[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: contra_ac.jpg (95 KB, 338x338)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>favorite entry?
>least favorite entry?
>which ones have you 1cc'd?
>have you played any recently?
>>
>>5645405
Super Contra. I suck hard at the others
>>
>favorite entry?
Super C as far as the /vr/ games go
>least favorite entry?
3 if we're not counting the PS1 games because those are easy choices. The mode 7 stages suck, it's a boss rush game outside of that which is a flaw, and unlike Hard Corps which is stylish as fuck and has a lot of characters, it's very drab and simple.
1 and Super Contra both NES and arcade, Operation C, 3, Hard Corps, 4 and Rebirth
>have you played any recently?
Only Hard Corps Uprising which is god-tier besides the gay anime art style
>>
>>5645505
Deal with it faggot, HCU is based
>>
HC feels like a spinoff rather than a main Contra game.
For me it's Super>III>I
>>
>>5645520
>>5645493
What is your take on Ghost Babel?
>>
File: 1558032904972.jpg (44 KB, 552x414)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>5645664
wut, you mean the MGS game? Never played it
>>
>favorite
Just doing /vr/ games
HC > III/Super C > 1
>least
Either of those PS1 games
>1cc'ed
1 w/o code, Super C, Rebirth, and HC.
>recently
HCU, wasn't really all that impressed with it.
>>
>>5645520
Nah, it's Contra: Zoomer Edition.
>>
Hard Corps gets my vote for having so many weapons at once, being able to switch between firing modes on the fly and dat fuckin slide. Super C on the NES is my runner up.
>>
>>5645782
First soulless now zoomer edition, are you only capable of thinking in 4chan buzzwords?
>>
>>5645520
Just by judging from the gameplay alone it's a bad follow-up to HC.

>air dashing, what is this, some gay anime fighter?
>doesn't let you carry up to four unique weapons like HC
>takes too long to clear, lets you save in between missions
>has a health bar, while only the Jap version of HC had health
>>
>>5645976
>it's a bad follow-up to HC.
Exactly what makes it good, it's more like an over the top version of the classic games with some new elements that evolve the formula, instead of just a stale boss rush game.
>doesn't let you carry up to four unique weapons like HC
>air dashing
So? I don't care how closely it resembles HC. The levels and bosses warrant the use of the air dash anyway. It has actual levels, with platforms and different routes, not just flat planes with some enemies.
>takes too long to clear, lets you save in between missions
The first point is correct and one of the legit criticisms, the second point is wrong, that's the Rising mode for modern fags, arcade mode is where it's at.
>has a health bar, while only the Jap version of HC had health
With how many extra lives you got and how little punishment dying had in HC you might as well have health.
>>
>>5645405
everyone except Hard Corps, and I must say 3 is my favorite since it's all unique encounters from beginning to end.
>>
Quick question, if anyone has played contra rebirth on WiiWare. I've tried playing it with a wiimote but my character will stop dead if I try to shoot diagonally.

Does anyone know if this is by design, or would the problem be solved with a Wii classic controller.

