through repetition" I don't mean repeating the same shit you've already done over and over (aka "sketching every day" like a 2D artist or "practicing" like a music guy), I mean just keep doing more tutorials, be mindful about what you're doing and actively seeking to assimilate techniques and information.
>>
File: 1593191885803.jpg (145 KB, 734x407)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>751834
What i recommend is breaking down the complex shape into smaller shapes and curves(our outlines), kind of like what you would do if you had to classically model something complex. Excuse my crappy sketching, but I tried to color code some of the lines and angles you might try to improve.
I would also recommend you to sculpt on a lower rez mesh and try to look at anatomy references(and anatomy books/studies) more in terms of "what shapes and outlines to these muscles/bones produce" rather then just knowing where everything is, like a medical student.
Hope this helps you
>>
>>751834
you are anatomy a suck
>>
>>751837
Thank you very much for your input, this is indeed the phase where I need to start questioning myself on why am i molding some shape exactly that way. I'll restrain myself from posting, because instead of carefully analyzing shapes and looking at the reference after each couple of strokes, I sketched on autopilot while being focused more on the future coom, and quickly moved on to posting here when the result naturally came out not good.

>>751841
Yes, thank you, I should've indentified these lines myself. I should've spent more time refining shapes when the resolution was still low. They looked okay to me at the time, and only later on you guys revealed to me that they're in fact wrong.
Speaking of anatomy books, I'm outlining bones and muscles but the fat tissue is what gives me nightmares. But i'll try, thanks.
>>
>>751837
that's very good advice. not OP, but thanks anyway, you did help me with that
>>
face planes
head fucked up? face planes
Heads all look the same? face planes
Head doesnt look like what you're going for? face planes.
>>
>>751671
>Learning anatomy is a good long term goal
yes. Ive been preaching this for years. Anatomy is an advanced subject. You must study the figure as an abstract mass before you start learning about sinew and subcutaneous bone land marks.
>>
>>751590
I actually kind of like that profile, looks like a rock golem or something.
>>
>>751876
I wish there was a good resource for the planes of human anatomy. Google images fucking sucks at finding anything decent now thanks to that DMCA shit.
>>
>>751443
>>751434
unironically use zbrush
>>
File: face2.jpg (33 KB, 698x733)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
OP here. i tired to take my base mesh from >>751632 a step further. i've been refining and sculpting this face for like 2 hours now. so what do you think? am i making progress yet?
>>
File: shit.png (145 KB, 774x668)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
OP, look at this disaster. It's my very first attempt at a face. Faces are difficult, you can't expect to just ace it within a week.
Don't worry, practice will get you where you want.
>>
>>752145
You could try to not bump this thread
>>
>>752167
why would i do that?
>>
File: head progress.jpg (614 KB, 2124x1080)
614 KB
614 KB JPG
>>751434
2d fag here,
here is my about 6mo on & off 3d sculpt practice
>>
>>751443
Yes, this is what happens when people who has 0 training in art jump into 3D. I recommend you reading the art books that are given for free in /ic/
>>
Hi, I am here to give you guys the deadlines to when the cutoff is to make it:
>AAA stylized sculpts in <6 months
>AAA realistic sculpts in <1 year
Good luck guys!
>>
>>752714
Do realistic first. Stylized is too amorphous because it's never consistent in 3D space unless you ONLY look at 3D references. Real heads are fairly consistent even between people. There's no wacky lopsided geometry morphing going on from angle to angle
>>
This might help you https://youtu.be/wSKsmyV9ISk
>>
>>752711
Putting lines on paper is awful though. Can't someone grind through perspective and anatomy via 3D?
>>
>>751639
>>751443
i like the original shape more anon. it looks like one of those demonic jap masks.
>>
>>752708
not bad!
>>
>>751434
its the hardest thing of all in 3d, your brain knows when the proportions are wrong
>>
>>751443
You're off, but it's not as bad as you think it is - she would be halfway to looking like your sculpt without her hair and eyelashes, because she's not that good looking.
>>
File: redline.png (356 KB, 563x270)
356 KB
356 KB PNG
>>751834
you've pinched the bridge of her nose too much.
this doesen't account for any weird focal length that might be going on in the picture but this should help
>>
File: goblina.gif (1.33 MB, 451x247)
1.33 MB
1.33 MB GIF
>>753514
Apologize to the ukrainian semen demon right fucking now.

>>753556
Yeah thanks, I should've flattened the nose. But I gave up since then, because I can't allow myself to sit and do sculpts until they get good, when there is texturing and animation to learn. And I was destined to get an ugly face after retopology anyway so why fix the sculpt.
>>
>>752708
last one looks like mads mikkelson. the last 3 show tremendous progress, and especially that last 1. consider ears and hair and shoulders to frame the face better, as well as either sculpting on eyebrows or modeling them as a separate object
>>
people without 2d background be seething
>>
>>753566
>Apologize to the ukrainian semen demon right fucking now.
no

I won't sit here and watch you force yourself to practice anatomy using la chupasangres. You owe it to yourself to use butifel melike as reference.
>>
>>753566
Nice progress but her ear looks tiny
>>
File: 5th head.webm (2.64 MB, 848x556)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB WEBM
OP here. i continued working on my 5th head

