[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: worms armageddon.jpg (18 KB, 234x135)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Do you still play on WormNET?
>>
>>5354705
No. I have Worms 2 on cd-rom, and Worms World Party on ps1. It's like living on an island and nobody has come visit you in 20 years.
>>
>>5354789
Anon, WA routinely is sold for like 2 bucks on Steam.
>>
File: wa.jpg (432 KB, 1920x1080)
432 KB
432 KB JPG
>>5354789
That's because you aren't playing the supreme version that is still being updated and polished by the community to this very day: Worms Armageddon. Everytime i launch it there's always someone willing to play.
>>
occasionally. I suck though, so I mostly play single player. Great game, one of the greatest
>>
File: intermediate.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>5354816
>I suck though, so I mostly play single player
I know that feel, that's why i will always play Mole Shopper or Super Sheeper, almost never Intermediate. Those guys are way too good for me, i spectated several plays of a veteran called Bytor and i was very overwhelmed. Felt like i was watching some kind of professional chess match.
>>
>>5354843
exactly, I remember playing against one guy who said at the end that I was just extremely predictable. Just like in chess, your have to analyse every possible move in advance and counter it. The execution part and the possibility of failure just makes it more fun.
>>
>>5354854
True, not only there are some valuable tricks such as rope knocking, efficient use of grappling grenades, (etc.), but the actual pros will even go as far as to count your weapons (like on the picture i posted earlier) or keep in mind the worms' rotation. There's a lot going on in this game, way more than i thought.
>>
Many moons have passed since the worms went to war.
Onwards and upwards, bigger weapons than before.
Boggy B took cover, he shivered on patrol.
The arms race crazy, simply way out of control.

Then his friend threw it, the latest device.
Boggy B went and got it, against all advice - "What the...?"
His tail was split, and his energy lost.
How many more will this dreaded war cost?

Then came the nuke, and the disease tumbling down.
If the bug didn't get to you, you'd probably drown.
But the worms battled on, through hunger and pain.
Living to fight, just to victor again.

