[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 46 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: Truxton 2 16.png (75 KB, 240x320)
75 KB
75 KB PNG
Have you played this game? If not, I recommend trying it, even if it's just for a bit. Fun fast paced shooter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shhk239SeTs
>>
'90s Toaplan was garbo though.
>>
File: 8e7.jpg (23 KB, 540x361)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>5290263
>>
I'd rather play an actual game with an epic love story.
>>
this game is very hard. only the toughest shooter fiends will be able to survive a 1cc
>>
>>5290270
You know it to be true. It all started going downhill after Sky Shark, and reached critical shit when Ikeda took over.
>>
>>5290281
Even though it IS very challenging, survival play by itself is not comparable to what scoring players can do. So, by shmup standards, a clear of this is at best a moderately high achievement. I say this as a survival player who was able to get this but is still far worse than fellow scoring players.

>>5290286
I love me some Hishou Zame and I'm not the biggest fan of Ikeda (though I still like his early games), and it's an undeniable fact that this company's most influencial games came out in the 80's, I still think their 90's output is still rather good. Out Zone is very nice, as well as Dogyuun, and I'd never call Batsugun critical shit even if it's not my favorite game by any means.
>>
>>5290286
my favourites are twin cobra and batsugun special which are at opposite ends of the spectrum.
>>
>>5290279
They're both games retard.
>>
I love how Toaplan's games have bold visuals, large sprites, and large bullets. They are easy to follow, even if hard. None of this shooter for ants nonsense. That they are aesthetic is just a bonus.
>>
The only reason to buy an FM Towns Marty.
>>
>>5290328
—It seems the art designers understood that stoic, manly feel of Same! Same! Same!.

Yuge: Yeah, I think so. We were always going for that feel, not only in Same!. It was a foundation of our game design. But rather than having the game be very complex on the outside, we thought it would be more fun if the complexity was found within the details of the game.

>>5290334
Port is not 1:1, even if quite close. Main difference is that the FM Towns Marty version is slightly zoomed in, which is actually a big deal.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJLTsq0HVbc
>>
File: 13012601.jpg (224 KB, 850x1105)
224 KB
224 KB JPG
>>5290354
SKULL
FANG
>>
>>5290354
SAVE STATE SQUAD REPRESENT
DEATH TO ALL BOOMERS
>>
>>5290362
>no cute girls or story
Why even bother.
>>
>>5290364
Shmups are a Gen X genre
>>
imagine all the spaceships and planes and shit from toaplan games shooting all the characters from final fantasy dead.
it gives me an erection
>>
>>5290354
Why not both?
>>
>>5290364
Joke's on you, I only play on real PCB's.
>>
>>5290375
Yeah but there's a section of Gen Z kids who LARP as "hardcore gamers" because they got into shmups through touhou and they think they're skilled because they abuse save states.
>>
>>5290382
2hu is like 20 years old at this point. I 'member playing it in 2006
>>
>>5290385
Same here, fuck boomers. Long live save states for practicing.
>>
>>5290390
>fuck convenient things, amirite fellow retards?
>>
>>5290397
>boomers
>convenient things
Boomers are only here to make fun of us, zoomers who actually like practical things (like save states, it's not cheating!)
>>
>>5290382
I am part of the shmups community and this is not accurate at all, there are very few Gen Z guys playing these games. It's mostly millenials and gen X. I'm a millenial and I got into them thanks to my dad, a gen Xer, who was into them at their height of their popularity: in the 80's arcades, when they were the most popular genre there.
The Touhou community is almost completely separated from the rest of the genre, and indeed they're younger on average. But you can't save state in Touhou, which makes your assessment very baffling to say the least.
Also, save states are used as a convenient practice tool to save time, nobody tries to make it seem as if a live savescummed run is valid. I know guys in their 40s who own cabinets who fire up MAME to practice first.
>>
>>5290406
Well spoken, OP.
Save states are perfectly fine, convenient, and obviously devs intended players to use them.
>>
i'm a generation x and i don't think save states are cheating.it is just practise.
now continuing THAT is a cheat
>>
>>5290413
BASED.
Save states is how true skilled gamers play.
Fuck boomers and their original hard
>>
>>5290406
There is no community, shmups are an entirely solitary pursuit. If you want to learn strategy you search the shmups.org strategy board index, the people at /vg/ spend their days making shitposts and impotent threats about liberals and never actually play any games.
>>
>>5290419
Fuck off boomer, save states is how true skilled anti-jarpig Hardcore Gamers play.
>>
>>5290409
Devs didn't intend their use for obvious reasons. But they also didn't intend you play the game at home with your PCB or through MAME.
These days, when playing these games you can either waste more or less time initially learning the game. If you decide not to save state, that's fine, it'll just take more time to know what to do for no real reason.
One very cool thing about save states is that they let you test things in games that would be very impractical to figure out without, such as figuring out how some RNG systems work.
If you dislike playing with save states, fine, however you can't dismiss other players for using them as the great tool they are.
>>
>>5290420
Wait I'm confused which side I'm even supposed to be falseflagging.
>>
File: chadrider.jpg (476 KB, 2814x1294)
476 KB
476 KB JPG
>>
Know what else is fun to savestate in? Jarpigs. I always pop one right before a battle just in case I lose it so I can quickly jump back to the start. Also turning up the framerate to increase text speed is a godsend.
>>
>>5290424
>If you decide not to save state, that's fine, it'll just take more time to know what to do for no real reason.
Or just be naturally skilled, how about that?
>>
>>5290427
Why can't shmup bantz be lighthearted fun like this, you people always seem so mean spirited and angry like a cornered animal.
>>
>>5290430
based jarpig zoomer.
save states are convenient and good, it's how we zoomers learned how to play video games.
Fuck boomers and their original hardware and money. Fuck them ALL!
>>
save stating increases your existing skill quickly. it's like levelling up in those shitty jarpigs you play
>>
>>5290437
So basically save state scumming = jarpig?
Got it.
>>
File: 45344553.jpg (66 KB, 298x360)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>there are people in this very thread, posting right the fuck now, who are actually, unironically defending Save State abuse
>>
>>5290439
And using continues = daughter raising sim visual novels.
>>
>>5290439
and then /shmupg/ was the jarpigs
>>
>>5290448
Why would you continue if you can just load a saved state?
>>
>>5290257
it goes on for way too fucking long. the constant barrage of minibosses doesn't help.

same with its predecessor, actually
>>
>>5290446
Practice is not abuse
>>
File: 1534182057010s.jpg (5 KB, 250x250)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>mfw there are kids who save state and convince themselves that they're skilled players
>>
>>5290419
You can ask for strategy in /shmupg/ and more often than not get very substantiated replies, particularly if the game is from the early 00's or older since, collectively, the regulars there have played a lot of games and know quite a bit about the ones they have played.
No clue where you get that they don't play, a few of the regulars are some of the best western players.
Brainstorming with a community is rather valuable for these games, believe it or not.
Also, the strategy threads in the forum aren't infallible, trust me.

>>5290431
This doesn't work too well for this genre since in many instances you need to figure out how to survive in them, which can't be done blind. Save stating lets you try different approaches and think how to get past a part so for when you actually go play the entire game in one go you can apply your method. If you don't, you'll simply have to re-do the game up till that point every time you want to try a different approach, which is simply a less efficient, slower way to learn the game.

