[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 2340screenshot4.png (53 KB, 320x240)
53 KB
53 KB PNG
Has anyone played through the retranslated FFVII? How significant are the changes?
Also for the PS1 version patch, why did they make the names in the dialogue box yellow?
>>
>removing cursing barret and cid
>removing let's mosey
>actively believing the story makes much more sense in japanese (it doesn't)
>>
>>5359924
Didn't even know there was one. Unless you're talking about the one patch where the author is a loon for something I can recall right now.
>>
>>5360000
*can't
>>
Is this from the same nutter who wanted to replace Cait Sith with his donut steel? Or should I perhaps give just the slightest fuck about what this actually is?
>>
>>5360091
Can you explain this?
>>
>>5360000
U drunk too, bro?
>>
>>5360000
Fuckin quads of doom. Jesus christ...
>>
>>5360096
I couldn't find anything on the intercunts about it and my memory of it is faint. The gist is this: the original PC based retranslation was done by a guy who was going to replace Cait Sith, a character whom he hates with passion, with an original character that he created because he thought it was an improvement. Looks like it didn't actually happen, but the fact that he, at some point, thought it was okay to insert his fanfiction into the only version of his release tells you all you need to know about the guy, right?

So all I want to know is if the PS1 retanslation that OP is talking about is unrelated to that nutbar.
>>
Beacause is a translation-of-a-translation/hack job by an autist with help from some random guy who lived in Japan (read: no high-level speakers). It is slightly better than the base game, but only because having the benefit of hindsight and no deadlines to meet means of course you should be able to improve on a then-15-year-old game.

I can prove this. Let's take a line that can't simply be thrown into Google Translate, compared briefly to the official English and Japanese scripts, and tweaked to look like an "improvement."

"Cloud! Don't let it get to you!"

Aerix says this when you move to intercept Reno inside the church. This line doesn't make any sense. What would be "getting" to Cloud? This is something she would probably say if Reno entered the church and immediately began casting invective at Cloud, to which Cloud was unable to contain his rage.

With Beacause, this is changed to "Cloud, don't let it get to you." What this means is they looked at both scripts, decided they didn't know what it meant either, and instead made an arbitrary change just so they'd feel useful, replacing the exclamation points with periods.

What does it say in Japanese, then? "クラウド! かまっちゃダメ!"

Using "ちゃ" as a verb ending is a contraction of "ては." Thus, the verb here is "かまう," and a less colloquial wording of this sentence would be "かまってはだめ." The game's actual translator seems to have made a best guess at the usage of "だめ," which doesn't always necessarily mean a single word per se. However, you'll notice that in the game's script, it's written in katakana for emphasis. What Aerix is actually saying is, "Cloud! Getting mixed up with them is USELESS!" (i.e. Reno/the Turks can't be negotiated with, so trying to confront him/them is a pointless endeavor. Literally: "Caring/minding is pointless/useless!")
>>
>>5359950
>>removing cursing barret and cid
It's shit
>>
>>5360124
Cloud's name is always in katakana though
>>
>>5360124
google translate gave me "Cloud Do not get caught!"
>>
>>5359924
It just butchered the original translation. Seems to think that simplifying the language and cutting back on quirky lines would improve the writing, but it instead just removes characterization and depth. It really just entirely missed what people loved about Final Fantasy VII.
FFVII does have some blatant spelling errors at various point but in terms of conversational dialogue and emotional tone it was master class, part of what made the game so popular in the first place.
>>5359950
This.
>>
>>5360138
Fucking weebs man. They dont care for any of that. As long as it's closer to a direct translation it's better
>>
>>5360138
Square literally altered the story in the compilation based on mistranslations in the English version
>>
>>5360121
That sound pretty bad. Thanks for the info.
>>
>>5360138
>but in terms of conversational dialogue and emotional tone it was master class
this is what happens to you when you don't read, kids
>>
>>5360138
>It really just entirely missed what people loved about Final Fantasy VII.

Nice anedoctal evidence.
>>
>>5360124
Why writing such a long ass post when you could have simply written?
>Original: "クラウド! かまっちゃダメ!"
>Game: "Cloud! Don't let it get to you!"
>What these hacks did: "Cloud, don't let it get to you."
>What it should say: "Cloud! Getting mixed up with them is USELESS!" (i.e. Reno/the Turks can't be negotiated with, so trying to confront him/them is a pointless endeavor. Literally: "Caring/minding is pointless/useless!")
Why are weebs so autistic?