I tried a GameCube controller as well, no dice unfortunately.
>>
>>5646132
Just tried it on Dolphin to make sure and it lets me move and shoot diagonally. Something must be fucked with your setup.
>>
File: contra3credits.jpg (50 KB, 640x360)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
Who is "DMG" team?
>>
>>5646796
The GameBoy team.
>>
>>5645405
>Favorite
Contra Hard Corps - Its the fastest and has lots of enemies on screen at once. The difficulty is tough but not bullshit.
>Least Favorite
Super C--not counting the 32bit Contras. It felt like Contra NES rehashed with worse backgrounds and music.
>One's you've 1cc'd.
Just original NES Contra.
>Just played through Contra III and Contra Hard Corps about a month ago.
>>
>>5645405
Hard Corps, the MSX game, 1/SC/III/HC, HC -- not sure if I want to learn the Alien Den or Missile ending next.
>>
File: radrynex.gif (688 KB, 159x144)
688 KB
688 KB GIF
>>5645784
Yeah, the weapon system in HC is fantastic. Konami must've been inspired by Thunder Force.
>>
File: 0002.png (14 KB, 224x280)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
fugg, almost had the 1cc
>>
File: frame_0000_1280w.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
It's a bad day to be a Contra fan
>>
>>5653161
This complete misunderstood of Contra's humor smell of a western developer.
>>
>>5653167
The style and graphics are just completely fucked, looks like mobile shovelware. If the gameplay is just a Neo Contra clone then it might be ok, but I doubt it.
>>
>>5645405
>>favorite entry?
Super C, original arcade
>>least favorite entry?
Contra Force. What a piece of shit.
>>
>>5653201
Looks like Contra: Fornite. The Contras have had some bits of humor here and there, but the games were always kind of scary and unironic manly.
>>
>>5653161
This is the dumbest shit. I mean that one PS2 one had Animal Contra which was some bulldog but that was a different time. We should be beyond that silliness now.
>>
Anyone else think Contra had the better regular levels, but Super C had the better special stages?
>>
>>5653443
Yup, Contra 1 levels had more layers to them, but Super C has the best special stages in the series by far, they could make a very solid top down run n gun based on them.
>>
>>5653443
Yes, I prefer top down to behind the back, but main levels of both games were pretty good. What I didn't like what the spinning mode 7 specials of Contra 3. Just felt like a gimmick to show off mode 7 which was common in early SNES games.
>>
is the collection worth it? Been wanting to play w my brother again
>>
>>5645405
Contra, Super C, Contra III, Hard Corps are all masterpieces. And the overrated Gunstar and Metal Slug series don't even belong in the conversation.
>>
>>5645791
The 4chan buzzwords are embarrassing cliches, but at least they're accurately applied here. HCU is for the bad taste deviantart flash-loving modern nerd.
>>
>>5653317
Most old games, even when they were ridiculous, were sincere. It's the lack of sincerity that makes indie retro throwbacks such obnoxious winky retrocities; and they're so proud of their sub-shitty writing that they force you to read pages of it through pace-breaking cutscenes.
>>
>>5653995
The fuck? Did you say the same thing about Dolphin Blue? Regardless, the visuals aren't why it's good, it's all in how it handles the gameplay.
>>
>>5654038
No, I don't know what Dolphin Blue is.

Uprising plays fine, especially when it's not directly compared to the best Contra games, but it doesn't play nearly well enough to look past everything else about it. I think I'd even take Contra 4, and maybe even Rebirth over it.
>>
Toss-up between Hard Corps and III
Hard Corps is just a fucking fun and funny game with how insane everything is
III is more balanced gameplay-wise
>>
>>5654047
It doesn't merely play "fine", it plays extremely well and btfo's even the best Contra games by having properly lengthy levels with a variety of challenges, solid boss fights and mechanics that work quite well with its run n gun nature like a scoring multiplier encouraging you to run quickly, even the weapons are fairly well balanced.

I love how you say "even" when those are the only other 2 traditional Contra games with good level design since the NES days, with the rest being boss rush shit. HC/3 babbys are quite something.
>>
>>5654085
I don't need to be encouraged to run quickly, and an irrelevant number isn't going to sway me one way or another. Running through Contra quickly and smoothly feels good--that's why you should do it. Everything about Uprising feels tacky and bland, and so not only is there no encouragement to run through it quickly, but there's no encouragement to run through it at all--a number at the top of the screen isn't going to fix that.

4 and Rebirth suck compared to the 8 and 16-bit series. The "soulless" and "zoomer" labels those 4chan tards stuck to you are 100% accurate. Might as well embrace them.
>>
Hard Corps hands down. The soundtrack alone gives the game insane replayability, and it was comfy af to play, very responsive and with over one gorillion weapons. Contra III comes pretty close
>>
>>5654101
It feels even quicker and smoother in HCU due to the speed of it with the dash, the levels being multilayered and a greater emphasis on environmental hazards and platforming to make it more engaging than just run and shoot. Scoring just adds more depth to it. Do you actually have arguments to substantiate your opinions or do you just have repetitive memes?
>>
>>5645405
Is this collection good or unplayably laggy?
>>
>>5654129
No. I don't like or dislike art for pedantic nerd reasons that make for internet boards posts that other pedantic nerds discuss ad nauseam. Philistines can list a hundred true observations about what makes some charmless modern indie garbage superior to its authentically beautiful primitive predecessor, but anyone with taste will play it, look at it, listen to it, and immediately know it's shit. So no, I don't have any arguments to substantiate my opinions; and no matter how many times you talk about level design, scoring, mechanics, quality of life improvements and smooth difficulty curves, the reality is that your taste will always be total "soulless, zoomer" shit.
>>
Hard corps has great music and gfx but holy fucking shit it's such a slog.

