[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks Make sure to check your spam box!

File: super-mario-land.jpg (815 KB, 1548x1548)
815 KB
815 KB JPG
Redpill me on why super mario land was the best mario game of all time.
>>
It is one of my favorite Mario games. The sequel is inferior in every way.
>>
>>5503542
I know right! I found this mario game to be different when compared to the rest of the mario games.
>>
A game I could play over and over again for endless hours on road trips, despite (or perhaps because of) its short length.

As a child it was very mystifying how the game felt somewhat like a scaled-down version of Super Mario Bros., with a similar looking Mario sprite, but with so many wild and crazy differences such as the desert setting for the first world and unusual enemies. IIRC this game was Yokoi's baby and Miyamoto had next to nothing to do with it. It definitely gave it its own flavour.
>>
File: SML_sticker.jpg (30 KB, 281x355)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
I mean, it'd be contrarian to say it's the best Mario game of all time, but it's a pretty good game and it helped cement the Land series for the eventual Wario Land series.
Anon is right, it feels like a bizarre/occult-themed take on original SMB, and it works.
Land 2 is just much more ambitious and complex in all ways, and the Wario games went even further, but they all owe it to the simple, solid SML1.
>>
>>5503561
I just find SML2 really boring. Mario has no weight, killing enemies is unsatisfying, the game is piss easy, it feels slow... The enemies and locations are really original, though.
>>
>It's another daisyfag tries to make people remember sml episode
lmao
>>
>Not designed by Miyamoto
>The Super Ball
>Can-Can theme instead of the usual Star Man music
>Egypt, Bermuda, Easter Island, and China rather than more traditional levels found in Super Mario
>Soundtrack by Hip Motherfuckin' Tanaka
>Princess Daisy and Tatanga, rather than Princess Peach and Bowser
Such an odd game, yet such a wonderful game, too, breaking from some of the Super Mario traditions. Perhaps that's why the black sheep games are some of the best ones (SMB2 USA, Sunshine). I'd say it's short length also helps it's quaintness.
>>
>>5503539
>redpill me
About what
>>
File: 150px-Spikydillo.png (35 KB, 150x139)
35 KB
35 KB PNG
Gtg fast
>>
That slamming ending tune is my favorite song on gameboy.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VztCEY5wFW4
>>
It definitely had the some of the best music, Sounds amazing even in stereo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb33Qnbw520

BUT the physics kind of sucked, and the level design wasn't that great. Mario Land 2 is far better
>>
>>5503574
The same can be said of Super Mario Land, except instead of having no weight Mario has no momentum and falls like a rock. Super Mario Land is definitely a weaker Mario title, even though it was ambitious and was an excellent early sign of the Gameboy's potential.
>>
It's unique and interesting with the best soundtrack for a 2D Mario.
>>
>>5504076
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwtykJj47Y
>>
>>5503936
>muh Miyamoto
a lot of good games were made without his smiling shit ass
>>
its good, but SML2 had more of that unique settings but having good mechanics too
>>
>>5503542
>The sequel is inferior in every way.
I've always felt this way. I'm kind of baffled that Mario Land 2 is held in such high regard as one of the best GB games of all time. I'm well aware that neither game was made by Miyamoto or his team, but while the sequel was more ambitious, that only made its shortcomings more noticeable. The level design feels claustrophobic because of how big Mario's sprite is. Visibility is poor, and it's not always clear what parts of the graphics are supposed to be in the foreground or background.

Meanwhile, Mario Land 1 is piss-easy and bare-bones in terms of features, but I find the whole experience to be tighter and more polished, and therefor more fun. Mario Land definitely aims lower, but actually hits its target, as opposed to Mario Land 2, which is trying to rival the SNES games, but ends up feeling like a chintzy Newgrounds flash game running on GB hardware.
>>
>>5504238
He's talking about how it's odd for a Mario game, you fucking edgelord.
>>
>>5504574
The only flaw of ML1 is that Mario falls like a brick as soon as he gets near a cliff. It's easy to accidentally kill yourself that way.

And the main thing from ML2 that I really wish Mario World had is the way the spin jump works. It's perfect and I would like World a lot more if its spin jump worked like that too. Having it mapped to a different button is just uncomfortable and basically requires you to play with a controller. Meanwhile, the NES Marios can be played on a keyboard with no problem and actually control better than with a controller.
>>
>>5503539
I love Tatanga. Wish he was in more than two Mario games.
>>
>>5503539
best soundtrack, no question

gameplay was meh
>>
>>5503539
Does /vr/ like Jeremy Parish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGS2xqXtLFc
>>
File: 1358815890251.png (5 KB, 429x410)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>5504038
>>
Christmas 1992. I got a Gameboy pack with Tetris together with this game. That was the first gaming system that I owned. Good times.
>>
>>5503539
Because Shiteru Fagamoto had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>5505192
I'm here and I don't like him because he shat on Metroid II.
>>
>>5505476
He earned that right by manually mapping it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09I967iijk
>>
>>5504574
You did a pretty good job summing what I could never really articulate about why SML2 feels so unsatisfying to me.
>>
>>5504958
>Tatanga, the Sphinx, and the non-Birdo SMB2 bosses will never come back
>we will never see a 3d Sarasaland or Subcon
>>
>>5504238
That's his point, idiot.
>>
>>5504000
Was this character a Sonic diss?
>>
>>5505495
lmao you don't even need to map that game bro, just spider ball everywhere bro

the incredible feeling of discovery that comes from spiderballing several screens into the air to find a whole new section of the game is exactly what makes metroid II so amazing and satisfying
>>
>>5504164
cringe as hell
>>
>>5506552
There are multiple hedgehpgs in the land series.
>>
The super ball was a more fun power up than any SMW and SM64 power up desu.
>>
>>5503539
I love love love how much it strayed from the normal Mario formula when it came to enemies.
Little Chinese Vampires, Moai Heads, giant Spiders, Sphinxes,
I admire all Mario games that stray from the regular goombas and koopas
>>
>>5503539
Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3
Then what was the SNES Mario called? Super Mario Bros. 4?
NO
It's a continuation/expansion of Mario Land and it's called Super Mario WORLD.
For as good as the NES originals were, we never did get Super Mario Bros. 4 or any other continuous sequel.
But Super Mario Land lives on in Super Mario 3d World.
There.
>>
>>5506841
THIS
When was the last time your fireballs collected coins for you?
>>
>>5506961
Is this bait? Super Mario World IS Super Mario Bros. 4.
>>
>>5503561
Holy shit I had those stickers.
>>
>>5504038
I LOVE the music in this game.

https://youtu.be/N7Ol9YqAu6M
>>
>>5509878
good taste anon, this is truly one of the greatest tunes of all games, a work of beauty.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMNBOGI1eE
>>
So, is SML1 ever going to get a proper DX treatment like SML2 and MetroidII or do only sequels deserve such treatment?
>>
>>5503539
What we really need to do is redpill all the retards with this opinion
>>
>>5510903
Yep
>>
>>5510885
What's the story on this?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.