[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: last-retro-console.jpg (21 KB, 250x310)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
What could have been done differently to turn it into a success?
>>
>>5433071
Better games;
Less focus on arcade games;
DVD;
A usable controller with two analog sticks;
Even trying to have copy protection;
Not killing the Sega Saturn so early, but making an effort of driving it home;
More money (might be incompatible with the last point).
>>
>>5433071
More arcade style games
>>5433081
>Less focus on arcade games;
retarded and blue pilled
>>
>>5433081
It had fantastic games. The only chance they had was out of their control, which was sony not hyping the ps2 in the interim between dc's release and ps2 coming out. So really no chance.

Pirating dc wasnt all that straightforward. Not all burners and cdr's worked for burning iso's, and even then you still had to have the means to get those images. Most people were still on dialup in 2000. I remember downloading the small iso's like MVC2 on dialup. Didnt get cable internet until 2001 (blazing fast 300KB/sec).
>>
>>5433089
Focusing on arcade games when the players wanted adventures is what killed Atari 7800 and ultimately hurt Sega as well when they didn't learn.
>>
>>5433071
A full five year support.

Looking back at sega it might not of been the low console sales that killed them.

Sega blew threw 100's of millions on failed theme parks.

Just sega world in Sydney Australia alone caused sega a 86 million dollar lost.
>>
>>5433095
Everybody knew that one kid that carried around a huge xeroxed list of games he could burn for you; mine charged like a buck for a couple, discs included. Never even considered looking for isos on my own until way later when we got broadband at home.

I mean I'm not proud of it now, but for teenager me it didn't compute to spend much on games when you didn't even need to mod your console to play burned discs.
>>
>>5433071
Looking at the inside parts of the sega dreamcast it is a well designed piece of machinery.

A definite buy for modders
>>
>>5433114
You sound like one of them city folk. It might have been true here too. I was already out of school then.
>>
>>5433071
More development and competitive hardware in terms of eye candy at least. Early market access was a gamble they had tried before and KNEW it could barely guarantee a tight competition in the best case scenario
>>
The more I research sega the sadder I get.

Sega of Japan just really didn't understand consumers budgets and expectations.

After finding out sega blew through a billion dollars on 9 theme parks during the saturns and dreamcast retail life in starting to think their problem had less time I with consoles and games.
>>
File: 1539543875167.gif (1.96 MB, 300x300)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB GIF
>>5433071
Honestly there's nothing that could've been done to the Dreamcast directly to make it a success, as the reason why it failed was because of all the past mismanagements and bad decisions of the Saturn and 32X, where because of that Sega lost money, customers' loyalty, and developers' trust in the process.
>>
File: whatsshenmue-3.jpg (116 KB, 640x480)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
As someone that has followed Sega since the Genesis days, the problem with Sega was miss communication with Sega of Japan, bad decision with the 32X and Sega CD, the fact that Sega of Japan still thought 2D gaming was going to be a thing, *even tho they created great colorful 2D games on the Saturn* they added the 3D engine 6 months before launch of Saturn and force developers to work on a engine that was incredibility difficult to work with because of its last minute implementation. Sega of Japan really were the ones at fault because they weren't willing to make the transition to 3D and were jealous of Sega of Americas success with Genesis which was doing extremely well then its counterpart in Japan.

Because of the late programming of the Saturn and bad summer launch along with 400 price tag, which was decided by Sega of Japan, Sega of America knew the system was setup for failure. When that happen, 2 years into the Saturns debut Sega of Japan decided to manufacture the Dreamcast. Again, bad management on Sega of Japans decision to go with the NEC GPU, instead of the 3Dfx chip that was initially offered, which was at its time superior than NEC. Sega of Japan decided since NEC is a Japanese company, to stay loyal to Japanese companies. Anyone whose familiar with the policies and politics of large corporationsi n Japan is familiar with this trend; whenever the option presents itself, a Japanese corporation will invariably go with Japanese-owned and
manufactured components over a foreign chip which they cannot establish control over.

