[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 18 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: 280.jpg (64 KB, 564x501)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
2.8 or 2.7?

All the tutorials and materials (including huge amount of books I got for free as a local college was throwing them away) are for 2.7, but learning 2.8 seems more future proof as it's an almost complete overhaul of UI and it is the future and will be a standard for a while.

In classes and in my imagination, making low-poly furry games, the 3D business seems fun, but browsing youtube and /3/ makes overly worried over redlines of vertex. I regret dropping PhD in romantic comedies so much.
>>
>>676525
>this thread again
Can you fucks keep it in the /blender/ general? We don't need to have this thread every two weeks, thanks.
>>674142
>>
>>676525
Maybe I'll ask another question as this is a quite slow board.

Should I bother with these books or put them on a shelf to make my room look "professional", while using youtube? I did take a quick look and it's basic to lower intermediate stuff.

The best seems to be
https://nostarch.com/blendermasterclass
I used Python books from that publishing house. The rest is from around 2014.
>>
>>676527
Then could you, at least, answer the second part of my post as it's more broad and general, please?
>>
>>676525
What you learn in 2.7 is completely applicable to 2.8. The UI might have gotten a "fresh" coat of paint, but that's about it. Even then it's not all that different. The differences between 2.7 and 2.8 are minimal at best.

>Furry
Yikes

>>676528
It's funny to me you think people will care about your image over some books in the background. If it really matters to your little ego though, the 2.7 books might make you look more experienced since they're older. Maybe it will disguise the fact that you just picked it up. Why it matters is fucking beyond me. No one is going to sub to some furry who cant speak English because they have a Blender 2.7 book in the background. Get your priorities straight.
>>
>>676525
>2.7, but learning 2.8 seems more future proof
It doesn't really matter, and neither have any future whatsoever.
>>
>>676525
Unless you have some specific addons you need, 2.8 obviously. You're going to change at some point anyway. Better sooner than later. Plus it already works just fine.
>>
>>676594
>No one is going to sub to some furry who cant speak English because they have a Blender 2.7 book in the background.

Why are you so hateful? And why would you focus on my English language skills and on me wanting to model furry games, so much?
Ps I realized that I forgot to type "while using YouTube to actually learn".

>>676599
It works but there are few intermediate level tutorials and books, yet.
>>
2.8 isn't that different from 2.7, mostly hotkeys and removed Toolshelf.
Hotkeys you can set to 2.7 preset.
Don't read/look up tutorials for no reason, just look up specific part on things you are currently have troubles with.
>>
>>676525
Neither seem different besides asthetics, though 2.7 is more stable.

I use 2.7, so I'm not the best person to answer this, but I'd say start there then move over once 2.8 leaves the beta stage.
>>
>>676525

Go for 2.8, it might feel a bit more of a bumpy in the beginning but at least you won't have to go through the headache of adapting to the newer versions later on. The 2.7 learning material will apply to 2.8 most of the time - things are roughly the same, just moved/rearranged to somewhere else. For example the "20 layers" buttons are gone and instead you use the outliner and the layers are called "collections".There's no point in sticking to an old version, the only case where it makes sense if you're already deep into production of a short film or something and need to have all the old scenes working and rendering properly.
>>
>>676675
people that abuse animals deserve to be hated
>>
>>676702
This whole shitty board deserves to be hated.
>>
>>676525
Personally it took me about a week to switch to 2.8. It's not that different as people might think - Eevee and UI are the biggest changes but that's about it. If you plan on doing modelling/rendering only you can go with 2.8. For everything else I'd suggest go with 2.7 because things just don't work yet or the program keeps crashing out of nowhere in 2.8.
>>
I'm still using 2.7, as they changed some of the hotkeys in 2.8, and my muscle memory is resisting a lot. I try to do simpler things in 2.8 to get used to it, and I love it for its grease pencil
>>
File: 678678678.jpg (430 KB, 1148x1211)
430 KB
430 KB JPG
Guys how do I get to see the big sidebar on the side that's ACTUALLY USEFUL and not the N-TOGGLE sidebar that's full of useleess trash features and tools while in this viewmode???

Top is my screen, bottom is the screen that I want to have. What do I do??
>>
>>676958
>the big sidebar on the side
it's a window area

split your window and set it to the properties editor type
>>
>>676958
Blender's UI was made by retards from Mars, so instead of having windows you can dock and move around like every single application in history, you have to play a math puzzle, split your windows in half until you get the desired layout and THEN designate what those split window areas will contain. For now, I'd just recommend wiping your settings.
>>
>>676528
Books in anything computer related are a meme and will be outdated withing 2 years.
>>
File: blocksyourpath.jpg (111 KB, 500x570)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>677027
>>
>>677065
>he thinks "computer science" is about computers
also kah-nuth code is garbage
>>
>>676594
This. 2.8 runs a bit better, is able to utilize newer cards better and I like the UI a bit more, but they're about the same if you don't use Eevee

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.