>>5290434
I think there's some falseflagging around.
>>
>>5290451
To not trigger the tlb for one.
THERE ARE NO RULES DO WHATEVER YOU WANT. IF YOU MAKE UP YOUR OWN RULES YOU CAN BE THE WORLD RECORD HOLDER IN THE ONE ARBITRARY CATEGORY ONLY YOU PLAY
>>
File: DlscPVgX0AEfHDx.jpg (139 KB, 900x1200)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>
>>5290453
Sure thing, anon!
>>
>>5290452
It's not for everyone, I love the emphasis on minibosses of these two games.
>>
>>5290457
Shmupg is indefensible. I'm sorry but your community is a shithole, I want nothing to do with them besides doing cheap jabs at them for amusement.
>>
>>5290452
forgot to add that i think the visuals and music are impressive though. some of the best FM i've heard.
>>
File: DuyPhSJW0AEQ7Rm.jpg (63 KB, 539x960)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>5290462
>>
>>5290462
It's fine if you don't like it, but you don't seem to have very solid arguments for disliking it. Perhaps you don't take banter too well.
>>
>>5290462
From an outside perspective they seem like your typical 20-something males full of piss and vinegar. Just don't let the banter get to you, they're just shithead kids. Obviously they're passionate which in my eyes is a good thing
>>
>>5290468
No reason in particular I just want to shit up your threads. It's a more fun short term gratification than grinding for scores that will only give me a short 15 minute serotonin rush.
>>
Burunyanman is still the best shmuck anyway.
>>
>>5290469
The problem with /shmupg/ is that their main banter is that they're "skilled" and that they fight the evil "anti-skill jarpig" /vr/ boogeymen, but as soon as someone mentions save states, they lose their shit for real and start doing absurd mental gymnastics to justify it.
It's kind of funny but sad.
>>
>>5290476
>>5290472
Dude you're always posting here and always butthurt
>>
>>5290463
https://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/truxton-ii-arcade

>>5290469
One of the guys who triggers sensitive people the most is 33

>>5290472
You don't have to play shmups for score. A decent survival challenge is still a lot of fun. Try the first loop of Psikyo games, won't take you more than a few hours on average but they're still a very fun time.
Besides, shmups are about the fun you have while playing them, not the end result. So play them the way you enjoy them the most, if you actually like them.
Did shmup fans pick on you for not playing for score? Don't worry too much.

>>5290476
This savestate thing doesn't hold water, no one thinks using save states in real runs is valid. They're used this way:
Save stating in choke points to learn how to efficiently tackle them.
Then play the entire game without any saves or interruptions. Skill is shown here with your execution.
>>
>>5290480
i fucking love vgmrips, truly an underrated website.
>>
File: 1.jpg (12 KB, 326x184)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>5290479
Calling me out won't make me stop.
>>
Really it's just cee's autism that brings down /shmupg/, the thread would be better without him.

If you see a hotheaded shitposter with british slang and poor spelling here or at /shmupg/, it's almost always him.
>>
>>5290479
Not the same poster, anon, sorry.
>>5290480
>This savestate thing doesn't hold water
The thing is that the banter stops as soon as someone mentions save states. They lose their "banter" mask and start arguing seriously, ruining the fun.
You don't see "dadshits" here getting angry because zoomers tell them that original hardware sucks, but you do see zoomers getting angry because of being accused of casuals due to save sates.
They're not up to the task when it comes to actual banter.
>>
>>5290480
>tRy ThE PsYkYo GaMeS
Why are you always talking like I'm a newfag, I've already played the entire Psykyo catalog including the naomi and mahjong taisen hot gimmick games.
>>
>>5290485
>You don't see "dadshits" here getting angry
You pretend you're cool but I can tell by the non-stop frequency of replies that you're frotting in the mouth. Cee and the Slav in particular are exceedingly easy to trigger into an useless argument for hours.
>>
>>5290485
Iconoclast (/shmupg/ regular who is like 29 or 30) getting a high score in Ketsui Deathtiny recently, which doesn't allow for save states also invalidates your point a lot. No clue why you insist so much with this save state thing and the made up zoomer thing, no shmup player is going to take that seriously.

>>5290489
So what's your issue then if you're aware that you can play them your own way and have fun?
>>
>>5290490
You're projecting, anon.
It's the truth. Every shmup thread here is always the same, people trying to trigger collectors, not a single collector giving a shit, then someone mentions save states and boom, zoomers get mad.
>>
>>5290484
>the thread would be better without him.
so would earth

>>5290485
>You don't see "dadshits" here getting angry because zoomers tell them that original hardware sucks, but you do see zoomers getting angry because of being accused of casuals due to save sates.
anyone who doesn't use save states to replay the same 15 second tricky parts over and over until they can do it in their sleep is too neurotypical to be posting here
>>
>>5290492
>Iconoclast who is a /shmupg/ regular
>no evidence whatsoever
Even if ONE of you play games that doesn't redeem the rest of you of being fucking casuals.
>>
>>5290494
>zoomers into shmups
If only this was true!
>>
>>5290494
Things that never happened.
Go to warosu, right now, find proof and post it here.
>>
>>5290492
>No clue why you insist so much with this save state thing
I'm not insisting, just observing. I'm not the one who started talkig about save states, but I saw how some people reacted to the save state commend.
Good for Iconoclast, he seems like he actually enjoys video games instead of gossip and cross-board shitposting.
>>
>>5290501
This is another notorious regular who's like 34 or 35 and is quite good, here are some live stream by him
https://www.twitch.tv/kbt1945/videos
>>
save states are legit and not cheating
>>
which is harder tho bros?
fire shark or tatsujin ou
they are both notably harder than the rest of the toaplan catalogue
>>
>>5290519
Depends, are we talking save states-allowed or not?
>>
>>5290526
toaplan players don't really save state. thats more for cavedrones newfag
>>
>>5290519
Tatsujin Ou edges out Same Same Same 1P Ver by a bit in my experience. The former has the challenge of adjusting to extreme speeds, the latter has harsher recovery and the hard dodging of undesired powerups. The fact that the loop is like 25% longer makes the difference. They are indeed the two hardest ones by a wide margin, that's for sure.

>>5290526
This doesn't impact the final execution requirements.

>>5290532
Wrong, I know a guy in his 40s who can multiloop OutZone in a real machine who has also used MAME to learn.
>>
>Also known as Tatsujin Oh (Japanese: 達人王 Hepburn: Tatsujin Ō) lit. "Expert King" in Japan.
>"Expert King"

Well shit.
>>
>>5290332
Yep, more fun grinding rats until you can insta kill the boss your stuck on.
>>
>>5290601
In the Japanese wiki that ranks the difficulty of these games, this game was ranked tied with Mushihimesama Ultra.
>>
>>5290257
Played and finished loop 1 in 2003 on original hardware. Can't be arsed to torture myself any further.
>>
>>5290375
So the right games for me. Step aside kiddo.
>>
>>5290328

I was gonna comment on the cool use of color and especially the rich backgrounds before I saw this post. It's not Neo Geo level but it's a pleasure to look at.
>>
>>5290660
Clear or credit feeding? Even credit feeding this is still harder than most games out there, even ones considered hard. But it still manages to be very fun, to me at least. Shame that it didn't click with you. Perhaps you should give it another try, it's been over 15 years after all, perspectives can change in such a time period.

