[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/x/ - Paranormal

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Flatwoods_Monster_concept.png (427 KB, 1325x1527)
427 KB
427 KB PNG
Let's once again engage in the interesting activity of tackling cryptids/mythical creatures, showing them in a realistic light with the help of speculative biology and evolution.
>>
Previous thread btw, really confused and upset with how it died last night. >>>>21933641
>>
File: Ningen.png (250 KB, 950x800)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
On the plus side, i'm hyped for that bae artist to tackle one more creature before the year ends for me.
>>
>>21967291
I also hope the one that did that would be more active, as they're very good and seeing them do plenty more in the future would be pretty sick. Although, if they got a busy personal life i understand if they have a tough time getting to do these amazing works.
>>
>>21967291
Yikes, don't try to fuck that thing!
>>
>>21967899
>Has Teeth flashbacks
>>
>>21967253
bump for interest
>>
>>21967253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2N5dzIajTw
>>
>>21967265
The hell, did the last thread really died last night, how, why??
>>
>>21967253
Here's a theory for the Con Rit
it's a relative of polychaete worms
think of how much a bobbit worm resembles a centipede
>>
>>21968736
Hmm, that's a really good candidate for the Con Rit.
>>
What other physiological traits should a realistic Elf have other than pointed ears and being beautiful with no wrinkles or blemishes?
>>
File: blobcookie.png (6 KB, 128x128)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>21967291
Sssooooon...
>>
Bumping for cool pictures.

Also Flamingos are the original phoenix bird. They migrate near volcanic lakes with waters too acidic for humans, have red feathers and the ability to withstand the "burning waters". The egyptians told the stories to the greeks and the greeks to the rest of europe, eventually the phoenix bird story was born.
>>
>>21969192
Really? Neat, i thought it was purely symbolic.
>>
As Gila Monsters aren't a good candidate for a speculative Basilisk, what could be? And remember to keep in mind, Basilisks are serpentine and 12 fingers long, while the chicken-saurus thing is the Cockatrice.
>>
>>21967253
What of hardly touched upon creatures like Wraiths or Banshees?
>>
>be me
>wait patiently like a good anon for that one artist to make a third cryptid artwork before the year ends
>praise them afterward and bask in the eye-candy that is their art
>pray for them to be more active and make more wonderful pieces next year.
>>
>>21967291
>>21969059
>>21970229
I wonder if they'd like to have a name to go by on here other than just the bae artist.
>>
bump
>>
>>21967253
Low consciousness insectoids don't have golden halos, dipshit.
>>
>>21970808
It's just a marking/pattern.
>>
Happy New Year folks!
>>
Oil Pit Squid

One of my all time favorites.
>>
File: chupa.png (227 KB, 800x595)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>the Vampire Iguana, otherwise known as the mocha vampire, goat auger, and perhaps most colloquially "El Chupacabra" is a small Predator native to the Amazon river basin. While normally preying upon birds, capybaras, and the occasional tapir, deforestation and other human activity have driven the Vampire Iguana outside its normal range, where it typically feeds on domestic animals such as chickens, cats, and of course goats as far as puerto rico and northern mexico. As its name suggests, the vampire iguana is a hemovore, using it's powerful limbs to subdue it's prey before delivering a fatal bite from which it drains it's victim of blood. When threatened, the vampire iguana rears up on it's hind legs and flashes large, reflective eyespots on its cheeks to intimidate larger, stronger predators, such as jaguars, coyotes, and humans.

merry holidays from me to you
>>
>>21971031
omg that's really good and cute, may i make a request too?
>>
>>21971131
life's pretty hectic so there's no guarantee I'll do it. but I like being pitched ideas
>>
>>21971137
ok then, well if you get around to do some more, here are my suggestions on what you could possibly tackle.
>Garuda
>Harpy
>Dragon(basic/common European type/breed)
>Taniwha
>Troll
>>
>>21971031
Awwwe, original anon that wished for this to happen, absolutely love your creativity and design, looks so good and cute! <3
>>
>>21971031
Got a name you'd like to go by?
>>
Why do i feel like the scientific name for "Bigfoot" would be "manhunter"?
>>
Vampires as a camouflage-based predator hominid that hides in other hominid populations, like that species of spider that blends in with ant colonies and feeds on workers for years undetected.
>>
>Page 9
>>
>>21967253
I have an ides for a creature. It'd basically an owl with wheels instead of legs, two uncircumcised penises for ears and a syringe for a beak. It hunts by rolling through cities at night for homeless women and injects them with heroin, thus addicting them, then rewarding them with more heroin when they feed it sugar water like 7up.