There was no way to save Sega at this point. Because at the end they shot themselves on the foot and as a Sega loyalist, it took me a long time to understand and accept this.
>>
>>5433587
Are you okay? You sound fucking retarded my dude. Jesus fucking christ.
>>
The only way it could have had a chance to survive was if someone bought the sega company. Sega was shitting turd after turd since master system. A braindead company that relied on autism magnets had nowhere to go but the gutter.
>>
>>5433597
Incoherent bullshit. You know nothing of Sega.
>>
>>5433601
Seething.
>>
>>5433605
say's that dude that cant even come out with an argument other than using words like turd or brain-dead.
>>
>>5433627
say's the guy that's seething.
>>
>>5433071
Not losing all their trust and fans during gen 5. The Saturn was just a mess of wrong decisions that lead to Sega losing all their trust and many fans. Why they even remotely thought the 32X was a good idea is beyond me. Of course SoJ HAD to have their Japan focused console so they engineered the Saturn the way they did instead of listening to SoA and getting what became the N64's hardware. No new mainline Sonic games either.

That being said, there are some things the DC could have done better. Sega once again put out a controller without enough shit on it to handle games of the time.
>>
>>5433095
>It had fantastic games.
It did but what it really needed was a big console pusher like Halo or FF7.
>>
>>5433629
>say's

"says"
>>
Not blowing millions of dollars on the turd that was Shenmue.

Saturn failing outside Japan and being discontinued early didn't really help the DC, either.
>>
Take Japan/USA infighting and easy piracy out of the picture: Why did DC ultimately fail in Japan?
>>
The last year of the dreamcast life before sega canceled the dreamcast.
Sega had to pay $30 million just to get out of the lease of the Australian sega world location.
>>
File: SEGA.jpg (85 KB, 900x512)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>5433071
Actually investing in games and marketing for Saturn till 99, more 3D titles and third party games and a 3D Sonic, thus recovering developers trust in the brand. Then pushed Dreamcast to 2000/2001, DVD support would be greatly welcome since would sell for itself as a player and games would had a large storage capacity, making Dreamcast along with its hardware a better choice than PS2.
>>
>>5433839
see >>>5433572
>>
>>5433815
Sega could afford the lost financially on shenmue.

They shot should of supported the saturn for a another year while the dreamcast was released a extra year of saturn support would of helped consumer confidence into purchasing the dreamcast.
>>
>>5433864
What a blessed picture. I wanna fug Dreamcast. Why are Japanese girls so perfect?
>>
>>5433071
Aside from a better controller, the Dreamcast really did nothing wrong. The console itself wasn't to blame, it was Sega of Japan making one massively retarded business decision after another, with said decisions finally catching up to them.
>>
>>5433071
Sega fucked themselves in the 32-bit era and killed customer confidence. There are some other issues too, like the parks. The Dreamcast was amazing but Sega kept shooting themselves in the foot.
>>
Not wenting crazy with Shenmue as well. And maybe actually doing as a Saturn title, which was the original intention, though I think it would be still expensive as heck to develop. But seeing the original demo of the game and its impressive visual for the Saturn, I think with the right marketing and timing, maybe Shenmue would be a huge sucess. And if this was the case, then make the sequel to Dreamcast as a launch title.
>>
The dreamcast made 100's of millions it's first year of release.

This video on sega world will show you how sega of japan lost a billion on 9 theme parks during the Saturn's and dreamcast retail life.

https://youtu.be/3-0qG1zvl34
>>
>>5433892
So basically SEGA of Japan were idiots all along while SOA was based?
>>
>>5433887
If sega gave the sega cd, 32x,saturn and dreamcast each 5 years of support with new releases and accessories sega would still be in the console business.

But. Sega lost over a billion on the 9 sega theme parks and the fastest way to save money was to kill the consoles instead of the parks.
>>
>>5433867
That's still regional infighting.
Why did Dreamcast fail in JAPAN?
>>
>>5433896
Sega of japan was extremely greedy.