>>5290668
This board is still quite advanced, it was also use for stuff like Battle Garegga and the other Raizing YGW games later. Garegga is easily more impressive than say Metal Slug for 1996 if you consider the much better performance.
>>
>>5290685
1CC
Any skill is probably gone now.
>>
>>5290715
Unless you've stopped playing skill-based games for many years I think you could catch up relatively quickly. And if anything it'd be just to see if you still feel the same about the game.
How many hours did it take you? With or without save states? Also, did this game have sound back then in MAME? I don't remember.
>>
>>5290375
but I’m 19
>>
>>5290730
There are always outliers. The global height of popularity of these games was between the arcade boom of the late 70's, through the 80's and until the start of the fighting game craze in the early 90's. In other words, they were the most popular video game genre in arcades for many years, since pretty much the beginning until that other genre took over. Ever since they've been a niche genre in pretty much all countries except for Japan (they kept relatively strong there for a couple of decades more), with even made for console shmups becoming exceedingly rare after the 4th generation due to the global shift in games that happened in the 90's from skill-based games to other kinds of gaming which would lead to the modern landscape of the medium.
If we go by dates, the people that were kids / young when these games were at its most popular are gen Xers. The millenial generation is more defined by titles such as FFVII and Pokémon in the late 90's, we can safely say then that this board is mostly populated by millenials which shouldn't surprise anybody.

What lead you to these games btw? I'm always interested in these cases.
>>
>>5290480
>that stage 1 music
Damnit, you're making me wanna try this game again
>>
File: yay.jpg (51 KB, 225x350)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>5290753
they are badass and feel fucking amazing. I try and play just about everything but have always been most interested in retro shit and niche genres like shmups and beat em ups. even as like a 10 year old I was doing my research. I remember being like 12 and thinking there was no way I'd ever be able to play games like Dodonpachi but wished that I could so I mostly stuck to a lot of shitty indie shmups and things like that (as well classic releases, some cheap snes games, stuff like that.) I just got around to picking up a jap Saturn so I'm super hyped to dive deeper. waiting on my copy of layer section to come in as we speak :]
>>
>>5290723
>skill based
You mean memory based, right?
>>
>>5290723
It was on a real PCB, played with a supergun/MAK.
About a week of training.
I haven't played much shmups since 2008
>>
>>5290802
Save state-based.
>>
>>5290802
Memory is a skill, but most older shooters don't have set patterns. The enemies actually shoot at you.
>>
>>5290790
That's the point of this thread. This board is in dire need of pushing some lesser known games that are worthwhile, as well as their discussion. Hope you do and have fun with it.

>>5290795
I see, the type who likes to educate himself in the history of the medium to pick games that are truly to your liking regardless of how old they are, rather than limiting yourself to whatever's being shoved down your throat. Respect. Hope you keep getting better and enjoying these years down the line.

>>5290802
Memorization + Execution. The games are built to be memorized and then to test your execution skills. Their whole fun derives from the fact that, even after knowing all their tricks, they remain fun to replay due to their demanding execution. This is the magic of arcade gaming. Meanwhile, other games tend to be more shallow, since they become too boring to replay (if you do replay them for the game / skill aspect and not stuff like story) the more you know about them.

>>5290805
A week without save state practice? That's amazing if real. What have you moved on to?
>>
>>5290810
>A week without save state practice? That's amazing if real.
Imagine being amazed at not using save states.
>>
>>5290753
Different anon here, 22yo. I remember at around 2009 I saw a video titled "HARDEST BOSS EVER" or something like that (It wasn't until much later that I found out that it was the final boss of Futari), and then in the suggestions side I discovered a video showing the extra stage of IN, which introduced me to Touhou and revived my interest in shmups. But before that I played stuff like Asteroids and Space Invaders (the 90's 3D remakes of those games) and enjoyed those. I think I recall playing a flash version of Raiden titled Raiden X and enjoyed that one as well. But I think the first shmups I played were Tiger Heli on NES, a clone of Millipede on DOS, and Yars' Revenge (via atari flashback 2).
>>
>>5290810
family/work...also, some people in the community gave me a hard time.
>>
>>5290816
I'm not amazed at that but rather at the fact that he was able to beat this game in particular that quickly without the aid of save state practice. That's quite the feat.
Try playing it if you haven't and you'll understand.

>>5290817
Oh yeah the infamous Mushi Futari Ultra final boss video. That's actually not clickbaity, it's up there as one of the hardest bosses ever.
>revived
So you were interested in them before? Interesting.
Yeah many gen Z or close to that got into these due to Touhou.
>>
>>5290834
So you don't play games anymore? For over 10 years? Are you here for some nostalgic discussion?
>>
>>5290841
Of course I play games, but not with enough devotion and training to reach my old proficiency. That and my reflexes are getting bad.
>>
>>5290857
What do you play then. It's understandable to play less, family is important.
>>
File: myman.png (45 KB, 500x350)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>5290837
>second guy you replied to
now that I think about it, I wasn't really THAT interested in shmups until I saw those two videos, but it's weird because I tend to favor some of the older shmups these days (ie not bullet-hell, with the exception being DoDonPachi).
As of late I've been trying to beat some of Irem's shmups, mainly R-type and Image Fight, at least whenever I feel like playing shmups which sadly isn't often anymore.

>>5290795
>Layer Section
pic related
I also recommend Darius Gaiden, that got a good Saturn port and it's relatively cheap.
>>
>>5290875
Good luck, Penalty Area in Image Fight is actually insane if you decide to go for that.
How come you don't feel like playing these as often lately?
>>
What do y'all think of Einhander
>>
>>5290863
Casual garbage mostly lol and more modern stuff on PC, but I plan to get back into arcade eventually. I'm ogling an Egret II near my location right now.
>>
>>5290875
>R-type
I used to hate memorizers like R-Type, but then I got it on my phone and started goofing around with it at work, and quickly got hooked on solving each "challenge". One week later I was 1CC:ing the arcade version and has been singing that game's praises ever since.
>>
>>5290884
I guess it's just because of lack of devotion, similar to >>5290857
At least I have both games on my PSP (via R-types and that Image Fight/X-Multiply combo) so I can practice them whenever I feel like it.
also cause playing competitive Melee with friends is more fun to me than anything video game related these days
>>
>>5290898
Nice

>>5290908
Try the game in the OP (or the first one), or games by Psikyo if you haven't already. These are all fun and heavy on the memorization, though Irem's approach is unique as it's rewards pure memorization even more, but still, if you don't mind dealing with some aimed patterns go for them. If you've already played these, well, this was just in case.

>>5290917
Oh yeah I can totally see how focusing on a versus game you enjoy can take your gaming time and motivation quite substantially.
I used to play versus games more but these days it's the opposite, I prefer single player skill-based games. I can enjoy them at my pace, whenever I feel like it.
>>
>>5290875
yeah I'm def considering Darius Gaiden. I have a copy of G Darius but it plays really choppy and shit. I haven't tried it out in a while so I'm not sure if it's just slowdown or the disc is scratched or something but Saturn never seems to have that problem for me compared to PS1
>>
>>5290934
G-Darius has slowdown on PS1, it plays better on MAME. The soundtrack actually plays there these days, though you need a relatively powerful computer to run it. You can also run it with an older version of MAME without soundtracks (but still sound effects) that has lower requirements. PS2 version is apparently close, but no clue about input lag or whatever.