Can someone please come up with a basic sketch for my creature. I call it the feather beast.
>>
>>21972471
That's... neither a mythical creature nor realistic.
>>
>>21971031
damn that's a good chupa, nice job.
>>
>>21971031
Can he do a blep/mlem?
>>
>>21968837
the sightings would put it at anywhere from 50-135 feet long

the idea of a 135-foot-long bobbit worm does not sound pretty
>>
Bump.
>>
File: 1538025997040.jpg (794 KB, 2560x1536)
794 KB
794 KB JPG
>>21967253
Can't wait for that dude to redo this too.
>>
Rise!
>>
>>21969571
many medieval drawings depict them with legs and bird like features so i picked a poisonous lizard. their behavior and texture made sense to me too so
>>
>>21975958
Venomous*
>>
File: banshee.png (564 KB, 1200x1600)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
>>21969714
they are bigger relatives of short eared owls, their size makes them have to recur to scavenging often, so they feel drawn to sick/injured people and animals, carcases and sometimes even recent graves. their call can be mistaken for sobbing, when they feel threatended they fly away making an ear pearcing screech loud enough to hurt the potential attacker
>>
>>21976208
yeah, that
>>
>>21976285
Omg, welcome back dude, long time no see!
>>
bumping for interest, especially now with an old draw fag making a surprise return.
>>
Oh god, do NOT look through Catalog... hope these lesser threads don't kill off greater and actually interesting ones like this.
>>
>>21967253
Is there any way to make sense out of Dullahans?
>>
>>21976285
Oh sweet, you're back! Could you do a Kelpie?
>>
>>21970869
Happy New Year! Anon
>>
>>21976285
that doesn't look like an owl as much as it looks like a potoo bird
>>
>>21979563
what's that?
>>
>>21979208
You need either portals (meta-physics of some variety) or else a symbiotically coupled organism that has some evolutionary reason to have both parts separated.
>>
>>21979712
Hmm, ok, i like the second option much more.
>>
>>21980048
So you have a couple options here. Either the heads are modular components that any body can use, or each body corresponds with exactly one head that it is bonded to for life. Without it the body would die. In the former case, there is a trivial evolutionary process whereby the best head gets selected and bred, while in the latter there is more immediate need for diversity. The choice you make determines whether or not it'll be a species with a distinct alpha member and corresponding mating rituals or a more equality based species with a vibrant social population.

We'll call the former case hot-swapping dullahans and the latter Classical Dullahans. We can show that either group trivially evolves into the other (given enough time and a suitable environment) but can also exist as a separate species (given a divide in environment that separates the populations for a long enough period).

In a hot-swapping world, the body has to select a head, but because the head is the primary sensory organ, the body doesn't actually have any way of doing this. We can imagine some form of hormone-based communication, but this is non-resilient in distinguishing the population from the larger gene pool. That is, if it were hormone-based selection, it would only be a few generations before the most useful hormones were selected, and the most resilient communication framework evolved. So we end up with the same problem, except now there are hormones everywhere. Which makes it a lot harder to decide which head to select. (Because they are all equally prospective from the body's (relatively) blind perspective.) Note that within this process, it is equally possible that the classical form (one head per body) would evolve as a result.

Well, so you're a wandering headless body, let's first focus on the age of puberty, and you want to select the best head possible. But you have no way of knowing which that is, because knowing is quite literally the head's job. So unseen to the body
>>
>>21980134
there is an arms race among the heads. Indeed, a head survives precisely by getting as many bodies under their (obviously metaphorical) thumb as possible.

This problematic, however, depending on the "culture" developing among bodies. If bodies have some (chemical) reason to prefer a singular head, then a prospective head that aspires to control multiple bodies will need to keep each body in an isolated cultural bubble that will prevent it from trying to use the head while some other body is trying to leverage it. Ultimately, the cultural feedback all happens with the heads, and a head wishing to control many bodies has to first convince all the other heads that this is somehow desirable, unavoidable, or otherwise natural. This puts a severe selective pressure on what heads are really allowed to do to bodies, but opens up a large unknown cultural factor in terms of what one Dullahan (considered to be a head/body pair) is allowed to do to another's head.