(previous WIP pictures)
>>751632
>>752145

and this is the result. so how did i do?
>>
File: 5th head.jpg (285 KB, 4504x1244)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>753950
additional progression pic
>>
>>753953
Better, good progress. Let me know when you get to the 50th head for your next thread, please.
>>
>>753950
im a layman, but that looks stunning. good progress, op
>>
>>753955
>>753962
thanks. i took my time with it and tried not to rush anything
>>
>>751434
Do you really think youd improve in just 4 days? It will take months, but keep doing a sculpt every day and I promise in 6 months you will look back and laugh at how bad you used to be
>>
>>754025
i will, but you didn't comment on my latest sculpt

>>753950
>>753953
>>
>>753950
are you working from a reference? it would help if you posted the reference to see where you differ.

in general though looks like you've got a pretty good grasp of the generic form. making it look non-generic, like an actual person will be the next step.

also maybe start practicing adding eyebrows and hair. only thing i can see is that the brow ridge towards the nose looks a bit sharp, but that may be how your reference looks, in which case not an issue
>>
>>754106
i didn't have an actual reference reference. i just followed closely this tutorial posted by >>751642
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSKsmyV9ISk

half way through i realized that the proportions were off so i used this picture for a reference but as i said, i just used it just to adjust the position of some facial features
>>
>>754111
ah, okay. well yeah, looks good then. i would say next step would be to try a more specific model, something like trying to model a likeness, or pic a piece of concept art for a game or film character you like and model that. looks like you are getting the hang of evaluation, which is one of the biggest hurdles, basically the ability to look at your model and look at a reference and evaluate where the differences are and how to correct them.

also Nikolay Naydenovs tutorials are fantastic, he has several full length 40 hour class series' for character workflows. you can find them pretty cheap, i got 3 of the classes for $10 each on sale on the flipped normals store i think, might have been cubebrush but i think it was flipped normals. eitehr way, his tutorials are very comprehensive and he's clear at explaining both style and technique. i really recommend checking out either of his orc classes or his female assassin class. i beleive he also has a zbrush for beginners class, and while he does use zbrush for the majority of his work, 90% of what he does could be achieved in blender easily enough, just the hotkey sections and such will be less useful.
>>
>>751434
>for the past 4 days
try 4 month, or 4 years
and yeah, study anatomy by drawing. You don't have to be particulary good at drawing, just have a basic understanding what you are doing and what a face consists of below its skin
>>
File: fays_webm.webm (1.08 MB, 900x1600)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB WEBM
I don't understand, is it ugly or not?

>>754119
Thank for the name, gonna pirate it right now
t. not that anon
>>
File: basemeshface_thumb.jpg (101 KB, 740x600)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
unironically LOOMIS
His head measurements are simple and look alright.
Bridgman is great for blocking out forms and Reighly's method is also great for understanding the flow of anatomy.
Also try to learn face and body topology, it's fairly basic and if you have a good base mesh anatomy sculpting is much easier
>>
File: 1482343025424.jpg (85 KB, 550x358)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>755778
>Reighly's
Reilly's
>>
>>755658
It's human looking, but it is ugly, if your hole is to make a nice looking woman that you've not achieved it. Like the other guy said, pick a celeb and make her face, should be lots of pic, profiles ect.
>>
File: patrick_swayze.jpg (22 KB, 500x400)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>755658
Your sculpt reminds me of pic related
Typically you shouldn't give women sharp, chiseled features like that. Especially around the chin, jaw and nose like you did there. Female heads are usually more round, and have soft curves to them when compared to men's, which tend to be more angular and straight.
>>
File: GinaCorano_Headshot.png (132 KB, 500x325)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
>>755780
Yeah thanks man I can't see if a face is attractive or not after spending a couple of hours looking at it. The problem with celebs is that all the high resolution photos of them are taken when they smile for a photoshoot.
And they usually have hair which covers their head shape.
But I'll try to dig deeper and interpolate what's hidden.

>>755795
You're absoultely right, but I'm kinda sick in the head because I love women with strong facial features, but again, thanks for trying to spoonfeed me my mistakes. On the other hand I think Gina Carano's face, which I've picked for my next try as a reference, is roughly as sharp as the sculpt above, it's just that proportions are simply unattractive.
Though... she's indeed much more round than Patrick Swayze lol
>>
>>751434
Looks like you’re improving. The nose and the lips are a tad better on day 3. But the eyes/sockets on 4 are pretty good.
>>
File: 1574814771730.jpg (277 KB, 1500x904)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
>>755658
Look at your face thru a narrower FOV camera both when you edit it and when you present it to gauge it's beauty.
Most CG cameras are around 45 degrees by default which gives a lot of distortion on faces
compared to how they look thru our eyes when we see them in real life.

If your face is correctly modeled it should look natural when you frame it thru a camera with a
FOV that correspond to a 85mm - 200mm lens (~FOV 24 - 10).
The minute of angle on the monitor if you view the face at natural size would now be such that it would look
like it would if your model was a real world person who sat across the table from you at a conversational distance.
>>
>>756012
check out my latest progress
>>753950

i also made a new head but it comes with a body and i'm still working on it

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.