[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_7409.jpg (641 KB, 834x1047)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
>>
>>5810263
It was pretty good. Keep in mind when it came out there were only 4 Mario games with no real lore other than "save the princess from a big dinosaur turtle" so considering what they had to work with and their budget it turned out okay.
>>
>>5810263
>was it kino
>>>/tv/

I enjoyed it.
Sure, it's weird as shit, Luigi's actor is complete ass (also, the two fucking henchmen), and the plot is all kinds of stupid, but it's still entertaining, the setting looks really cool, there's some great scenes, and Hoskins is a fantastic Mario, even if he was supposedly drunk on set for a lot of the movie's filming because of how much of a shitshow the production was.
Koopa is a pretty decent villain.

I sat down a few months ago with some friends to mock the movie, but it's fun. It's a terrible game adaptation (not that anyone knew what to do with a game adaptation at the time), but it's a real cult classic type of movie.
It does enough things right that it's worth watching, and the things it fucks up are done wrong in a way that's entertaining.
>>
Captain Lou > Bob Hoskins >>>>>>>>>> Martinet
>>
File: UNILAD-jeremy33.jpg (42 KB, 726x378)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
It's certainly a film, yes. I hated it but thinking about how it and Street Fighter made me feel makes me appreciate how much better nerd movies usually are these days - and merciless when they're not.
>>
>>5810459
>hates super mario kino and sf movie
Shit taste gramps
>>
>>5810263
I fucking loved that movie.
>>
>>5810263
I liked it. Not so much as an adaptation but as a movie with a soul.
Also, Speed of Light by Satriani.
>>
Does anyone have the sequel comic? Looks like the official site is defunct. Man it was just last year it was operational too. I missed my shot to check out where they would have went with the cliffhanger if they had the chance to do a sequel.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-super-mario-bros-movie-gets-a-comic-book-sequel/
>>
File: hopper.jpg (27 KB, 900x450)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
KOOPA WANTS TO FUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
I guess I'll be the one to think that it just wasn't that good.
If there's a way to adopt the "lore" of 8 and 16bit platforming games, and this isn't it.
I will say that it gets tons of credit for being "90s as hell" though
>>
>>5811119
To be fair, the original pitch was far closer to the games and more of a fantasy story, so when they chose this direction more than a few of the actors who signed on were pissed since this wasn't the movie they agreed to make.
>>
>>5810263
The fucking wannabe-watchowski pretentious hacks ruined it with the overly grimdark tone. Could have been a fun, silly adventure film.
Still, low-key trashkino.
>>
>>5810324
This guy gets it.
>>
>>5810268
I agree that the movie is pretty good on its own merits, but it definitely isn't a good adaptation of the Mario games, even considering what was out at the time. The Mario brothers' physical appearance and the fact that the plot is about saving a princess are really the only things they got right. Otherwise, I find it pretty hard to imagine a world that less resembles what we saw in the NES Mario games. I mean, look at the first few levels of SMB1. Do they really scream "dark, underground cyberpunk world"?
>>
>>5810263
It was honestly a pretty fucking fun movie.

Unfortunately it got stuck in development hell and they had to completely change the entire script every other week or so; the actors stopped paying attention to the rewrites midway into the shooting. So yeah the movie looks half-assed but it's still a fun movie.

>>5810545
I'm interested in seeing this too.
>>
Big Bertha was based AF
(And she made my pee-pee feel funny.)
>>
File: smbkino.jpg (41 KB, 500x375)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
KOOPA
I
N
O
>>
>>5810545
It's, like, four pages of unfinished webcomic.
>>
File: luigi.png (424 KB, 497x622)
424 KB
424 KB PNG
>>5811187
>>
>>5810545
I'll upload them here soon. There's a lot of pages.
>>
>>5810545
Here ya go
Super Mario Bros. 2 Comic
https://mega.nz/#!Ed0wlA5I!BrT4Ptp0L7pcI0OhU6awh29j5iKMyOCFF9oQMpdrmrs
>>
>>5810268
There was lore. It was just Japanese lore that none of us know.
>>
Where's the quote where Miyamoto said he regretted the movie being too close to the games.
>>
>>5811396
It's not a technically wrong opinion. The film is so divorced from the source material, yet has to still make attempts to kludge in the games that it overall sours what might have stood well on it's own as a wholly unique idea. "If you chase two rabbits, you'll catch none."
>>
Great cyberpunk movie, poor game adaptation.

But still better then the SF movie.
>>
>>5811193
They predicted the Kemono Friends Jav 30 years ago.
>>
File: koopas.png (311 KB, 1024x267)
311 KB
311 KB PNG
>>5811469
There's even a 9/11 prediction.
>>
>>5811156
It could have been more faithful, but probably not with what the crew had available to use. CGI was either really bad or the time or really expensive, so a city of Toads wouldn't really have worked, unless they hired 1,000 midgets and made them wear goofy toad hats and I don't know how well that would be come off. It'd probably look stupid and silly. Not that their 8 foot tall shrunken head goombas in the movie didn't either...
>>
>>5810268
That's still the lore though
>>
>>5811543
I would argue, though, that competent filmmakers are able to work with what they've got in cases like those. How much time did they really need to spend in a city full of Toads, for instance? Mario games are almost universally about adventure, so he'd only really need to be in a Toad city at the beginning to receive his quest and at the end for the big happy ending. I imagine he'd mostly be interacting with villainous creatures like Goombas and Koopas, which could mostly be accomplished through creative use of puppetry with maybe some stop motion and costumes thrown in there. I mean, a quick look at the movie's Wikipedia page shows that it had a budget of $48 million, which is almost twice the budgets of movies like The Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, and The NeverEnding Story. All of those were able to create fantastic worlds full of monsters, creatures, and strange locales.
>>
If I can give a legit compliment, the costume work in this movie is really good.
>>
The SMB movie was ahead of its time by a decade. It would have been right at home in the early-to-mid 2000s when gritty, wild reimaginings like that were all the rage.
>>
>>5811145
>The fucking wannabe-watchowski pretentious hacks ruined it with the overly grimdark tone.