Well, we were discussing the body during its puberty period. It would be a highly sexually explorative time, so naturally, there's not a whole lot you're going to telling a growing Dullahan not to do with its head that it will actually avoid doing. Obviously dangerous stuff will put a selective pressure on both the body and head, so that stuff evolves out FAIRLY naturally, but yet it would remain as one of the follies of youth for some time—especially if Dullahan culture were taboo-based, as human culture often is.

(Am I speculating correctly? yes/no/continue)
>>
>>21979672
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potoo
>>
>>21971368
Sauce
>>
>>21980184
Hmm, i'd say so, yeah.
>>
>>21980454
Alright then I'll continue because I fucking love applying evolutionary reasoning to things.

TL;DR: After everyone survives, sexuality evolves and society stabilizes, the environment is still the controlling factor.

So let's say you have a society of 800 Dullahans, and a drought hits. There's now enough to feed 500 bodes for five years. In that time, assuming no new births, there might be a little less than 300 deaths. But it's not symmetric, because the body is the one using most of the metabolic energy. On a fundamental level, if a drought hits and only 2% of the Dullahans have hot-swapping genes, their proportion of survival isn't just higher than single-body Dullahans, it remains constant while the classical (1:1 head/body physiology) survival drops. One body could well end up support several heads. And guess which bodies are the first to go?

Even though they seem essential, the bodies are actually the swappable organ. The heads, doing all the logistic, planning, and sensing, are the real source of Dullahan society, and corresponding survival. Unless the environment remains infinitely plentiful, Dullahans will have a constant evolutionary pressures toward hot-swapping genes. But because of the way the logistics of that mode of survival work out, classical Dullahan genes would remain part of the population for conceivable eons unless some other environment or factor selected specifically against it.

What this means is that simple logistics dictate that that moment of exploratory puberty would be the dominant factor in Dullahan sexual selection, regardless of any perceived values or cultural backdrop into which a population is inserted. That is, until there's massive loss of food, the ratios within the gene pool remain relatively stable, at least in terms of the hot-swap gene.

The value of single-body-per-head is trivial for evolutionary advantage; never having to worry about losing the head, less reliant on society to allocate a body for your use.
>>
>>21980608
What's interesting about Dullahan physiology is that the body is wholly reliant on this chemical signaling. While we know today that it boils down to hormones, these would be invisible to the otherwise rich sensory organ that is the head, and Dullahan society can be expected to be every bit as much superstitious as human society—if not vastly moreso. Rather than visual certainties, or auditory control, bodies that evolve hormonal signalling are to be considered far more robust than any other form of "remote" control, leading the head to be forced to "feel" the state of the body without actually connecting with it. Things like stress, hunger, etc., virtually everything that flows through the neck of a human, would need to have a corresponding two-way chemical stimulus.

The most interesting aspect, then, are the forms of sexual foreplay that would emerge among pubescent youth.

For example: Suppose you wanted to touch the head of your mate (have your body touch their head). It could be seen as a very nerve-wracking experience (especially in the case of hot-swapping!), while yet the few who can push through that barrier, trade heads, and have their bodies back to the usual positions after intercourse would form a very real chemical bond. Their sense of the other's body would be intimate in a way human society could never approach, and indeed, the primary mode of selection within this system would end up being how well a breeding pair can mesh with the hormonal states of the other. Since mixed hormonal states could cause confusion (remember; the head has no direct way of knowing where its stimulus comes from; it only has a vague intuition of which body is its own) it is mot likely that breeding pairs would, well—to borrow a human phrase—opposite attract.

Indeed, due to the sensitive nature of the link between body and head, the pairs that are most comfortable swapping heads are liable to undergo far more proliferation than their more cautious partner.
>>
>>21980682
Here, sexual dimorphism is a tremendous boon to the Dullahan race, since a breeding pair benefits most from complementary hormonal signals. The pairs that can trust, swap, and work past any confusion between whose body is whose would be far better equipped to handle any kind of environment, including any social standard, customs, or culture that emerges in their society. Because of this, it would very likely become a very normal (and natural) courtship ritual to hold the other's head. It would be a sign of trust and bonding (or multiple chemical forms), and the nuance of the resulting culture would be limited only by the complexity of hormonal body-action systems.

In the case of hot-swapping, we might expect to see heads that help bear the labor pains of their mates, or the (increased) use of a shared healthy body while the other's is sick. There could well be heads that evolve to work well with multiple types of mates' bodies—in fact this would almost surely be the most virulently successful breeding trait—such that harems (in either direction) were commonplace in Dullahan society.