Darius Gaiden is a game that's definitely worth it, though be warned, it can get too easy with autofire.
>>
DEFEND SHMUPS
https://streamable.com/jt2gh
>>
>>5290431
>naturally skilled
What's with you retards not understanding basic terms? The word you're looking for is TALENT, skill is something obtained through practice, it's not in any way natural
>>
>>5290908
>>5290923
Seconding the Psikyo recommendation, especially their harder games like Sengoku Blade, Gunbird 2 and Dragon Blaze if you don't play second loops. The boss patterns are a joy to figure out, and there's so many of them. Execution is tight though be warned, but there's very little to no RNG in their first loops.
>>
>>5290257
What even happened to classic game room, just seemed to fall off of youtube
>>
>>5290380
because im a healthy male.
>>
>>5290446
then you better go talk to the wr japs, they all use mame for practice as FUFUFU stated at stunfest.

i suppose you think musicians who practice bits of tunes before performing the whole thing are "cheating" to? fucking retard.
>>
>>5291137
naturally skilled is a perfectly legitimate and sensible term, learn the fucking language you thick gape.
>>
>>5291558
If youre a retard sure the whole talent vs skill distinction exists because one is natural the other is not
>>
>>5290480
>vgmrips
Holy shit, how come i didn't know about this site before? Thanks, good anon.
>>
>>5291137
i never got much into shmups, i just get my ass handed to me when i play them, i think i'm not naturally skil- i don't have the talent. i'm just talentless at shmups. i'm a talentless hack.
>>
>>5291654
So you expected to be good without practice, realized you cant be and got discouraged immediately. Low IQ could be considered a lack of talent I guess
>>
>>5291570
binary mind can understand nuance, you're a fucking plank, it's and black and white.. some can achieve skill quicker because they have a gift ie talent and some have to work much harder to get the same skill because they didn't have natural talent, why the fuck is this even needing to be explained to you? Someone who has natural talent will realize this how? oh thats right by displaying skill! thus he is naturally skilled.

you fucking plum nog cunt.
>>
>>5291669
I just prefer games that engage the mind more than the reflexes... SGTs all seem the same
>>
File: 000001391.jpg (90 KB, 640x480)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>5290939
>Darius Gaiden is a game that's definitely worth it, though be warned, it can get too easy with autofire.
I mean, without autofire you'll be shooting at those bosses 10 minutes each...

Man I wish the game was easy so I could properly explore all the routes. I think I've only beaten 2 of the game's 7 final bosses.

Absolutely great an psychadelic game nonetheless.
>>
>>5291703
Then play Dimahoo for score, see if you can wrap your mind around that.
>>
>>5291552
Gay
>>
File: EZ.png (45 KB, 616x622)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>5291520
He moved to Amazon with a pay wall.

>>5291639
You're welcome. Hilariously, I'm actually disliked by many on this board to the point it's an achievement this thread is still up lmao

>>5291654
>>5291703
Getting started with easy ones (because there are shmups like that, check my pic) is a good idea to start building up your fundamental transferable skills, and you also have to stick to the same game for long enough due to the memorization heavy nature of the genre. Even the best players are going to die the first times in even moderately difficuly shmups.
STGs are not really about reflexes, with some exceptions. They are about figuring out a route to victory and then executing it in real time.

>>5291708
And with autofire you'll skip many of their patterns. IMO the game was not designed for it. But you can play either way, whichever you enjoy the most.
You can credit feed first to see what each route has to offer I suppose.
>>
>>5291708
Gaiden has at least rank control, so you are stuck with tier 1 weapons even if you use autofire hacks.
>>
>>5290446
WTN -one of the very best players that ever existed and current WR holder of OP pic among others- himself uses save srates

This type of post just show or some people are clueless about the scene
>>
*state

Fucking phone
>>
>>5292071
>>5292079
Shmups and arcade games in general really do suffer from being misunderstood.
>>
*how not or

Damn
>>
>>5291856
i don't want to tell you how much time i've spent on some of those games without 1ccing
>>
>>5292103
It's normal to get stuck on a hard shmup if you're inexperienced.
If you can't beat the ones in that pic within a few days... I don't know what to tell you, I've witnessed complete noobs to the genre beat them within the first day of trying them.
>>
wtf is the savestate meme about? I never heard of people whining about savestates in context of practice before, why is it being forced now?
>>
>>5292513
Probably some people desperate to shit on the shmups community for some stupid reason with no real argument, clinging on to this vehemently
>>
>>5292513
it's dadshits who can't let go of their old time playing on the arcades, where they didn't have the benefit of save stating for practice.
as always, dadshits are jealous of our superior ways of playing skill-based video games using save states.
>>
>>5292529
True dads who still actually play appreciate what MAME has to offer a lot. This is just people that don't play these games.
>>
>>5292525
>>5292529
>>5292534
I wonder how'd they meme around the fact that pretty much every post-retro stg has practice mode. Do retards actually think spending more time to achieve same results (in practice) makes them somehow more legit?
>>
>>5292513
Save states were always frowned upon, no matter the context.
After that, you can make all the mental gymnastics you want but this isn't a new thing.
>>
>>5292534
MAME is good for sure, but I hate playing games at my computer desk. I like to sit on my couch, crack open a beer, turn on my CRT and play games on real consoles.
>>
>>5292553
practice mode =/= save stating
also you said it yourself, post-retro.
>>
Savestates ARE cheating, and you're a fraud for using them, whether it's just practice or not.
>>
>>5292560
b-but anon, I'm a true skilled hardcore gamer! Even if I use save states!
>>
>>5292554
>>5292559
>>5292560
literally never saw or heard anyone frowning upon the way they practice for 1CC/score/survival. I have no idea what kind of sawdust you are smoking, but it may actually be fucking with your brains too much.
>>
>>5292513
Because it makes it a million times easier to autistically memorize everything. Don't expect me to think your 1cc or hi score is impressive if you do it on an emulator. Literally anyone can do it that way provided they have enough persistence.
>>
>>5292580
same thing can be said about credit feeding, you mongoloid. Your results aren't more legit just because you have special needs.
>>
>>5292583
So don't credit feed or use savestates.
>>
>>5292579
>all that exaggerated reaction because of the simple fact that save stating is, in fact, cheating
Use save states all you want anon, at the end of the day, nobody gives a shit. Just don't try to excuse the use of save states as anything but cheating.
>>
>>5292554
>>5292560
>>5292572
Save states are only frowned upon when used to supposedly beat a game with them i.e. savescumming, which isn't even needed in most shmups because continuing is even better if you take that route. Using them in practice sessions is however an efficient tool.

>>5292556
You can play like that with MAME too.

>>5292579
Just desperation to shit on this community. Like some retarded vendetta.

>>5292580
Anyone can do the same without save states too, it'll just take more time to get the same result
>>
>good at avoiding pink dots
>shit at avoiding bait
>>
>>5292585
But that'd take actual skill.
Ouch.
>>
>>5292591
>good at avoiding pink dots
By "practicing" using save states!
>>
>>5292589
>You can play like that with MAME too.
Hopefully I'll be able to get that setup going this year...
>>
>>5292585
>>5292586
>>5292598
There's no real reason to not use the practice tools at your disposal to learn more efficiently.
The main fun of these games comes from executing your routes, with save states you just figure them out faster.
Then there's the whole replay copy monkey thing... lmao

>>5292595
Not really, I've played with and without and it just takes more time for no reason.

