[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

/megaten/ bhread
>>
File: SMT190027.jpg (60 KB, 458x640)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
All hail Lucifrost.
>>
I've never played a megaten game before and tried to play SMT IV on the 3DS the other day and it didn't click for me. Is the party system really about getting jewed by demons so they'll be in your party?
>>
>>5364452
>Is the party system really about getting jewed by demons so they'll be in your party?
Yes, but some of them will want to join you instantly, it depends.
>>
Loved SMT1

I couldn't handle SMT2 backtracking so far. But I'll try to push through.
>>
>>5364452
They don't ask for too much, usually, and you can always say no. At the start it might seem like a lot, but once you get into the game, it's like pennies. Except when they ask for mana, that usually hurts.
>>
Me luvey luvey Persona 5 <3 <3 :*
>>
>>5363852
Last Bible III needs a remake so fucking bad. It's so, so close to being actually good but it's held back by random shitty gameplay decisions.
>>
Reminder that Soul Hacker Odin is best Odin.
>>
>>5364461
You van also get a skill where you berate them for money which gets quite handy later on.

What else didn't gel for you?
>>
I picked up strange journey redux for the 3ds a few days ago, and have been really enjoying it. My only other experience with the franchise is the persona games, specifically 2,3,4 and 5, it feels a lot closer to 2, which I suppose makes sense.

I really dig the story, it almost feels like an 80's horror movie, like the thing or aliens, with the way its characters are presented and the descent into an unknown hellscape.
>>
>>5365515
Strange Journey was solid. A bit straightforward in some ways, but still quite good overall.
>>
I realy want to get into megaten, so far played Nocturne, Strange Journey and Persona 3, what older titles besides SMT 1 and 2 should I play and which versions
>>
>>5366469
I really liked both Soul Hackers and SMT IV. The SH port that came to 3DS was quite good.
>>
>>5366510
I know about 3ds games, but like I mentioned I'd prefer older stuff due to only being able to play on craptop and phone
>>
>>5366469
>>5366520
SMT I may look and feel clunky, put it's honestly a fucking great game. The atmosphere it's perfect, music is excellent and the dungeons are real fun. Just don't expect an hard game.
>>
>>5366528
which version should I play?
>>
>>5366559
SNES/SuperFamicom. PS1 version isn't translated and neither is the GBA one, which also had shit resolution and music quality.
And before you play it, check /smtg/ for their tips pastebin. It will probably help you considerably.
>>
>>5366684
alright, thanks bro
>>
File: 50194992_p0.jpg (1.29 MB, 1400x1015)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
>>5366705
Different anon here, SMTI is a terrible way to be introduced to the series. I enjoy the game myself but as an introduction it will feel frustrating and offputting, I know as it was my first megaten experience. Only after playing other megaten games was I able to return to it and appreciate the game.

Just play Nocturne anon, it's the best way to see just what megaten is about.
>>
File: 1539241719594.jpg (167 KB, 828x565)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>5364461
>Try to recruit a demon I needed for fusion, I think it was Oni or something.
>Initiate conversation with him, asks for money.
>Give him like half my macca, he says thanks and that he'll kill me now.
>After beating his ass to the brink of death, he begs me to spare his life.
>Do so thinking he'll join me.
>Says thanks and just runs.
>>
>>5366824
I would recommend Strange Journey over Nocturne, but that's just based on my own personal experience. I didn't care for Nocturne at all, but I greatly enjoyed SJ, which led me back to SMT1 and Soul Hackers, which I also enjoyed.

Nocturne just felt so bleak and devoid of feeling for the most part, SJ and SMT1 felt like they had more of a narrative to drive the game.
>>
>>5366876
I love Nocturne but I agree. SJ is a great way to get into the gameplay of the series while still being narrative driven.
>>
Playing Soul Hackers atm! I think it's nice but I like Persona 1, 2, SMT4/A and SJ better for handheld SMT games. This one is middle of the road but whatever.
>>
>>5366876
>>5366947
SJ is a great game, it's tied with Nocturne as my favorite megaten, but I feel like Nocturne may just be easier to progress through. SJ has some serious roadblocks that can be brutal for newer players.
>>
File: 32061228_p0.jpg (611 KB, 950x1053)
611 KB
611 KB JPG
>>5366967
SH is relatively short, only 25-30 on a normal playthrough without NG+ content, so pushing through it won't be too bad. People enjoy it for the silly 90's cyberpunk atmosphere and characters but if you're not into that it may feel a bit dull.
>>
>>5366824
bro I already played Nocturne, Strange Journey and Persona 3
>>
File: 1395483678721.jpg (99 KB, 680x1200)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>5366967
>>5366984
Soul Hackers (and Devil Summoner 1, which is japan only) are more plot and character-driven than the mainline games. And the alignment system doesn't matter for the main character, he's neutral.
However, SH might have the best demon negotiations in the series.
Gameplay is also pretty fast and swift on the 3DS version. I think it's the best of the first-person dungeon crawler SMT. SJ might be better overall, but SH has a special appeal.
Also, the NG+ stuff is pretty challenging, the true final boss might be one of the hardest (if not hardest) boss in the series.
>>
>>5367001
>SH might have the best demon negotiations in the series.

Definitely one of the reasons I like it most, along with the 3DS version's swiftness and the tone and setting.
>>
>>5367001
I always wanted to see DeSu1, was it any good for those who've played it? I imagine Atlus thinks it wouldn't sell with a re-release which is why we haven't gotten it, but I'd still like to play it one day for completion when it's available for anglophones.
>>
>>5367548
DeSu1 was rereleased though. It had an enhanced port on 3ds with bonus content.