However, the role trust plays in the society of such a species would likely become its own sort of limiting factor, and become a large part of Dullahan society. Since betrayal is the natural result of a violation of trust, any attempt by an individual to change the (existing) social norms would be seen as a very taboo act. Perhaps the most taboo act of all. Indeed, such a society may well itself become as modular as the Dullahan's very physiology, to the degree that new offshoots may happen any time trust has been betrayed. Perhaps their communal sense of trust would take a much stronger second seat to familial, tribal, or hormonally grouped forms of trust. The various modes of trust beyond swapping during foreplay could easily become social factors that would further divide up Dullahan society.

This dynamic would likely only cover the very early history of the species.
>>
>>21980814
Shit it just keeps coming. Hope I'm not derailing the thread here with unwelcome essays.

What is most interesting to consider about the divides in Dullahan society is the concept of war. On the one hand, going into battle without the head would protect the head. On the other, it leaves the body blind, and tactically useless for being incapable of differentiating friend or foe. Moreover, since it acts largely on instinct, set forth by hormonal signals from the head, actions would either be very carefully planned and metered, or it would prove more useful for any head to simply be able to send out a hormone that protects it from any body that might attack it. Dullahan society would either evolve past any need (or use, if such use can even be readily established, given the complications of warfare with their physiology) for war, or else their physiology would have a very real reason to adapt to make it impossible for their entire race. Indeed, each body and head exists in such a delicate position that if they harbored even a slight disadvantage, it would quickly result in their genes being selected against. Early disputes would greatly affect the entire (evolutionary) history of the species.

Most likely, wrestling would be a natural sport common throughout Dullahan society. It would be a source of bonding, an ancient and venerated practice, and potentially even a source of deciding mates (attractiveness). What role it may play in their later history would likely be set by subtler aspects of the hormone system as it evolves early on. In all cases, I'd imagine it would become a central component of dispute resolution—together with talking, and other direct sharing of bodily signals, or course.

I literally had no concept of there being different modes of trust for tribe/family and larger society in general before writing this stuff. Makes me wonder if humans don't have different levels of trust for the abstracts in relation to their group "physiology."
>>
>>21979563
i made the face flatter and the head smaller to be more anthropomorphic, but potoos are way weirder m8
>>
>>21980906
Don't worry, you're not, you're doing the opposite of derailing in fact.
>>
Bump.
>>
File: iwftu.jpg (8 KB, 224x225)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>21976285
lewds when
>>
>>21980906
Damn, that's a ton of fascinating speculative info.
>>
>>21982281
never
>>
these are scientifically accurate vampires.
>>
File: 1460623005667.png (34 KB, 251x214)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
>>21984725
b-baka...
>>
>>21985331
Sugoi sugoi!~
>>
Bump
>>
File: 20190103_194738.png (37 KB, 250x214)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>
>>21967253
Make OP pic of the 15th thread spec bio burger king foot lettuce
>>
File: roperite.png (6 KB, 653x133)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Oh gee I haven't been in these threads in ages
I'm thinking of making the roperite a mammal of sorts but not sure yet what
>>
On another note I'm happy to see this thread to still be alive and going
>>
>>21986616
Stolpergeist, is that you?
>>
>>21986647
Pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhht not so loud
(maybe)
>>
>>21986660
okie x3
>>
File: DSC06953.jpg (1.08 MB, 2290x1671)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB JPG
Oh well might as well post this cyclops then

