[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 2222.gif (117 KB, 640x480)
117 KB
117 KB GIF
Looking to do another run of fallout 1 and 2 and I'm wondering if there's any patches and stuff for 1 that I should be looking out for.
I've already done a full run through of both games.
>>
>>5728236
>fallout
fallout fixt
high res patch
>fallout 2
sfall
high res patch
killap's unofficial patch
killap's restoration project
>>
>>5728263
thank you you're a real gamer
>>
Currently playing Fallout Nevada and having a blast
>>
>>5728236
if i love icewind dale, would i like the first 2 fallouts?
>>
>>5728379
Probably.
>>
>>5728236
Is there a patch that fixes the broken AI of the companions like Ian for instance?
>>
>>5729643
Fallout 1 companions are disposable by design. Fallout 2 companions are really, really good and you shouldn't have any problems with them dying.
>>
>>5729649
Gotcha. It's just Ian is really fucking annoying to deal with because he keeps dying and getting me fucked in that Khans quest.
>>
>>5729823
It helps if you treat them not like members of your party where everyone gets to the end, but as random wastelanders who will inevitably take a dirt nap. Canonically that's how it all plays out, so don't feel like you're playing wrong if they get themselves killed, that's just where their story ended.
>>
>>5729643
Just make sure you give Ian a weapon with burst fire. Guaranteed to have a good time.
>>
Is it bad that I’m a zoomer and I looked up how to do almost everything in these games?
>>
>>5730757
Depends how long you tried. If you just read a walkthrough and did it, why even play games?

Fo 1 and 2 have a lot of buggy, unmarked and unintuitive quests though. Sometimes it feels like there's more than one solution and you're doing fine...
But no, theres not, or it's a bugged quest, or the way you want to do its unfinished content.
>>
>>5730783
I dunno, I've played it since without much of any guidance (at least the first game) to get a better ending, I guess the time limit and lack of hand holding was intimidating enough as a stupid kid. I also didn't actually follow it exactly, I just needed it for a general route that wouldn't end with every town razed at the end (which happened anyway, I did get the best ending possible but with bloody mess on my second playthrough). I think my enjoyment was more autistic and specific than most people's.
>>
>>5730757
Depends. Would you say that you had a lot of fun and enjoyed the experience overall?
>>
File: Screenshot008.jpg (510 KB, 800x600)
510 KB
510 KB JPG
Is there a way to add scanlines to Fallout 1 and 2? I was able to do it with Diablo II tonight, following this:

https://i.warosu.org/data/vr/img/0040/23/1496186645500.jpg
>>
>>5730948
Buried deep in your video card settings there should be a pixel shader option, they probably have one in there. It just applies to everything.
>>
>>5729857
Gotcha. That makes it easier for me. I kept trying to save him and then getting myself killed, I suppose using him to get rid of most of the bandits and then having him die would be easier for me I guess.
>>5730491
That's what I did, but he keeps fucking up his shots, wasting his shots and then trying to knife the enemy when he still has ammo and gets himself killed in a few seconds flat.
>>
>>5731105
To keep this as vague and spoiler free as possible: for fallout 1 NPCs, by the time you start running into mid to high-tier enemies, anything short of locking them in a room somewhere while you clear things out will typically end in them getting incinerated, blown to pieces, ripped apart, melted, cut in half, or riddled with bullets in the first round of combat.
>>
>>5731169
So companions are just meat shields in Fallout 1 then?
>>
>>5731212
Pretty much. If they end up drawing fire and dying instead of you, they did their job.
>>
>>5730757
Looking up almost everything is a bit excessive. But I can understand looking up where specific things go.

It's probably better to play as far as you can on your own the first time. It's not like any quests are critical.
>>
>>5730887
I'd say I liked it, but not as much as fortnight or pubg.
>>
>>5731270
Delete this.
>>
File: 1535861806889.jpg (261 KB, 672x787)
261 KB
261 KB JPG
>>5731270
>>
>f2
>use jet literally once
>addicted and heavily impaired for the rest of the game because INT is too low to start some bullshit quest i need for a cure or whatever
i literally couldnt handle any of my weapons and my melee proficiency became fucking useless. i lost like 6 hours of gameplay because of this stupid fucking junkie garbage. the addiction system is completely broken. for the love of god stay away from jet. literally not even once
>>
>>5734435
>low intelligence
>easily hooked on a feel good drug
>not smart enough to figure out a way off the junk
>broken
Sounds like it worked perfect and it was your character that was broken. A character with overly low intelligence, inherently, should have many self imposed stumbling blocks between them and saving the world.
>>
>>5730948
Diablo never had scanlines. It ran at higher resolutions than 240p.
>>
>>5734472
Scanlines aren't exclusive to 240p, when's the last time you used a CRT? 640x480 has visible scanlines
>>
>>5728263

I would be careful with the restoration patch and fixt. Honestly, the added content sucks balls and just causes dis-balance.

I would stick to hi-res / s-fall and patches. If you want good fan-made content, play Fallout Resurrection, it's great
>>
>>5734435
Taking more jet would reduce the negative effects. You also could have taken mentats too to boost your int to start the quest.
>>
>>5734612
Resurrection is fucking garbage. Early game is a terrible grind. Going in guns blazing to wipe out the end is what felt. Right but is retarded because more than half the game is in there.
>>
>>5734457
it wasn't even low intelligence. you literally have to have 9 int to start the quest, which ridiculously impairs every other stat if you choose 9 int in the beginning
>>
>>5734796
>have 5 int
>take two mentats
>have 9 temporary int
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>5734796
>ridiculously impairs every other stat
to be fair, Intelligence is the best stat in the game while there are at least three more or less arguable dump stats, S, E and C and every other stat can be easily boosted with drugs that aren't permanently addictive, so that's not unfeasible. I've done low AG playthroughs and after you achieve the mid-game loop of having near-infinite money, you also get near-infinite Buffout and Psycho for every encounter that warrants 10 AP. Drugs are busted.

I also don't think a quest for solving a drug problem scientifically should be imparted to guys that are merely clever. You only need IN 7 if your Science is high enough, too.

you can have an okay playing a Jet junkie anyway because at some point you can stockpile hundreds of drugs with little problem and enjoy a massive boost in personal power for short periods.
>>
>>5735118
I remember using two Jets while addicted entirely makes up for the addiction debuff. So as long as you have more Jet and it doesn't run out in the middle of combat being an addict pays off.

Especially since Jet gives extra action points.
>>
>>5735120
Well, I once managed while doing unpatched Jet Antidote shenanigans (you can keep stacking the Jet buff infinitely if you just keep treating it with Antidote that you also have infinity of), I went into something like 48 AP territory. Which, after half of Navarro went in flames, turned into 1 AP. Good thing I was close to exit grid to regroup. Fun times.
>>
>>5735128
https://youtu.be/zfvpeVe_i1A
>>
>>5734721

You really don't need to grind at all, at any point of Resurrection. Early on, you just have to manage your resources carefully and later you can make your life much easier by investing in a a couple of right skills / stats
>>
>>5737485
>You really don't need to grind at all, at any point of
any western RPG made past 1998, and I'm not certain if the date can't be pushed back further

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.