[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/3/ - 3DCG

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 5 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now being accepted for the next 72 hours. Click here to submit your application.

Now accepting credit card payment for 4chan Pass purchases and renewals. Click here for details.

I'm trying to model a face with poor references: one front view and a 3\4 portrait style view.

I have no information on the camera used, focal length, lens or anything like that.

Other that fucking around randomly with scene cameras to try and get it right, is there any method or utility that can be used to at least get it in the ballpark? The few I've found through Google only seem to work with architectural photos with plenty of orthographic lines to reference.
>>
Skulls may nigga
>>
>>666873
wym?

low poly reference skull to help match shit up manually?
>>
File: 1526974584743.jpg (50 KB, 606x600)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
pls
>>
File: 36hoursinpaint.jpg (250 KB, 464x753)
250 KB
250 KB JPG
like this mah nigga
but y'know not half arsed
>>
File: 400hrsinpaint.jpg (251 KB, 464x753)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
sumone fix my shit
i've forgotten everything
>>
File: thawpohlowjyh.jpg (176 KB, 464x753)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
>>666860
I'd decide the diameter of the eyeball and the iris and look up ideal or average spacing of that,
create the white centerline in my image and work outward from that.

To figure out a valid topology for a surface it's easier to paint an overlay of 4 colors (4 because of the 'four color theorem')
and start painting in finer and finer planes as you spot them instead of trying to draw a working wireframe directly.

you sorta let a suggestion for a valid wireframe emerge out of itself as you segment the surface into finer and finer pieces coloring in and splitting fields as necessary.
>>
File: CMO62LU.jpg (301 KB, 1484x1484)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>666860
Learn 2 draw and anatomy, recreate face in orthographic projection on paper, then use the photo to tweak small details. Also glamour photos like this are useless as reference because lighting, makeup and photoshop completely distort how the face actually looks.
>>
It ain't easy shit m'dude. Although you should try to find more than just 1 picture of that model. Modeling off 1 picture is just dumb
>>
>>668044
>completely distort how the face actually looks.

Oh plox, whoever made Sara Ryder butchered the job. I have a vague recollection there was a hot version of the game model more true to the actress
but then someone at bioware informed them of the new policy that every female character must now look like they've gained a chromosome
so they don't scare away 'female gamers'* because "mirror-mirror-on-the wall if someone is hawter than me I must cut chunky wrists to drain the fat."

> * (hypotetical bull-dyke ones with multi-colored hair, not actual female gamers as they exist in physical reality.)
>>
File: image.png (339 KB, 1169x621)
339 KB
339 KB PNG
>>668055
>whoever made Sara Ryder butchered the job
They scanned her face with laser. It's exactly how she looks IRL minus the makeup part. Except people didn't want to see how she looks IRL. And their scanning process is accurate to the point face recognition easily can tell what face was used for it out of thousands of photos.
>>
>>668057
Go to sketchfab and look at some laser scans of people, see the quality of those mesh compared to what a real person looks like?. Understand that even if you do a laserscan you need an artist to interpolate the result and topologize it well
and that there is a lot of nuance missing from a scan unless you have an absolute expert team collecting that data.

But if that's how they did it it all starts to make sense. Notice how the crown of digi-ryders head doesn't match the cranium of the real girl.
She obv didn't wear a baldcap for the scan and they just did the face and let the hack face-artist they had on pay roll wing it, what a travesty.
>>
>>668057
I thought she looked bad because of the in game camera settings warping shit

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.