[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_7407.jpg (70 KB, 613x386)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
Based or cringe?
>>
>>5810209
Based.
>>
Based.
I collect them and they're great.
>>
Retro soundtracks are literally digital music files. Makes no sense to press something with so little dynamic range on vinyl outside of kitsch novelty
>>
File: CDs.png (508 KB, 1023x495)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
Absolutely based
>>
>>5810209
>>5810215
>>5810216
What benefit does degrading a digital signal into an analog one have?
>>
>>5810260
For retro games at least, most of the soundtracks aren't actually taken directly from the digital files.
They are recorded from the console most of the time.
And analog has a certain warmth and soul that digital cannot capture.
>>
>>5810279
>For retro games at least, most of the soundtracks aren't actually taken directly from the digital files.
>They are recorded from the console most of the time.

source?
>>
>>5810289
I just noticed, especially with the soundtracks of The Legend of Zelda 1 and Final Fantasy I and II.
>>
>>5810259
>ABSOLUTELY GORE
>>
>>5810209
Still cringe. When faggots like >>5810216 like them you know it's true.
>>
>>5810209
based cringe
>>
>>5810427
>cringe

Bueno.
>>
Unless they're pressed from a master that was recorded in analog that someone had laying around because they're a gigahoarder, there's really no point.
>>
>>5810259
Is it a meme that these fuck up CD trays?
>>
>>5810209
shit-tier
Based would be playing your favorite songs in winamp using a native format that you can set to infinitely loop.

YES, I said Winamp.
>>
>>5810665
>Winamp
>not etc tracker
gayyyyy
>>
>>5810209
>digital audio
>analog format
Whats the point? Hipster street cred?
>>
>>5810827
sometimes stuff sounds nicer when the sound gets colored by your cartridge and amplifier
>>
>>5810209

base pilled fomo kino
>>
File: DSCF3160.jpg (367 KB, 1024x962)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>5810209
Not SOULful enough
>>
File: shouting.jpg (18 KB, 480x360)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>5810827
Listening to the Silent Hill soundtracks on analog is fun.
>>
I am working on a snes9x port/adaptation that loads ROMs and exposes just a super basic Winamp-style player so you can listen to SNES music that is being generated on the fly but with support for playlists, seamless looping, etc.

Is there any interest in something like this, or (better question) has someone done this already and I just don't know about it. The pain point is that there is per-game logic since it's not like the music is in a standard format for each ROM. I'm starting with Square games.
>>
>>5811258
I'd be interested, but I am interested to sample music and sound effects from games so that would be one way of doing it. If its easier than going to the sound test menus of the games then I'd be on it
>>
>>5811258

100% would be intersested, it offers a way to sample the games music very easily.

On the subject of retro music i recently found out the Dreamcast had a midi adapter released for the Japanese system.

How feasible would it be to burn some kind of midi software on to a disc that could be booted from the console? The hardware specs for the console are very similiar to some high end grooveboxes for the era, would be amazing to utilise the sound chip in some way.
>>
>>5811307
What was the official use for the MIDI adapter? What software used it?
>>
>>5810827
constitution, simplicity, collecting
You know, records
Are you that "fuck off with the liking stuff" knob from the other thread?
>>
>>5811258
Is this not a winamp plugin already? spc files
>>
>>5811350
can someone explain what exactly an spc file is? it must have the samples along with the timing/transcriptioinfo right?
>>
>>5810209
All physical memorabilia is cringe.
>>
>>5810209
Bought by hipsters for novelty. Nobody who bought it have a turntable, those who have it keep it sealed and listen to the rip on YouTube. It is neither but between.
>>
>>5810279
>tripfag
>being this misinformed
added a new filter today
>>
>>5810209
I hate how expensive most of them are even for brand-new vinyl records
>>
>>5810209
This thread was made already and everyone said it was cringe, you can stop making copy paste threads now.
>>
>>5810209
Neither, they're just not my sort of thing.
I'd probably buy one if the soundtrack worked as an album entirely separated from the game though, but most really don't. Mother 2's is the only one that comes to my mind.
>>
>>5811985
>This thread was made already
So what faggot?
>you can stop making copy paste threads now
Make me nigger
>>
>>5810209
>physical copies
Based
>>5810827
Physical copies
>>5811589
Die Gabe
>>
>>5810209
Yeah, let me buy a storage medium that damages itself every time it's played.
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 230x219)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
For me, it's transcribing all my retro video game digital audio files onto a metallic wheel and playing it through a wind up music box, listening to it that way.
>>
>>5810665
I do this.
>>
>>5812272
That's one of the most retarded things I've read this week.
A cylinder that size doesn't have nearly enough space to hold a whole song. You need to use a punch card or something with a much higher capacity. And a spring driven motor might not even last through a full song. Just use an electric motor. Or you do think people who don't use hand cranked phonographs for their vinyl are posers?
>>
>>5811480
fwiu it's the audio data extracted from the rom
one file is a wrapper for the entire game's OST (so it can contain a playlist, looping etc)
>>
>>5812335
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnb7EqfykF4
>>
Cringe.