I personally would have translated it as
>"Cloud, it's no use reasoning with them!"
Based on your comments, that is. Only because it sounds better IMO. And it's shorter too.
>>
File: 1548164765615.jpg (20 KB, 284x282)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>Nobody's posted the translator's Cait Sith rant yet

Guy is a total nutcase who doesn't even speak the language, Beacause is less than worthless.
>>
So aside from the one OP posted, are there any decent retranslations for this game?
>>
So is there going to be an upscale mod using Gigapixel similar to the FFIX mod?
>>
>>5360206
Not really, the PC version already had some fixes to the script and the Script Fix patch from the Tifa's Bootleg package fixes a couple more errors and typos as I recall. If you just want a cleaned up version of the base translation I'd go that route.
>>
>>5360137
Japanese is a language that you can't translate perfectly, or even decently, into English, from my experience. Doesnt help that words have multiple meanings based on context. It is basically audible hieroglyphs.
>>
>>5360124
>"Cloud! Getting mixed up with them is USELESS!"
a better phrasing would be "Cloud! Don't you get caught up in this!" she's not saying it's futile, or that she's worried about him, she's actively prohibiting him from being nosey and becoming a part of her problems and making her feel even worse. She is both angry and defeated and has no idea who Cloud even is yet. In a way it is a passive invitation for him to surprise her when she's almost given up hope.
>>
>>5360189
you're wrong and you talk out your ass in real life and sound like an idiot because you're faking confidence while being half cocked
>>
>>5360124
>it's written in katakana for emphasis
dame is most commonly written in katakana like a lot of other words. katakana being used only for foreign words and emphasis is just a widely spread misconception.
>>
>>5359950
>>actively believing the story makes much more sense in japanese (it doesn't)
I mean it definitely does because the story is about the characters not all this dumb sci fi shit that's just the rigwork for movie shit to happen
>>
>>5359924
i was going to run through it awhile back but it changes famous series terms like moogle
>>
>>5360280
>Countless untranslated games
>Lets do one that's been done for ages
>>
>>5360283
well the mindset is "lets try to fix that one famous game that has a terrible translation"
it worked for chrono trigger's retrans imo but I probably wont try ff7's
>>
>>5360280
>famous series terms like moogle
What's the direct translation?
>>
>>5360339
Mogri
>>
>>5360289
CT didn't need a re-translation to start with.
>>
>>5360091
>with his donut steel?
how old are you? Got to be up there. Old enough to stop writing that cringe.
>>
Years ago I would post stuff like this >>5360124 or reply to it, engaging in a discussion about translations. I was intermediate back then, at that's exactly the level you feel like you need to share your "vast" knowledge of Japanese.

Nowadays I just can just say "lol EOPs, all translations are shit" and be done with it.

lol EOPs, all translations are shit
>>
>>5360602
Maybe next time you'll be less of a cunt and not announce that you're not announcing something.
>>
>>5360612
Good luck with your studies.
>>
>>5360616
ありがとうございました
>>
>>5360248
the exact next thing to come out of her mouth is asking him to be her bodyguard im pretty sure
>>
>>5360237
No languages can be translated perfectly between each other, and all languages have words that have multiple meanings based on context.

One example someone brought up with English games that get translated into other languages is if the game has a button, action or prompt called "interact", it always get really clumsily translated because very few languages actually HAVE a generic, super-contextual word like that, and the game rarely allows for the translator to translate the same prompt 20 different ways depending on context. Often it just gets translated as if it had said "use", which looks kinda awkward in certain contexts.
>>
>>5360602
Honestly I'd appreciate more if you actually talked about games. Most Jap exclusive threads die with zero discussion. Or maybe you're not as good as you think you are?
>>
>>5360202
Speaking of Cait Sith. I played through the game three times but always missed the moment when it was made clear that it is controlled by Reeve.
>>
>>5360121
>but the fact that he, at some point, thought it was okay to insert his fanfiction into the only version of his release

This is untrue. He wrote that as a separate mod.
>>
>>5360795
>if the game has a button, action or prompt called "interact", it always get really clumsily translated because very few languages actually HAVE a generic, super-contextual word like that

That's interesting to think about.
>>
File: FF7_retranslation.jpg (137 KB, 500x417)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>5359924
>>
Just leave the fucking game alone. It’s a classic!
>>
>>5361159
Further to my last. As an example, the Shining Force games for the Genesis were notoriously badly translated. I know of at least one spelling mistake. I would not want them to change a single thing about the games. They were the classics I grew up with.
>>
>>5361146
Cringe.
>>
>>5360268
While it’s possible that it wasn’t necessarily intended as emphasis, I contend it’s a valid interpretation, of which there are several. To say it’s not ever used for emphasis or to stand out is not correct. I can very easily imagine her putting stress on that word out of a certain exasperation.
>>
>>5361159
>>5361163
>do not improve poor translations because I grew up with them!
Are those parody posts?
>>
>>5361201
Is this?
>>5361146
>>
>>5361301
Using fake screenshots to use as a strawman argument is not parody, just standard shiposting.
Won't stop as long as retards fall for it.
>>
File: what should have been.jpg (300 KB, 658x520)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
No, that's not how it was meant to be played.
>>
>>5360602
I actually legitimately take it as a compliment that you associate what I said with something around intermediate level.
>>
>>5361146
is taken from an unrelated video about anime fan subs, but still captures the spirit of this piece of shit.

