[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What's the best early (Pre-Sonic) Genesis/Mega Drive game?
>>
>>5656941
GnG, though it's better on Saturn.
>>
>>5656941
Herzog Zwei
Thunderforce 3
>>
Revenge of Shinobi or Thunderforce 3
>>
>>5656941
Ghouls N' Ghosts is the comfiest, hence the best. Runner up-Desert Strike.
>>
Whoops, my runner-up came out after Sonic by a year. Still, so how about Galaxy Force II-same year as Sonic 1, but I'm sure it came out before since it was an older arcade game.
>>
Forgotten Worlds
>>
>>5656975
Castle of Illusion is pretty fucking comfy
>>
>>5656952
Wasn't the Capcom Generation 2 version on Saturn a port of the arcade game?
>>
>>5657001
It is. A very warm game for the color scheme available.
Strider is a good 'n.
>>
Alexx Kidd
>>
Ghouls N Ghosts easily, but there's no point playing the port over the arcade original now. Shadow Dancer is excellent too though.
>>
MUSHA, duh. Any other answer is simply wrong.

Also SANIC games are shit and Nintendo-tier.
>>
>>5657049
>, but there's no point playing the port over the arcade original now
Each version has its merits and individual quirks. The Genesis/Mega Drive versions can be made as hard as the arcade by way of a code that changes the title screen. Fun fact, if you do the code on the Wii, it stays that way even if you deleted and re-download(ed) the ROM, the game would remain Daimakaimura until the code was re-done. So that was a time sensitive practical joke you could have played on someone if they weren't aware of the code.
>>
>>5656991
based
>>
TRUXTON!! TRUXTON!! AND MORE TRUXTON!!
>>
>>5657064
The genesis version's gameplay is more or less identical to its arcade counterpart, just with worse graphics, worse hitboxes and slightly worse audio quality. There's not much merit to it besides maybe fucking around with the codes and practice mode for what they're worth. The game's already the same difficulty as the US arcade release, which I believe is the proper difficulty level the developers intended. The japanese version's first loop is slightly harder, but this seems to come from maxed rank meaning that the first and second loops are identical in the japanese release, unlike the US version where the difficulty increases when you get into the loop.
>>
>>5656941
I think your photo speaks for itself
>>
>>5657027
Yep. Great port.
>>
Phantasy Star 2
>>
>>5657064
The only thing I prefer about the Genesis version is that it's on a cart. Does it have any other advantages?
>>
>>5657126
If I recall correctly, the ending is a bit better at home, but not by much. I prefer the Genesis version even thought its arcade brother has more sprites, colors; et al, but there's just something about the sound of the Genesis. Oh and not having to spend more quarters on the second loop is a plus.
>>
>>5657131
>quarters
What is this the 80's? Fire it up on MAME or get the capcom classics collection if you're into the whole spending money on plastic thing.
>>
>>5657141
>What is this the 80's? Fire it up on MAME
It's still a legitimate point. Look, if I go to an arcade and spend real money on it, I will do my best to get my money's worth, whereas MAME destroys that. Yeah I play it on MAME sometimes, but being able to essentially cheat that way takes something away from it.
>>
>>5657146
I guess but you could always just go for the 1cc
>>
>>5657156
True. It's tough to fight the urge to mulligan, though. The best I ever did on Ms. Pac-Man,(speedhacked) I got 120,000something on my last quarter. I played maybe four or five games previously, on a real machine.
>>
>>5656941
Either Shadow Dancer or MUSHA
>>
>>5657096
*guitar riff*
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
*guitar riff*
MY NAME IS TRUXTON
I BLOW THINGS UP
IT MAKES ME HAPPY
MY NAME IS TRUXTON
I'M TRUXTON
SCREW YOU!
*guitar wailing*
>>
>>5656941
Populous
>>
>>5657163
With MAME it should be easier because you can sneak in some quick runs during the day in between doing other stuff, and after a while your sessions stretch out to 20-30 minutes anyway, which is satisfying imo.
>>
>think about our family's genesis game collection
>which games were pre-sonic
>none of them were