Sega of America and tectoy of Brazil understood consumers better then sega of japan.
>>
>>5433901
By the time Sony had already establish their fan base and consumer confidence on the PSX. It would been a miracle if the DC got a foothold in Japan, it just was not going to happen.
>>
>>5433901
It didn't fail in Japan it just didn't do as well as the ps2.

Sega had 4 theme parks in Japan that had to be shut down in Japan.

The same year as japan was selling hello kitty dreamcast to its consumers in big numbers.

The sad part it wasn't the dreamcast or low sales that killed dreamcast it was great and bad business decisions and outside businesses that killed the dreamcast.
>>
>>5433112
>>5433887
>>5433127
Damn, I didn't know about this sega's park thing
>>
>>5433909
From ebay listing the dreamcast sold pretty decent in Japan.

It was never low console sales that killed sega it was the fucking theme parks.

N64 had low sales and Nintendo is still around because Nintendo didn't blow a billion dollars on 9 indoor theme parks.
>>
>>5433915
I didn't also
Now we no why the dreamcast failed all the sega indoor theme parks closed in 2000-2001 because they were losing the millions the real reason sega killed the dreamcast.
>>
>>5433904
>Sega of japan was extremely greedy.

It wasnt about greed, it was just bad business decisions. One thing about Japan is that its a rule of thumb not to talk bad about your competitor, its just not Japanese thing. While in the US its ok, like Nintendont and Blast Processing *see commercials for reference* thats one of the reason why it failed in Japan the only success they had was with the Saturn. People here keep mentioning them parks. Those are two separate divisions that had nothing to do with their gaming divisions. Sega dominated the Arcade market.
>>
>>5433081
>Better games;
Not really, dreamcast had some great games.
>Less focus on arcade games;
Nonsense, the reason they had more great arcade games is because the dreamcast was based off Naomi arcade system. That's why there were so many.
>DVD;
No, DVD who have been much more costly and wouldn't have helped much.
>A usable controller with two analog sticks;
The dc controller is superb and very few games benefit a lot from two analog sticks.
>Even trying to have copy protection;
They did try to have copy protection tard.
>Not killing the Sega Saturn so early, but making an effort of driving it home;
That has to do with a different console.
>More money (might be incompatible with the last point).
Speculative. The point is to at some point see return on investments, not continue to plough it into failing enterprises.

I believe it was a mistake for them to concentrate so much on online. They shouldn't have built a 56k modem into each one - c'mon, what gaming are people going to do with 56k on a dreamcast. They could have saved so much costs.
>>
>>5433923
Jesus, The Theme Parks have nothing to do with Sega, sega did no built those parks they just used their names to promote the company
>>
>>5433924
Those sega theme parks not sega arcades cost sega over a billion from 1996-2001 in lost profit.

Sega of japan was greedy they refused to extend the EA sega of America deal to other sega consoles.

Sega would of been better off extending the EA deal but sega of japan wanted to sell its own sports games titles.
>>
>>5433928
Sega put up the money.watch the video sega put over a 100 million of their own money into the Sydney Australia indoor theme park

>>
>>5433930
Dude, those them parks are subsidiaries, they are not owned by Sega. Example: I can be company X that builts theme parks, but I can have a contract to use your name and your gaming products in my theme park to promote you and my company. Sega doesnt lose anything the actual them park owners do.
>>
>>5433928
No sega did not just lease the name out to someone else sega was 1/3 owner on the Australia theme park and had to pay 30 million the same year they killed the dream cast to get of of the business deal

Sega was Probally full owner on the 4 Japanese theme parks that lost over a 100 million each.
>>
>>5433939
>Dude, those them parks are subsidiaries,
Not them, but you fail to understand that subsidiaries are legal mumbo jumbo for SEGA-not-SEGA. SEGA certainly spent that money. In caps always because it's an acronym.
>>
>>5433934
Pretty sure Sega put in their own money, sure that can count as a lose. But as whole them park is the company owners that lose. Take a look at the them park Great America. It was once known as Paramount Great America. The rides it use were base of movies, after slow sales and bad marketing they cancelled their contracts changed the name of the rides, and its known as Great America now.
>>
>>5433939
Watch the video sega put up 86 million of their own money for the sega theme park in Australia.