Hit or miss guess some really missed me huh
>>
>>21986616
Hmm, a Kangaroo Rat or Shrew of some sort perhaps?
>>
>>21986722
In awe at the size of this lad.
>>
>>21986616
>>21986722
Welcome back dude.
>>
>>21986616
Could you do Demons as being fungal in nature that corrupt and/or mimic the physiology of whatever organisms they'd possess/infect?
>>
>>21986722
Wasn't there another version that was an actual elephant relative?
>>
>>21967253
What of some diverse creatures like Djinn? With the basic type I'd say they have a hallucinogenic venom or poison rather than actually being able to grant wishes, and maybe Infrits have a high amount of white phosphorus which could explain their fire abilities
>>
File: roperite.jpg (750 KB, 1944x1244)
750 KB
750 KB JPG
>>21986746
Went for option Z
>>
>>21987699
Neat, a Pangolin?
>>
>tfw I used to love looking at the myth creatures book with the detailed anatomy of the creature with a huge description and history of it as well and good art
>>
>>21987699
>>21987716
Graton Monster maybe?
>>
bump
>>
>>21987699
Care to give some info on this speculative take?
>>
>>21967253
What physiological attributes would be needed for a hominid to fly other than the obvious 20 ft wingspan, and would a "werebird" have its teeth exposed and extended outwards to form a pseudobeak or would just a long muzzle be alright?
>>
>>21990099
The nose would be much larger and have larger nostrils to take in more air at high altitudes
>>
Bumping for interest again, really like these series of threads.
>>
Rise!
>>
Night time safety bump.
>>
File: Lamias_are_weird.jpg (219 KB, 1200x849)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
Damn, Lamias are weird af, kinda neat tho as you have a hefty handful of directions on what to make them be. Not the artist of this piece btw. I wonder what the top left and bottom left lamias are supposed to be btw.
>>
>>21992841
Oof, ended two sentences with btw, damn i'm tired, goodnight for now folks.
>>
bumping for this actually interesting thread to continue living
>>
Page 10 emergency bump!
>>
>>21970808
They are more holy than humans that's for sure
>>
>>21992841
hot
>>
>page 8
>>
File: dabbing-collection-008.jpg (138 KB, 935x1024)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
bump
>>
>>21992841
I think I actually recognize that artist.
>>
>>21994873
yes. because they skipped their time to be humanoids to help all of creation.
>>
>>21987699
You still around?
>>
>>21996685
Yeah, that's Stolpergeist, pretty cool dude.
>>
>>21967253
brownqueerboy-sama, please come back soon. :(
>>
File: Mantis.jpg (41 KB, 540x405)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>21967253
Mantis are the top species in our solar system at the moment, all the others are bio borgs
>>
>>21998768
Why the fuck would an alien look ANYTHING like anything here on earth tho? Only vague body shapes and body plans yeah, maaaybe, but you'd have to make hardly any comparison between an earth animal and an alien.
>>
>>21998768
these are in a different dimension u tards, cant possibly think mantis have intelligence
>>
File: Dabberwrist.png (11 KB, 505x413)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>21998768
Bitch please, we all know the Daggerwrist is best alien race.
>>
File: mothboi.png (56 KB, 470x386)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>21967253
Hey I'm alive! Sorry! I thought I'd be back in time before the last thread bit the dust. I'm working on the mothman though!

(Also I'm flattered you guys like this stuff. I saw the other anon call me bae. I saw that)
>>
File: mothman.png (309 KB, 1000x1000)
309 KB
309 KB PNG
>>21999716
I'm going to be completely honest, there wasn't much for me to do with this. Just a big bug.
>>
File: skinwalker.png (690 KB, 2560x1536)
690 KB
690 KB PNG
>>21999792
Here's my updated skinwalker, too!
>>
File: XEbhzeQV.jpg (7 KB, 186x186)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>21999792
>>22000461
You know I'm looking at these and thinking maybe saturated orange and red weren't the best choices for me to write in.
>>
>>22000476
Lol, yeah you're probably right about that. Other than the questionable choice of text color you did a great job with the drawings. <3
>>
>>21999792
Oooh me likey, care to dump some juicy info on this boi?
>>
>>21999792
At least the Manananggal moth will be more to work from, with the male flying out for some blood to drink while the flightless and longer legged female stays behind.
>>
>>21999792
>>22000461
Damn those are really good, can't wait for more to get made.
>>
>>21984734

