[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>PS1 game with the cutscene direction of a hollywood blockbuster
>Not even modern games can match the sheer masterclass of presentation on display
I always get chills replaying this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfSpSV_TPFs
>>
wish more games (specifically JRPGs) had aesthetics like this, just a tad more grounded and gritty without becoming totally boring like a western game
>>
>>5723318
Always loved the presentation and direction of this, Parasite Eve, and FF7. They had original and creative presentations that used the technology to do cool things.
>>
I never understood how to play this good looking game with the weird sphere aiming.
Don't care.
>>
Combat system that was originally designed for a full party, RISK was originally going to be an early form of FFXII's gambit system.
>>
>>5723318
Shame everybody dresses like a whore and the game isn't that fun to play at all
>>
>>5723406
>Shame everybody dresses like a whore
>>>Tumblr
>>
>>5723410
Dude you can wear intrincate lace and stringwork bodices and assless chaps all you want, I'm not judging you
>>
>>5723406
>Shame everybody dresses like a whore
BDSM Freddy Mercury was arguably the only thing the game got right outside of music and graphics.
>>
File: Callo Merlose.jpg (68 KB, 365x600)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>5723318
>PS1 game with the cutscene direction of a hollywood blockbuster
Vagrant Story's cutscene direction are much better than that. Also this >>5723323
>>
Give them props for going with puke brown colorless aesthetics before PS2 and XBox made it popular.
>>
File: UndercityWestWotML.jpg (80 KB, 800x600)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>5723915
Vagrant Story had color, but it's hard for an underground rock dungeon to be anything but brown.
>>
>>5723915
Truly ahead of its time, and I don't mean that as a good thing.
>>
This Game is excellent, I playing it right now thanks to a friend recommendation, the gamplay is very well made, smart and ingenious
+
if you use epsx to the max it look very nice.
>>
Menus and sokoban puzzles.
>>
Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements. Good-ass game, easily one of Matsuno's best.
>>
File: 1472623878070.jpg (460 KB, 1920x1080)
460 KB
460 KB JPG
>>5723915
>>5723976
How colorful do you expect old dungeons, catacombs, and caves to be? It had great lighting, atmosphere, and details which make it stand out far beyond the brown and grey era. Do you shit on Silent Hill for not being bright and colorful too?
>>
>>5723318
100% accurate.
>>
>>5723318
Incredible sound design too.

>>5723985
>if you use epsx to the max it look very nice.
You're disgusting.
>>
>>5723352
I love the presentation of ffvii, parasite eve, and front mission 3, but, somehow, vagrant story feels so dull and lifeless by comparison. It was their biggest swing and miss from that era.
>>
>>5723318
I wish the mechanics for this game weren’t so awful, I really wanted to beat it.
>Kept a weapon of every material I came across
>Run into boss immune to everything but a particular element
>No easy way to raise weapon element without grinding particular enemies
>Doing 0-1 damage against the boss with all my weapons without that element
Is there any advice on how to play the game the “right” way so I can beat it without issue one day? The story and setting were mesmerizing
>>
>>5726302
I'll keep it short
>spam gain life and gain magic on first dummy until you learn all chains
>raging ache and phantom pain are sources of guaranteed damage
>always use analyze when possible
>type > element > class when it comes to equipment, hilts are almost more important than blades
>always keep a weapon's PP and DP maxed
>always use buffs and debuffs when possible

material is trivial btw
>>
>>5726302
>Is there any advice on how to play the game the “right” way so I can beat it without issue one day? The story and setting were mesmerizing
No. That's because the game's mechanics don't work as one would expect them to.

It isn't until you are considerably into the game that your specialized weapons make any significant difference. Most people will deal next to no damage to the golem found early in the game. So the way to beat them is to chain combos starting with 0 damage and then progressing up.

In other words, the most thoughtful mechanic is pointless, and the mechanic that should be a last resort measure ends up being a massive crutch that is all you need to beat the game.
>>
>>5726350
>Most people will deal next to no damage to the golem found early in the game
>use Degenerate
>smash him with the club or the heavy mace found in the very same dungeon
>use reflect damage

wow so hard
>>
>>5726359
>use Degenerate
>smash him with the club or the heavy mace found in the very same dungeon
This is pointless. Source: I've actually replayed the intro section a couple of months ago and did this same thing (which I hadn't done as a teen) and to my surprise it didn't do anything of use. I even cycled through all weapons, and again, it was pointless.
>use reflect damage
This has nothing to do with the class/affinity system which is what I'm talking about, but with the RISK mechanic I called a crutch. And which is by far the easiest way to play Vagrant Story, because the game is simply broken.

Truth is, "Vagrant Story the JRPG" is awful. But it has a masterful presentation, visuals, music, and story. Pretty much everything that isn't related to the gameplay.
>>
>>5726379
blunt weapons worked fine for me after I powered them up with instill and repaired them
and if that doesn't work there's spirit surge and break arts
>>
>>5726030
>>if you use epsx to the max it look very nice.
>You're disgusting.