And another 30 million to end the business deal.

This was a business partnership not sega licensing out Its name like you think
>>
>>5433939
Watch the video instead of giving your opinion.

Learn the facts.

>>
>>5433898
Well, that's exactly it: they didn't give that support, and regardless of what the Dreamcast was, it wasn't going to keep Sega afloat.
>>
>>5433864
dc was quite a consolet
>>
>>5433958
If sega gave the 32x a full 5 year support we might have a different opinion on it.

The reason why sega CD has mixed opinion is because it had at least 3 years of support.
>>
>>5433071
Not making 32X and pushing Saturn in the west harder instead.
>>
>>5433967
Open one up and you can tell a lot of love and care went into The layouts of the insides it's a modders dream.
>>
>>5433071
It was a success, they just didn't stick with it and were already so deep in the hole with all their previous mishaps that they didn't have the money to keep competing.
>>
Sega of Japan like Nintendo was pissing off third party publishers during the Saturn's lifetime.

Do you want to pay sega 15 dollars a game to publish for the saturn or Sony 4 dollars a game to publish for the PlayStation?

Most publishers went with saturn before going directly to PlayStation.

Even EA at that time fired its founder saying they will not make games for the upcoming 3DO2 they will stick with PlayStation ps1.
>>
>>5434018
>SoJ rockets money into a toilet
>Durr it all Bernie Stolar's fault!1234
>>
>>5434018
Sega had better luck when Sega of america let outside publishers handle sports games for the western market while sega handled games like sonic and streets of rage.

The genesis was a success because sega of America and tectoy of japan had influence
>>
>>5434018
But that's wrong for a lot of genres, be more specific.
>>
>>5434038
Microsoft didn't have hot it's like sonic and SOR.

Sega chased the western sports games market in the U.S. instead of making streets of rage 4.

Next gen hardware is so expensive Microsoft has no idea what to do next.
>>
Sega's 2k sports division for the dreamcast lost so much money sega had to sell 2k sports for $24 million in 2005.

Sega of Japan fucked up sega of America's deal with EA.

When The genesis deal didn't get transferred for The upcoming saturn EA founder created the 3DO.

When EA fired its founder the upcoming 3DO2 got cancelled.
>>
>>5433925
>Not really, dreamcast had some great games.
Not gonna argue, it's a bit subjective. I (and likely many others) found the library quite lackluster.
>Nonsense, the reason they had more great arcade games is because the dreamcast was based off Naomi arcade system. That's why there were so many.
Still needed more story-driven adventure games, depending on arcade stuff was a mistake.
>No, DVD who have been much more costly and wouldn't have helped much.
It helped the PS2, but I'll grant you it would have been expensive. Video CD, as shitty as it was, would have granted a little value (if nothing else for pirated movies).
>The dc controller is superb and very few games benefit a lot from two analog sticks.
The DC controller is a piece of shit before you even notice it doesn't have a second analog stick. The stick and d-pad are horrible, the VMU is dumb and gimmicky and a waste of space.
>They did try to have copy protection tard.
Could have fooled me.
>That has to do with a different console.
No it doesn't. Their behavior with the 32X and Saturn had repercussions. Bernie Stolar said "The Saturn is not our future" in E3 1997, barely 2 years into the life of the console. No one was going to be burned by Sega again, especially since the PS1 was a great console.
>Speculative. The point is to at some point see return on investments, not continue to plough it into failing enterprises.
They stopped producing the Dreamcast because they couldn't afford to stay in the console space anymore. They were close to bankruptcy for some years there.
>>
>>5433892
You keep calling them “theme parks” but that’s really not the right term. Sega Worlds are just big fancy arcades. They don’t have like, roller coasters and shit.
>>
>>5433991
The Dreamcast was a success in North America when it was unopposed for a full year as the most powerful console on the market. Once the PS2 was out, it lost a whole lot of momentum. The Dreamcast hardware also wasn’t capable of running popular multiplat games from around 2002 onward.
>>
>>5433839
I thought the DC did alright in Japan?
>>
>>5433096
Arcades were dying in the late 90s early 00s, but I remember Sega was absolutely crushing it at the time with their newer arcade releases. Because of that, they were able to hoard those games for the Dreamcast, and they were nearly 1 to 1 ports.