>stage starts
>massive explosion and flying shit for 10 seconds
>reach big bad
>10 second cutscene and explosions before the fight starts
>interruption after interruption

I'm playing for action not this shit.
>>
>>5654190
You are such a pretentious twat, it's a video game, if it plays well that's what matters ultimately. This is like the "boomer" equivalent of jerking off over graphics, except instead of that you jerk off to how warm and fuzzy it makes you feel inside, it's just pathetic poser shit.
>>
>>5654194
Yup, it's where the series shifted from being focused on gameplay to being more about presentation and spectacle, seen not only in those little cutscenes and interruptions but the entire focus on boss fights. It's not that bad once you learn all the bosses since you won't be restarting the early levels much. The boss of the jungle level is absolutely insufferable though.
>>
>>5654294
It's not the equivalent of jerking off over graphics, that's exactly what I'm doing--and over audio, and over physics, over the game as a whole, instead of breaking it down into meaningless chunks so I can try to convince someone that a subjective experience is better because of the following list of bullet points.
>>
>>5654194
There are some bad bosses, and there are one too many text dumps, but honestly I still love the game and it's my favorite shoot 'n scoot of all time.
>>
>>5654341
Some of the character designs are disgusting, but the passable girl character, and to a lesser extent the robot, save it. And yeah, it's an amazing game. One of the best of all time. Fast, snappy, unforgiving and earnest.
>>
>>5654337
A holistic evaluation would involve actually looking at the gameplay, which you completely sidestep in favor of talking about the audiovisuals, all while dismissing anyone who has different tastes or priorities as a zoomer and spouting memes. Come the fuck on.
>>
>>5654351
The problem with Hard Corps is that it's not really fast once you get past the over the top presentation. Most of the bosses boil down to picking the right weapon, standing in place shooting for a few seconds, dodging an attack and then standing in a different place for a few seconds. There's only a small handful of bosses that force any kind of movement, and even less of them have overlapping attacks. The gameplay loop is slow paced and defensive, and the stages are too short and plain to compensate.
>>
>>5654358
>all while dismissing anyone who has different tastes or priorities as a zoomer
Not just anyone. You in particular. Is there a synonym that you'd prefer?
>>
>>5654383
Based on what exactly? My preference for HCU? I'm 29 and have been playing Contra games since I was a kid thanks to owning a dendy, give it a rest.
>>
File: mightnotbeshit.png (34 KB, 619x266)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
Some nice news about the new Contra that got announced; the original director of Contra 3 and Hard Corps is also the director in it.
>>
>>5654373
HC still has the greatest boss fights in the series. And I'd rather there be short non-boss sections than long dull ones (see Gunstar Heroes' fifth stage, or Metal Slug 3's final level).
>>
>>5654503
Not a big achievement considering most of the games aren't even focused on boss fights
>>
>>5654407
Oh, you're Euro/Russian. Makes sense.
>>
>>5654407
Have you even beaten HCU? It has some pretty shit missions, especially 5.
>>
>>5655081
"Beaten" yeah, haven't 1cc'd it yet though. That autoscroller is the only truly shitty mission and I'm used to some crap levels in Contra games
>>
File: intro1eu.jpg (16 KB, 370x324)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>5655031
Europe never got Contra. In fact, the first game I ever imported was Contra III so I could play as Rambo and not IG-88.
>>
>>5655154
Soviet bloc countries did get to play Contra usually thanks to the dendy though that was in the 90's. That or some shitty bizarre bootleg, likely Pokemon themed.
>>
>>5653167
Nobuya Nakazato is director. Could be a bad trailer of a fun game.
>>
>>5655226
Doesn't seems like that. Also, Contra games were not a single guy. They had some pretty good pixel artists of Konami doing the art and musicians like Michiru Yamane or Akira Yamaoka doing the soundtrack.

Western Contras had been pretty mediocre until today. Contra 4 was more passable, but it was pretty much a remix of various Contras without much personality. Also, western Rocket Knight was not very good too.
>>
>>5654009
Agree. The moment I saw the panda I knew this was goint to be over the top irony. Western studios are almost unable to do sincere action without recurring to hyperrealism.

