[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: maxresdefault.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
OG Super Mario Bros. 3, or the dark horse, Super Mario Advance 4 Super Mario Bros. 3?

First time playing SMB3 in like 10+ years.
>>
>>5579129
Did you get the patch for the Wii U e-Reader levels for the GBA version? If not, try that "SMB3: Extended Edition", just cuz it saves.
>>
>>5579129
The Wii U VC release includes the e-reader levels so thats the definitive version for me.
>>
>>5579134
>>5579135
Don't got no Wii U. This is /vr/ remember?
>>
>>5579134
>>5579135
I think there's a patched version for the gba that has all the levels.
>>
>>5579129
Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3 is the only correct answer.
>>
>>5579151
Isn't the GBA version though exactly the same?
>>
>>5579149
Yeah, there is.
Also recommend applying a voiceless patch for purists.
>>
>>5579145
No, the Wii U VC's version of SMA4. It packs in all the extra e-Reader levels and more. DuckDuckGo it, anon
>>
>>5579153
No. GBA version had a number of changes, and some of them were actually gameplay changes that made the game easier, such as making it safe to touch upside down spinies.
>>
>>5579135
>The Wii U VC release includes the e-reader
boomer who's never seen this. neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KW4DQnzlUU
>>
File: remake_SMB3_all.jpg (946 KB, 1472x2792)
946 KB
946 KB JPG
Original.
All stars and GBA are ugly and soulless
>>
>>5579135
>The Wii U VC release includes the e-reader levels
>>5579293

im trying to download it from
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2714/

How tho?
>>
>>5579627
>IMPORTANT: This “hack” was officially created by Nintendo and distributed on the Wii U’s eShop as a Virtual Console game.
>The patch attached to this page was simply converting the Game Boy Advance version of the game into the Wii U version, and contained embedded official content not present in the former version.
>Such content is illegal to redistribute due to copyright and has been removed.

Get it from somewhere else.
>>
The original has different physics from the SNES version at least, dunno about the GBA one.
>>
I first played it on the GBA, then on the NES. I thought the NES version felt much better to control, though there was a large gap in time between when I played both so take that with a grain of salt.
>>
>>5579518
the redesign kinda does away with the whole "set-design from a play" feeling. including mario walking off stage right at the end of the levels.
>>
>>5579627
Wii U version of SMA4SMB3 has been a separate rom in No-Intro GBA rom set for a few years.
Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA) (Rev 1) (Wii U Virtual Console)
>>
File: el1m8zbq7zm21.jpg (17 KB, 444x487)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>5579752
>Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA) (Rev 1
>>5580363

ok ive been looking any of you want to help me. Be patient I have autism
>>
File: 1507002655776.png (34 KB, 196x197)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
I played Super mario advance before i ever touched Super mario bros 2, so its odd for me to go backwards and not hear "THAS AZ FAH AS YOO GOO"
>>
>>5580525
holy fuck I wish Birdo still had that voice and not the farting and honking noises they gave them later
>>
>>5579518
You should stop posting so often, it got stale.
>>
>>5580486
There's an European and Japanese version of that official romhack.

What SMB3 really needs is a romhack that
>takes the Wii U variant
>Europe version, so it's multi 5
>fixes sleep function
>reverts nerfs made from SNES to GBA
>adds the holograms on the sky from NES
>adds back the 8th world, and level clear B&W level backgrounds
>make level 8-1's forest optional
>change the shitty GBA BGM to the NES music, which is superior anyways
>for the e-Cards that have ingame effects (hard mode, veggies everywhere) that still have to be scanned, and were not preinstalled to the Wii U variant
>make it so they can be bought with coins from the e-World (tracked by the game but otherwise useless), they even have icons for them
>replace one of the 3 toad houses in e-World with the new shop
>combine the minigames in one single toad house
>use the remaining toad house to read user generated levels (the same way GBA original read ereader levels from the SRAM after they were first installed) and replay data
>user generated levels and replays will be on SRAM
>as samples, restored versions of the lost levels from NES version will be used, with enemy showcases
>>
>>5579518
Sorry the new levels are more important
>>
The e-reader levels were disappointing.
>>
>>5580486
Can you not find it? Here's the patch.
https://gbatemp.net/download/super-mario-advance-4-wii-u-virtual-console-patch.33847/
>>
>>5579518
Wow, the fresh new one has so much more soul than the old crusty one.
>>
>>5579129
>>5579135
>>5579134

I have a 100% save file for a GBA emulator including the e-reader levels, is there a way to convert that save file to a Wii U VC save file? It's piss easy with DS games but I've yet to figure out GBA or SNES.
>>
>>5579518
Back in 1993 nobody bought faggy "remasters" that looked nearly identical to the original.
The only thing they fucked up was using the same track for underground music in SMB1 and SMB3.
>>
>>5579134
That's solid advice just don't go around saying you beat smb3 if you use the save feature
>>
>>5581494

You mean quick saving, or saving between levels?
>>
>>5581497
Both
>>
>>5581534

Fuck that. I get how Quicksaving is cheap but the game is improved with saving between levels/worlds. Having to go back to the start if you're interrupted or need to stop playing is more tedious than fun
>>
>>5581310
It can't be a 100% save.

The e-reader level data is part of the save file. The original version loads the levels from the save file and can only have 32 levels max stored. There's separate consumable e-reader powerup cards that change levels.

The GBA rom modified officially for the Wii U VC loads the e-reader levels from new internal section in the expanded ROM, and allows all 38 levels released ever on ecards, not just the 32 level limit. I don't think it can load levels from the sram, but it still can scan and play a level or powerup card (not preinstalled unlike levels) if the ROM is loaded with an emulator that actually supports ereader emulation.
>>
>>5581702

It was ripped from the Wii U version, patched over a GBA rom, had all 38 levels beaten with all the advance coins, and the main game too, doesn't get much more 100% than that.
>>
>>5581572
The original didn't have a save feature.
>>
>>5581494
i'm sure everyone cares a lot about your gamer cred from 1990

the warp whistles are in the original game partially to make it bearable to play if you can't sit down and beat it all in a single go
>>
>>5580525
JUST WHAT I NEEDED
>>
>>5579129
SMA4 has screen crunch, worse audio than the All-Stars versions, and JUST WHAT I NEEDED, though that last point is admittedly worse in SMA1 and SMA2. Play either the NES or All-Stars versions, and then just play the e-Reader levels from SMA4 (you can play it from the start if you have a patch that adds them, don't need to play through the game to get to them).
>>
Anyone know a way to add the e-reader mods?
I wouldn’t mind playing around with veggies or Luigi physics
>>
>>5585525
Use this to modify your ROM file http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/680/
>>
>>5579145

By that logic, there's no Super Mario Advance 4 Super Mario Bros 3
>>
>>5585593
based
>>
>>5585551
It doesn't seem to work for me, is there any documentation I can refer to?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.