[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: image.jpg (237 KB, 1138x638)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
Confess your sins here

>own an NES and actively buy games for it
>don't even like Mario or platformers
>most of my library are sports games
>>
I don't fall for the "soulless" meme and use filters with impunity, because I was actually alive for the NES and SNES heyday, and think modern tech makes those games look better. Sorry millenials! Also, I think the Doom thread is populated with third-worlders, because only they bother with online because can't afford modern games or systems (that and the JAJAJAJA count is astronomical). I also am one of the few that owned an N64 and too many games and can say truthfully that the system was a complete letdown, and only tryhards regard it with anything other than pure contempt. Oh, and I don't collect plastic because some autist, 40-year-old-virgin says I'm poor (I'm not). Having less input lag via emulation oddly does not keep me up at night, either. Lastly, I have no desire to even emulate most Genesis titles; only wiggers and dumbasses even owned a Genesis. BWANG!
>>
>>5358767
*clap*
>>
File: 1549413348310.png (531 KB, 512x512)
531 KB
531 KB PNG
I've played a majority of emulated games on the PC with a modded Dualshock 3 ps3 controller.
>>
games from before the mid 80s depress me.
>>
>blew on carts
>missed out on most of the saturn and n64
>tired of most 2d platformers
>used idkfa a lot
>traded in skies of arcadia and grandia 2 for gas money
>>
>>5358807
>traded in skies of arcadia and grandia 2 for gas money
oof
>>
>>5358728
>Confess your sins here
I am totally content with S-video, and have never played more than a few minutes of any zelda game.
>>
I only play teams in online brood war because I need someone to carry me and I know ill lose a 1v1
>>
I have never finished a single one of the 1500+ physical games I own.
>>
>>5358728
I spend more time looking at a list of ROMs than actually playing any.
>>
>>5358949
I used to archive fullsets but I threw them all out because having so much shit was stressing me out.
>>
>>5358946
Lol holy shit this one wins. Post your games.
>>
>>5358807
>>used idkfa a lot
That's not that bad. A lot of fun with video games came with messing around with stuff, even if you weren't supposed to like using glitches or AR/Game Genie codes. In game cheat codes with many games including GTA and Age of Empires was so great to kill the time.

Now if you mean you never beat a game 'legitimately', only using codes and claim you beat it for real would be a different situation.

>>5358728
I still prefer playing cart games on original carts instead of getting a flashcart even if it would be a smarter choice from an economical point of view. Too much nostalgia for the stuff I owned and the consoles I played back then.
>>
>>5358728
I used to play jarpigs
>>
>>5358728
>own an NES
>most of my library are sports games
huh?
>>
>>5358946
pic or never happened
>>
>>5358980
It takes effort to actually beat a game
>>
File: WP_20181231_22_01_43_Pro.jpg (3.49 MB, 4208x2368)
3.49 MB
3.49 MB JPG
I kept all my old boxes from 8 and 16 bit games, but not carefully for display, just tossed in a cardboard box. After being tossed around in multiple moves, most have gotten dented, ripped, or crushed.

Ditto for my old instruction manuals, didn't keep them with the boxes or the cartridges, but tossed into a large paper shopping bag. While playing some drunken DDR I spilled my beer in the bag, ruining them all.

>>5358831
Oof indeed. I my exwife traded in my Magna Carta Tears of Blood deluxe box set for gas money, and her brother stole my Earthbound cartridge. Stupid smackhead probably sold in to a local pawn shop for $5.
>>
File: WP_20181029_09_26_34_Pro.jpg (1.49 MB, 4208x2368)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
>>5358976
Not into sports or sports games, but got to admit I had fun when a friend talked me into playing some Temco Super Bowl with him. Seeing dudes go flying head over heels when they get tackled is just too ridiculous to not enjoy.
>>
I dont even fucking play video games anymore. I just listen to a fuckton of 16 bit video game music.
>>
>>5359358

yo recommend me some slammin dungeon synth shit
>>
>>5358728
>pirate the original game
>buy the clone from another company
>>
I haven't 100%'d a game since 2002
>>
>>5358976
>actually 2-player instead of the bullshit alternating turns
>simplified yet with enough depth to still be fun
>controls so simple no one will ever be handicapped or disadvantaged by not knowing how to perform the perfect feint slide tackle fastball dunk
>stats are just enough a part of the game to not overwhelm the gameplay
>easy to pick up and play by anyone who wants to try the NES
>charming graphics that haven't aged
I have other games too, of course. I don't like platformers but I enjoy pretty much every other genre on the NES
>>
>>5358783
How is this a sin? The Dualshock 3 is an excellent controller for plenty of retro systems.
>>
>>5359363
Fuck thats more my doomer friends area of expertise.
>>
Started FF7 and got so bored in 45 minutes that I never finished it.