Read up on how the movie was made. They had completely different scripts and settings every week due to executive meddling. The director and the actors all did their best so they can at least make a movie out of the entire clusterfuck the project was.
>>
>>5811372
Thanks man
>>
>>5810263
The movie itself isn't good but it's a fascinating anomaly. Makes me wish there was a documentary about all the behind the scenes insanity that occurred like Lost Soul did for the 90s Island of Doctor Moreau movie.
>>
>>5811815
Well it's no secret the directors were an incompetent married couple. In the hands of the Neverending Story team a Mario movie would've been GOAT.
>>
>>5812207
They had all that executive meddling because those fuckers where trying to make their own grimdark pet project out of an adventure film for kids.
>>
>>5814018
>>5814023
they were an up-and-coming team and this film literally destroyed their careers. Good fucking riddance.
>>
>On January 31, 2018, Nintendo of America announced their partnership with Illumination, stating that the film will be co-produced by Shigeru Miyamoto and Chris Meledandri.[62]
It took Nintendo literally a quarter of a century to recover from this absolute shitshow and try again at making a movie based on a character that's better known than mickey mouse.
can't make this shit up lmao

I'm curious about this new mario movie tho, anyone know something about it? Is it going to be animated?
>>
>>5814036
it's going to be shit, that's for sure.
>>
>>5814054
mario noooooo :(
>>
>>5810263
It was litterally kino. Alas it was shit too.
>>
>>5810263
no but pic related was
>>
File: C9uQYPgUIAAxfcE.jpg (141 KB, 741x910)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>5813509
This.
It's intriguing, like a less shameful version of the Double Dragon cartoon.

>>5814036
We know literally nothing about it other than the fact that, given it's Illumination (those guys that made stuff like Despicable Me) it's going to be CGI.
>>
File: street_fighter_film.jpg (1.87 MB, 1200x1691)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB JPG
True /vr/kino coming through
>>
There hasn't been a single good videogame movie.

No, wait, the Angry Birds movie managed to get a few genuine laughs, and I only know that because my kids watched it.

But every other videogame movie, from Double Dragon, Mario Bros, to Doom and the fucking dreadful RE movies, has been sub-par shite barely fit for straight to video release.

And don't get me started on Christopher "fuckin' Raiden" Lambert's dreadful Chinese thunder god impersonation...
>>
File: prince.jpg (478 KB, 540x771)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
>>5814907
>There hasn't been a single good videogame movie.
the prince is good, or maybe 'im biased. I'm gay for Jake.
>>
>>5814907
There have been tons... Just not American ones... Advent Children, Parasite Eve kind of counts not based on the game but still same source, Dragon Quest, Ni no Kuni, Tron is not based on a game persay but still, Ready Player One or Wreckit Ralph I don't like that shit but alot of people did, Resident Evil CG movies, Street Fighter anime movies, etc...
>>
File: IMG_7465.jpg (28 KB, 825x464)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>5814907
>there hasn't been a single good videogame movie.
What about Goldeneye tho?
>>
>>5814907
>There hasn't been a single good videogame movie.

I've fatalitied people for less.
>>
>>5815715
Silent Hill. Loved it, super creepy and triangle head was pretty boss.
>>
>>5810581
Kek
>>
>>5811187
LOVE IS A DRUG
>>
>>5810263
fuck off and read a book, nigger
your vocabulary is severely limited
>>>/tv/
>>
>>5814907
If you count animated stuff, the Street Fighter 2 anime movie and the Sonic OVA are pure 90s anime bliss. And accents aside, the first MK movie is a solid kung fu movie. Besides, it's not like Mortal Kombat has ever been known for making sure to get all its cultural influences just right.
>>
>>5815805
>And accents aside, the first MK movie is a solid kung fu movie.

That's because Mortal Kombat was already Jean-Claude Van Damme VS Bruce Lee, so it was easy to make a movie out of it.
>>
File: IMG_7421.jpg (80 KB, 714x549)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>5815786
You don't wanna fuck with me nigga
I'm a big tough guy irl
Come say that shit to my face pussy nigga
>>
>>5815817
no, dude. I was joking, I didn't actually meant it, you know how it is
please, don't hit me in the face, I have to work tomorrow
>>
>>5814907
>talking shit about Mortal Kombat
Say that to my face not online pleb see what happens
>>
File: 1565786266659.jpg (84 KB, 680x680)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Fitting thread considering this board has become as bad as /tv/
>>
If they left the movie exactly the same but slapped Tim Burton's name on it it would have been a (mild) critical and commercial success. Like a 60% or RT and returned double it's budget.
>>
>>5811543
I mean Peach was a regular girl in the games you don't need Toads
>>
>>5815759
Silent Hill was crappy if you're really into the SH lore imo
>>
>>5810263
Saw it in theaters at the time, a week or two before Jurassic Park and forgot about it for a long time. It's still a guilty pleasure of mine.
>>
>>5815816
You say that, but Street Fighter has fundamentally the exact same setup and they managed to fuck that one up in the live action movie. Hell, that one even had the actual Van Damme in it.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.