>>5292602
Good luck with that
>>
>>5292604
>Not really, I've played with and without and it just takes more time for no reason.
That's because you're not skilled enough. Never thought about it that way?
There are people who are able to 1cc games on first try without memorizing, just good reaction time and knowing how to read games quickly.
Not everyone needs save states. I mean, in the golden era of shmups, save states didn't even exist. Think about it that way.
>>
>>5292585
>>5292595
so, every time you have problem with a particular situation, you replay the whole run up to the point?
>>5292591
>merely pretending xD

yeah, I think I understand now, you're going for the screaming monkey routine. Please proceed, you're just as retarded as I suspected.

>>5292604
best to ignore them, I think. They can't justify their shitty meme, and it's unlikely they'll come up with anything more embarrasing they already have.
>>
>>5292608
>so, every time you have problem with a particular situation, you replay the whole run up to the point?
Or how about actually being good and not having the problem in the first place?
>>
>>5292608
>so, every time you have problem with a particular situation, you replay the whole run up to the point?
That's how I got my 1CC's in Castlevania and Shinobi III
>>
>>5292608
>and it's unlikely they'll come up with anything more embarrasing they already have.
Well, using save states and pretending it's not cheating is embarrasing enough.
Also, nobody is really condemning save states, use them if you want. Just don't pretend to be skilled, is all.
>>
>>5292606
>>5292609
I take back what I said, this angle is even more retarded than cheating one. I give 3/10 for subverting my expectations. Low effort, but here's your participation award.
>>
>>5292620
Dude, just use your god damned save states, nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>5292626
you just did, retard
>>
>>5292606
Absolutely no, that only applies for the easiest of them all like the first loop of Batsugun Special Version, most shmups feature parts that require memorization to survive. But not just easy memorization in many cases, we're talking figuring out choke points like a puzzle. Not even the best players in the world can survive even moderate shmups blind. For instance, you simply can't beat Psikyo's games, not even the first loop without memorization. The patterns are simply too fast and you don't have enough resources to panic bomb through it all.
Check the later stages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_qBGkZFyks
You don't NEED save states but they make practice sessions way shorter. Let's put it this way:
You're learning a new game. You get to a part where you die, then figure it out after a couple of tries. Now you know what to do there from now on. Now you die at a later part and have to learn that one, but each attempt means repeating the game until that point (a section that you already figured out), and this becomes less and less efficient the further you get into the game. If you do a quick save state practice session to learn the choke points, then you can start playing the entire game in one go much faster. It didn't take more skill, just more time to get to this same point.

>>5292612
Those games are way (WAY) easier than the average shmup 1CC (though still rather fun IMO)

>>5292613
Check this breathtaking live event. Is what this guy is able to do less impressive for having practiced with save states?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNbanVu6DE
>>
>>5292631
I don't and never will.
Though I agree with the anons that say save states are, obviously, cheating. But I legit don't give a flying shit if you use them or not (if you're a cheater or not)
>>
>>5292635
applies to*
>>
>>5292640
>efficient practice is cheating
please write more about how you don't care, I await eagerly for more embarrasing retardation
>>
File: 1526869996040.png (580 KB, 500x500)
580 KB
580 KB PNG
The absolute STATE of /shmuckg/

>needs savescum """"practice"""" to be good at their games
>their best player is a nobody who only got the hi score in a shmuck because he played the PS4 version of it that neither Japs or Westerners care about it

Nobody is impressed by your shitters.
>>
File: dogfucking.jpg (341 KB, 1536x2048)
341 KB
341 KB JPG
>>5292664
>>
>>5292652
Want me to say it again? Okay: I don't care.
You, however, seem to really get angry at the fact that save state is, in fact, cheating.
But so what? Be a cheater. Don't expect people to congratulate you for using save states.
>>
>>5292676
Your bumps are appreciated lmao
>>
>>5292676
please say it 4th time, I think you could care less
holy kek
m8, you're like broken record by this point. Hint: be less obvious, or go full retard, but your heart must be in it if you want more fish to bite
>>
>>5292686
>>5292689
but bros, nobody is saying you can't use save states, use them.
Just don't pretend to be skilled. It's not that hard to understand.
>>
>>5292702
Check this breathtaking live event. Is what this guy is able to do less impressive for having practiced with save states?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRNbanVu6DE
>>
using save state world records get beaten
don't care if vr jarpigs say it's cheating
>>
>>5292704
Depends, did he copymonkey stuff as well?
But yeah using save states takes off skill points, obviously.
You can't compare the skill of someone who actually 1cc'd arcades back in the day to some zoomer who autistically repeats the same part for hours loading states.
>>
File: 1527168808489.jpg (76 KB, 684x546)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>5292702
Bro, we're super skilled. You don't understand. Our best player got the hi score in a port of a game nobody gives a fuck about!
>>
>>5292702
if your approach is as varied as your trolling, I doubt you possess any skill lmao
>>
>>5292719
>trolling
He's telling the truth though.
Use save states? Then don't pretend you have any skill on games. Maybe find a different hobby.

>>
>>5292715
What matters is the end result, believe me, what you see in that video is absolutely incredible. Remember, it's not a replay, it's live. And it's not just surviving, but scoring. With no resets. Those execution skills are incredible and no matter what method was necessary to achieve that it's still as impressive.
>>
>>5292728
no matter what method was used to achieve that*
not really necessary, some methods are slower than others but not really better
>>
>>5292724
>on games
ESLcucks please go.
>>
>>5292731
At least I can communicate in your shitty anglo language, EOP.
If I could save state, I could load a state and just write "in", lel.
>>
jarpigs use savestates the most lel
none of you have ever actually cleared your fagotty menu elf simulations and are all cheats
>>
>>5292724
lol
>>5292728
m8 you don't understand, he didn't practice "legitimately", he's a dirty cheater. Have you never heard? If you refuse to LARP that you're at arcade cabinet every moment of your practice, you didn't learn jack shit, and all your progress is null and void.
>>
>>5292738
>jarpig boogeyman
jarpig fans are scum, but you poser shmup save state users aren't any better.
>>
>>5292745
Do you play shmups?
>>
>>5292750
he's probably a nintendofag that uses the konami code to finish gradius and contra
>>
File: afterburner.gif (717 KB, 435x500)
717 KB
717 KB GIF
Next time you load a state, you will remember how much of a spineless cheater you are.
>>
>>5292753
>nintendo boogeyman
Yes anon, anyone who reminds you that save state is cheating is a boogeyman.
>>
>>5292759
>save stating boogeyman
>>
>>5292765
That's not a boogeyman, you yourself are confirming that you use save states by getting angry when people point out it's cheating.
>>
So, why is the Toaplan logo a C?
>>
>>5292801
No idea but that's not really a C
>>
>>5292739
>he didn't practice "legitimately"
BOS used the practice mode in the ps2 port, you fucking thick cunt.
>>
>>5292827
he didn't start whole game from the start each time he got hit, what a scrub. He should've been able to finish it on first attempt like I did anyway. No, I am not going to post any proofs, suck it talentless cheaters xD
>>
>>5292840
I would lmfao if any resident jarpig said he managed to get past 1-5 in Dragon Blaze blind
>>
*loads state*
Ah, I'm so skilled.
>>
>>5292857
Why do you think anyone who makes fun of save state use is a "jarpig"?
We can make fun of both jarpigs and save state-abusing shmcucks, you know.
>>
>>5292887
wot games you play? i want to make fun of your SHITE taste cos you are obviously a mouthbreather
>>
>>5292891
I play skill-based, using save-states to practice.
>>
>>5292917
>oh no, people are calling me out on my "hardcore gamer" facade, I better spend 10 minutes quoting them all and write "seething" on all caps to feel better about my scrub ways
>>
>>5292919
Your anti-skill rethoric is too transparent and funny, you're not fooling anyone and the only thing you're achieving is bumping this thread about a genre you dislike.
To see your impact, this thread is actually a repeat of an old one I made, and check how many replies it got before disappearing beyond page 10:
https://warosu.org/vr/thread/S4854846
>>
>>5292936
>calling out save state-abusing children = not liking the entire shmup genre
Your mental gymnastics keep getting funnier and funnier.
>>
>>5292962
So what do you play
>>
>>5292962
at least 90% of every official WR in arcadia was done by players who use save states to practice, wot do?

