[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Witht the recent amazing Super Mario Land DX release, I've been in the mood for some other hacks that modernize, improve or add some QoL features to games to make them more accessible to new players while refreshing the experience for veterans. Let's talk improvements, /vr/, here are some of my favs:

>The Legend of Zelda: Modern Classic Edition
Updates the game with graphics based on the Oracle games, adds an Automap feature.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1295/

>Metroid + Saving Unofficial Update
Adds save files, automap when pausing (and a minimap on the corner), reduces missile door costs to be more in line with modern Metroids, health refilled 100% when respawning.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4471/

>Castlevania II English Retranslation + Map
Retranslates the game to be more accurate to the japanese version (while not being handholdy like the Simon's Redaction version), adds an in-game map straight from the japanese version manual, and a save file.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

>Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition
Based on the japanese version, it restores most spells, skills and learning levels from the original release. Unlike J2E, retranslates most names with their updated names from the DS/PSP remakes, and also adds a dash button for good measure.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337/

I'm currently searching for a good FF1 NES improvement, so if you know about one or another game improvement hacks please post it here. We kinda should have a database of this shit at hand.
>>
an obvious one is SML2DX done by the same guy
>>
Gronds Final Fantasy is the best bugfix.
Maeson FF3 is great.
>>
>>5574901
I've heard the Grond version adds unnecesary things tho, so I dunno if that's the best one.
What did you think about it?
>>
>>5574516
That mario land hack looks like shit. Not only did they unnecessarily zoomer-up Mario's sprite, but they added nothing to make it "DX" except color (unlike the SML2DX hack, which actually had unique touches and features added). It's just a desperate appeal for attention characteristic of the "bandwagon generation" and adds cringe to the reputation of this title where there wasn't before.
>>
>>5574961
the original sml has aged like shit
>>
>>5574551
Also the Metroid 2 color version by the same guy.
>>
>>5574516
I think the Mother 25th Anniversary version counts.
>>
>>5575068
This looks really fucking good anon. Will try it at once
>>
>>5575031
>aged
even if one were to accept this concept you might as well say pong aged like shit. super mario land is as basic a platformer as they come, more basic than the original smb even. can't say there's much to """age""" about it. it's one of those games for the GB that's so basic it doesn't look like a disgusting mess even on the calculator-tier screen.
>>
>>5575068
>>5575073
this looks terrible
are we looking at the same image?
>>
File: GGonSMS02-2.png (650 KB, 1261x481)
650 KB
650 KB PNG
Would Game Gear to Master System conversions count as improvements ?
>>
>>5575210
what do they add besides tons of empty space into levels not designed to utilize that space? I've noticed that these conversions never fix the title screens, too
>>
File: 1032screenshot1.png (13 KB, 256x224)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>5574516
Seconding the Simon's Quest retranslation. The in-game map is cool as fuck and you can actually move the cursor to highlight places' names
>>
>>5575075
I love when idiots get all pissy because of the word 'aged'. Retard mad rambling sentences always follow.
>>
>>5575220
You can't possibly be serious about the extra space? The biggest issue of 8/16bit 2d games are the amount of times you can't fucking see anything because your character takes up too much screen and shit is too zoomed in. Some turbo-dumb developers thought boomers liked huge ass sprites and it took ages to recover from that trend.
>>
>>5574516
Changing the sprite in that Mario Land hack was a fatal mistake.
>>
>>5575240
bruh fuck these boomers Apex Legends is still relevant goddammit
>>
File: a32a68dfbf0772a.gif (15 KB, 1024x576)
15 KB
15 KB GIF
>>5575251
The original sprites were shit though... worse than you probably remember...
>>
>>5575262
Those look adorable.
>>
I like this topic, but they're doomed to fail due to purist autism.
>>
>>5575242
You missed the point, retard. Most of these conversions are lazy as shit and don't modify the level layouts to take advantage of the added space.
>developers thought huge sprites were appealing for some reason
It was because of the poor lighting back then. Small characters were harder to see in dim lighting, causing a lot of complaints. For more, read up on Harmony of Dissonance's OCD graphics.
>>
>>5575274
>Removing slowdown BAD
>Improved translation BAD
>Fixed mechanics BAD
It must be to justify having hoards of plastic carts containing buggy data on them.
>>
>>5575262
Nah they look good.
>>
>>5575282
>countless retards failing to understand japanese and game design GOOD
>>
>>5575280
>don't modify the level layouts to take advantage of the added space.
There is no "added space." The levels are fine, just now you can see them better.
>>
>>5574516
Why not use this sprite?
>>
File: 245.png (3 KB, 240x125)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>5575303
>>
>>5575310
Pixel-wise the SML1 blocks are smaller than the SML2 ones. SML1 Super Mario is 2 blocks tall, hence you would have to resize that sprite down.
>>
>>5575170
>muh "its different so it sucks" poster
>>
>>5575068
>that decent looking world map and snowman
>those shitty npc sprites and square trees
very conflicted on this one
>>
>>5574516
>improvement hacks
>makes the game worse
ya don't say
>>
>>5575031
>>>/out/
>>
>>5575470
>>5575475

