[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: scan0026-1.jpg (3.72 MB, 4285x2968)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>Increases resolution at the cost of framerate on a console that already runs games at low framerates
Why would anyone use the Expansion Pak outside of the games where it unlocks features or is necessary?
>>
maybe, just maybe because there is also an option to increase framerate but leave resolution alone?
>>
>>5809317
Some games required it as well.
>>
>>5809350
>or is necessary
>>5809345
name 1
>>
>>5809317
There are games where the Pak increases the resolution while having little to no impact on framerate.

Like..
All of the Factor 5 games (Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, and Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine)
Shadow Man
Turok 2 (the framerate isn't great no matter what, so may as well have better graphics)

Honestly the best use of the Pak was Quake 2 which used it to increase the color depth from 16-bit to 24-bit. Not only does this make the game more colorful, but it gets rid of all the dither dots, and also gets rid of blur because the N64 doesn't need to do dither filtering. And there's no impact to framerate. In fact the framerate might even be a bit better. It's the only 3D game in the entire 5th gen that runs in 24-bit color.
>>
>>5809351
duke nukem zero hour
>>
>lowers framerate
lol
>>
>Nintendo hardware is shit, full of crap and expensive
News @ 11. SNES/SFC is their only good console. I hope Nintendo bankrupt and NEC/Sega enter the video game business again
>>
>>5809795
don't cut yourself on that edge, guy
>>
>>5809317
We didn't know any better at the time. The marketing told us "Expansion Pack = better games"
>>
>>5809795
>Wanting to tarnish NEC and Sega with today's garbage games
Please no.
>>
>>5809351
donkey kong 64
>>
I used it on Hybrid Heaven, the framerate was bad but since the game is mostly semi-turn based, I thought the more resolution tradeoff paid off. It wasn't vital to have more framerate (although it would have been nice).
For something like Star Wars Racer I decided to disable the expansion, no point in pod racing if you can't feel fast. I know DC and PC is better, but I thought N64 version still feels fast enough, just not with the expansion.
For Pokemon Stadium I didn't notice any framerate difference, even on the mini games which are real time action. It was mostly higher resolution for the GUI and backgrounds/other 2D graphics, I think.
Anyway the real answer is that the Expansion is needed for Majora's Mask and that's one of the must haves on the system.
>>
>>5809317
I think south park could use it and still have low res mode
>>
>>5809317
Pretty sure Pokemon Stadium 2 didn't lower the framerate when using the expansion pak.
>>
>>5809916
Didn't increase framerate it just kept the game from crashing
>>
>>5809998
So it's required then.
>>
I believe there were actually games where you could increase the framerate if you had the Expansion Pak installed.
>>
>>5809368
Pokemon Stadium 2 too
>>
>>5809998
It doesn't even prevent it from crashing. It just delays the crashing by like 10 hours.
>>
>>5810001
I already said that, notice the >or is necessary. Of course you need it for DK64 and Majora.
>>
>>5810001
Yeah that anon is illiterate. DK64 won't boot without an Expansion Pak. Though they are correct that that is the reason the EP is required. The game has a memory leak and Rare couldn't fix it in time, so rather than delay the game to figure out what was happening, they went with the bandaid fix and made the EP a requirement, since it provided enough extra memory to prevent the game from running out of memory and crashing as frequently.
>>
>>5810010
OP is looking for examples of games where it is NOT necessary. Read the OP again.
>>
>>5809368
Complete bullshit. Turok 2 has a noticeably lower framerate with the expansion pak. Just watch the explosion in the first level with it on/off.
>>
>>5809973
Anyone here ever play the multiplayer in South Park? Fun as hell. Wonder if it's possible to set up a server.
>>
>>5810017
What about Perfect Dark?
I mean sure, the game will run. But you can't access the single player campaign and I think a couple of the multiplayer options are missing too.
>>
International Superstar Soccer 2000 looks much better but the framerate goes to hell
>>
>>5809317
>increasing polygon and texture mapping definition causes slowdown
anon, I think you may be on to something
>>
>>5809317
>parrots memes at the cost of outing himself as a tard
Why would anyone do this?
>>
>>5809317
imagine being a framerate fag when it comes to retro vidya
>>
>>5810251
this and imagine being a "i need the perfect picture" fag when it comes to retro vidya
>>
>>5810251
>>5810285
Imagine caring this much about anything other than food and water
>>
>>5810291
imagine needing substance to survive
>>
>>5809368
all three tony hawk games automatically use it on startup (for high res) with no sacrifice to framerate
>>
>>5809351
Majora's Mask
>>
>>5809351
Turok 2 had hi/lo rez in the options I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>5810024
It does make a little bit of a difference in some scenes but overall it doesn’t. When you actually walk around and play the game it feels equally laggy. So may as well use the Pak.
>>
>>5810251
imagine being a causal zoomer
>>
>>5809317
Battle for Naboo isn't really a game I care about, but it is a great example of how to push the N64 technology to its fullest potential. Factor 5 were fucking wizards, they were a huge part in the development in RE2 for N64 as well in regards to audio compression and porting over the PS1 sound basically flawlessly.