They had no third party support because of their past mistakes. I'm also pretty sure there were still stores that refused to sell Sega products too.
>>
>>5435372
Based Capcom supported the DC like mad, and that's all the 3rd party support you really need.
>>
>>5435382
This, you really gotta hand it to the person at capcom who decided to double-down on the DC. Lotta great games came out of that even if some of them were eventually ported to ps2.
>>
Nothing. I'm a huge DCfag, don't get me wrong, but there was no saving it. Well, at least in NA and EU. It was a success in Japan but HA who cares?

The problem boils down to format and mismanagement.

I remember those days, the PS2's DVD abilities were a big deal. And, the Saturn was handled poorly. The DC was fine, but the company was not.

Retard level ideas:
Underpowered, lol doesn't matter
Controller bad, lol it wasn't and if it needed to change, it would have been. It's been done before
Piracy, it wasn't THAT easy back then.
>>
>>5435507
Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the Dreamcast was way more popular in North America than Japan.
>>
>>5435507
>Underpowered, lol doesn't matter

How does that not matter? You really think people would have continued to support the Dreamcast after the aging hardware couldn’t support popular third party multiplats and looked increasingly dated compared to the flashy new games on the newer consoles? Come on, bro.
>>
>>5433572
What's wrong with the GPU? It was pretty damn capable for 1998, at least compared to what you would find on the PC.
>>
>>5433096
adventure low skill not even game story shit for low i.q shut in low test self loathing degenerate scum cunts are not "good games", i'd rather a niche console that stuck to quality and didn't appease to the fucking retard masses of no effort wank.
>>
>>5436874
true, but the 3dfx that was being developed for the DC was supposedly run 5million polygons, vs the NEC that ran 3.5. It was capable to run at 5, but wouldn't manage to run 30FPS.

People say that their was a demo that was displayed according to what it could do, and it kinda ran PC like specs for the time. But those are just rumors. I think they would of been better off with the 3dfx and could of possibility compete with the PS2 in the graphics dept.
>>
>>5435514
what games? nothing on ps2 looks as good as under defeat on dreamcast on fucking vga
>>
>>5433071
>What could have been done differently to turn it into a success?

porting fucking scud race, never forgave them for that.
>>
>>5435514
lies. the PS2 games didnt look as good colorwise. Sure, the models looked decent but the ps2 had this falled where most of games looks like water on a windshield.
>>
>>5436905
my nigga
>>
i like my dreamcast its fun
>>
>>5436906
I thought it was capable of 7M? That's what Wikipedia claims, and I remember a forum post about a self-made synthetic test that gets close to that. The practical limit is certainly lower, of course. Either way, geometry throughput doesn't seem like a weak point of the system.
>>
>>5434737
>The DC controller is a piece of shit before you even notice it doesn't have a second analog stick.
And the difference is that you need to map camera to shoulders
Or have a working autocamera so you don't need to adjust it. Either on partially scripted rails, focus angle, or just a bungie system that turns with the character.

