[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

what's your experience playing this "retranslation"? aside the menus are well done and better than the american version, everything else is a fucking mess
>>
It's a children's game not high literature, it doesn't deserve this much attention.
>>
>>5364332
Localizations with memorable dialogue that has more flavor than the Japanese version > dry literal translations. Aside from the censorship thing (which Nintendo of America forced on him anyway) Ted Woolsey is absolutely based.
>>
>>5364376
I prefer Absolute Zero over the rest of the translations of ToP.

But in general I agree.
>>
>>5364332
It's very poor. The translator's grasp on Japanese is borderline nonexistent, a lot of lines are just cribbed straight from Woolsey and reworded a bit to hide the fact, and it's overall less accurate than the Woolsey translation.

Anyone claiming it's "dry and literal" like >>5364376 are just parroting dumb memes, and know even less Japanese than the translator.
>>
Play the SNES version and watch this if you still want a better translation.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8fufren85t_hZIk7nzF3EkbQHhexGOpa
>>
>>5364640
Or just play the GBA version, since that IS the better translation.
>>
>>5364652
>gba version
>>
>>5364654
What's wrong now?
>>
>>5364640
Damn, I've never heard Tomato speak before. He sounds like he's 100% on the spectrum.
>>
>>5364654
GBA version is strictly better than the SNES version as long as you run the fan patches to fix the colors and sound.
>>
>>5364676
Except he’s not, he’s just a nerd in the classic sense.
>>
>>5364350
It's a higher form of art than literature.

Literature is just words.
FFVI is words, graphics, animation, gameplay and music.
>>
>>5364727
Cringe and bluepilled. Filtered.
>>
>>5364652
It's a fact the GBA is better in terms of script, but what is the case with the snes/sfc version who is supposed to be better graphically ignoring the fact there's patches to fix the gba version
>>
>>5364727
video games have very much the potential to be higher art than literature, it's just that FF6 is a shit game that doesn't come anywhere close to utilizing the potential games have. games mesmerize and are fun to millions - including their stories - despite them being much simpler than most movies because the interactive nature of the medium allows for a greater emotional impact. emotional impact, suspense and manipulation is actually the real goal of 99% of novels that aren't high literature meant to reflect on some kind of aspect of the human condition. now imagine someone made a game with an actually mind-blowing, thoughtful story while making it intrinsically part of a gameplay that works perfectly with said story. then also make it 40 hours long so that it covers a topic in-depth. no book could ever compete in emotional impact on the player.
>>
Just play the GBA version with the fan patches. The opera scene is literally sung opera with the patch. Not gonna lie. I was pretty amazed.
>>
>>5365383
It wouldn't sell well as gamers are brainlets, especially those who play for the story
>>
>>5365591
>The opera scene is literally sung opera with the patch
It was pretty cool when they sang it live at GDQ but there's something special about the original SNES audio for the opera. Next time I get to playing it I'll try the GBA version with patches. Any chance you might spoonfeed the exact patches I need or are they easy to find in general?
>>
>>5364805
Unfortunately insane Woolsey fans have made it their duty to troll and harass into oblivion any attempt at porting the GBA script into the SNES game, so you'll never get to play the game with a good translation AND good music.
>>
>>5365832
[citation needed]
>>
it was boring
>>
>>5365591
I wish someone would hack Dragon's Den and the other extra content into the SNES version. GBA version with patches sounds cool though.
>>
>>5365832
But why? why you need to bother someone who is trying to import a much better translation in first place at the point to the guy don't want to work more?
>>
>>5365867
Don't look for reason where insanity reigns supreme.
>>
>>5365867
Because in these people's minds, Woolsey's translation is perfect and any attempts at doing something that might make people think otherwise is evil and needs to be rubbed out.
>>
>>5365867
Because that gives people that choice of playing a non-Woolsey translation, and choices are bad because people may go for the choice you don't want them to go for. If you get rid of the other choice, they HAVE to pick the one you want them to.
>>
>>5364701
Not even the patch can make the GBA version look and sound less shitty. If anything, it makes it look and sound even worse.
>>
>>5365903
But how?, i can understand the american version gives characterizations to some characters, but i can't understand why they circlejerk a translation that is bad in first place at the point to harass someone
>>
File: 1528070111227.png (72 KB, 210x243)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>5364701
>the GBA version is strictly better than the SNES version if you patch it to be the same as the SNES version
>>
>>5365935
Because they grew up on it, and that means anyone that suggests it isn't perfect is raping their childhood.

Translation fanboys are the worst.
>>
>>5365903
Then the Woolsey Unleashed script should not be a thing, sullying the perfection of the original script with edits and adjustments based on the GBA version.
>>
>>5365991
Relocalization project still exist anyways
>>
>>5366003
It's really only Tom Slatterly's translations that they hate. They only tolerate it for FFV because the original translation was total ass, but all other games he redid (FFIV, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger) are deemed unacceptable to the Woolsey purists.
>>
>>5365991
True, not every person in the world who likes Woolsey's work is some raging autist. I like those style of patches as they usually remove censorship while keeping the tone, a pretty undeniable improvement to all but the stubbornest fanboys.
>>
>>5366009
Did Woolsy even do FFIV?
>>
>>5366016
Whoever did, they sure aren't tolerating Slatterly's rewrite.
>>
File: woolsey.jpg (47 KB, 298x372)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>5366016
it is according to legends of localizations, and it's something curious how also this guy wished a uncut version of FFIV released someday
>>
>>5366026
The closest thing to an uncut version ironically ended up going to PS1 as part of the Chronicles 2-pack.
>>
>>5366016
Woolsey didn't do the FF4 translation, some nip with a relatively poor grasp on English did. It was edited somewhat by Square USA afterwards to get rid of the worst Engrish, though, and it's possible Woolsey was involved in that.
>>
>>5364652
GBA version looks and sounds like dog shit. No amount of restoration patches can fix it.
>>5364701
They don't fix shit, in some areas it makes it even worse.
>>
>>5366029
But the PSX translation is not accurate at all
>>
>>5364805
>>5365832
>"Weapons of Magitek Destruction"
>>
>>5366553
Uncut as in things like the nudity. The text is another issue.
>>
>>5366026
That's from super play
>>
>>5367051
That's the exception, not the rule.
Tomato from Legends of Localization went through the script and the GBA version was found to be accurate more often than not. Meanwhile, in the SNES version, you get cases like Setzer claiming that the empire made him rich when it really ruined his business or Locke not mentioning that he's after a specific treasure from the empire so he can revive his girlfriend.
>>
>>5367246
That was a good read. I love the Woolsey translation, but it does change the story in some places due to mistakes.
https://legendsoflocalization.com/final-fantasy-vi/
>>
>>5364727
Not this game in particular
>>
The same as about FFVII's retranslation.

See >>5360602
>>
Anyone have a link to the best fan patch? I could probably find it but I feel like there's a ton of fan patches out there that aren't created equally
>>
>>5369818
>best
It's not like you have options.
>>
>>5369818
bump for this pls :(
>>
>>5369818
There's like 2 patches, but the 2 patches are based more in the american version than the japanese one
-Ted woosley uncensored edition
-Relocalization edition in case you don't like the SNES script
>>
>>5372849
I don't know if there's more patches, let me know if there's more
>>
>>5365383
Play Mother 3 and NieR.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.