As games they're good but not for everyone. The gameplay is fun but can feel slow at times compared to other megaten games. The story of DeSu1 is decent but held back by the terrible cast. DeSu1's cast is pretty annoying and honestly the worst aspect of the game, which is a shame as it does some cool things with the alignment. DeSu2, which also had an enhanced port on 3ds, has slightly better gameplay but for characters and plot they jyst gave up and went full blown weeb, which is saying a lot as the DeSu1 cast is pretty extreme as is.

Solid games from a gameplay perspective but they don't really give the atmosphere megaten is known. They're too silly to be like mainline but to "anime" to be like Soul Hackers or similar spinoffs.
>>
File: DSCoverScan.jpg (1.11 MB, 1410x1392)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>5367668
Oh, I meant this one, not Devil Survivor.
>>
File: 4797358_p0.jpg (80 KB, 488x650)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>5367679
DeSu is typically reserved for the Survivor games, just to avoid confusion.

Devil Summoner was rereleased on the psp actually but that too remained Japan exclusive. There's never been any word on why Atlus didn't localize it, probably thought it wasn't worth the cost.

In some old game magazines there are actually previews for Devil Summoner implying a localization for the Saturn version was planned but canceled. Considering the time though and the translation for Persona 1 I imagine the translation would have been low quality.

If you're really determined to play the game it actually has a complete translation available, no one has wanted to.actual program it though. The script exists online, probably can find it in the /smtg/ OP.
>>
>>5367695
It's /vr/, why would you assume he's talking about a relatively recent game in the series?
>>
>>5366824
Nocturne is a double edged introduction to MegaTen. The gameplay is everything SMT wants to be and the difficulty really pushes the player to master it. However, in terms of characters, story, alignments (or lack of direct ones) as well the absence of cyberpunk elements draws an image that it's not SMT at all. Atmosphere is top notch like most non persona games.
>>
>>5367835
Fanbase terminology. DeSu had always been used to refer to the Devil Survivor games.And we're also taking about the 3ds remakes here so it was a legit mistake.
>>
Why aren't you guys on /vg/ again? These threads always devolves into you guys telling people to play ps2 and 3ds games. If you gonna tell /vr/ to not play retro games what's the fucking point?
>>
File: I'll hoy it thus.jpg (66 KB, 558x632)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>5368653
Long time /smtg/ poster here. Not everyone wants to deal with /vg/'s autism and many of the /vr/ anons prefer to just post here instead of /vg/, I suppose.
>>
I’m pretty new to this series, I’ve only played Persona 3/4 and Devil Survivor to completion. I played a decent chunk of SMT1 but lost interest, it felt very repetitive. I’m considering Persona 2 next, is it fun?

As a side note I’m sitting here wondering if the tag is “spoiler” or “spoilers” because I rarely use it while shitposting, oh well if the tag doesn’t work I know why.
>>
>>5368873
Persona 2 is not fun at all. The gameplay itself is beyond shit. But the story/music /characters are excellent. It's one hell of a ride. This applies to both IS and EP, with EP being weaker overall than IS.
>>
Any tips for a new player (to the series, and to the game) to smt 1 on snes? Like what stats are good, things to avoid, how to fight, etc
>>
>>5369094
What don't you like about the P2 gameplay?
>>
File: 61513671_p0.png (1.05 MB, 1000x656)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB PNG
>>5369106
SMTI is difficult to start with but I'll try to help. The thing about SMTI is it can either be ridiculously difficult or pretty easy depending on one's knowledge of the game and it's mechanics.

Firstly, stat builds
>Hero: primarily focus on STR and VIT with occasional AGI. AGI doesn't need to be focused on but you should have it high enough to be outspeeding demons. Also try to get around 10-12 INT, this is mostly for demon negotiaion. MAG is useless on him, he never learns any spells
>Heroine: MAG and AGI with a bit of VIT. You want her to be fast so she can use her powerful magic at the start of a turn while having some health to take attacks
>Law Hero: same as Heroine
>Chaos Hero: same as Hero. He learns some offensive magic but the Law Hero's magic is far better

Now to some basic stuff
>guns are the way to go and how you will attack in almost every random encounter. You want guns that hit a large number of enemies, 6-8, so that crowds of enemies won't gang up on you easily
>status ailments in SMTI are what breaks this game. Certain bullet inflict ailments, hence why guns are so broken. When you see that bullets that inflict ailments like sleep, stun, and charm are available BUY THEM
>electric magic (Zio) and ice magic (Bufu) spells are very good against bosses as they will stun enemies. This is why you want your Heroine to have high AGI, she can stunlock bosses consistently
>get a demon with the spell Estoma, this disables random encounters until you enter the overworld or dungeon. You can get it as early as level 28
>try to fuse the Kagatsuchi as soon as possible, it's not absolutely necessary but it makes life much
>be very careful in the mid game in terms of alignment, there is one particular section that is really shitty as it comes out of nowhere and basically locks you into law
>Pascal the dog is here
>>
File: 1436909539397.png (40 KB, 142x196)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>5369147
From the top of my head: menus are clunky as fuck, combat is slow, no difficulty at all (hell, you can even finish the game without changing Personae and even weapons) and dungeon design is nearly non-existent. And the most glaring thing is that Atlus didn't even fix this on the PSP enhanced port. I really wanted to like P2's combat, but as it stands it's impossible for me. And I'm a huge fan of SMT I and P1 for instance.
>>
>>5369147
not him but its pretty much an auto-battle simulator with the persona fusion stuff from one completely omitted and replaced with that absolutely terrible card system which was so awful that the devs made it optional.
>>
>>5371616
A shame really, since the sprites are lovely and the battle tracks are excellent yet I try to avoid combat as much as possible.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.