[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

It is time for the annual Final Fantasy VIII thread. In this thread we discuss the greatest video game ever made, while posting like gentlemen. To get us started, let's talk about the magic system.

>muh drawing magic
No you fucking retard. The only times you ever draw magic in ff8 are at the start of the game to build up a base supply for Selphie, 300 Aura from Seifer at the end of disc 3 and 300 Meteor from level 100 Ruby Dragons. You can also draw 300 Pain from Elnoyle if you're not using Quistis. You refine ~98% of your magic.
>but casting magic makes your stats worse
Yes, technically it does, but if you are playing the game properly (ie: not speedrunning/challege running) then this is negligible because you've got tons of stuff to refine to replace it.

Tbh the magic system in ff8 allows for such fun casting. A party consisting of Squall + two casters is peak jrpg casting. Using Cerberus for double/triple allows the player to "spellweave" which is just spectacular.

>why would you ever use magic when you can just break the game by junctioning Death to your status attack?
I used to do this when I was a child, but it got boring

Unlike every other game in the series, and unlike every other jrpg, the ff8 universe is brimming with passion. It truly is the greatest game ever made and we should talk about it more often.
>>
>muh playing non-optimally because it's ~FUN~
Fuck off.
>>
Playing through as we speak, just got to disc 2. Can't help but break the game every time i play. Disc 1 Lion Heart, all sorts of broken spells etc. Squall oneshot Edea, kind of anticlimactic. I always give in to Triple Triad and ruin the experience.Great game though
>>
Since FFVIII is so malleable, any ideas for "fun" challenges on my next playthrough?
>>
>>5729181
No. Take your 'fun', and return to your normalfag shithole.
>>
>>5729182
Since FFVIII is so malleable, any ideas for "boring" challenges on my next playthrough?
>>
>>5729191
Epic. Please go back.
>>
>>5729191
Sure, play it with starting weapons and no junctioning
>>
>>5729202
I did this last year, it was the most fun I've had playing this game since 1999.
>>
>>5729182
>>5729197
why are FFVIIIfags so easy to trigger? is it because they're in such hard denial about what an awful unfinished mess their precious game is?
>>
>>5729230
Why are you asking me?
>>
>>5729218
Was it hard?
>>
>>5729159
I like looking at the magic animations
>>
File: 1555042127845.jpg (123 KB, 420x400)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>5729159
Are you on the spectrum, son?
>>
>>5729159
>he doesn't know that low level runs ff4/5/6/7/9 are the most fun thing in jrpgs
>>
This gimmick ran its course and it wasn't very entertaining in the first place. Get new material.
>>
>>5729371
>>5729249

BASED retard trying to cope
chuck and fuck yourself
>>
>>5729371
Or you could fuck off and die in a hole with your precious Castlevania and Doom.
>>
>>5729138

>while posting like gentlemen

>"No you fucking retard"

Come on now.
>>
>>5729405
gay elf detected
>>
>>5729364
>i have to purposefully gimp myself to make this retarded baby series enjoyable
>>
>>5729138
being a fan of PC rpgs I never was much into console rpgs, this one was the one I like the most between vii, viii and ix.
>>
File: 1482610658781.jpg (29 KB, 412x430)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>5729138
>ff7 gets a high quality remake while ff8 just gets a shitty remaster
IT'S NOT FAIR
>>
>>5729442
>yes because grinding and breaking the game does exactly that: breaks the game
come on bro, you can troll better than this
>>
>>5729453
Tbh the ff7 remake looks like garbage so its okay
>>
Games with progression systems always have bad balancing issues. It's why I steer clear of any game that uses that shit anymore.
>>
>>5729456
>if i'm not talking about a level 1 game, i'm talking about grinding autistically
The games are piss easy, you summerfaggot.
>>
>>5729461
Is that why you steer clear of progressing in life as well?
>>
File: 1544290873687.jpg (95 KB, 565x313)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>5729478
>summerfaggot
>I have no argument so I will accuse them of being a summerfaggot
Ironically if you posted here year round you would know that ff8 threads are fairly common. Come on bro you can do better.
>>
>>5729487
Cool projection, bro.
>>
Why is it so hard to have a conversation about a game without legions of retards coming in and shitting everything up?
>>
>>5729602
Why do you lack self-awareness?
>>
>>5729138
My favorite part is Quistis and her whip.
>>
>>5729181
Do a non-junction run if you haven't already.
>>
>>5729453
>high quality
top tier bait
>>
>>5729159
>autism: the post
>>
>>5729181
I've toyed with ideas, but haven't had time to get to any of them yet. But:

>single GF run
Set a single GF to each character and make them use it the whole game. This is in regards to junctionable stats, useable skills and obviously summons.

>job system run
More complex, and I haven't planned it all out yet, but basically the idea is that you restrict what stats, spells and abilities characters use based in classes. So a knight would have no magic, and get boosted physical stats, for example.

>single job run
Literally just the job system, except each character is assigned a job, and can't change after that.

>no stat junction run
So the idea here is that you can still junction status and elements, as well as summon and use skills, but can boost no stats what so ever.