Fuck those cunts. Worst experience ever besides my life
>>
>>21998828

I imagine most life would be on an earth like planet. Kinda like how insects were massive when earth was super oxygen rich. If that planet happened to keep a high oxygen content insect like creatures may evolve more efficiently. They wouldn't look the exact same but similar
>>
>>22000461
Howdy, fellow Indiana anon here, as my birthday's coming soon (on the 12th) could you tackle that Crawfordsville Monster next?
>>
>>22002088
I was planning to! I actually cannot think of ANYTHING for the dryad or centaur that doesn't have me just remaking another mantis cryptid, so I plan on taking on the crawfordsville monster next!
>>
>>22002142
The Dryad could easily be a giant stick bug, and i feel a mantis relative is really the best and only legit option for the centaur, maybe a highly derived one so it won't feel samey with the Flatwoods Monster. And cool, can't wait to see that done next! :)
>>
>>22002153
You know, I was honestly trying to go with some sort of katydid with a false "human" face, or maybe a large cicada that lives in specific trees or something. I couldn't quite figure it out though. I'm sure I'll get back to the concept soon though.
>>
Bump.
>>
>>21967253
>@brownqueerboy
>>
>>22003000
Yeah bitch, that's my Twitter. What about it?
>>
>>22000461
The colors of this creature's really sick, just like the creative design, kinda reminds me of the Grimm from RWBY.
>>
>>21967291
whoa, I knew this board was slow but holy shit
>>
>>22003520
Yeah, it's slow but well worth it when an artist finishes and shows off their works on here.
>>
>>22003833
Oh
I like to draw shit too, but I'm not that good.
Give me something to draw then
>>
Shit, why's it saying it didn't fill out the captcha even tho i did?
>>
>>22003877
It stopped now of course but still, what a weird bloody error.
>>
>>22000476
could you possibly change the text to where they're easier on the eyes then?
>>
File: 15449247510001.jpg (82 KB, 480x640)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>
bump.
>>
>>22002189
For some non-buggy cryptids other than the dragon, could you tackle the Chupacabra, Goblins (which are actually quite nice in the actual lore apparently, save for like, the Earlking and a few others i think), and Mermaids? After you've done the other requests that are ahead of course.
>>
File: mothman.png (288 KB, 1000x1000)
288 KB
288 KB PNG
>>22003974
Absolutely not. Suffer.
>>
File: skinwalker.png (573 KB, 2560x1536)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
>>22003974
Also fuck you. :)
>>
>>22006723
>>22006728
Why you do dis?
>>
live
>>
Bump!
>>
>>22006728
I like your spunk.
>>
Another nighttime safety bump, can't wait to see the Crawfordsville Monster done, among any others.
>>
File: Gorgon_sketch.jpg (341 KB, 1280x1021)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
Gorgon as a large lizard that encases its prey in mucus that'll harden to eat for later, after knocking them out with powerful pheromones. Not the artist that did this btw, just an anon keeping this thread alive some more without bumps.
>>
>>21976285
Hello, are you still around?
>>
Bump!
>>
Don't die thread.
>>
LIVE!
>>
Borwnqueerboy, where are you, are you ded? :(
>>
>>22012858
Brownqueerboy*
>>
File: the feather beast.png (28 KB, 447x472)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>21972471
I got you bro.
>>
slow day huh? hopefully it'll be more lively again soon.
>>
>>22006723
>>21999792
>>21999716
Now draw the caterpillar form and the cocoon
>>
I always thought the monster dude from Jeepers Creepers would be better as an insectoid based on a cicada rather than generic demon man. It makes sense because cicadas hibernate for decades and come out to mate and feed. Could make for a decent schlocky tweest where there's a lady creeper too.
>>
>>21980134 (through) >>21980906
Oh shit I realized I've been approaching this all wrong.

What really changed my perspective was when I realized a Dullahan doesn't benefit from having a normal digestive tract. They find adaptation in an entirely separate mode of metabolism. They don't even really benefit from any Terran ecosystem.

When I tried to map out how nutrition flow through a Dullahan's body, I found that its physiology would support a vast range of forms and function. Rather than a distinct species, it makes the most sense as an entire "genus" of "organisms" that all share the defining trait of being able to rearrange their organs using intelligence in place of evolution.

Below is documented the version that most resembles a human, which I've sought to call "dual sapiens" (the common Dullahan).

>The Dullahan is an extremely rare creature with a vast territory, often spanning entire continents. It has an almost alien physiology that seems just familiar enough to put in in the uncanny valley of whatever happens to be looking at it. When not feeding, it tends to isolate itself for thousands of years at a time.

>The basic Dullahan has two modes: Feeding its head, and feeding its body. The one trait shared by both pieces seems to be a willingness to try new foods. This appears to be a result of its unique metabolism, which is refined to reuse, retain, and recycle all nutrients as much as physically possible. It has two pouches for this purpose: One at the base of its skull (on its head) where the neck would be, and another on its body's abdomen, where it places the useful bits of food retrieved from its gullet pouch.

>The Dullahan's body is a finely tuned machine that mimics tissue from all other forms of life. The limbs follow a growth pattern reminiscent of fungi, with an extremely strong epidermis that seems to mimic the properties of the rind of a fruit. In place of blood, nerves, and a lymphatic system it has a dense nutrient network similar to a plant.
>>
>The study of this network is complicated by its simplicity: When a limb is to be discarded, the nutrient network adjusts itself to begin growing the limb immediately, in rare cases completely cannibalizing the lost body part. In the event that sections of tissue must be discarded, the dead limb will be rapidly consumed by the outside environment, due—presumably—to the efficiency of this network.
>Some form of nervous system seems to exist in this network, with complex instincts similar to that of an animal, but very little in the way of any survival instinct that researches could identify. The body seems to exist for the sole purpose of handling the sensory organ (head), and is able to perform a complex string of tasks without any contact with its head for several hours (and in one instance, weeks) at a time. It appears to be semi-dependent on its head to select foods, though its fingertips are able to function as taste buds if it does not find its head where it left it. It is unknown what aspects of the network allow it to sense and coordinate activities on behalf of its head.