you're a shit troll and a boring no skill faggot cunt, i hope your cunt mother get the joy of watching her genetic curd faggot shite son die
>>
>>5292965
cRPGs, using save states.
>>
>>5292990
Checks out
>>
>>5292986
>claims other people are no skill
>defends save state abusing
huh
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>5292998
LOOK MOM I SAID IT AGAIN HAHAHAH

LE EBIN TRUL
>>
>>5292986
And that's why no one respects or cares about zoomer arcade players.
>>
>>5293009
do you even know what arcadia is? most wr holders are in 30's and 40's
>>
>>5293008
It's not trolling.
Nobody is forbidding you from using save states if you want. The thing is, if you act all hardcore gamer, calling people "no skill", then you can't defend save state abusing. It's nonsense.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (111 KB, 334x506)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>
File: DfFZBvoW4AA0S5h.jpg (35 KB, 616x618)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>5293013
>do you even know what arcadia is?
>>
>>5292917
replying to more than 4 posts should be a bannable offense
>>
>>5293018
>frogposting
>danmaku
Truly the epitome of /shmupgck/, there should also be a save state mark somewhere in the picture for it to be 100% accurate.
>>
File: 1446210624302.png (493 KB, 930x528)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
>>5293013
>old boomer shitters with slow reflexes can get WRs through savescumming

You will never see the same happening in other genres that actually take skill.
>>
Dedicate your life to shitting on the shmups community
>>
>>5293017
save states are for practice not for final runs obviously you burke fuck, it's called efficient practice ie the same thing EVERY musician does practicing bits they find troublesome before putting it all together in the final performance.

>>5293027
most of those guys started the grind for those records 10-25 years ago... nothing out there is anywhere near the life long dedication the wr players put in. speedrunning is fucking childs play in comparison.
>>
>>5293038
>ie the same thing EVERY musician does practicing bits they find troublesome before putting it all together in the final performance.
Not the same at all. A musician doesn't have to resort to cheats when he practices his instrument. God you're fucking stupid.
>>
File: retard.jpg (210 KB, 2000x1000)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>5293048
>>
>>5293048
How do you feel about practice modes then? Or are they ok because DEV INTENT? lol
>>
>>5290257
Back in the day I always played this coop, the slowdown is very massive so we can play this all day with just one coin. Didn't know if it's going sanic mode in one player mode.
>>
>>5293268
I've never played this co-op, is that slowdown on PCB / MAME? Interesting.
>>
>>5293048
Not him but wut
That's a perfect analogy, anon. If a guitar player wants to learn the solo to Stairway to Heaven, it makes no sense to the play the entire song from start to finish every time. You woodshed the section that's giving you trouble so that when the time comes to perform, you can play the whole thing through as close to flawlessly as possible. Save states are a time efficient way to PRACTICE, period.

Like another anon even said, shmups often have practice modes where you can start at a level or boss. Save states are merely an extension of that clear developer intent.
>>
>>5293305
Youre mostly right but savestates arent the extension of dev intent or whatever, their existence changes dev intent because developers see how useful they are and want to give viable alternatives for the players. Developer intent isnt static it changes based on player demands and the hardware they are working it. Besides holding dev intent to be sacred is stupid, you can use it as info to inform your playstyle trusting that devs know what will be fun for you but its not a strict rule.
>>
>>5293305
Imagine learning (yes, learning, because reacting to that...) the infamous fall before the final boss in Ninja Spirit. That alone must have took many quarters back then.
Now you can choose to learn like this or save you a lot of time with save states for the same eventual result in a real run.
>>
>claims to be skilled
>but uses save states
>>
File: ab8.jpg (38 KB, 425x283)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>5293435
This guy is STILL going
>>
Using save states is perfectly fine.
Just don't try to pass as a legit player if you use them.
>>
File: OBSESSED.jpg (23 KB, 375x500)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>5293450
>>
Stop trying to make people feel bad for using save states.
>>
>>5293471
Stop sucking so much ass.
>>
Can anti-savestate-kun prove he had any good scores back in the days of pre-MAME arcades? If not, shut up and quit shitposting STG threads.
>>
Omg so many replies since my post about WTN last night, what a shitstorm of pure actual S E E T H

Clueless people as I said
>>
>>5292071
>WTN -one of the very best players that ever existed and current WR holder of OP pic among others- himself uses save srates
where's the proof
>>
>...but call him a save state cheater and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: "I've been found out."
>>
You can play games in any way you want. Good for you if you have fun.
It's not like you get swatted by the anti-cheat police.

Not yet.
>>
>>5293546
Realistically speaking, how could someone post actual proof of some score or 1cc on arcades back in the 80s/90s? Only way would be having a picture (maybe) or video (unlikely).
>>
>>5294905
witnesses and/or taping the whole thing. everything else was wasted time.
>>
>>5292560
who the fuck still uses savestates? Rewind is godlike for shmups.
>>
>>5294921
Who needs this shit?
>>
>>5294921
And just when we thought casuals couldn't get any worse...
>>
File: rsgun.webm (2.77 MB, 671x480)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB WEBM
>>5294927
>>5294934
stay mad plebs
>>
>>5294990
don't try to explain shit to these dadshits.
they think that if you aren't playing on the original PCB then you arent legitimately beating the game.
fuck them and fuck dadshits
long live mame and save states
>>
>>5295040
but dont they all have mame bartops they made but never use?
>>
>>5295040
I know right, fuck actually playing and learning these games, rather just buy the cabs and let them sit around collecting dust.