To this day i don't see the benefit of controlling the camera, since it just leads to it competing with inputs for 4 face buttons, leading to a lot of terrible gameplay segments.
Very few games even have good enough 3D movement to even warrant some kind of manual camera to compensate for shortcomings in a scripted camera bungie system.
>>
>>5437109
Shame the D-Pad on the ASCII controller isn't as good as a JP Saturn's.
>>
>>5436913
>>5436920
I love the Dreamcast but come on. Do you honestly think it was powerful enough to run games like Prince of Persia or Burnout without a severe downgrade. You’re just not being realistic. Early PS2 exclusives like Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid 2 were way beyond what the DC hardware was capable of.
>>
>>5433071
Literally nothing. Sega took too much of a hit with the Shiturn and it was not possible to recover at that point. Nintendo and Sony consumed Sega's market and only the most diehard of fanboys stayed with it.
>>
>>5437171
And this isn’t even mentioning some of the latter era PS2 games once developers were really able to get the most out of the hardware. Imagining something anywhere close to Shadows of the Colossus or Silent Hill 3 or Okami on Dreamcast is laughable. The Dreamcast hardware was capable enough to keep up with the PS2 for maybe the first year or so but anything after 2002? There’s just no way.
>>
>>5433864
Are those plastic uniforms? Why?
>>
>>5436906
>the 3dfx that was being developed for the DC was supposedly run 5million polygons, vs the NEC that ran 3.5
Those 3dfx numbers are undoubtedly inflated. The NEC GPU (which is actually just a branded PowerVR2) was absolutely the best choice at the time. What could 3dfx offered Sega other than a Voodoo 3 running at low clocks?

Then the Dreamcast would be stuck with a chip that doesn't do full 32-bit internal pixel precision through the entire pipeline, only has a 16-bit z-buffer, doesn't support texture compression, doesn't support normal maps, doesn't support anisotropic filtering, doesn't support free sorting of transparencies, has a hard 256x256 texture size limitation, and most importantly is a fuckload more VRAM bandwidth hungry.

The only thing a 3dfx chip would have had over the NEC / PowerVR one that the Dreamcast actually got is slightly lower CPU overhead and faster trilinear filtering performance. That's literally it. The trade-offs would have been needing to use more expensive RAM and worse image quality, less features, and probably realistically worse performance.
>>
>>5438779
We dont know that tho, at the end the 3dfx numbers were just on paper, and rumors. So who knows at the end of the day.
>>
>>5438807
If 3dfx had another architecture up their sleeve they would have used it for 1999 instead of the Voodoo 3 which, like the Voodoo 2, is basically nothing but a turbocharged Voodoo 1. I mean, the Voodoo 1 was a fantastic card for its time, and the Voodoo 3 was still pretty good, but the PowerVR2 was just better.
>>
>>5433081
>with two analog sticks;
>1998
Retard.
>>
>>5438829
true. I still have dreams of grandeur thats the case of the 3dfx, and that would of been the reason that the DC would live at least a couple more years. Again only dreams, no pun intended.
>>
File: dual-analog-pad.jpg (77 KB, 640x480)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>5438842
Sony already did it in '97.
>>
It might've been a success if NEC didn't suffer a chip shortage when the system launched in Japan in November 1998. It's often been said that the tepid Japanese launch followed by the announcement of the PS2 in Jan 1999 pretty much sealed its fate in Japan. Since Sega always took their success overseas for granted, they much decided all the unsold stock sitting in their warehouses plus the PS2 hype was enough reason to kill it prematurely. The stepping down of Hayao Nakayami and sudden death of his successor Isao Okawa (who kept the system alive out of his own pocket) didn't help either.