People were even calling the translator out on his bullshit 3 years ago and he deleted his comments like a little bitch
>>
>>5359950
>>5360131
>implying the remake won't butcher the characters even worse

Get ready for it niggas because they will be massively fucking that aspect up.
>>
>>5360602
>I used to contribute now I just shit up the board
>>
>>5359924
I played through it from start to finish last year. It fixes things like the grammar and typos so everything is nice and clean but honestly most of the actual translation changes are really minor.
The biggest problem is Cait Sith now speaks with a "hilarious and wacky" Scottis/Gaelic/Welsh accent that is infuriating and barely legible. Even though yes technically he's a Celtic character, it's a fucking mess.
If it wasn't for the bullshit accents it would be the best way to play through the game.
>>
>>5361640
All of 4chan is just baseless shitposting and people feeling smug about it
Literally the entire site
>>
>>5361673
>tfw ket shee
They did that to him in Advent Children and it made him indecipherable
>>
>>5361673
Actually, the accent is the one thing I can probably defend, because he has an accent in the Japanese game too, and it's actually plot-relevant.
>>
So what translation is actually good
>>
>>5361675
Fatalism is so precious.
>>
>>5360412
>Somebody is close to someone who needs help, find this person fast!
localization fanboy drones, every single time
>>
>>5361201
No parody here, my friend. My issue is they wouldn’t stop with a simple translation. The SJWs would get involved, and they might change maybe how Barrett talks, or make one of the female characters use more “empowering” language. Stuff like that would change the general essence of the game, and I’m not onboard with that.

Final Fantasy VII is literally perfect just as it is. Leave it alone.
>>
>>5360546
>Old enough to stop writing that cringe.
Nothin's more 'cringe' than writing 'cringe'.
>>
>>5361091
Not originally.
>>
>>5360150
What are you talking about? If anything the translation made Cloud and the characters even more comical and upbeat than originally, which is in direct contrast with the edgy compilation.
>>
>>5360000
Thats was just an insane PR guy the translation team had just a hanger on who wanted to replace Cait sith with his own OC DU NUT STEAL. Don't have the screenshotted posts on hand but his OC was such a fucking mary sue.
>>
>>5361345
that looks like Wild Arms
>>
>>5362686
WA looks better than that and actually has a really rich color palette
>>
>>5360000
Look buddy are you questioning the greatness of Judas Iscariot?
>>
>>5363089
>Iscariot
post it
>>
>>5359924
The wonky dialogue of the original translation is half the fun of this game
>>
>>5360189
See you're falling into the same trap as the subject of the thread. The anon you replied to attempted to keep the same emphasis as the original, where you have inarguably made it better english at the expense of losing the character.
>>
I don't care about the fan mod, but FF7 could use an official revised translation, it helped 4, 5, 6 and Chrono Trigger. From 8 onwards they got better, but 7 still has all those wrong spell names among other errors. Knowing SE, that won't happen anymore, with the remake coming and all.
>>
>>5360683
Actually Cloud introduces himself as her bodyguard and she starts calling him that after as like a joke between them.
>>
>>5362405
>The SJWs would get involved, and they might change maybe how Barrett talks, or make one of the female characters use more “empowering” language.
He never talks like that in the Japanese version, they don't swear as much, and the girls aren't feminist mary sues either. SJWs already got what they wanted with the new official PC script edit (many cuts, like retard or Barret lines) and the remake is gonna be a bloodbath on that front.

SJWs are against retranslations to begin with (and you're helping them) because they want no other option to be available anymore besides the pozzed official localizations or pozzed "fan localizations", and retranslations like Beacause (no matter how autistic the author is) that prioritize authenticity are getting a hard time getting made or approved at all in romhacking sites (some other fan localizations and "rewrites" have a much smoother sailing) because pozzed moderators too. You're a literal tool if you think like that.
>>
>>5364303
Japanese Barret literally says shit in english as an exclamation.
>>
>>5364423
>Barret literally says shit
Woah, what an edgelord! R-rate this
>>
"I don't want fun I want accuracy" is the worst fucking kind of person

Lemme have my poor localization. I don't give a fuck a fucking anime tier story got "ruined" because the character had a slightly different name or acted more serious in the original. Give me the fun motherfucker Barret is in the ps1 localization. It's FFVII, it's not deep unless you're fucking 15. Faggots.
>>
>>5360124
This... this is pasta, right? This is translating dame literally. What the fuck.
>>
>>5365915
Your alternate suggestion is _____?
>>
>>5365859
>I want to have what I want, but you're not allowed to have what you want
Are you SURE you're older than 15?
>>
>>5366071
Not him but I like >>5360189 that guy's option. It flows much better.
>>5363212
Emphasise it then, if it's such a large issue. Simple shit.
>Cloud! It's NO USE reasoning with them!

