[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: downloadfile.png (579 KB, 535x693)
579 KB
579 KB PNG
Is there a tl;dr on how to avoid locking yourself out of events? I don't want to use a walkthrough for the entire game, but it seems really complicated.
>>
>>5290401
You can get a placement map from a walkthrough and really that's the most important part. You can just play the rest organically
>>
>>5290414
If I recall, when you initially choose your map, there's only 3 or 4 specific spots where it's even possible to eventually get all the missions. I know you said you don't want a walkthrough, OP, but you kinda fucking need it in this instance.
>>
There are only 2 missable missions that require optimum map placement and they're nothing special.
>>
>>5290401
>plays a game where you're not supposed to experience everything in one playthrough
>"plz guys how can I experience everything in one playthrough?"
>>
As I recall, going back to your house with a guest character will make them leave and that causes some missions to fail.
>>
>>5290757
There aren't that many artifacts that need water tiles, though?
>>
>>5290942
That's only part of it. In addition to having the right map segment, you have to place certain artifacts in certain places that you just couldn't possibly know to do by playing the game blind. Like one mission can only happen if the Mana Tree is placed next to Domina. Meaning you have to keep a space free next to Domina for the entirety of the game. Who the actual fuck would think to do that?
>>
>>5290826
This.
>>
>>5290826
>>5291039
But it's not like, say, Chrono Cross where within 3 playthroughs you can acquire all the characters and thus see all the content. If you don't know the absolute correct map selection and artifact placement, you can play through the game 20 times and you still won't still all those quests.
>>
File: niccolo.png (1.91 MB, 1585x1112)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
What was his problem?
>>
>>5291071
That's the catch anon, you don't have to do that to fully enjoy the game. Each run is supposed to be different. Unless you're a completionist.
>>
>>5291085
Niccolo is a literal Jew
>>
Most boring, style over substance PS1 game I ever played... you literally can't game over.
>>
>>5291091
Well I got news for you, anon. The number of RPG enthusiasts who are also completionists is pretty substantial.
>>
>>5290826
You mean a game that was designed to sell strategy guides?
>>
File: 191-image410.png (83 KB, 640x448)
83 KB
83 KB PNG
>>5291096
>>
>>5291108
Completionism is really such a curse, not just in the extreme form the term is most often used to refer to where someone is determined to 100% every game even if they're not having any fun at 89%, but the general form I think pretty much everyone who plays story-based games at all experiences where you're determined to see every piece of content or get the good result for every side quest. The design often seems to be for the player to continue even if they aren't able to save the hostage or whatever, I haven't played the game this thread is about, but not being able to get things perfect is something that people really don't like, myself included. One game I can think of that does it well is Cave Story, I've beaten it with the "good ending" the first and third times I played it, but another time I was able to find a completely different ending earlier in the game where you're able to escape without completing the plot and it calls you a coward at the end of the cutscene. Still unsatisfying but I wasn't mad
>>
>do five missions
>suddenly remember that you forgot to talk to Lil' Cactus
>>
>>5291000
I think it depends on how much Mana you feed Domina, so in theory you could unlock it without the Tree
>>
File: Worf.jpg (101 KB, 694x530)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>5291163
>>
>>5291762
See, this "feeding mana" thing is never explained so that's yet another thing you need a guide to understand.
>>
>>5291803
It is definitely explained when you place your first artifact.
>>
>>5291116
No way, the game is easy as fuck. The missable content isn't even that important.
>>
>>5291812
Fair enough, it's been a few years since I last played. But they DEFINITELY don't tell you "hey btw you need to pump Domina full of this much mana to get this one mission."
>>
>>5291817
I don't try to 100% in my first playthrough so I never had any problems with it.
>>
>>5291826
Well, OP is, thus back to the original point that he needs a guide.
>>
>>5291831
OP is a faggot and shouldn't be listened and so is anyone who plays games with guides.
>>
You also need saves from other games to unlock things. I think it was ff8 for a chocobo pet, chocobo racing for a ring and saga 2 for a boss fight.
>>
>>5291815
People didn't buy strategy guides for 90s RPGs because they were difficult. They bought them so they wouldn't miss anything.
>>
>>5290401
It's hard missing too many events in this. There's like three events you have to reach in a specific order and like one event you can fuck up if you don't have the right element settings. Just look up a thread on gamefaqs to figure this all out.
This really isn't that obtuse of a game in finding side content.
>>
>>5292616
That said, the one for LoM is pretty shitty. It doesn't go into ANY kind of fine detail with the crafting system. You still need to go to gamefaqs to find that info.
>>
>>5292627
True the crafting systems in the game are on another level.
>>
Has anyone played the hack that makes it harder? Should I use that on a first playthrough?
>>
>>5292625
You can also miss the quest to un-petrify that fucking centaur if you do some other quests too early.
>>
>>5291085
>Niccolo: I hate niggers.
>Niccolo: They're the scum of the earth.
WOW. Chill out, Niccolo. Man, how did Square get away with that?
>>
>>5293271
It probably said round eyes originally and left out in the localization
>>
>>5293252
It just removes enemy hitstun I think. I'd do it for sure, the combat is too easy otherwise. Just so you know it doesn't work with 2 players.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.