[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: supermario64.png (147 KB, 400x280)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
I love retro games, but I can't stand 3D games. Maybe it's because my last before adulthood hit full force was a SNES and I fell out of gaming for about 3 years. When I came back, 3D and N64/PSX we're the norm.

For some reason, it just doesn't click with me. There are many I've tried, but I just can't get into it. Just wondering if anyone else here thinks the same?
>>
>>5505852
Games didn't start getting really good until 3D kicked in. 3D adds a whole new dimension (literally) to what is possible with freedom and interactivity in games. The early FPS genre is leagues ahead of the games on "classic consoles" like SNES, etc.
>>
I can't stand 3d with gamepad but PC games with mouse+keyboard are alright.
>>
>>5505907
I've been using a gamepad more on PC since I played dual monitor Portal 2 when a bf was over earlier this year, and continued doing so alone to stay accustomed to it when I played with others online. It's comfy.
>>
>>5505852
I assume you're talking mostly about console platformers and not every 3D game ever made, right? The good shit in early 3D was mostly multiplayer and racing games, the collectathon shit was to give lonely kids 1000 bananas to collect with their funny animal friends so that they wouldn't jump off a bridge.
>>
>>5505890
OP here. I've tried most of the big hitters during that time (Mario and Zelda 64, Tomb Raider,.etc), and I really want to enjoy them, but I usually just end up frustrated.

Although, I've found I do better on slower 3D games like the Elder Scrolls stuff and similar. Is this because I missed out on all of the "WOW Factor" stuff when these games were released?
>>
Are you like fucking 40?
>>
>>5505998
>>
Nah you're not the only one. I love 3D and 2D games myself but there are some people who can only get into one. There are quite a few people who liked 2D but weren't able to really adjust to 3D gaming, especially among the older crowd.
>>
>>5505890
How could you be so wrong
>>
>>5505998
This question makes no sense. About 15 years ago I played some 2D games on the regular and my now 39 year old sister would always complain about these games not being 3D like 2D was deprecated. It's not a question of age.
>>
>>5505852
da fuck level is that
>>
With Spyro and Castlevania 64 I was like "This looks like shit and plays like aaaaaaaass". Long before James was the Nerd. Mario 64 felt like a tech demo, so it wasn't so bad although I often wanted to strangle Lakitu.
When 5th gen was announced, I was so psyched for the inevitable Metroidvanias (that was where platformers were headed, you see) and JRPGs with sprawling maps, beautiful sprites and smooth controls, but instead we mostly got janky floating polygons and failed experimental control schemes.
Thankfully portables belatedly picked up the torch for a while and consoles finally figured out how to do 3D right.
>>
>>5506328
Sky Land Resort from Super Mario Star Road
>>
>ps1
>every game looks like its having a seizure

at least emulation can fix it but damn thats jarring

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.