Contra games take elements of western pop culture, yes, but the design and philosophy is completely japonese.
>>
>>5655267
To be fair this is a successor to Hard Corps you're talking about, a game that deliberately added ridiculous wacky shit and was inspired by western comic books and cartoons for its sense of humor and style, instead of being sincere corny action like some of the other games. The problem with this one is that it just lacks a coherent style and looks like mobile MOBA shovelware.
>>
File: 1446514394171.jpg (16 KB, 418x247)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>5655267
>The moment I saw the panda I knew this was goint to be over the top irony
>>
>>5655293
I was not a great fan of some of the humor in the Contras after Hard Corps, but this new release is just too over the top, with that color palette and the irony. It looks something more like Team Fortress 2 or Fortnite.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (150 KB, 1280x720)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>5655321
Then you are a dullard. Contra is all about over-the-top insanity.
>>
How come M2 was the only one who could make a good Contra game besides Konami?
>>
>>5655402
You're the dullard because you can't see the difference. Just because one thing is over the top and so is another doesn't mean that they're tonally similar.
>>
>>5655727
M2 couldn't either because they have no decent artists. They're only (great) tech guys.
>>
>>5655727
Wayforward and Arcsys both did a good job in their own way but yeah Rebirth is like Contra 3 except with all the shit parts taken out of it.
>>
Which is easier--Hard Corps or 3? I want to 1cc at least one of them this summer.
>>
>>5654485
Kinda makes sense. The new one seems like it plays something akin to what the top-down levels in 3 were trying to go for.
While the cast of characters seems like something you might see from Hard Corps. Fuck it, I'll buy it.
>>
>>5657020
3, the game showers you with lives and bombs out the arse, and it's much shorter and has lower replay value than HC.
>>
>>5657020
Hard Corps is easier if you use Fang + punch exploit, with Browny it's about on par with 3's normal mode, with the other characters it's a bit harder. Neither game is hard though, just pick the one you like more, and both are 1cc'able in under 10 hours total if you play smart.
>>
File: kawaii_browny.jpg (65 KB, 759x1052)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>5657041
What was Konami thinking making Browny's homing shot so strong?
>>
>>5656920
And none of the great parts.
>>
>>5657114
Contra 3 doesn't have any great parts
>>
hard corps was my favorite

only got to play it thanks to Genecyst emulation back in the late 90s
>>
>be me
>8 years old
>only kid who knows the "code"
>can beat the whole thing no hit in 20mins
>2019
>rage quit at first death in level 1
>>
>>5657135
Yes, stage 1, 3, 4 and 6.
>>
>>5657238
Plus stages 2 and 5. The game's a masterpiece, but not the kind that Liger-drawing wide-hipped low-test nerds would understand.
>>
>>5646132
>I tried a GameCube controller as well, no dice unfortunately.
Sounds like something's fucky.

Rebirth master race.
>>
>>5657247
>liking the mode 7 stages
Dave pls go, you have a family to take care of now.
>>
I beat Rebirth on psycho mode, what do I win?
>>
>>5653986
Retard
>>
>>5657238
>listing a dull shit autoscroller as a "masterpiece"
LMAO
>>
>>5657247
This is gold, imagine defending that gimmicky tech demo trash and thinking your tastes are anything but irredeemable shit. Are you the retard that went on about "soul" earlier?
>>
>>5657287
Rob Lowe?
>>
>>5657281
>>5657287
He said great parts the fuck is wrong with you, retard?
Take your meds.
>>
The GBA version of Contra 3 is unironically better than SNES.
>>
File: lance_rebirth.jpg (152 KB, 581x623)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
wtf is this lgbt bullshit doing in my contra
>>
>>5657287
Uh oh. Somebody's too uncoordinated to use shoulder buttons to rotate.
>>
>>5657251
Rebirth sucks. DeviantArt's first Contra.
>>
>>5658691
The retard is strong with you young tardwalker.
>>
>remember icycalm wrote some wild article that talked about contra shattered soldier being fascist
>can't find it anymore since web archive doesn't seem to let me search for the contents of web pages and his actual site is half dead half paywall

man I really wanted to read it again
>>
File: 3EY4Bn0V_400x400.jpg (10 KB, 240x240)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>5658691
>The GBA version of Contra 3 is unironically better than SNES.
Might I interject for a moment?
>>
>>5659103
Not enough shitty mode 7 stages for you?
>>
>>5659098
>g-git gud
Cope. They're the easiest stages in the game, with garbage-tier bosses that don't do much to boot. Konami should leave that style to devs who know what they're doing like Namco
>>
Any idea on how to remove this paint from my old Contra cart without fucking up the sticker?
>>
I don't get why the developers, mostly western developers, keep making modern Contra funny.

I mean, they're fighting alien biomechanical murdering abominations, this shouldn't be funny or "lol so randumb". Giger isn't funny. Alien isn't funny.
If Gears of War isn't funny, then why Contra was made a complete joke were fucking Che Guevara is the Galactic President and Lance Bean is a faggot?
>>
>>5661175
Can thank Hard Corps and its gay presentation for that
>>
>>5661183
Fuck you, HC's silliness was great.
Besides Contra has always had some degree of zaniness to complement the gravity.
>>
>>5661193
Theres a world of difference between slightly silly gamey abstractions of the early games and a shades wearing furry, boss made entirely out of mooks and shopping cart skeletong among other things. Hard Corps is very much the source of the cartoony over the top so randumb humor
>>
Old Contras had a different kind of silliness. It was like, lets say, tokusatsu or cape comics, where everything is extremely silly yet serious.
>>
bump

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.