WHY?
>>
>>5723318
Pity about the gameplay.
>>
>>5726302
the mechanics are fine, although the info in the manuals is - at various points - incomplete, misleading, and incorrect. and the one piece of advice they give is to use a separate weapon for each monster type, which is barely effective and tedious due to constant menuing to weapon-swap.

what the manuals should have clarified is that class/affinity/type points are roughly four times more effective on defense than they are on offense, pp and dp have a linear effect from 0-max, and pp and dp have just as much effect on offense as cat points do.
[if you want full details, read the formulas section of the combat mechanics faq, although it isn't necessary (also, the main defense equation is missing a parenthesis that should be around the three stats). avoid general faqs because they're littered with incorrect info.]

everything else falls into place with experimentation as you go along, as you use analyze, don't bypass treasure chests, and take stock of what you have. but if you don't mind minor spoilers/spoonfeeding: all you ever need are three weapons - the strongest you currently have of each type (attaching grips with the most gem slots) - and proper use of gems, accessories, buffs/debuffs/fusion, and targeting. do that and the game is a breeze.

there's more than one way to skin this cat, but you never have to grind, combine weapons/armor, constantly weapon-swap, or rely on items if you don't want to. you don't even need to be good at chaining, although it'll certainly speed things up.
>>
>>5726030
dilate
>>
>>5726525
For chaining good you watch the actual weapon instead of reacting to any image or sound prompts.
>>
>>5726323
So grind at the beginning to unlock all chain abilities, then have a bunch of staves filled with PP for bosses, and a crossbow you spam Raging Ache with?
>>
>>5723318
Please call me guys
+1 (416) 433-4077
>>
>>5726841
Yeah if you wanna be cheesy
I remember one strategy to bring down the final boss was to bring 8 crossbows with maxed PP and just use Phantom Pain
>>
>>5726848
I absolutely do want to be cheesy. Tried playing it normally once and it ended in disaster so now I just want to bend it over. I read that staves had a higher max PP than crossbows so I was thinking that, but the range of the crossbow is probably more useful than the extra bit of damage.
>>
>>5726854
crossbows are two handed, you have to lose HP to make raging ache effective so having a shield might be a better option
>>
File: FB_IMG_1532925255079.jpg (73 KB, 634x600)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>5726848
>Phantom Pain
>>
>>5726859
Could I use my shelf at the same time or will I lose health still?
>>
>>5726864
Shelf?

Anyway, raging ache deals damage equal to 10% of your lost HP, so if your health is 100/250 Raging Ache will inflict 15 points of damage to the enemy
But having health that low is risky (no pun intended) and shields lower the damage enemies deal to you, that's why I recommend them over having a two-handed crossbow
>>
>>5726859
How strong is it to make raging ache?
>>
>>5726863
what is this and what does it have to do with my post?
>>
>>5726876
Shield sorry,
but I get what you're saying
>>
>>5726848
this is really dumb when you can just use break arts or magic, it's literally autistic doubling down on a bad idea because you don't want to do anything other than the worst strat (chaining is fucking awful 95% of the time)
>>
>>5726730
you press the button when you see the exclamation point, it's not the sword swing or the sound it's the fucking onscreen prompt you retard
>>
>>5726957
sure, but the option is there and it's really easy to abuse
It doesn't get any simpler than inflicting 100+ damage with a single chain attack
the only tedious part is using instill to max the PP for all those weapons, especially if you do it for every boss, which is why this strat is more of a last resort
>>
>>5726982
>It doesn't get any simpler than inflicting 100+ damage with a single chain attack
literally just open menu and select break art
>>
>>5727064
break arts aren't THAT good, especially early on when you don't have many gems or buffs to power them up
>>
>>5727090
unless you piss around unlocking chains for the first 2-3 hours break arts are you strongest offense throughout the entire game unless you have no fucking idea what you're doing at all
>>
>>5726967
No, you start pressing the button immediately before the mid-swing, so that the touch physically registers exactly at mid-swing. This way you factor out reaction time. The prompt and the instruction to use said prompt are misleading. It is you who are a retard.
>>
>>5727143
Also, I'll elaborate
>This way you factor out your, player's, reaction time.
>>
Gameplay is shit tho
>>
File: 1562458314492.jpg (45 KB, 720x700)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>5726863
>that one curling up her toes
>>
>>5727143
you giant fucking imperceptive quivering moron, the reason you can't get past 13 chains is because the timing of the input is asyncopated against both the swing and the sound, the exclamation mark moves back and forth across the actual rhythm so that you have to use your eyes and watch the fucking mark, the reason you can't fucking do that is because you're too fucking dense to get an actual gaming tv designed for lower latency

https://www.consumerreports.org/products/tvs/samsung-un55mu6300-389313/overview/
>>
>>5727351
I was consistently doing 30 per chain and merrily berserking my way through the game until I got bored of it (dropped it after the seemingly optional dungeon where you collected wine bottles).

The exclamation mark can just as well go and fuck itself.

Played it through emulator though, PCSX-R, if I am not mistaken?
>>
>>5727351
Also, have a thought ever occur to you, that however the fuck exclamation mark's appearance shifts in regard to swing animation, the moment of actual hit ALWAYS LIES WITHIN WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY following said exclamation mark's appearance. And if the moment of actual hit always get in, then whatever PERFECTLY coincides with said moment of actual hit, would also necessarily get in. That is, a button press timed to coincide with once again said moment of actual hit by means of starting that button press a particular, and always more or less constant for you, fraction of second earlier than yet once again said moment of actual hit happens.
>>
>>5726882
It's Drake
>>
>>5727426
They got em
>>
It feels fucking unfinished and I don't know why like some story bits just stop

Also why did the bad guy kill his gf?
>>
>>5727393
do it without savestates you hypercuck
>>
>>5728339
What do savestates have to do with anything I was talking about?
>>
>>5728369
lmao cope
>>
>>5728374
I didn't savestate mid-combat. For one I discovered early there were emulator-side bugs following that. I do not remember the particulars, I think some numbers were restored incorrectly or something to that effect. It didn't amount to any significant effect, but I didn't want risking my playthrough regardless, so I made do without mid-combat savestates. Did savestate in empty rooms though.
>>
>>5723318
What do you mean "not even modern games", anon. That's implying modern games generally have good (or even passable) cinematography
>>
>>5729668
Well they don't but you'd assume with 20 years of progress they'd come close or something but nope.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.