[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: DQ3.png (728 KB, 976x2544)
728 KB
728 KB PNG
Let's have a thread to discuss DQ3. Not DQ5. Not DQ 7. Just Dragon Quest III.

It seems to be one of the most famous, if not the best considered DQ. Yet it is one that doesn't rely too much into storytelling/characters. Just a big world, linear in principle until halfway through the game when you can freely sail.

Is it still a good game, or only important for its time as a really ambitious (for a jrpg that is)?.

You can also discuss about your favourite quest/character/job/place.
>>
Orochi is a pain in the arse. I beat him and then left the cave to heal instead of going through the portal. So I had to fight him again.
>>
>got to the evil guy place
>getting wrecked by everything
wtf bros
>>5203874
dumb nig, you literally get the option to postpone the fight until you are ready after going through the portal
>>
File: DWIII.png (210 KB, 547x182)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
Also http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestiii/

>It is often mistakenly thought that in 1988 the game's success caused the Japanese government to outlaw further releases of Dragon Quest games on school days. In truth, Enix themselves decided to hold off the release of future Dragon Quest games until weekends.

I wonder if there exists a documentary on DQ
>>
File: 300px-DQIII_Baramos.png (105 KB, 300x264)
105 KB
105 KB PNG
Never beat this fat motherfucker.
>>
I played it on GBC. The personality test made a big impression on me at the time.

The ghost ship music and Alefgard dungeon music made me feel like 8-bit sound has an underutilized potential for horror.
>>
>>5203869
>halfway through the game when you can freely sail.
It's a lot earlier than halfway.
>>
>>5203869
Is DQ considered open world?
>>
File: dq3pep.png (111 KB, 1092x1370)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>5203869
mfw DQ3 is so good that it ruins my enjoyment of the rest of the series
>>
>>5203869
The overworld theme gets me pumped for adventuring.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=ia9uOLIzoow
Kinda cheap how the bosses regenerate hp and the game doesn't tell you.
>>
>>5205132
>Kinda cheap how the bosses regenerate hp and the game doesn't tell you.

It was due to how that those early DQ games were coded, they could only have a certain max hp so they cheated around it by have the hp regain to make them seem like they had more hp
>>
>>5205156
Even at the time of the sfc remake they were limited in how much hp bosses could have? Or they just didn't feel like changing it?
>>
>>5205175
I heard they changed it for the remake
>>
File: DQIII_Romaria.png (469 KB, 488x500)
469 KB
469 KB PNG
>>5204562
Is unique not only as a DQ title but also among jrpgs. I prefer this kind of freedom in the contest of a big quest (find the orbs) that simply visting towns just for the shake of it.

>ywn play DQ3 for the first time the day of the release.
>>
File: 1473375479737.png (25 KB, 256x224)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>5204562
4 and 5 are cool in my book as well, but the games after feel like lawn-moving rather than an adventure. Too much dialogue, linear, small areas...
>>
>can only remove the Hero from the party in the post-game when there's nothing left to do

I just want to do a Sage solo, man.
>>
>>5205730
Make a save at the beginning of the game, then go through the entire game only saving via savestates.

Barring that, you can just let the hero die and never revive him.
>>
File: overworld.gif (3.44 MB, 4096x4096)
3.44 MB
3.44 MB GIF
Do you think this game has any secreft left hidden to this day?
>>
So I keep hearing about people who turn fighters into soldiers, or vice-versa. I cannot for the fucking life of me fathom the point of this. Can someone explain, please?
>>
>>5207797
presumably switching from one melee class to another lets you boost your relevant stats really high
>>
>>5207834
... Except no, it doesn't. Your stats get halved when you class change, and besides which, the game has a range for every stat at any given level. If your stat is over that range then it won't increase when you level up. At best you get a small bonus for at most a couple levels, at the expense of being several thousand XP behind the rest of the party.
>>
>>5207797
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Martial_Artist
https://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Warrior
It seems to me that a Soldier has more defense and hp, and a Fighter has more attack and agility. So if you class change into the other you can more or less cover each other's shortcomings.
>>
>>5207869
>Soldier
>Fighter
>Martial Artist
>Warrior
Does anybody else get confused by this? Martial artist is obviously some kind of monk, excelling in unarmed combat but the other three seem synonymous.
>>
>>5207881
They really should have named it Monk.
>>
>>5207869
Except.
For.
The.
Stat.
Cap.
>>
>>5207881
It's very similar, but I guess if you really wanted to defend it, it could broken to something like

Soldier: structured in strategy's of fighting

Fighter: like a Street fighter or bar brawler

Warrior: closest to a soldier, but more of a barbarian/Savage. A combination of soldier and fighter.
>>
>>5207917
Zoomer. There's no stat cap, stop making things up.
>>
>>5203869
eh? whats up with these graphics? ruined
>>5205132
eh? whats up with this music? ruined
>>
>>5207932
i wish there was a stat cap

once i used game genie to get 255 str on my hero, but then i leveled up the hero...
oh god that was a horrible playthrough
>>
>>5203869
This is probably an unpopular opinion, but I really didn't like DQ3 or DQ2. I liked DQI just fine, but until DQIV something just didn't "feel" right. Why is that? To me all the other DQ games (that I've played) are recommendable, except for DQ3 and 2.
>>
>>5208030
4 starts turning into a final fantasy to me--not good.
4 doesn't have quite the same beauty as 3
>>
>>5205132
what music is that which you linked?