>Since all tissue is retained and the Dullahan does not appear to shed in any way (eg., skin, hair), nor does it appear to suffer continuous growth processes anywhere on its body, its body seems to exist in an effectively immortal state. Though the head does have an immune system (since it "eats" in the normal sense), its tissue seems to be largely derived from the same processes that generate its body. This puts it outside the natural reproductive cycle, and it is in fact unknown where either path of its physiology originates. Since it does not (appear to) reproduce, either, the body can go without movement of any kind for extended periods of time.

>The head is equally evolved(?) to be handled by the body. Seemingly passive, it is impossible to take a Dullahan's head form its body until it has already decided to be set down. Though one has never been recorded speaking, the head seems
>>
>extremely intelligent, constantly considering ways to use its body regardless of the body's location (relative to the head). It is unknown just how intelligent these creatures are, but the intelligence seems to be stored almost entirely in the head, with it demonstrating the ability to solve complex puzzles with incredible ease, needing only to have contact with its body for several seconds to completely deliver the tasks necessary to work past dozens of obstacles. It does not appear to take pleasure in this process and seems unphased by obstacles, only choosing to move elsewhere after a number of such puzzles have been constructed in the same area.

>The head appears to be a complete sensory organ, separated from the body only for the ease and flexibility of not having a spinal column (and real-time sensory relay). It has an exceptionally wide "grin" to allow the body to pull food bits from its neck/pouch/gullet. This is thought to be an immune response designed to separate the body from the risk of invasion by parasites, microbes, fungi, and other chemical threats to its nutrient network, instead handling those risks with its head. It is unclear whether the body or the head initiates feeding, but the usual process involves the Dullahan's body feeling for specific foods that it can digest entirely using its own pouch. The inedible parts that cannot be fully digested by the body are removed from the head's pouch and discarded.

>When feeding conditions are ideal, the body's pouch will fully digest the material placed inside it, producing a nutrient gel that is then absorbed into the body's inner nutrient network. The head will occasionally be placed near the pouch to lick up some of the excess nutrient gel to sustain its own (largely separate) metabolism and growth. This is the only known state in which a Dullahan will exhibit behavior indicative of an apprehensive thought process.
>>
>bump in the night
>>
>>22014636
A practical pun
>>
bump
>>
>>22013917
As well as the Queen and more combat-ready King who would have a tough exoskeleton, mandibles and longer claws.
>>
>>22015801
Wait, could moths have mandibles?
>>
>>21971031
Hmm... i think you should go by black-eyed pete maybe? As you're giving them all black eyes. Or maybe not, hmm... maybe just Bae artist is fine enough of a title.
>>
WE SAID LIVE!!
>>
>>22000461
This looks like a chimera ant, I like your drawing
>>
>page 9
>>
Bump
>>
Why so dead?
>>
File: Angel_sketch.jpg (211 KB, 1280x960)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
Not the artist but here's a neat sketch they did of a speculative Angel, as an Alien.
>>
File: Harpy_sketch.jpg (190 KB, 1280x960)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
And here's a corvid Harpy.
>>
Bump.
>>
Night time safety bump.
>>
>>22023036
Wonder what that face is trying to convey.
>>
Rise.
>>
>>22026251
Nope, I died so this shit ended.
>>
>>22026255
What?
>>
Bump.
>>
>>22026255
Nani the fuck?
>>
brownqueerboy-sama, where are you? ;w;
>>
File: DSC07066.jpg (1.14 MB, 2159x1535)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB JPG
Cripes guys slow down with the creature asks, I got a stack of 10 by now
Ask me dumb personal shit in my inbox instead
Pic thread related
>>
File: DSC07035.jpg (713 KB, 1643x1143)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
Wasn't referring to OP though, sorry if I came off a bit harsh on the dragon thing, it just grew over my head
>>
>>22028844
Nah man it's cool, also yeah, it'll be best to just ignore the "it's definitely this" ones and focus more so on the "what could this be?" ones as that definitely lets you have more creative freedom, a perfect example is definitely that Manticore, he's a good fishy boi.
>>
>>22028836
Someone put that poor lad back into the water.
>>
>>22028836
>>22028844
Wow, those are really nice. Love the creativity.
>>
Page 9 bump!
>>
bump.
>>
Come on... this thread gotta live longer, at least make it into the 200s.
>>
>>22028344
Soon...
>>
In before we reach over 200 but most are bumps
>>
>>22033888
True but eh, anything to keep the thread from dying to death.
>>
>>22033985
Yes, yes indeed
Including this