Dadshit master race, now and forever.
>>
>>5294990
This is something a little kid would use. Where is the fun when you can't fail?
>>
>>5295061
it's a tool.
>>
>>5294990
>>5295040
Unbelievable.
>>
>MAME
>collecting
>not playing console shmups with cheats, then coming to 4channel.com to call everyone casual anyway
I pity the lot of you
>>
>>5295065
For what exactly?
>>
>>5295072
practicing? Just like racing games let you use rewind to practice a turn for an hour now you can practice 5 seconds of a shooter for an hour.
>>
>>5295075
I shouldn't say now obviously. save states have been around for ages.
>>
>>5294990
Oh dear, the only pleb is you. Excuse me while I play RSG on my Titan board in front of my comfy cabinet, the way arcades are meant to be experienced.
I pity s 0 y fed basement dwellers like you.
>>
>>5295092
thats the superior saturn version
>>
>>5290257
Looks like every other shmup ever. Pass.
>>
>>5295097
Isn't superior. Saturn mode throws off the original balancing.
>>
File: ifonlyyouknew.jpg (12 KB, 250x242)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>Shmup thread
>90% shitposting about some irrelevant shit
>>
>>5295105
You'd be wrong. The way it's designed around moving extremely fast, even for survival, is almost, if not unique to this series. That coupled with its emphasis on unusual level design with many midbosses and crazy setpieces makes for a shmup like no other. It also mixes the classic Toaplan design that goes all out with stuff even from behind with heavier memorization elements than usual. Red weapon is pretty nuts and fun to play with, too.
Though I may have wasted my time writing since comments like yours are usually, if not always made by people who have never really played one of these. Only those ignorant on the genre thinks the games are too samey in a bad way.
>>
File: 015.png (55 KB, 434x327)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>5295105
>>
>>5295118
my time writing this*
ignorant on the genre think*
>>
>>5295118
I've played a couple of them, then I stopped because once you've played one you've played them all.
>>
>>5295125
Your opinion is invalid, Zoomshit
>>
>>5295116
No, it's just balanced around a longer game, so it takes longer to power up your ship from scoring.
>>
By the way, if you enjoy watching people struggling with shmups, I streamed my friend who's not good at them earlier today (playing Strikers 1999):
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/363431721

>>5295125
Which ones have you played and to what extent?
The genre is way more diverse than what it may initially seem. Hell, even less knowledgeable people know about bullet hells and how different they are from 80's shooters, and that's just scratching the surface.
>>
>>5295125
if this was true then why does every top player have to start the learning process allover again with every game? you're just no skill dumb shit so of course they're all the same when your level is just wiggle and shoot randomly.
>>
>>5296702
>if this was true then why does every top player have to start the learning process allover again with every game?
Because they don't? The skills largely transfer and they have a much easier time than a beginner would
>>
>>5296783
>Because they don't?
lmfao they fucking do, SPS was a pro when he started on ketsui and proceeded to spend 7 years getting to wr he then moved to DOJ WL b-type and has been at it ever since like 4 years or something.

I love how you shift it into something else at the end fucking idiot, yes an EASIER time than a beginner but not some magic ticket to an immediate 2-all or WR which always takes weeks/months for the first and years for the latter unless the game is new or hasn't been looked at much.

as always you are clueless as cunt
>>
>>5296810
>not some magic ticket to an immediate 2-all or WR
moving the goal posts, can't read... jfc these games really are for paste eaters
>>
>>5296783
The very basics yes but that's true for every genre
>>
>>5296831
no YOU moved the goal posts, fucking disingenuous worm cunt.
>>
This thread gave me cancer.
>>
>>5299051
How so? Thanks for the bump btw it was about to die.
>>
Why are the most fun shot types gated in Gradius V, it's bullshit I just want to have fun
>>
>>5295140
I would never introduce someone to the genre with a Psikyo game unless if it's co-op
>>
>>5299085
Excessive pandering to progressfags. Still, be careful, that game isn't legal on /vr/.

>>5299090
Sengoku Ace's first loop is not hard really and it teaches the noobie about the memorization aspect of these games in a very obvious manner.
Regarding my friend, it's a special case, believe me. We've known each other since we were kids and, even though he's very bad at video games, his favorites are old school challenging ones. He enjoys sucking at them, even if he never improves, and respects people who also play harder games but are better than him. I wish more people bad at games were like him, rather than always settling for the easiest stuff out there and insulting those who prefer the harder stuff.
>>
save state is not cheating!
>>
>>5299551
you are right!
>>
>>5299551
DELUSIONAL
>>
>>5299728
fuck you dadshit, dsave states are completely legal and fine. fuck you and your days.
>>
File: yu_fagoto.jpg (60 KB, 900x900)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>5299741
Fuck you and your non-existent skill Zoomshit
>>
>>5299745
Fuck you, save stating only forges my skill!
Fucking jap!
>>
>>5299746
You will never ever reach Japanese skill levels and you subconsciously know it.
>>
>>5299763
Fuck you, I'm super skilled because I'm young and I have extra tools to help my skill, like save states.
Suck it boome!
>>
File: e9d.jpg (18 KB, 600x600)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>5299767
>>
>>5299767
>I'm super skilled because I'm young
This is funny bait. I liked it!
>>
>>5290257
I played it a bit, just seemed like an expansion pack for the first one. It didn't seem different enough for a sequal.
>>
>>5299816
It's (much) harder and longer, weapons do play quite differently (except red in 1 and green in 2 which are similar to each other), and this one is not designed around tapping which is quite ahead of its time. Otherwise, yes, it's a game in a similar style but with new levels and bosses. But it's a sequel, so that's to be expected.
>>
>>5299831
Forgot to mention that this one allows for co-op play while the original didn't.
>>
>>5299831
Are you here 24/7?
>>
>>5299835
Not really, but when I am I do have the thread in a tab auto-refreshing.
>>
>>5299767
>falseflagging boomer is buttmad because kids are better at games than him and have access to convenient tools now that help them learn games quicker
lmao
>>
>>5300316
I'm better than you, believe me.
>>
>>5300316
Paranoia much?
>>
>>5300316
Instead of being glad younger people are interested in these games and play them (which, in turn, may lead to more of these getting made), this for some reason bothers him. However, he isn't even right; most of these pro-save state guys are other boomers who don't consider newer, more convenient learning tools as a cheat.