I forget where I heard this, but apparently one of the devs for Naboo shat talk Rare's Perfect Dark for inconsistent framerates that had they actually rebuilt the Goldeneye engine from the ground up as opposed to reusing and adding onto it, they probably would've seen nearly double the performance in the base normal resolution. Even funnier when you watch that Conker dev commentary let's play and how they sorta shat talk PD for using the expansion pack when Conker did so much without it, although I wonder how much better Conker could have performed if it used it at the very least as an option.
>>
>>5810559
>I wonder how much better Conker could have performed if it used it at the very least as an option.
Probably nothing. The Expansion Pak doesn't increase memory bandwidth, which is what the N64 *really* needs more of. It gives you more space for a bigger framebuffer and more assets loaded at once, but that's about it. Conker actually runs slightly under 240p, so that's an indication that they were already pushing memory bandwidth to the limit.

If you want a good idea how badly the N64 needs extra memory bandwidth, just understand that the console doesn't have much more of it than the PS1 does yet unlike that console it uses bandwidth guzzling features like z-buffer and anti-aliasing. On top of that, because it has a single-channel design, a lot of bandwidth gets wasted on bus contention between CPU and GPU.
>>
>>5810584
Intersting, wasn't fully aware as to why it even existed so that's insightful. So theoretically if devs wanted to, they could just make games run without it if they tried hard enough? Afterall the only reason why DK64 needed it was because of lack in dev time to fix a game breaking bug, and the expansion pak was a bandage of some sort. The real upgrade the N64 needed was the DD, but unfortunately that was delayed to hell and back and was essentially wasted effort only to be used for a single game expansion, artist software, and like 3~ games iirc.
>>
>>5809895
This. Im amazed how people seem to forget how much harder information was to come by.
>>
>>5810603
>The real upgrade the N64 needed was the DD, but unfortunately that was delayed to hell and back and was essentially wasted effort only to be used for a single game expansion, artist software, and like 3~ games iirc.
Nintendo is good for that aren't they, the DSI and New3DS were essentially wastes of time and money.
>>
>>5810619
And clearly still is hard to come by since people like OP are clueless as to what the thing does
>>
>>5810559
conker ran like shit though. it can't even maintain in the cutscenes.
comparing BfN to perfect dark is fucking retarded too. BfN is an incredibly simplistic game without a fraction of the ambition of perfect dark.
>>
>>5810603
The reason the Expansion Pak doesn't do a whole lot other than increase RAM size is because it was originally designed to just provide extra space as a disk cache for the 64DD, cause the tapes don't have instant access like cartridges do.

It was a really bad lack of foresight by Nintendo, on-par with Sega designing the Mega Drive expansion slot for a simple floppy drive in mind, while is why the Sega CD had so many bizarre limitations.

If the Expansion Pak had its own memory bus then the N64 would literally get Voodoo class performance (640x480 at a solid 30 FPS) just by plugging it in.

>>5810690
>BfN is an incredibly simplistic game without a fraction of the ambition of perfect dark.
Eh that's underselling it. The terrain engine does pretty complex vertex shading stuff.
>>
>>5810815
>doesn't do a whole lot other than increase RAM size
No. It does absolutely nothing whatsoever more than increase the RAM. If the Expansion Pak had magic unicorn rainbows then all kinds of impossible things would be possible. Such as you knowing what you're talking about.
>>
>>5810834
>It does absolutely nothing whatsoever more than increase the RAM
Well technically it increases the number of RDRAM banks from two to four which due to a quirk in the way RDRAM works can theoretically reduce the number of random-access refreshes if it's taken advantage of (even if data isn't linear you can change to the next bank without the latency from refreshing the RAM).

>Such as you knowing what you're talking about.
:^)
>>
>>5810003
Yes. Jetforce Gemini had this option
>>
>>5810847
Oops it's actually four banks to eight banks.
>>
>>5810847
>>5810867
>when you pretend to know what you're talking about and can't even get basic numbers right
>>
>>5809368
Level 4 on Turok 2 is almost unplayable with Hi Rez mode. But that game is a bad example of the benefits of the Expansion Pak. Games like Rogue Squadron look significally better without shitting the framerate.
>>
>>5810850
No it doesn’t.
>>
>>5810815
What kind of limitations did the Sega CD have? I don't think I'm aware of that.
>>
>>5811140
>get proven wrong
>person who proved you wrong was doing it from memory and didn't have the exact numbers memorized but knew it was doubled
>heh, this guy has no idea what he's talking about, my ignorance is affirmed as intelligence
>>
>>5811460
>not proven wrong
>person who parroted failed at even basic parroting
>butthurt fool tries to use someone laughing at his failure as proof his other failure wasn't a fail
>he fails yet again
>>
>>5811378
It can only scale and rotate at like 20 frames per second due to memory bottlenecks.

This is still better than anything the Genesis or SNES can do, though.
>>
>>5811378
Well for one it can't directly write to VRAM.
>>
>>5809317
Imaging playing the Shilltendo 64 anyway. It's shittier than the CDi. Looks like fucking Vaseline on a tv

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.