Like clockwork >>5575274
>>
>>5575441
don't forget the reddit text
>The Vast World of [notice me liking this]
>>
>>5574516
This is the one I prefer when playing FF1:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1631/
Fixes all the bugged shit, allows for longer names in some areas, changes some item/spell names to be more consistent with other entries in the series (e.g. ra/ga/ja spell tiers), B button dash, and some other optional things you can apply.
It's hardly necessary though, the only bug that would noticeably impair your playthrough in vanilla is the handful of spells that don't work, and you can just look up which those are.
>>
>>5575292
>you should waste time learning an irrelevant gook language just to play some kids games "as they were intended"
pure, unadulterated cringe right there
>>
>>5575597
>whoosh
try actually playing some retranslations sometime. many of them are like Working Designs' worst but worse
>>
>>5575641
why on earth would i use a translation patch for an already translated game? do people really think some fat weeaboo is a better localizer than a team of well adjusted people with good hygiene getting paid to do it?
>>
>>5575652
this, exactly, sad to say
>>
>>5574961
Man this board is absolutely obsessed with zoomers
>>
File: MarcusLindblom.jpg (91 KB, 500x750)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>5575652
>thinks one's a fat slob and the other isn't
they're both slobs
pic related, Earthbound localizer
>>
>>5575682
the difference is that this slob has a job
>>
>>5575689
>hurr durr everyone I don't like is unemployed
>>
>>5574516
>With the recent amazing Super Mario Land DX...

It was horrific. The Mario sprite clashes with every block near head level - AND it doesn't seem to play right; I'm missing the edges of platforms when I shouldn't be. Every sprite in the game could have been re-done in colour with only the tiniest of sacrifices.
>>
>>5575708
struck a nerve did I? it's ok, i'll leave you be to google translate your 70 hour obscure JRPGs for free
>>
File: file.png (18 KB, 250x250)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>5575262
They could've made Mario look like the absolute Chad he was in SMB1.
>>
File: rlq14dn_5.png (3 KB, 320x288)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
The most I've enjoyed a pokemon game since they stopped being retro. Probably changes too much to just be considered an "improvement", but it's worth trying for anyone familiar with the original game.
>>
>Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts Restoration
This hack removes the slowdown and restores a few things that were censored

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3473/
>>
>Yoshi's Island: Pacifier Edition
This is a simple hack that mutes Baby Mario’s crying and the timer countdown sound that normally plays when Yoshi is hit and loses Baby Mario

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2658/
>>
>>5575652
You should only use re translations in extreme cases like Breath of Fire II.
>>
>>5575292
>15fps
>good
no, that's hardware limitations
>>
File: sml fixed.png (8 KB, 1024x576)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>5575262
Using only the colors from the OP image, I've colorized those sprites in a more tasteful way.
>>
>>5575860
this looks 1000x better than that hack
why do these spergs feel the need to inject their own art into these? just colorize it and stop, that's all it fucking needs
>>
>>5574961
it's based on the dk94 sprite you fucking idiot.
>>
>>5575913
>obvious samefag
>>
>>5575590
>http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1631/
If you're going to play that and you don't like the font you can always try this.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2269/
>>
>>5574516
For Final Fantasy VI I highly recommend Woolsey Uncensored Edition. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386/
>>
>>5575860
>nigger koopa
why
>>
>>5576323
Its a bomb and a koopa.
>>
>>5574913
There's a bugfix and a full on hack. Get the bugfix.
>>
Any Ninja Gaiden hacks that remove the bullshit jump from 6-2?
>>
>>5575068
Eh, I never really liked this hack. Sure, they increased your EXP gains, but they've also made the encounter rate dumbed down to the point that battles rarely happen. This ends up making you just as underleveled near the end of the game without grinding, like in the original.
>>
Is Romhacking.net a stable website? Won't it suddenly disappear or turn into a Discord only trannies are allowed into?
>>
>>5575597
Personally I learned Japanese to move to Japan. And it worked out.

Some of the hacks mentioned ITT look really great. It would be great if the hackers also supported the Japanese versions of games, but I understand why they don't. I'd like to play as many things as possible in the original Japanese, but I guess it doesn't matter in NES platformers and such.