Though really, I wouldn't bother trying to literally force all emphasis of individual words to come across in a translation though. Languages do work differently.
Sort of like punctuation. I really really don't want to read a shit ton of ellipses. Because, in excess, they're obnoxious in English and make dialogue come across awkward as fuck. But they're incredibly common in Japanese, to an absurd degree. Sometimes commas work better, sometimes sentences should be entirely restructured or reordered for flow, as long as meaning can be preserved.
If the line can be purely translated with all emphasis while still flowing well, then so be it. But it can't always work like that.

And same with honorifics and pronouns. They don't always translate well into English either. It's best just to change the tone of dialogue to provide pompous, cutesy, subservient, or similar traits, rather than hamfisting shit like Mr.Me for 俺様 in FFVI's fan piece of shit.
On that note, from another thread, >>5362279
>"You stand in the presence of Siegfried, the world's greatest swordsman"
There's a beautiful example of that, in my personal opinion.
>>
>>5361146
I really hate the word nakama. Fuck one piece fanbase for this shit. Just say friends or comrades.
>>
Aeriittthhhhhhh
>>
>>5366221
In One Piece it almost always translates most naturally to "crew", though.
>>
>>5366292
>>5366221
Yeah, I don't think the One Piece fandom ever really got what "nakama" means. It has nothing to do with friendship in general, it has to do with belonging to a group. The closest English equivalent is "kin", but since that's not a very commonly used word, it's better to just go with something that contextually means what nakama means in that particular situation. "Friend" is rarely the ideal choice, though.
>>
>>5366307
I've always considered the closest English equivalent to be "comrade". They both mean belonging in or being a member of a group.
There may be a someone political nuance nowadays, sadly, but that's incredibly irrelevant outside of specific contexts.
>>
>>5366192
It’s not necessarily “reasoning,” though. It’s a more abstract situation that doesn’t imply “trying to make a rational argument/deal.”
>>
>>5366471
"It's NO USE bothering with them!" then? That covers much of かまう as a bother/care/concern.
I mean they all work fairly well to get the message and tone across as is, without changing the story or characters. That's the most important part.
We could spend hours nitpicking every single individual line and probably get something nice out, but it's almost definitely not worth the time.
>>
>>5366482
Why was it worth nitpicking “useless,” though? That’s not a highfalutin, obscure word.
>>
>>5365859
>Lemme have my poor localization.
Cries the fanboy as he justifies other people should not have their own translations either.
>>
>>5366484
It's not, really. It just doesn't flow as well. So other options could be considered.
And ダメ is far too common of a word to try and fist it in as USELESS every time. It's used more often to set the tone as negative (Don't, no good, bad, stop) than to actually act as a standalone word with literal meaning as uselessness.
So really, "Don't bother with them!" works fine too.
But IF you want to force that emphasis through and still give it some decent flow, "It's NO USE bothering with them" probably works best.

Honestly, if someone wants to fix it and do an actually detailed and thoughtful job to that level, then by all means more power to them. It gets really, really tiresome though.
For something already translated without gamebreaking levels of censorship or modification though, I just couldn't imagine putting in that work.
>>
>>5366526
>Don’t bother with them!

Yeah, I guess that works. I like it better than the “no use” one. Also, I’m not sure if she actually even considers the Turks a real threat, considering she always seems to be able to dodge them, and even plays into their hands later of her own free will. But, as you said, this is trifling.

To be honest, I do think the translation is close to game-breaking in places. There’s the “Hmm, so that’s how you’ll fool them” segment, and the omitted Barret line on the train (strangely enough, Beacause did that one correctly). I haven’t perused the late-game plot points in Japanese, so I don’t know how good or bad it is there. But in the end, I don’t think FF7 is enough of a masterpiece to warrant a careful rewrite on that scale.
>>
>>5360269
Have you played the game in Japanese?
It doesn't make any more sense. The shit you've complained about doesn't make the story any less of a shitfest.
>>
>>5361384
Cool. But be careful to not freeze at that level. It happens to 4chan learners a lot.
>>
>>5367237
It’s tough. Sometimes this stage feels like it’s a fucking mountain. But I keep doing it even on the days when it feels like it’s going nowhere.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.