I think castlevania/metroid and megaman are not fun franchises.
>>
I bought lots of japanese RPG games and I don't even know the language!!
>>
>>5358767
I think filters just look ugly. Fields where the sharpness of the original console graphics was supposed to look a certain way just become blobs of color.
>>
>>5360838
out of curiosity, what are fun franchises for you?
>>
>>5362767
Revenge of the Gator.
>>
>>5358728
I fucked up replacing the pins on my NES and accidentally shorted it, and instead of taking responsibility I swapped the case with my friend's working NES where he's been none the wiser about it even after 15+ years.
>>
>>5358728
Honestly, nothing wrong with sports games anon. Sports games used to be a way different beast than they are now. I play NBA Jam a lot and have 0 interest in basketball. Same thing with Ken Griffey on N64, though I was a Mariners fan because their heyday lined up with my interest in baseball as a kid. Those old sports games are exaggerated in all the right ways to make them a fucking blast compared to the dedication to making everything realistic now. I think a lot of people just sneer at the very concept of sports games and they’re missing out on a lot of excellent games because of it.
>>5358971
I’ve got flashcarts for SNES and Genesis but I still prefer original carts and will buy them if I find what I want for the right price. I see them more as complements than replacements for a game library.
>>
>>5358767
I was with you until you talked that good shit about Sega Genesis.

If you like Super Nintendo, thank Sega and thank NEC's PC Engine for giving Nintendo the motivation to make one of their greatest consoles with some of their best games when they could have easily phoned it in.
>>
>>5358728
I've never beaten Mega-Man without using the pause glitch and lie about it.
>>
File: 1549824742281.png (243 KB, 893x869)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>5358728
I used save states to beat Kid Chameleon. Still a great game though.
>>
>>5360838
To be honest, turn-based JRPGs were only widely appealing to the young people of the past (90s/early 00s). Nowadays, you're either the minority that can put up with that genre's quirks or you fucking hate them.
>>
>the only zelda game I like is zelda 2
>super mario 2 is the best mario game (yes i know its actually super dooky world or whatever)
>>
File: 1501449748284.gif (116 KB, 320x224)
116 KB
116 KB GIF
>>5358728
Old-school sports games could be great, especially some of the NES ones.
>>5358728
>spend more time listening to old video game music and reading and watching videos about them than actually playing them
>have flash carts for NES, Genesis, and SNES (the three main consoles I care about, and in that order) but don't play them all that often
I'm keeping an eye on MiSTer nonetheless.
>playing with a composite connection and on a small consumer-grade CRT is good enough for me
>I don't care that much about series like Mega Man and Zelda apart for nostalgia and the music
>never cared for the RPG experience
>Super Mario Bros. 3 has never appealed that much to me
>prefer the raw gameplay of Wolfenstein 3D to Doom, even if the level design is tedious and I don't feel like I could go back to playing without ECWolf's map feature; Doom is still a classic, though
>rarely finish games I start
When I play a game nowadays, it's usually something that is made to just pick up and play for a little while as a break. Sometimes I'll end up getting sucked into a strategy game for several hours at a time, but that's not an everyday thing.
>>5359363
You've probably heard these already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VDOVu-cnM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_L2QCBKOeE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKSu-wZChcQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxgVmpAk538
This one sounds like a SNES or Ameager game, oddly enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zhonFtBBfQ
>>
>>5358728
I had a shit computer back then so setting mame up was a chore (or probably straight up impossible) so I got used to only play most arcade games if they get a console port, and still do that to this very day
>>
>>5364263
So, your friend's NES doesn't work and he doesn't know coz he hasn't played it in 15+ years, right?
>>
>>5358728
>I never had a NES. Or any other console for that matter.
>I am a Commodore/Amiga/PC fag.
>I literally don't know how to use a controller.
>>
>>5358728
I suck at beating anything that isn't a JRPG.
Still, love the games. Me being shit doesn't make Contra III shit.
>>
>a seeder of TDC15
>posseses literally every TOSEC ROM and disk image collections
>don't have time to play video games
>>
>>5364938
I'm afraid I don't really get this music. I'll add to my recommendations list though. Last one does sound Snes/amigaey.
>>
I've never been good at 3D games, they make me dizzy and disoriented.
>>
>>5365551
It's kind of an acquired taste, although it makes great background music if you like ambient and new age-type stuff..
>>
A CRT is not absolutely necessary for retro games unless you need a light gun.
>>
>>5364263
pure evil
>>
>>5366338