And now it's the curtain call, the final onslaught,
no better bullet could you possibly have bought.
But spare a thought for Boggy and with it his friend.
So fight with their honour, and fight until the end
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VibqcceT87c
>>
>>5354813
Can you play shopper on the steam version?
>>
>>5356218
Bjorn Lynn makes some real comfy music
>>
>>5356252
You can play anything you want on the Steam version with every kind of customization. Not trying to be a shill here, but it's actually way more accessible than ever before, especially regarding hosting and online play in general.
>>
>>5354806
I have it on my wishlist on GOG. Can't wait for it so go on sale so I can fuel my jew boner.
>>5354813
>always someone willing to play
*willing to obliterate you mercilessly
Probably the most skilled fanbase of any game, desu. I won't stand a chance.
>>
>>5356370
That's actually pretty cool to hear. I'm getting the steam version asp.
>>
>>5356376
>*willing to obliterate you mercilessly
Fair enough, lol. There's still plenty of noobs and intermediate players out there so you can always manage to have some fun, but those are not so common compared to pros and bona fide, outstanding veterans.
>>
Last time I played on WormNET was about 3 years ago. Glad to see it's still doing well.
A retro gaming con I went to recently had PC W:A set up for hotseat games.
>>
>>5356996
Really, now that Deadcode and CyberShadow are maintaining it it's something unbelievably consistent.
>retro gaming con
I wish something like that would exist in my shit hole
>>
>>5356376
>Probably the most skilled fanbase of any game, desu. I won't stand a chance.
Pretty much any older game with MP support has some ridiculously skilled players, but WA's roots as a casual game to play hot seat with friends still ensure a greater amount of noobs and casuals than you'd think.
Like, if you think this, you're not ready to meet Quake or Starcraft players
>>
>>5354995
not too sound arrogant, but keeping a count of your enemy ammo and troop rotation is something even casual s̶h̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ players are supposed to do.
>>
>>5354843
Where should I watch these professional chess matches?
>>
>>5358081
I don't know man, I've seen Worms dudes make shots with bazookas that I thought were impossible. Back when I had Worms 2 new I went online once and I then already I got raped by pros with names like "CrazyDuckyzz". Players like that now had years of time under their belt. CrazyDuckyzz will be waiting to rape me once again with even more precision when I return. Waiting.
>>
File: 1506420543245.gif (352 KB, 256x256)
352 KB
352 KB GIF
I'm kinda tempted to play multiplayer worms, depite the fact that I've never played with others in this game excluding some hotseat sessions with my brother way back in the day
So the question is: how hard my ass is going to get kicked, if I go and play with some randoms at WormNET?
>>
>>5358659
If you play a standard mode such as intermediate, you'll get owned, but if you get into a weird mode like shopper or rope race, you'll be utterly destroyed.
>>
>>5358698
So it's either eating the cactus, or shoving it up my ass.
Decisions, Decisions...
>>
>>5358726
Just steal a kid off the streets and force him to play Worms with you for hours. Feed him Lunchables from time to time to keep him happy.
>>
>>5358493
True, in fact that's just the tip of the iceberg... It's just that i've watched some incredible matches out there and i couldn't believe how every single second was precious for those guys, with beautiful rope stunts, well used weapons/accessories and tricks that the book won't show you if not by genuine practice. I'm even uploading that shit on YouTube so one day i can re-watch it when i'm not at home or i don't have this PC anymore, i am really that obsessed.
>>5358510
If you're sarcastic and you're just talking about real chess, idk man, i would either suggest Kasparov VS Topalov or the former VS a computer. If you're indeed talking about WA, either WormTube or YouTube. I'm willing to upload my stuff on the latter in a few days and i have some very rare shit, but i'm not willing to shill my channel on 4chan of all places.
>>
>>5358659
>>5358726
Don't listen to him, he's right but there's always the chance you'll find someone to play with, if not on your own level at least near of it, and even if, you can always learn something new anyway. That's part of the fun too... And if you're particularly bitchy just like me, just join/open a room with schemes with very limited or absent ropes, such as Mole Shopper. So they can't hand your ass to ya but you'll still have plenty of fun with well thought out game modes
>>
>>5354813
just bought the game a few weeks ago, excited to get into a new scene
>>
>>5358938
Good for you man, it's quite the ride
>>
No but I regularly play hot-seat games with a friend. Over a lot of games we made a fair schema for us
some of the details
>13 seconds per turn (if we're very sober we'll sometimes reduce it to 11)
>1 second escape time (same for rope escape)
>instant mines, no duds
>ammo only on start, not cumulative
>crate drops on the rare side
>weapons pic related
>2 fast walks, 2 laser sights
>some weapon powers changed, e.g. reduced to 2 for rope, girder, shotgun, kamikaze
>no delays for any weapons
>>
>>5359063
You should try Hysteria. 1 second per turn and something like 5 seconds before the start of each one, in order to better grasp what you should do on that mere time frame.
>>
>>5358909
it's not really shilling if someone is asking you for a video you haven't even uploaded yet dude, lol

I could see if we were on /g/ or some shit and you didn't want the comments to overwhelmed with shitposters and trannies but there are probably like 20 guys total who hang out on this board lol, and around 17 of them are cool
>>
Worms WMD is fucking dead rn i havent played worms in years whats the status on the multiplayer scene in WA currently population wise? I remember hosting buddy made everything easy
>>
File: Image1.jpg (411 KB, 1280x720)
411 KB
411 KB JPG
>>5359153
Although that's relatively true, /vr/ is getting bigger by the day and not with veterans but with actual retrofags with a debatable background (such as /v/, reddit or whatever they come from). That's not necessarily a problem if they didn't follow an exact script of shitposting, buzzwords and poorly argumented topics... Of course there are exceptions but these get rarer by day and the final point is, i don't really know if that's the right thing to do, to post a video here... Perhaps yes, but only because i have faith on the Worms community and not on /vr/ as a whole (although don't misunderstand me, i said the board is getting some cracks but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad place, still far from it. It's my favorite, actually... The only one i still use). So, yeah. I'll need some time to edit the thing correctly and to upload it, but if the thread will still be alive until say, one or two days, i'll think about posting it. It's some good stuff and i have plenty of this shit, with something like 20 other videos regarding pro player(s) owning each other.
>>
>>5359204
Hosting Buddy is still used but it's obsolete imho. Just buy the game from Steam (currently on discount btw) and click the Host button on the relative menu and you'll be good to go. Way easier than ever, really. Population wise, there's plenty of people playing. First time i replayed this game i thought multiplayer was long dead but to my surprise there were something like 100 users connected and playing. It's really a lot if we take in consideration when this game was launched.
>>
File: worms.png (27 KB, 536x358)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>5359218
Some sort of commentated tournament coverage would be nice, similar in style to golf or snooker.
>>
>>5359121
played that once, the fun of it wears off very fast
>>
>>5358726
I mean, you might still run into a noob from time to time, but it seems like most people who still play WA online have years of experience behind them.
>>
>>5359480
Nothing like that, i don't like to comment my gameplays (especially because i'm not a native speaker, asd). It's about the rise and laughable demise of a veteran pro-player. Stop to read if you don't want to be spoiled (although i think nearly no one gives a single shit but still); the thing will be structured in several videos, with this same player being seemingly unbeatable with its beautiful play-style and then, something unexpected happens at the very end... The videos are "virgins", meaning that the actual sound effects and soundtrack will play as usual, with the exceptions being the sporadic highlights / summaries at the beginning of the video and some brief text on the end.
>>
So why was Armageddon the one that got all the development focus? World party is just Armageddon with more stuff, I remember my old CD had both of them together as well.

