[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: n64-zeldas.jpg (114 KB, 1024x480)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Majoras mask is better than ocarina in almost every way.
>>
Okay.
>>
>>5288549
Majora's Mask was a better game, Ocarina of Time was a better continuation of the Zelda series.
>>
>>5288549
i agree, though it could've used a couple more dungeons, as well designed as they were unlike wind Waker

just five if you include The Well+Ikana Castle (has a boss too)
>>
>>5288596
what does Wind Waker have to do with this discussion?
>>
>>5288549
MM is the better game but OoT did more on history and was more revolutionary, MM reused shitton of stuff from OoT. That said if I had to replay one right now it would be MM
>>
People always complain about "backtracking" in games (even when it's thematically appropriate), but Majora was the worst for this. This is not even taking the time aspect into account, I have literally no problem with that. The game world is tiny; it consists of one large town that you will trod endlessly, and a field that exists solely to be a dungeon hub (of which there are only 4). They don't even disguise this as the layout is just a "plus" sign, essentially. One could argue that the rest of the exploration is being done in the fourth dimension, but nothing changes geographically. All you are doing in this game is repositioning yourself slightly during the same events and in the same locations non-stop to uncover minor events. You might get the standard loot you get in Zelda sidequests like heart containers, or you'll get a mask. These masks tend to either do nothing useful (often something obscure) or are a tool used to get another mask.

I'm not saying this makes Majora bad. I like the game. But it's a game for people who enjoy "curiosities," not actual gameplay.
>>
>>5288635
>But it's a game for people who enjoy "curiosities," not actual gameplay.
This is a great way of putting it.

I'm convinced the people who keep posting threads about how MM was better than OoT haven't actually tried to sit down and play it again in the last ~10 years. It's really not fun.
>>
>>5288679
>>5288635
They have so much of the same gameplay and level design, calling them different based purely on that is a bald faced lie.
Majora's mask is basically an expansion pack of oot.

And oot has plenty of backtracking, if not for temples as an adult then for finding collectables like skulltulas and heart peices. Furthermore the games are fucking adventure games of course there will be backtracking. It's not a fucking linear fps.
>>
>>5288549
It’s just a bunch of sidequests
>>
>>5288687
There’s backtracking in OoT, but in Majora that’s the whole game. In OoT you get dungeons at a steady pace. In Majora, from the time you get transformed back into Link and get the journal, that’s essentially the game telling you “OK, start looking for Skultullas now.” You get dungeons, but they’re just tacked on. They’re not events that have weight like in OoT. The game could barely care less if you even do them.

Pointing out that it’s the same graphics, controls, sound, etc. as OoT is meaningless. Yeah it’s an expansion pack basically, I’m glad it’s there. But because it has a little more character in some respects doesn’t mean I’ll pick it over OoT if we’re comparing them as discrete games.
>>
>>5288723
>In OoT you get dungeons at a steady pace. In Majora, from the time you get transformed back into Link and get the journal, that’s essentially the game telling you “OK, start looking for Skultullas now.”
that's your brain making shit up and imposing goals. it's literally a logbook for completed sidequests. To help you keep track of what you've done.
>>
>>5288725
That had nothing to do with what he said.
>>
>>5288725
And that’s totally fine, but now we’re back to my “curiosities” post. Again we’re not arguing whether or not Majora is shit. It just has less actual, tangible content and not much weight to anything you do putting it head-to-head with OoT. And that’s not even acknowledging that OoT had lore bits and side content of its own, it’s not like Majora filled a void.
>>
File: inn_kitchen2.jpg (220 KB, 1280x960)
220 KB
220 KB JPG
*bubbling soup*
>>
>>5288635
Dense microcosm > empty pointless field
>>
>>5288734
It has WAY more fucking content than ocarina. Ocarina is short and the only sidequests are 2 shitty ass trading quests. The world is empty and boring.
>>
>>5288596
Snowhead sucks.
>>
>>5288635
>time is the 4th dimension
Retard detected
>>
Maybe, but it's still a Zelda game and thus shit.
>>
I started the 3DS version of Majora's Mask on the emulator and it runs so well and looks a lot better on fullscreen, it's pure kino
>>
>>5289879
The 3DS remakes are good but sadly they fucked up Zora Link's swimming on it.
>>
>>5289587
tbf the empty field did feel pretty epic when i played it for the first time
>>
I just do not think that Ocarina is fun. I have fucking one friend who stands by me on this.

>Dungeons=boring
>Combat=bad and boring
>Story=boring
>Sidequests=not worth it
>World building=eh
>Graphics=a big deal for the time so I can respect that

I simply do not have fun when I play this game. I've played up to the Shadow Temple and I've lost all interest in the game. I have zero drive to beat it. It's not a trainwreck of a game but it's horribly overrated to my tastes.

Meanwhile Majora is like a 9/10 game and I love almost everything about it.
>>5288703
It's still better than Ocarina
>>
>>5289897
We don't care for experiences here, objective videogame reviewing only cares about disassembling every aspect into soulless building blocks and flowcharts.
>>
Yes
>>
>>5288549
the saving sucks
>>
>>5289893
what did they do?
>>
>>5291030
He swims slower now. You can still swim fast by using the shield, but it drains magic.

It makes underwater corridors easier to navigate.
>>
>>5290024
water temple>>>>

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.