>>5433081
>Even trying to have copy protection;
>year of our lord CY+4 Anno Domini
>still falling for the piracy killed Dreamcast meme
Kill yourself.
>>5433839
Again, NEC had a chip shortage for its Jap launch causing them to under stock retail stores, and Japanese players who preordered one left empty handed. Japs may have also been pissed that Sega decided to kill Saturn despite it being moderately successful there.
>>5435320
>I thought the Saturn did alright in Japan?
ftfy
>>
>>5433597
>The only way it could have had a chance to survive was if someone bought the sega company.
Tell that to the hundreds of programmers who revolted when Sega tried to merge with Bandai in the late 90s, many of whom have since left after Sega and Sammy merged in 2003. Good ahead and see just how well Sega did since then.
>>
>>5438871
The second stick was a dead weight up until 2000/2001. No person in 1998 could have predicted it would become so relevant, N64fags even mocked it.
>>
>>5438906
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape_Escape
>>
>>5438907
>JP: June 24, 1999
>>
>>5438913
>NA: May 31, 1999
Seems to be before 2000/2001.
>>
>>5438906
>The second stick was a dead weight up until 2000/2001.
It was basically an accessory and not a requirement. How many games actually REQUIRED the dual shock to play? Everyone likes to talk about ape escape, but I can't think of one other game that required Dual Analogs. I somehow managed to this day only having a standard digital controller without the analogs.
>>
Nothing. 32x/CD/Saturn and the complete incompetence of Segas Jap office buried the company and made them irrelevant. The company was bleeding money and had basically no product for the entirety of 96/97/98, when SoA finally regained control from the fucking retarded nips and the Dreamcast did finally get released in America is was a success and continued to be up until it's cancellation. They were just so in the red from the dumb fuck Japanese branch's massive fuck ups over the past 5 years of decisions they needed PS2 eclipsing numbers to survive and were never going to get that.
>>
>>5438829
>basically nothing but a turbocharged Voodoo 1
Ehh, there were some crucial improvements, I guess? Voodoo 1 supposedly didn't do triangle setup, which was a problem with the already CPU-bottlenecked games of the time. Also, the dual-TMU of the Voodoo 2 lifted its peak performance way more than the double of the original card. Voodoo 3 also supported high-res textures, but the lack of 32-bit frame buffers was just unforgivable (Nvidia deservedly kicked their asses that year).
>>
>>5433089
They really needed to make more non-arcade style games and focus on them less, because they inadvertently killed the arcade market in the west with the DC, and crippled it badly in Japan.
>>
Imagine pissing the goodwill built up with the Genesis away. Saturn killed the Dreamcast more than the PS2 could. It can't be understated how much of a non-entity Sega was in 99.
>>
>>5433071
There is nothing the Dreamcast could've done to save them, although it sure as hell tried.
>>
More arcade ports. There were a shit load of awesome NAOMI and Atomiswave games that sadly didn't receive home conversions. More third-party support would have also been nice.
>>
>>5439802
>More arcade ports.
Star Wars Trilogy could have been done with few sacrifices if any and SEGA said "Nah." They may have been worried over cutting into their arcade sales, but that's retarded if true.
>>
>>5439818
It's a licensed game, so there may have been contract complications.
>>
>>5439836
True, though if they had it imagine all the SW fans that would have bought one just to play Star Wars Trilogy at home.

/got me one finally and some dumb bastard shipped it wrong, cracking the marquee oh well it's still fun
>>
>>5433572
A bit weird of you to point to Japanese business practices as being a significant handicap to Sega considering all of their competition was also Japanese.
>>
>>5436905
>loads savestate
>>
>>5439890
>a-a-anyone skilled at a game is just a filthy savestate abuser

cope harder, shitplayer
>>
>>5439317
Voodoo 1 did have partial triangle setup, increased to full with Voodoo 2. The dual TMUs is basically the only reason the Voodoo 3 has better trilinear performance than the PowerVR2. As for textures, I still recall Voodoo 3 was stuck at the 256x255 limit as were its predecessors.
>>
>>5433071
Allow it to download movies from internet.
>>
>>5438765
Easier to wipe vomit and semen off of.
>>
>>5439857
He's just spewing the "It's all SoJ's fault" meme.
>>5436874
Nothing wrong, the 3dfx chip he's talking about had better specs on paper, but the PowerVR2 chip actually had better performances in real life, only falling behind when it comes to multitexture rendering.
>>
>>5438876
I pointed piracy as one of multiple things that hurt the Dreamcast. If you don't think it wasn't a factor at all you're a retard.
>>
>>5440245
Even comparing it to the Voodoo 3, its only weakness seems to be its low 800 mb/s bandwidth, which is usually the first thing to go with price savings anyway.
The tricks it has up its sleeve should more than make up for this drawback.
I do wonder if any other GPU vendor could have offered something competitive?
>>
Sega Saturn CDs should have been compatible with the Dreamcast
>>
>>5442224
Agreed, but Saturn was such a clusterfuck of chips that it wouldn't be feasible unless the DC hardware shared the same DNA (like GC-Wii).