we rented super thunder blade and oh my god was it bad. we learned to avoid most games that had the old genesis style packaging. for the longest time I thought sonic 1 was the original pack in game and I didn't know how much earlier the genesis was on sale before my family got one (christmas 92)
>>
>>5657204
My family didn't get a Genesis until Sonic 2 was the pack-in game, and that's because I begged them. They were always a Nintendo family.
>>
>>5657204
>we learned to avoid most games that had the old genesis style packaging
Good leave the classics to those who appreciate then. More for us.
>>
>>5657141
That collection sucks; it's just (bad) emulation. The Saturn port is the best place to play it, with the PS1 being second, and then either GroovyMAME or FBA in Retroarch with latency reduction in third.
>>
>>5657227
>That collection sucks; it's just (bad) emulation
Isn't it patched?
>>
>>5656941
I really like Space Harrier 2 on the machine. It's a bit easy compared to the arcade original, and it's really choppy, however.
Super Hang-On isn't that bad, but it runs a bit slow.
I want to say Truxton on Genesis isn't bad, but it's been stupid long since I've bothered.
Shadow Dancer is one of my absolute favorite Genesis games. It's got a bunch of issues (too many lives, boss design absolutely sucks, bonus stages take too much time between stages), but it's still a great game.
Super Monaco GP is decent. Bit of a downgrade from the arcade though.
I want to say Phantasy Star II, but I haven't gone through it. Started it, but never finished.
Granada is pretty good.
The Thunder Force games are classics.
I think MUSHA was out before Sonic 1, that game is fun. Bit too easy though, you can very easily enter a state where there's effectively zero danger from incoming attacks. Compile had a really bad habit of including some kind of overpowered setup in their shoot-em-ups.
I like Flicky, but it's got that overly loud, clangy synth for most of the themes, and it's a port of a fairly simple 80s arcade game. There's a rather nice piano synth in the bonus stages, at least.

Personally, I'd say the best is probably Shadow Dancer.
Maybe Revenge of Shinobi, but I don't feel like playing that game as much as Shadow Dancer.

All are considered by US release date.
I'm missing a few more good games from before Sonic 1.

>>5657204
Super Thunder Blade is particularly terrible for an early Genesis game.
>>
>>5657049
Great choice, might be the best game in the whole series. I love how it's the only game where all the weapons have merit and there are multiple ways to play at a high level.
>>
>>5657231
On which platform? Not that it matters; they're all bad. The Saturn and PS1 versions of GnG are running natively on the hardware.
>>
>>5657242
>Super Hang-On isn't that bad, but it runs a bit slow.
Incredible game in the arcade, but it's one that needs analogue control.
>>
>>5657254
>On which platform?
PlayStation 4.
>>
>>5657260
Control isnt nearly as big a deal as the fps being garbage
>>
>>5657227
>saturn
It's just like the arcade, but now with load times!
>>5657248
Easily, chess item spawn order adds so much without being a retarded clusterfuck like it is in SGnG, the pacing's on point and the rng is very well balanced besides that last dickish item spawn before beelzebub. If only the red arremer AI wasn't so retarded, it would be perfect
>>
>>5657285
It's really weird, the Genesis version of SHO feels kinda like if the game was running 15% slower than it should, and this is the NTSC release.
OutRun's port runs at 20fps, but it also actually feels like it's running at full speed.
>>
Strider
>>
>>5658525
Ooh, actually, Bonanza Bros.
>>
Does Sega Tetris count?
>>
>>5657242
>tfw some of the most fun I've had with Vidya in the past few years was playing games to completion on my Mega Drive.

Bought Shadow Dancer for £3, like 6 years ago and never touched it until 2017. Was having people round to watch E3 and we had nothing to do so I just set up the MD and randomly played Shadow Dancer in front of them until I completed it and it was fucking great. The game feels really nice to play once I understood the enemy placements and the boss movements. The game is quite easy once you understand those, but finding them out is the real challenge and being able to take down all the bosses without losing a life feels great. I still thought it was stupid you can get an extra life in the special stage if you hit no ninjas.

I also bought GnG last November. Never thought I'd finish the fucker since I knew it was hard but decided to give it a shot a few weeks before Christmas and it was a hell of a lot of fun. I remember the final checkpoint had a ladder you had to climb that had hands that if you mistimed it would hurt you and instead of timing the hands I was able to work out when it was safe the climb just by listening to the music and moving from there. Luckily the game wasn't too much of a dick about not finding the special weapon in the 2nd playthrough since it restarted you in the final level instead of redoing the whole game again. the hardest part of the game for me was the platforming, that third stage was fucking horrible. Still, had a nice little audience while going through it as well since I was playing it in front of a few friends as well.

I usually emulate due to how easy it is, but whenever I get a chance to actually play through some vidya on the original hardware, it's a great experience. SD is a fantastic game and GnG is great too.
>>
>>5657027
It's on playstation
>>
>>5660448
It's on both. The first poster said Saturn.
>>
>>5656941
SHINOBI is always the right answer. I didn't realize that Shadow Dancer was before Sonic, but it makes no difference. SHINOBI games are the best Genesis/MD games.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.