Once again, another hipster fad that has quickly died off.
>>
>>5813589
What others have come & gone? I don't even remember any.
>>
>>5810209
>cringe
you have to be 18 or older to post here
>>
>>5810248
Oh soooooo little do you know

>>5810209
I collect only old vinyl VG music
>>
File: dum dum.png (331 KB, 960x960)
331 KB
331 KB PNG
>>5810209
>Based or cringe?
>>
>>5810279
>And analog has a certain warmth and soul that digital cannot capture.
That's not how ADCs work
Most likely it's your setup that is shit
>>
>>5811221
>>>5810209 (OP)
>Not SOULful enough
Love it!!!
>>
>>5813580
That faggot hasn't cranked it so hard since that time he walked in on his naked mom
>>
File: 1484945393792.jpg (1.26 MB, 1024x817)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>5813619
>Oh soooooo little do you know

I'm not the person you are replying too. but what are the perks of them? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>5810827
>>digital audio
There's no such thing. "Digital" is just a signal processing method. Audio is an analog phenomenon.
>>
>>5810289
Look up Data Discs. They tell you how they record them.
https://data-discs.com/products/streets-of-rage
"Audio sourced from the original NEC PC-88 files, recorded and supplied by Yuzo Koshiro, in combination with a 32bit/96kHz capture from a Mega Drive console."
>>
>>5810548
The uneven weight distribution puts strain on the spindle and they wobble which stresses the focus mech.
But that's on cd players.
Your PC DVD drive, car stereo, late walkman, etc. are data drives that spin these at high speed. And at high speed that uneven weight is a BIG problem. You'll do some actual damage but fortunately because it will wobble so badly chances are the firmware won't be able to lock onto the track and it'll just reject it before you ruin anything.
>>
>>5813804
>but what are the perks of them?
Not him, but the (audio) perks of LPs are because the best masters of god knows how much music is still the LP version, and will probably always be the LP version since the original master tapes might have deteriorated, been lost, or it's just unprofitable to remaster. For newer music, there really isn't any sonic perks unless the LP version was purposely mastered better. Though vinyl might have an incidental sonic quirk that makes it more pleasing.

>Mr Patrick Wallace points out that vinyl signals always come with a background of low-frequency noise due to pressing limitations & so on, and that some of this is vertical with respect to the stylus, and therefore appears out of phase and cannot be localised by the ears. He says it therefore is interpreted as 'surround sound' ambience on the recording.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/284561-hypothesis-prefer-vinyl-douglas-self.html

The soundstage on LPs do seem wider in fast switching comparisons in my experience.
>>
>>5811480
It's the SPU RAM dumped from an emulator running the game. So an SPC player runs the original game sound code with a few modifications to give player controls. So while it does contain the tracker info, it doesn't have to be in a consistent format because it emulates the snes sound CPU and hardware.
>>
>>5813617
Uh oh you'd better leave then fag
>>
>>5811343

official use for the midi adaptor was for a game called O-to-i-re (Japan release only)
>>
>>5813810
google DSP

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.