Are there any custom single player campaigns. or a way to make one yourself. I always loved doing the challenge missions.
>>
>>5359665
Because the only good novelties that WP delivered were ultimately sent to WA too, where the community still proliferated and refinished the game, making the former utterly pointless. Also best soundtrack.
>>
Whats everyone here thoughts on the 3d worms games? Such ss worms 3d and worms 4/ultimate mayhem etc?
>>
>>5360337
not good and not retro
>>
>>5360337
not as good like 2D games but very good nonetheless, also not retro
>>
File: Image4.jpg (112 KB, 1280x720)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>5359153
>>5359480
Ok so, i've published the first two parts for the reasons i previously stated here >>5359218 again, i'm not trying to shill anything especially because i'm not exactly that proud of a channel that is often very obsolete or even literal shit anyway. Too much variety, too much experimental. But rant aside, this is Worms and that's what counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxYuS381Ts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmYTs_7RuXE
>>
>a worms thread on /vr/ that didn't die in a few hours
I'm happy
>>
>>5359483
Fair enough, i'll admit it's way too much chaotic to have consistent fun with it and to some degree it's even more skill-based than some other schemes, for the wrong reasons (don't quote me on this though, it's not necessarily true).
>>5361626
Me too
>>
>>5361602
>that low grav baseball bat.
Such a perfect arc, my favorite death so far. I'd like to see more sometime, lad.
>>
>>5361817
That's nothing, i've recorded some unbelievably good things... I've plenty to share, i just need the time to edit the thing correctly. This pro-playing will go south real fast, trust me
>>
>>5361843
Yeah I wasn't finished and OHkay I did not know you could bungee directly from jet pack. Insanity.
...and I was in the top-ranked clan in W:A for over a year. I didn't think I'd see anything new here. Thanks for sharing man.
>>
>>5361860
Thanks to you for the feedback, very much appreciated. This Bytor man himself says that even after 20 years of intensive playing he still has some things to grasp out, and that's the beauty of this game. So old, yet so full of content and tiny but nonetheless important details; looking forward to post more for this reason alone.
By the way, can i ask you the nickname you were using when you played top-rank? I'm very interested, but i can understand if you don't want to share it.
>>
>>5354705
Do I need a legit copy of this to play online or can I grab a pirate version?
>>
>>5361921
From what i know some people are playing pirated, but i don't know if there's any limitation for this. As someone already said on this thread, it's routinely on discount, if anything.
>>
>>5361921
No theres no cd keys for WA so no verification for wormnet
>>
>>5361904
>By the way, can i ask you the nickname you were using when you played top-rank? I'm very interested, but i can understand if you don't want to share it.
I've been thinking about it some, and I'm not quite certain. I'm betting it was probably still MiraiTrunx or something excessively cringe-worthy and DBZ related.
What I can tell you for sure though is I was in Kansetsu Ninja. Tetsuo and Psycrow were definitely the two best members and then it was me, Masenko and my brother LordNikon.