THIS is what the overworld theme is suppose to sound like -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb4DV62j5hA&index=21&list=PL96D9679006090549
>>
>>5203869
Dragon Quest III really perfected the episodic structure that would come to define many of the best JRPGs. Dragon Quest I and II definitely laid the groundwork, but locations like Garin's Grave in DQI didn't really have the same strength of narrative and dungeon design DQ III had.
>>
>>5208037
I disagree, I think DQ IV set the narrative template that would be copied by future final Fantasy titles.
>>
>>5205730
There are codes, a save editor, and a debug menu you can use to replace the Hero with a Sage.
Makes me wonder if the game has the Sage's lv1-lv19 stats encoded, since you can only get one at lv20 legit (iirc).
>>
>>5208509
I mean FF6 takes a lot from DQ4. DQ4 just takes all the classes and make them into real characters. FF6 takes all the classes from FF5 and turn them into characters. Feel the big difference is DQ4 all the characters have the same goal to find the hero/heroine and save the world. Some was more selfish than others but overall that's the reason. FF6 has way too many characters and most of their reasoning for being in the party has no sense.

Feel the beauty of DQ games is even when they have a story there's a clear focus where all the playable characters have just amount of character to be enjoyable but never enough to bog down the main story.

FF just loves complications in their stories. Between so many characters each having their own thing that most doesn't have anything to do with the main story. Past history that is never fully explained (like FF3 that hints of in the past the world of light tried to destroy dark which lead to warriors of darkness but that's about it). Maybe that's why I enjoy FF5 so much. It's a fun simple story but it's focus with the only complication is just the job system.
>>
>>5208649
When you change classes you're reduced to lv1.
>>
File: overworld.png (295 KB, 4096x4096)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>5209536
Also DQ likes to drop you in an area where you might find one or two dungeons and a town, it feels like there is more space for exploration. FF on the other hand makes you you experience everything in the right sequence.
>>
>>5210393
The first 2 FFs were a lot less rail-roaded. Hell, FFI even offers some different dialogue if you go around beating the Fiends in a different order. It's minimal, but it shows Square wanted to do more open-ish world and game(s).
>>
So, SNES or Game Boy version? Which one should I play?
>>
>>5210507
SNES version looks and sounds better, but the GBC version is (slightly) more polished overall (because it came later,) and has a second bonus dungeon, while the SNES version only has the one.
>>
>>5210631
Are the bonus dungeon anything interesting though? Or just some run of the mill boss fights and whatnot?
>>
>>5210664
You get stuff for killing the boss at the end, but... since you're literally at the end of the game and there's nothing else to do, they're pretty much just trophies. If you enjoy doing bonus dungeons for the challenge of it, go for the GBC port. If not, you might as well stick with the SFC version.
>>
>>5210667
Sounds good. I'll probably do a run on the SFC version first then. If I ever want to replay, I'll just give the GBC version a shot.
>>
File: DWIII.png (318 KB, 1638x543)
318 KB
318 KB PNG
>>5210507
Feel SNES is the better version. While GBC a slightly more polished with bonus stuff SNES looks amazing and also because of the higher resolution you have a better time exploring the world and in towns. Feel the only reason you should touch the GBC version is if you are playing on an actual GBC for the portability.
>>
>>5203895
God I love Toriyama's artwork
>>
>>5210737
He's an amazing artist when he isn't phoning it in to hastily meet a deadline.
>>
>>5210737
Some of them go weird places but as many said before he is one of the best monster designer in all of video games.
>>
>>5210832
His mecha designs are also nice.
>>
>>5209536
>most of their reasoning for being in the party has no sense.
FF9 Amaranth going "I'm gonna follow you around and see for myself this power of friendship you're talking about" is literally the worst. Followed by characters joining you for just a sidequest and then just... sticks around like some creep.

Say what you want about FF13, but I love how that game handled party cohesion (or lack thereof).
>>
>>5210841
He really loves drawing lots of detail on things he love. I do wonder what would happen if he quit Dragon Ball before Z. Not really because of anything after original Dragon Ball but because you could tell he was forced to continue to do more and more action when he was more of a fun gag artists. He prefer to be weird with puns everywhere. And while Z had those with names overall the move to how serious things got in Z (you can tell it was going that direction post Red Ribbon) most likely drained him and made him not want to do anything really again after that outside of a few new monsters here and here for Horii.
>>
File: 60637677_p0.jpg (618 KB, 1233x760)
618 KB
618 KB JPG
>>
File: 19521970_p0.jpg (396 KB, 1500x800)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
>>
File: 4536983_p0.jpg (1008 KB, 1200x810)
1008 KB
1008 KB JPG
>>
>>5210851
X solved the problem pretty nicely (even if shitty): anyone can be a Guardian for the Summoners.
>>
>>5210993
FF8 felt like it was doing well binding the cast. Since they all came from some Garden. But than had to put a twist about those specific people where important.
>>
>>5211097
It's still an alright excuse, all things considered. Still better than VII and IX, for instance.
>>
>>5211190
Feel we are taking over the thread with FF.

Anyways DQ charm is in how it gives just enough to the world and situation of the world to make you enjoy it. DQ3 really started the whole each area has it's own tiny story that might or might not actually involve the big baddy but it gives you a feeling of saving the world one bit at a time.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.