Also so far I've seen that retranslations tend to be pretty cringe.
>>
>>5575664
There's no way that guy isn't a zoomer himself. Posts like that just scream overcompensation. I grew up playing the GB Mario games and they both look great. I don't think there's a single game on the handheld that wouldn't look better colourised. This isn't fucking classic cinema. This isn't talking about colourising Casablanca or something. It's a fucking 8 bit handheld with a shitty B&W screen. This is all done for free too.

If you had nostalgia for this you wouldn't be saying it was shit. You'd only be doing that if you're some kid who spends too much time on /v/ and thinks it's cool to hate everything for no reason.
>>
The last time I played SMRPG, it was many years ago and I used one of those enhancement ROM hacks that hardwalled at the Smilax fight because it was bugged. Is there any recommended patches for SMRPG yet?

>>5577208
cringe
>>
>>5577214
>cringe
>>5577232
>cringe
For someone that learned a 2nd language, you seem to have a limited vocabulary for your first
>>
File: Untitled.png (5 KB, 638x134)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>5577239
It's a common word.
>>
File: ok.png (6 KB, 639x142)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>5577239
cringe
>>
Has anyone ever attempted to ROM hack the NES Metal Gear to make it more like the MSX2 version with the double exclamation mark alerts and ration/ammo drops when punching enemies.
>>
File: nes_ng_map.jpg (301 KB, 1440x992)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
>>5577073
tfw still haven't beaten 6-2
>>
>>5577257
I have only seen rom hacks that bring the palette closer to the MSX version.
>>
>>5577257
I've only seen a hack that replaces Snake's sprite with the one from MGS Ghost Babel. Pretty neat.
>>
File: 2741screenshot4.png (5 KB, 256x224)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
This is so fucking cool.
>>
>>5575797
I've been meaning to get into this, but the lack of level scaling for wilds kinda kills my motivation. What's the point of all the free roaming if I still have to traverse areas in a certain order to level efficiently and get what I want?
>>
>>5577484
The extra detail on the backgrounds is cool but not really digging the rest. The graphics were never really an issue with that game to begin with, I would be more interested in someone to port over the "physics" engine (or whatever you call it) from later games to get rid of some of the jankyness.
>>
>>5577257
i'm surprised no one attempted it yet to be honest
>>
>>5575860
Feels about the same to me.
>>
>>5577484
>mega being made to look like he's at a gay pride parade is cool
>>
>>5578342
That's already happened within the past two months, but git gud
>>
>>5577936
don't worry about it too much
>>
>>5574516
Dumbing down games for zoomers isn't "refreshing the experience for veterans" kiddo
>>
>>5577073
>>5577330
just despawn the enemy bro
>>
>>5578598
colorizing a game is not dumbing it down for zoomers aspie
>>
>>5578781
>reading comprehension is not something dumb zoomers can do
colorizing a game for zoomers isn't "refreshing the experience for veterans" kiddo
>>
>>5575227
Anything that makes that digital abortion playable is a fucking godsend.
>>
What about Pokemon? I've heard wonders about Pokemon Red++, Pokemon Perfect Crystal and Pokemon Throwback.

Does been able to catch all Pokemon in-game counts as an improvement?
>>
I mean I like Mario Land as well but its clearly near the bottom of the list for mario platformers and its strange to see people be so possessive of it
>>
>>5577214
>It would be great if the hackers also supported the Japanese versions of games, but I understand why they don't.
works both ways kid - there's a couple jap hacks I'd like to see work on english versions
>>
>>5575220
They are useful for people who like to play games on original hardware, but only have a Master System or Genesis. I usually play GG conversions on my Genesis with an Everdrive.
>>
Currently playing OP's Metroid DX and goddamn wall jump is a god-send in this game.
>>
>>5575210
>is less colors and improvement
Only if you're a hipster who's into old B&W euroshit. For zoomers it's definitely not.
>>
Bump
>>
>>5578547
I mean, it's still a cool idea, but it ultimately makes my playthrough not much different from a run on the regular game. It would be cool if I could just waltz into any area and grab any Pokemon I wanted for my starting lineup, but instead I end up with the usual beginner area fodder.
>>
>>5575425
You have no actual opinion or argument here, so why did you post?
>>
Automap in Zelda 1 is a bliss.
A guy is also working on removing the rupee limit and adding real time weapon swapping.
>>
>>5582996
>Not playing the superior Crystal romhack
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3840/
>>
>>5582996
I guess the beginning of the game isn't changed a whole lot unless you pick a weird starter, but once you hit level 30 or so it's pretty fresh imo. The number of convenience changes just make it nicer to play too, like instant save loading and pokecenter healing
>>
Any of these for PS1/N64 games? There are some psp games with hacks to give them second analog support on the vita, would be cool to see that kind of thing in more old 3d games

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.