We had a small page+message board for the clan at kansetsu.da.ru
Here's what I came up with after a few minutes of Googling and poking around archive.org
http://tim32.org/~muzer/t17-archive/forum.team17.com/archive/index.php/t-36825.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20010801000000*/http://hammer.prohosting.com/~kn-ninja/

I haven't found a meaningful page on the archives yet but there's ~24 snapshots if you wanna poke around. There's tons of clans in that team17 forum archive post too!
>>
>>5361939
>>5362016
Sweet. See you boys on the worm.

Btw, I'm a rook. Is there difficulty matching or am I just going to annoy more experienced player by routinely getting my ass kicked?
>>
>>5362185
Just say it beforehand if you want to, some guys will definitely not mind because they prefer the number of players rather of how skilled they are. There were some instances where i asked to simply spectate because i wasn't on their same level but they warmly invited me to play because i would never learn that way. Got my ass kicked, but it was fun and they were very polite and even teached me some tricks (actually, i never had a single situation where someone didn't help me regarding something, just like no one belittled me for not knowing something). All in all it really depends from the player, it's not so toxic like someone would think, or at least generally it isn't, there's always exceptions in every game. Anyhow, the Intermediate aficionados ("default" scheme) are most likely in for something substantial, especially because pretty much everyone knows at least how to rope-knock decently... Although i did have the complete opposite just a few days ago, to my surprise: people hosting an intermediate room and they were all bad but having genuine fun. Then again, even the strongest fella is most likely the same regarding what i mentioned before: it's all about what you say to them before starting the game and if they accept your situation (highly likely), then there shouldn't be any problem.

The best thing would be to find your own "niche" of schemes, because that's where people can always fail someway or another, just like you would. If the inventory is limited, the rules are strict, rope-knocking is off, etc, you'll still have plenty of possibilities to win and also have fun. Don't quote me on this though, there are schemes like Full Wormage where it's the total opposite: you have all the weapons (super ones too) since the very beginning, in infinite quantity. Every scheme is a whole different beast, and that's good because even after all these years some people still enter a room and ask for the rules, of famous schemes too.
>nice blogpost fag
>>
>>5362290
Thanks for the advice. I see it's on GOG too. I'll have to grab a copy. God bless those Polish bastards
>>
>>5362139
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It's a shame that i never heard about it, and worms2d.info doesn't help because there isn't any mention about this clan / community there; i would've liked to read or watch something about it.

The thing is, i have a weird sense of "anemoia" regarding the multiplayer of this game... I played it a lot back in the day, but everytime in singleplayer or multiplayer locale with friends. Only lately i'm digging deeper and deeper into what i've been missing out.
>>
Favorite team voice scheme?
I was partial to Double-Oh-Seven back in the day.
>>
>>5363315
Soul Man
>>
File: mp.jpg (68 KB, 640x480)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
Rate my new team.
Fun fact: The Holy Hand Grenade was in fact invented by Monty Python. This weapon also appears in other games, such as Duke Nukem: Time To Kill.
>>
>>5363315
Thespian
>>
>>5362294
Some mods are incompatible with this version as I know
>>
>>5364447
Yeah, Steam is preferred
>>
Prod is the best weapon
>>
>>5366065
gravity + prod for maximum effectiveness
>>
>>5367612
beautiful
>>
>>5360337
Played 3D and 4 Mayhem to death, not retro and not as good as the 2D ones but I had tons of fun with them and love their aesthetic.
>>
>>5370661
Those two games you mentioned although weren't masterpieces like Armageddon are still great games, fuck whoever says otherwise. Played Mayhem a lot, loved how it was structured and the easter eggs are the cherry on top, such as Back to the Future's map and precisely the DeLorean.
>>
>>5362290
>actually, i never had a single situation where someone didn't help me regarding something, just like no one belittled me for not knowing something
This. I played it a lot during my teens and even 2-3 years ago, and the amount of real cunts was minimal. Sure, there were elitists, but even they weren't really that bad as in other games.
I remember when I started getting into roping I played a lot of towers and there was a couple of people who played them too and we'd meet randomly throughout the day and the more experienced ones would give shitters like me tips. Shame that towers aren't as popular now.
Just so I don't only blogpost, why couldn't they get roping right in the newer games? It was by far the most fun part of Armageddon for me.
>>
>>5371386
>why couldn't they get roping right in the newer games?
None of the worms games after Worms 2, Armageddon, and World Party, have been as good in any regard. Those games were perfect, especially Armageddon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.