It's not necessary but it makes the experience a lot better
>>
>>5358728
I play old FPS games with WASD+Mouse because modern FPS has spoiled me.
>>
File: Yamaha_sounds_intensify.jpg (2.33 MB, 2016x1512)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>5358728
I still feel guilty buying Gleylancer from an old Japanese lady for $20. Even back then, before it even appeared on the Wii virtual shop, it was still a pricey item and I knew it. While $20USD is still a lot of money, I do feel like I cheated the lady and she may have been too polite/nice to turn me down.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (46 KB, 1280x720)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
I am sinless.
>>
I hook up non-HDMI consoles over composite and don't give a shit about PAL vs NTSC
Also I use PAL composite shaders when playing emulators
>>
>>5358728
I live in NA and a US game has never graced the pins of my SNES
>>
>got a Dreamcast in August
>used it twice
>>
>>5358728

I thought the original Half Life was boring as fuck. Actually I think all FPSs are fucking boring, with the exception of Duke Nukem 3D.
>>
>>5366495
Waaait, how were they played back in the day?
Wasn't the first Doom also WASD+mouse? And Quake, Blood, etc.?
>>
>>5366320
Yeah I'm more used to jazz fusion, zeuhl and pc engine synth rock I suppose. Last new age album I heard was apparently Anthony Phillips Slow Dance. I think I'll be able to get into this dungeon synth stuff with time though.
>>
>>5366712
Pure sex right here. This console is a shmup king.
>>
>>5366712
$20 is not a lot of money. Nowadays Mario 3 goes for 20
>>
Always thought the PS1 was way better than the SNES
>>
>>5366712
Note anon, please stop that avatar use of yours. It doesn't make you special or funny, only obnoxious and creates off-topic discussion.
>>
>>5368063
I unironically like cheeseball new age music like Worldwide by Dancing Fantasy or the first David Arkenstone album (as well as a ton of soundtrack music) so it wasn't much of an adjustment for me to go from black metal to that stuff. Burzum's electronic pieces were always some of my favorites anyway.
>>
>>5359039
>her brother stole my Earthbound cartridge
what the actual fuck my dude
>>5358728
I grew up without videogames for the most part and I was completely captivated whenever I got close to them so I've been filling the void since my teens instead
>>
I play N64 on my HDMI TV because my Sony PVM is too small.
>>
>>5358728
I usually play retro games on either a PSP or a raspberry pi hooked up to a plasma tv with a ps3 controller these days.
>>
>>5370095
Sweet ill pop them on when i get in the mood. Still cant get used to the association of dungeon synth with metalheads though.
>>
>>5372275
Say what you will about the black metal scene, but those guys have tended to have pretty eclectic tastes in music.
>>
>>5358728
>I have a CRT but don’t use it because it’s just a regular non Trinitron composite set
>I like my rgb scart to hdmi going into my 55in setup better because the picture quality and colors are much nicer
>I buy repro carts and boxes because screw giving some reseller $200 for a 25 year old game
>I love SEGA hardware but don’t give a single crap about Sonic
>I really don’t care for N64 or its library at all
>>
>>5366712
>ranger x
>gleylancer
my basketball american! great collection!
>>
>>5358728
Bought a TurboGrafx-16 and a Sega Saturn only to find out that I can't afford the fucking games. Good thing I lost that bid on the Atari 7800.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.