>no item run
No one can use items, ever, for any reason. In or out of battle.

>no tripple triad run
No playing cards, no refining cards, no carding enemies, no nothing. Totally remove all things cards from the game.

>all white mages run
The idea here is to simulate a full party of white mages in FFI. So no non healing magic for anyone, no non healer specific stats boosted. Use any items you want though. Possibly restrict summons as well. Really need to play with this idea more.

>Typical JRPG run
No junctioning, aside from skills and GFs. All stat gains from leveling (no matter how harsh it gets), any items or magic you want though. For the sake of ease, enc-none and level down are allowed. Think of it like a less strict no junction run.

>one character, one class
So like the name suggests, you always use a single character (obviously you can use a different, single character when the game demands it) and use only skills, stats, abilities and magic from one class for the whole game.

Working on more ideas, but I really need to play the game again to refine some of them more.
>>
>>5729138
>>Yes, technically it does, but if you are playing the game properly (ie: not speedrunning/challege running) then this is negligible because you've got tons of stuff to refine to replace it.
It's nice that you have a cumbersome work around, but honestly that part sucks regardless if you just keep refining more. It should have been just a flat skill increase regardless of how many you had of the magic, and the stronger level of the spell then the higher stat bonus when junctioned. Shouldn't matter as long as you had at least one junctioned.

FFVIII is still great and one of my favorite in the series
>>
File: 1557390204573.png (49 KB, 640x773)
49 KB
49 KB PNG
>>5729159
>no! video games cant be fun!
>>
>>5729442
Who said anything about gimping yourself being required to make the game enjoyable? It is all in your head you pathetic retard.
>>
Lagina has killed more bitches with his dick than Greg Unverse.
>>
Whats the way of making the most fun run? What should I limit myself to?
Is leveling to 99 harder or easier?
>>
>>5731919
Fuck me I should have read the thread
>>5730302
These are nice ideas
How about an only magic run, cannot ever use attack or limits?
>>
>>5731928
There are lots of ways to do challenge runs. I personally recommend no junction magic runs as the place to start.
>>
>>5729138
Man I really LOVE the atmosphere in the game, I wonder if there are any other games with similar ambiance. ChronoCross came close with its sea theme and sense of eerie emptyness but its not modern enough.
>>
So if Riona is the self insert character for the player and Squall is the husbandbait guy, what role does the rest of the cast serve?
>>
>>5732394
i'm sorry, what?
>>
>>5731278
You literally cannot challenge your brain playing FF unless you have double digit IQ. You can beat FF6, 7, and 8 with absolutely no mastery of their systems, and just using your strongest attack at all times/curing when necessary. Post-NES FF is the single dumbest fucking JRPG series on the planet. At least Pokemon has a competitive scene that can put the higher tier mechanics into use.
>>
>>5732394
>So if Riona is the self insert character for the player
Back to retardera, tranny.
>>
File: 1562886663182.png (547 KB, 635x640)
547 KB
547 KB PNG
>>5732498
Lol, nice try kid. Of course grinding/playing normally isn't challenging. They could have been tricky as a kid, but they are obviously more story driven than anything else. That said, the combat is fun regardless of whether you're playing normally or doing a challenge run.

You talk a lot of shit for no reason. What are you trying to prove, anon? Your life seems very empty and I feel sorry for you. If coming onto 4chin and talking shit about old video games that you don't like fills the void in your heart then good luck.
>>
File: 1555329300761.jpg (414 KB, 800x610)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
>>5732583
>That said, the combat is fun
>mashing confirm until my health is yellow, and then casting Cure is 'fun'
Absolutely fucking braindead. Then again, you can't expect anything from someone who uses 'fun' as an argument.
>>
>>5732586
I'm not using it as an argument.
>>
>>5732586
Time to take your ritalin and play Fortnite and Devil May Cry little zoomer.
>>
>>5732643
And here this retard doesn't even know the definition of 'argument'. Fuck off, summerfag. This time it isn't just ad-hom—you have demonstrated to everyone here that you are a teenager.
>>
>>5732651
I prefer DQ and SMT, personally.
>>
File: 1559938310449.jpg (36 KB, 640x648)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>5732652
Woah bro you sure are tough. You've demonstrated to everyone that you are a mega tough internet guy with a double digit iq.
>>
>>5729138
>unlike every other jrpg
If you need to tear down others to express your passion for what you love, it's a hollow passion.
>>
>>5729357
Yes definitely
>>
>>5732739
1.5 months remaining.
>>
>>5733823
Until you go back to school and stop trolling?
>>
>>5733919
No, until the person I quoted does.
>>
File: squall.png (129 KB, 512x512)
129 KB
129 KB PNG
>That feel when no Griever GF
>>
>>5729602

>Why is it so hard to have a conversation about a game without legions of retards coming in and shitting everything up?

This is the goal of all FFVIII threads
>>
>>5730302

>triple triad

Never bothered with it. Yeah, it gives good shit, but it takes too long, us too fiddly and RNG, and is a massive "game mode whiplash" that I never bother.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.