Thinking of it we could also keep it going by posting art from other artists such as Hyrotrioskjan, Yoult, Iguanodon't, Osmatar, C.M. Kösemen, John Conway, Terryl Whitlatch, etc to keep the thread alive
>>
>>22034268
Wait, wait, WHY is the horn on that one unicorn so much larger than the other one?
>>
>>22034326
Because the African variant is clearly larger, simple.
>>
File: d5e9e45.jpg (59 KB, 1187x577)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>22006728
Oh God I want to fuck you and I love your spunk.
>>
>>22034268
Really wished this spec-evo book Terryl is making would become available sooner, i'll most likely be dead by the time it gets released. :(
>>
File: Dangerflooftroll.jpg (428 KB, 1184x1920)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>22034268
Yeah, Iguanodon't is really good.
>>
>page 9
>>
File: 1539659974743.jpg (66 KB, 497x720)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Can anyone find that Brownie rodent fae drawing that one anon artist did please?
>>
File: Fairy_sketch.jpg (202 KB, 1280x883)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>22036546
Oh nice, seems Nic finds the idea of the fair folk being rodents quite good and fitting too.
>>
>>22037149
Iguanodon'ts fae are also rodents, from what i can recall, love how great minds think alike.
>>
>>22037149
>>22037309
Oh fuck fuck fuck I only saw her dragon fairies, hoped I went a totally original route

Also
>namedropping
Yikes could you not
>>
>>22037400
Oh shit, i'm sorry for the namedropping, didn't think of it as a bad thing... :(
>>
File: emote.png (28 KB, 128x128)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>22037415
This is why I come to your thread so rarely
>>
>>22037425
I'm terribly sorry...
>>
>>22009460
I think the horny toad sprays blood out of its eyes to ward off predators....some kinda duct by its eyes that it would come out from would make sense on seeing its eyes were the last thing you do.
>>
>>22036546
reminder that a pissed off brownie becomes a boggart!
>>
>>22037610
In the horny toad's case it is veins that are literally in the eyes popping
>>
>>22037444
trips of true sorry confirmed.
>>
>>22037623
damn nature, you scary!
>>
>>21967253
What of some weird ones like the Kikimora, Bunyip, Peuchen, and Cherufe? Wonder what they could be if they were real creatures.
>>
>>21967253
Can anyone help me remember this kind of cryptid? It's a female deer thing that lives in forests and I think sometimes seduces men in a way similar to a siren.
>>
>>21998768
How can a species evolve to the point of interstellar travels without having opposing thumbs?
>>
>>22038302
Deer Woman, for real tho, that's its official name. It may be said differently in whatever native American language that's familiar with the myth of it.
>>
>>22038327
Thumbs aren't all that important for tool use/item manipulation, there's plenty of other methods.
>>
>>22038330
Thanks for the reply, bro.
>>
File: osaka-confused.png (523 KB, 1022x766)
523 KB
523 KB PNG
>>22038339
>Thumbs aren't all that important for tool use/item manipulation
What?!!?!?
>>
>>22038404
t. jawlet
>>
>>22038404
Take a gander at crows and cephalopods, those are a couple of good examples.
>>
>>21967253
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ho-oo-phoenix.shtml

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenghuang

These guys are real
Source: I've seen one up close.
+ check the lore niggas
>>
>>22038972
Yeah sure
Except that every depiction looks different from another
>>
File: Llamhigyn_Y_Dwr.jpg (575 KB, 1280x1081)
575 KB
575 KB JPG
Is this... related to that one smol bat-like pterosaur? It's kinda cute, for a large sheep and people-eating critter.
>>
Despite some of them being titanic units these are some really good-looking dragons.
>>
>>22013941
>>22013942
>>22013945
Nice.
>>
Wish this thing was real.
>>
>>22040865
I don't, it's abominable.
>>
File: kappa kyuri.jpg (31 KB, 390x439)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
uhh bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.