>>5300328
When are you streaming?
>>
>>5300332
save state IS cheating.
But there's nothing wrong in cheating, so long as you don't try to pass as an actual skilled player.
>>
>>5300338
Can we see you play? Show us how it's done.
>>
>>5300340
Find a time machine to 1988, you can find me in some actual arcade center where save states weren't even a thing.
>>
>>5300316
You didn't get your scores in the '80s or '90s, so your scores literally don't matter, zoomer.
>>
>>5300346
Just play right now, you've never used save states, right? So let's see how skilled you are, should be fun.
>>
>>5300359
I actually used save states. But not to """"practice"""", I have used them when I'm playing something and need to leave, like a quick save, you know? It's still kind of cheating, but not as low as having save states to play a certain part over and over like "skilled" players do.
>>
>>5300362
Yeah but seeing you play would be awesome after seeing posts like these >>5300328
>>
If you got gud at a game by abusing savestates, just know that what you acquired is fake skill and you should be ashamed of it.
>>
>>5300332
Streaming? Do I look like a Zoomshit?
>>
>>5300405
What about someone who gets good at a game with MAME-without using save states or other tricks-and then demolishes the arcade version? Does a guy have to spend all the money too in order to be legit? Seems petty if that's so.
>>
>>5300412
So recording and uploading a replay of yours? Perhaps you already have some replay you could share with us.
Any shmup.
>>
>>5300405
You saying that is how I feel about people "beating Ninja Gaiden" on the NES with an emulator and see nothing wrong with save states to avoid having to repeat stages after being sent back from a loss. Now that is fake skill because a real cart wears you down along with everything else, but as for arcade games, I don't think spending more money makes anyone hardcore.
>>
>>5300381
That wasn't me.
Anyway, you should really try time traveling to the 80s if you want to see actual skilled players who didn't rely on cheats. Or just go to Japan I guess.
>>
Stop moving goal posts constantly. Your neck's in the noose. You are intervening with the normal flow/function of a game. Save states may be convenient, but be at least honest that you are cheating. Your excuses mean diddly squat and that style of playing makes unsuitable for any form of competitive play.
>>
>>5300446
Who are you addressing?
>>
All of the savestate kiddies.
>>
>>5300446
>>5300459
No! Save states aren't cheating! It's just a tool to forge your skills! Fuck you dadshit!
>>
>>5300463
>No! Save states aren't cheating! It's just a tool to forge your skills! Fuck you dadshit!
That has to be satire.
>>
>>5300438
But a lot of Japanese players practice at home with states. There's no way to verify they haven't so it can't even be enforced. So your obsession is a bit weird to say the least.
Also something that's changed quite a bit over there is the standarizaton of autofire or, in other words, moving away from tapping as a mechanic in shmups. Modern shmups (and modern by shmup standards is the last 20-25 years) did away with making you tap super fast to do more damage (they usually either became all about just holding fire or light tapping to have a different attack with the same button). But that's not all, because older games that are indeed designed around tapping, say Raiden have autofire buttons there, and not only that, autofire is the standard they use for scoring competition. This is thus another cheat that makes the games easier that became standard practice over the years, something you didn't have back then. The main reason is that tapping damaged machines, but also players didn't find it that engaging. There are also health issues related to tapping. Personally, I don't play with autofire because it makes many old shmups that I like less exciting, but I'm a survival player who doesn't play excessively so it's fine.
>>
>>5300465
>But a lot of Japanese players practice at home with states.
And I bet they don't go around online claiming to be "skilled" on taiwanese cartoon boards.
>>
>>5300464
It's just falseflag-kun, see here where he gets called out: >>5300316
>>
>>5300470
But they get the WRs
>>
>>5300472
That's just you being paranoid.
>>
>>5300479
And they don't go around online claiming to be skilled on taiwanese cartoon boards and doing cross-board shitposting wars.
maybe save state-abusing westies can learn a thing or two from them.
>>
>>5300480
Nah, it's right, that's why you resort to "m-muh paranoia".
>>
>>5300482
You can stop being assblasted any moment now lmao
>>
>>5300480
Just like how the Jewish Question is mere paranoia, right?
>>
>>5300501
RIP my thread
>>
>>5300489
>>5300501
>n-no y-you!
You're paranoid fucks that think your own kind are falseflaggers. But no, that's just how retarded you are. Embrace it.
>>5300512
It was dead since this actual falseflag post: >>5290279
>>
>>5300525
4 days up and over 300 replies, I'd say that's not dead, particularly considering the genre and the board, and it was all thanks to you. I mean getting suddenly removed by pure coincidence.
>>
>>5300525
Acting like "our own kind" is falseflagging, dipshit. We all know you don't play these games and are only here to "trigger" shmup players, and failing.
>>
>>5300540
Most of this thread is just you and some other fuck (maybe just you without namefagging) getting triggered each and every time someone mentions Save States.
>>
>>5300552
I don't see much triggering besides some guy who reaaally has to let us know again and again about his stance on save states. I honestly don't mind, again, I welcome his bumps. In the meantime we've had some actual discussion which is the important part.
>>
>>5300541
You think I'm the one who made these "falseflag" posts, but I didn't. I'm just noting that you're paranoid. I don't even know why you think that anon was falseflagging when he's on your side, saying save states aren't cheating, etc.
>We
Speak for yourself. Also no, you don't shit.
>>
>>5300569
It's definitely more than just one guy. I saw this thread on page 0 and decided to join the discussion. Save states are cheating, no matter what angle you decide to look at it.
>>
>>5300552
the only one triggered here is you, lad
>>
>>5300582
In what way? I actually don't mind if you guys use save states. Use them if you want, lol.
>>
>>5300571
>denial
>delusion
>lying
>projection
Shoo shoo, little jew.
>>
>>5300586
Eh, whatever. Think what you want.
save states is still cheating and not what's intended.
>>
>>5300587
Nobody really uses savestates in full, real runs anyway so not sure why you're wasting so much time drilling this point in. People post their input files and recordings of their gameplay that demonstrate they don't use them.
>>
>>5300603
This. Save states are perfectly fine. We use them to practice.
>>
>>5300603
>Nobody really uses savestates in full, real runs anyway
Billy Mitchell did it all the time. And I see lots of Youtubers that are cheating faggots thinking no one notices the impossible things they were doing.
>>
>>5296921
>no YOU
pathetic, it's like arguing with a toddler whose brain hasn't even developed enough to lie
>>
>>5300612
Billy got his WR scores before MAME was even a thing, though. Also people withnessed his runs.
>>
>>5300625
Also he had the rules changed to allow his "first" "historic" perfect Pac-man so that it would seem more impressive....
>>
>>5300603
>>5300604
Fuck off falseflaggers.
>>
>>5300625
>Billy got his WR scores before MAME was even a thing, though. Also people withnessed his runs.
Oh Billy, stop your lies. Almost none of your runs were witnessed by people and it's been proven that you MAMEd the famous VHS tape seen in the King of Kong. You're a cheater.
>>
>>5300627
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjtn3EEG65Q

Billy MAMEchell slurring his speech because he's been drinking heavily^

>"Midwetht Game Clathic"
>>
>>5300571
It's falseflagging because no one who's actually into playing STGs cares if you use savestates as a learning aid, so there's no reason to argue over it. Nobody pushes the zoomer vs. boomer D&C either.

>Speak for yourself. Also no, you don't shit.
Come on. You get evasive whenever anyone asks you to prove you're into playing arcade games. It's obvious you're only here to troll and derail the thread by spamming inane bullshit because you don't like our community.
>>
>>5300673
>our community.
Please, don't speak for the whole shmup community.
>>
>>5300673
It's OK this has kept the thread visible for a good while so more people get to know about based Tatsujin Oh
>>
liar liar pants on fire, cheaters never prosper.
>>
>>5300678
>so more people get to know about based Tatsujin Oh
Different anon here, and you're doing good work. I discovered Truxton II in MAME back in 2007 and it's an experience. The music beats the original's music too.
>>
>>5300707
You're welcome. In a way this particular flavor of shmup hasn't been made since, to my knowledge; Dangun Feveron comes a bit close I guess.
>>
>>5300713
>Dangun
Needs more bosses.
>>
>>5300761
the fuck? it's a perfect game in length, pace, scoring and bosses, it doesn't need any changes.
>>
>>5300580
Ok, but who cares about cheating during practice? Same as if some guy used the konami code to learn all the levels in Contra before restarting and doing the full thing on 1 credit. Does that make his real run without the use of the konami code less valid? Dumb.
>>
>>5301474
yes its invalid. People should be required to submit all their practicing in addition to their actual run to show they never used save states to practice.
>>
>>5301479
Agreed, anyone who wants to go for any kind of score should get other people to set up 24/7 surveillance in case they decide to use cheats, savestates or find out about any strategy from others even accidentally. All other times and scores are invalid
>>
>>5301484
thank you
>>
>>5301467
Good job missing the point, they were comparing other shmups to Tatsujin, Dangun would need more bosses to really be Tatsujin-like.
>>
>ywn be this cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2SPPQCxmow
>>
>>5302276
Based
https://vgmrips.net/packs/pack/dogyuun-toaplan-2
>>
>>5293285
On PCB. Most PCBs on that era couldn't manage to handle coop plays.
>>
>>5303749
If you want some massive co-op slowdown, check out Giga Wing's final boss with the combo of blue and green ships. Very fun co-op 1CC btw

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.