There is no excuse for lack of Mega Drive/CD/32X compatibility on the Saturn though. Wasted opportunity that would have added value to the console.
>>
>>5442036
>its only weakness seems to be its low 800 mb/s bandwidth
It didn't need more than that due to the tile based deferred rendering architecture. Unlike the Voodoo 3, the PowerVR2 doesn't need to access a z-buffer in VRAM and most of the time it doesn't need to repeatedly access textures or write pixels to the framebuffer more than once.
>>
>>5442250
>There is no excuse for lack of Mega Drive/CD/32X compatibility on the Saturn though
Not them, but a cart port and yet another for 32x would have added to the cost considerably.
>>
>>5433127
SoJ's incompetence and jealousy was probably the biggest contributor to Sega's downfall. Had SoA been their headquarters they probably would still be in the console business.
>>
>>5442369
Same port for everything. Saturn was just a souped up 32X. Compatibility would have helped make up for the 32X's short life as those games could live on in the new system.
>>
>>5440629
it wasn't, as piracy only became widespread after the console was already EOL'd.
>>
>>5442389
>Had SoA been their headquarters they probably would still be in the console business.
They wouldn't have had a console business to begin with. SoJ was competent enough to be responsible of all the company's biggest hit so far, and speaking of jealousy when SoA was a subsidiary that haven't been relevent for 15 years at the time the saturn was being developed is just stupid.
All this "SoJ bad, SoA good" talk is laughable.
>>
>>5442860
People around me were copying CD's all time time late '99 and 2000. Piracy wasn't mainly downloading back then, just mass copying.
>>
Better communication between the Japanese and North American divisions. Sega had the marketing down pat but Nintendo had superior cross-region relations which is important when trying to sell a system internationally. The Dreamcast's biggest problem wasn't anything to do with the Dreamcast itself but the travesty that was the 32X and CD followed by the early retirement of the Saturn despite being entirely capable of competing hardware wise. Sega killed consumer and retailer loyalty alike. If Sega could have done anything to keep the DC afloat after all that it probably would have been best to delay it by a year or two and wait for the hardware to mature. They could have sold a more powerful system for the same price or cheaper which would have given it more long term appeal compared the the later systems and also DVD support. The Dreamcast did rather well before the competitors' systems came out and became the next big thing, releasing a little closer to the rest of the systems might've helped avoid the Next Big Thing syndrome.

Maybe they could have worked the VMU into an MP3 player, would that make it sell more?
>>
not coming out before the xbox
>>
>>5443678
>travesty
>CD
zoom zoom
>>
>>5444647
No that anon, but the Mega CD was a wasted opportunity to provide SNES-quality graphics. Instead they limited themselves to 64 colors again. That and requiring two power adapters and having a generally shit library didn't help either.
>>
>>5433071
Not fuck up prior the generation.
>>
>>5445176
>the Mega CD was a wasted opportunity to provide SNES-quality graphics. Instead they limited themselves to 64 colors again
It was impossible to add more colors without a 32X-style genlock over the video port.

Otherwise the CD went well beyond SNES graphics. Sprite scaling and super detailed animations.
>>
>>5443678
>>5445176
The MegaCD's failure is to blame on SoA tho, they made all the wrong choices when it came to advertising in the US, while SoJ actually allowed it to improve the megadrive's popularity in Japan.
>>
>>5445210
>It was impossible to add more colors without a 32X-style genlock over the video port.
Should have done that right then. Mega CD should have made the SNES obsolete.
>>
>>5439042
Alien Resurrection.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.